Why Do We Love to Hate Women Like Yaya Han?

Liana Kerzner

New member
May 6, 2015
165
0
0
Why Do We Love to Hate Women Like Yaya Han?

Yaya Han is a beautiful woman. This means that she attracts a lot of attention. This, in turn, draws the ire of some commenters who attack her as a person.

Read Full Article
 

votemarvel

Regular Member
Legacy
Apr 11, 2020
1,353
2
13
Country
England
Can't say I'd ever heard of her before this article but her costumes are pretty damn amazing.
 

Karadalis

New member
Apr 26, 2011
1,065
0
0
I think she would make one heck of an awesome Rita Repulsa cosplay.

About hatred and negative comments though...

Everyone that has ever put something online and just gets an ounce of attention by the internet will receive hate... thats how people work. This has been the case for anyone even before the internet was a thing, from Marylin Monroe to Arnold Schwarzenegger everyone received hatred that was in the public eye.

This phenomenom has little to to with sex or gender and more to do with people being kinda shitty as people sometimes turn out to be. ESPECIALLY when they think they are anonymous and no one will ever know that they behaved like a shitlord today.

The good news is though that 99,9 % of the populace wont hate on you... heck they might not even know you exist.


Theres one thing that irks me especially about your article thought:

"Why WE love to hate WOMEN like YAYA HAN?..." is quite the opening gambit cause it assumes alot about people in general.

It assumes that people actually know her. (i didnt)

It assumes that people love to hate her. (i dont)

It assumes this hatred is based on her sex. (i dont.. why would i hate her for being a woman again?)

None of wich are true in most cases.

Comment sections are usually shit because people who like the content usually dont go out of their way to say so. People who dont like the content have the urge to make their dislike known however. I dont know why this is the case but negativity usually propells people to comment instead of positivity.

So the case might be that more people actually like her then hate her, only that these people dont post for whatever reason and all thats left is a very loud and obnoxius minority (as is usually the case)

So your title should be less "why people hate women like xxx" and more like "why do people on the internet openly hate on other people on the internet"
 

BloodRed Pixel

New member
Jul 16, 2009
630
0
0
I think this is an apropriate comment:

No One Lives Forever, PC, Scene where Agent Archer meets Agent "Melvin" Goodman first time -
brillant as ever:
https://youtu.be/UoXoh7hwmZM?t=2h29m24s
 

Zelderahn

New member
Feb 19, 2014
37
0
0
Luckily I think the general public have greater things to spend their energy on than hating on Cosplayer 'x'.

She's actually pretty darn spectacular, props on the effort and enthusiasm.
 

Sniper Team 4

New member
Apr 28, 2010
5,433
0
0
My friend sends me pictures of her occasionally on Facebook. He adores her because, as he puts it, "she so FIERCE!!!" And I always agree. No matter what costume she's wearing, I always find myself whistling in amazement.

Okay, yes. Often one of the first, if not the first, things I notice in her pictures are her breasts. Because wow. You'd have to be blind NOT to seem them in some of the outfits she wears. And considering the fact that a lot of those characters are well endowed (to the point where back pain comes to mind for some), you're really going to notice it when it's on a real life person.
But I'm always more impressed with her costumes. Her attention to detail is staggering. When I saw a picture of her as Mad Moxxi, I thought the character had come to life. From the crazy outfit, down to the facial makeup, she nailed it all perfectly. And her dressing as Ada Wong is spot on, maybe even better than the actress who played her in the movie. Even that Catwoman picture in this article is breathtaking because she looks so much like the character she's playing.

I've never understood how people can get upset at someone like her. It boggles my mind, because if I ever run across a woman who is not only that attractive, but is that hard core into nerdy stuff that I like and is dressed up to the point where it looks like she stepped out of one of my favorite games, I'm going to be nothing less that impressed. And possibly asking for her autograph.
 

Razhem

New member
Sep 9, 2008
169
0
0
What´s the controversy?After watching the Yaya Han interview on another escapist topic, she seems to have the right idea "I like how I feel doing it, I don´t give a fuck what people think about it". She seems to me that she should be admired, not ridiculed because of her passion.
 

Coreless

New member
Aug 19, 2011
298
0
0
That is why you don't idolize people in the first place, respect them but never idolize because its creates nothing but delusion. Also I think its safe to say that many people are just jealous of both her looks and ability to create great cosplay, shes beautiful and is willing to show it off and for many people that is tantamount to a sin these days.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,788
845
118
Country
Argentina
But I really do love Yaya Han, Liana.
I love her in many ways.
I love her for who she is, and for the way she makes my body feel.
Hate I leave for war and clickbait.
 

Ihateregistering1

New member
Mar 30, 2011
2,034
0
0
I know next to nothing about Cosplay, so I have a question regarding people like Yaya Han, Jessica Nigri etc.

I get that they are models in the traditional sense beyond cosplay (calendars and photo shoots and what-not), but do they make money off cosplay? If so, how? Do they get paid by Comic-con or E3 or whomever to dress up and just show up and walk around the convention? Or do they just love doing cosplay that much? It just seems like it would be too expensive of a hobby to do on a constant basis.
 

Adeptus Aspartem

New member
Jul 25, 2011
843
0
0
Just talkin' about the title here. Why should i hate Yaya Han? I met her personally at the Fantasy Basel 2015 and she's a nice lady, does alot for cosplay and is very talented.

Ihateregistering1 said:
I know next to nothing about Cosplay, so I have a question regarding people like Yaya Han, Jessica Nigri etc.

I get that they are models in the traditional sense beyond cosplay (calendars and photo shoots and what-not), but do they make money off cosplay? If so, how? Do they get paid by Comic-con or E3 or whomever to dress up and just show up and walk around the convention? Or do they just love doing cosplay that much? It just seems like it would be too expensive of a hobby to do on a constant basis.
I know they got paid coming to the Fantasy Basel, they also had their own booth and she does workshops about cosplay too. So i guess it's a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Model, teacher, performer, judge, celebrity.
 

BabySinclair

New member
Apr 15, 2009
934
0
0
I like her for her cosplay but I don't like her views on cosplay. SciFi, SyFy, whatever that channel calls itself now, did a cosplay based show on which she routinely popped up on and it really irked me when one of her views that she espoused constantly is don't cosplay out of your body type, which isn't a good message. Thing she also said a few things about basic amateur cosplay that boiled down to, "if you can't devote a lot of time/money into it, don't do it."

Nothing against her looks, I'm a hetero-male, how could I? It's just that I've heard statements from her that really strike me wrong way.
 

Charli

New member
Nov 23, 2008
3,445
0
0
Never heard of her, but that's a talent. That Diablo 3 Wizard is on point.

Also this isn't news, beautiful women attract hatred all over the place, my Sister is a conventionally attractive girl who does make up stunningly well and takes fantastic pictures. Some of the comments from men and women are sickening to read in her email and comments section. I, in contrast are an average looking frumpy curmudgeon in a cardigan and a messy bed head.

But alas, this is the world we live in isn't it, No one really wants to discuss or change it or people are 'social justice warrioring' or 'white knighting'. When the femenazi's march in to take away scumbags rights to humiliate and demean women. Oh the horror.

That girl up there might be a horrible person, who knows, I don't, but she doesn't deserve hatred based on pictures alone, that's inane and sad. Women of all creed, colour, weight and looks get hatred for different reasons and I long for a day it stops, but really it's only the ones that stay quiet and demean their own self worth that dodge the bulk of it, that's a horrible precedent to set. But I observe it regularly.

People are people. Stop doing this.
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
18,159
1
3
Country
UK
Do we really need to give her any more attention?

Don't get me wrong, I liked her and she was fine with the curreny attention she was getting but now she's getting more cos of that stupid video presented her and cosplay in the wrong light.
 

UberPubert

New member
Jun 18, 2012
385
0
0
I probably wouldn't have clicked on this article if it weren't the title (for shame), but I'm glad to see other commenters have picked up on what bothered me.

It goes without saying I don't really know of Yaya and I certainly don't hate her. I'm pretty sure after watching the interview the only people who do hate her are jealous women and maybe some male cosplayers who feel like she's taking attention away from them because of her looks and choices in costume. To the casual, outside observer, she just seems like another nice, talented cosplayer from an already huge community of people.

As for the politicization of Yaya's choices in costume and appearance, it really just seems like sex-negative feminists getting in a tizzy over something they really don't understand. Some women really do just want to be pretty sometimes.
 

Ihateregistering1

New member
Mar 30, 2011
2,034
0
0
BabySinclair said:
...did a cosplay based show on which she routinely popped up on and it really irked me when one of her views that she espoused constantly is don't cosplay out of your body type, which isn't a good message.
I dunno, isn't the character's physical appearance and body type a part of them as a character as well? I mean, ultimately it's cosPLAY (emphasis mine) and it's supposed to be fun, so you can dress up as whomever you like, but if I had a male friend who was 5'7, 150 lbs and he was asking me for cosplay ideas, I probably wouldn't recommend The Incredible Hulk or RE5 Chris Redfield.
 

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
2,315
1
43
Country
United States
Karadalis said:
I think she would make one heck of an awesome Rita Repulsa cosplay.
Funny you should say so. I believe there was a pic of her doing just that in this video.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/agents-of-cosplay/57479-Yaya-Han-Cosplay

The link Liana has in her article will probably lead to better examples though.

Anyway.
Karadalis said:
About hatred and negative comments though...

Everyone that has ever put something online and just gets an ounce of attention by the internet will receive hate... thats how people work. This has been the case for anyone even before the internet was a thing, from Marylin Monroe to Arnold Schwarzenegger everyone received hatred that was in the public eye.

This phenomenom has little to to with sex or gender and more to do with people being kinda shitty as people sometimes turn out to be. ESPECIALLY when they think they are anonymous and no one will ever know that they behaved like a shitlord today.

The good news is though that 99,9 % of the populace wont hate on you... heck they might not even know you exist.


Theres one thing that irks me especially about your article thought:

"Why WE love to hate WOMEN like YAYA HAN?..." is quite the opening gambit cause it assumes alot about people in general.

It assumes that people actually know her. (i didnt)

It assumes that people love to hate her. (i dont)

It assumes this hatred is based on her sex. (i dont.. why would i hate her for being a woman again?)

None of wich are true in most cases.

Comment sections are usually shit because people who like the content usually dont go out of their way to say so. People who dont like the content have the urge to make their dislike known however. I dont know why this is the case but negativity usually propells people to comment instead of positivity.

So the case might be that more people actually like her then hate her, only that these people dont post for whatever reason and all thats left is a very loud and obnoxius minority (as is usually the case)

So your title should be less "why people hate women like xxx" and more like "why do people on the internet openly hate on other people on the internet"
I see where you're coming from with the points about the vocal minority of commenters and that you don't fit that so much, but wouldn't the more "appropriate" title then be "Why does Yaya Han get hate?"?
While there are those with similar issues to Yaya, the article is still mostly about her after all.

While it is true that many many things and peoples on the the web get hate (some less and some more), that observation doesn't really help that much with the overall problem of said hate.
Kind of makes it sound worse honestly.

Also, given the topics mentioned of how/why people were targeting Yaya (as well as Liana and others) while their sex isn't the only motivation, I think it would be a bit hasty to say it played NO part in motivating people to be so hateful.
Yes, the internet will always connect someone with another person that doesn't like them/what they are/what they do, but they'll express dislike of said person for various reasons. Sex being occasionally one of them.

Razhem said:
What´s the controversy?After watching the Yaya Han interview on another escapist topic, she seems to have the right idea "I like how I feel doing it, I don´t give a fuck what people think about it". She seems to me that she should be admired, not ridiculed because of her passion.
Uh, isn't that one of the points of this article? <.<

"On the flip side, don't take cheap shots at women like Yaya Han because you don't like the politics surrounding the ideal of the female body."

As for the controversy? Basically people doing the opposite of the above quote and various other not very nice things.
Such as what this quote mentions.

"It's fine to look at boobs as long as you don't lose sight of the fact that looking at boobs is looking at part of a person."
 

And Man

New member
May 12, 2014
309
0
0
Karadalis said:
Theres one thing that irks me especially about your article thought:

"Why WE love to hate WOMEN like YAYA HAN?..." is quite the opening gambit cause it assumes alot about people in general.

It assumes that people actually know her. (i didnt)

It assumes that people love to hate her. (i dont)

It assumes this hatred is based on her sex. (i dont.. why would i hate her for being a woman again?)
UberPubert said:
It goes without saying I don't really know of Yaya and I certainly don't hate her.
To the casual, outside observer, she just seems like another nice, talented cosplayer from an already huge community of people.
That's the thing: you guys hadn't heard of her; of course you don't hate some rando that you don't know about. You're, as UberPubert stated, "outside observers". But Yaya does get a fairly large amount of hate, and in no small part because of her cosplays which show off her cleavage.

Karadalis said:
So your title should be less "why people hate women like xxx" and more like "why do people on the internet openly hate on other people on the internet"
This article is about cosplay though. "People on the internet openly [hating] on other people on the internet" isn't specific to the subject at hand, while female coplayers such as Yaya receiving hate is fairly abundant within the cosplay "community".


BabySinclair said:
I like her for her cosplay but I don't like her views on cosplay. SciFi, SyFy, whatever that channel calls itself now, did a cosplay based show on which she routinely popped up on and it really irked me when one of her views that she espoused constantly is don't cosplay out of your body type, which isn't a good message. Thing she also said a few things about basic amateur cosplay that boiled down to, "if you can't devote a lot of time/money into it, don't do it."

Nothing against her looks, I'm a hetero-male, how could I? It's just that I've heard statements from her that really strike me wrong way.
Heroes of Cosplay was an absolutely terrible show that was full of manufactured drama and reality TV bullshit that likely did much more harm than good to the image and perception of cosplayers. Jessica Nigri was smart to not go on it.

To the author: Maybe you should've included some mention of the Heroes of Cosplay controversy? I know you don't wanna feed the flames, but in the comments for both this article and your video, there are quite a few posts from people outside the loop that have no idea what controversy/drama you're talking about.
 

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
2,315
1
43
Country
United States
BabySinclair said:
I like her for her cosplay but I don't like her views on cosplay. SciFi, SyFy, whatever that channel calls itself now, did a cosplay based show on which she routinely popped up on and it really irked me when one of her views that she espoused constantly is don't cosplay out of your body type, which isn't a good message. Thing she also said a few things about basic amateur cosplay that boiled down to, "if you can't devote a lot of time/money into it, don't do it."

Nothing against her looks, I'm a hetero-male, how could I? It's just that I've heard statements from her that really strike me wrong way.
Hmm. Yeah, I'm not much for that mentality either. Strange that she would be given her comments about portraying characters of different race. Also, her comments in Liana's interview with her seem to suggest that she thinks you shouldn't care about cosplaying out of body type. Perhaps she's changed her views?

As for the time and money thing. I kind of agree, depending on what she meant.

If she was saying don't get into professional cosplay "if you can't devote a lot of time/money into it", then I see what she means as it is an expensive or at least time consuming thing to do.

But if she meant to just never do it at all, then yeah, that would be silly.

Edit: Hmm. It seems her having those views were a fabrication made up by the Heroes of Cosplay show for "the drama".
Odd a show about heroes sounds like it was run by villains. ;p