Why do we put up with trolls and assholes? (PSN, XBL, and Online gaming in general)

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011

This video reminded me of those people. I had grown so accustomed to it I'd forgotten it was a problem. Then I started wondering (After trying several times in vain to try dealing with them personally), why do we tolerate them? Why don't we kick these people on-sight? Why is it every time someone comes in a game and acts like an asshole nobody does anything about it? I move that the actual decent gamers (That is the ones that don't go around trolling and yelling into their microphones, hollering at any woman real or not, and just generally being offensive dipshits) actually do something about them for once.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Personally I block/kick them or leave the game if I come across people like that. I don't put up with it. But I get what you mean, and I guess it's because there's too many of them. There aren't enough people leading a good example and it's just descended in to this.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Because it's impossible to tell others what to do or how to behave. Further, it's impossible telling between "Trolls"[footnote]I detest that word, for it's frequently used for those who don't agree with a certain person. That being said, imagining that everyone who annoys me is a fat green dwarf sitting under a bridge does have it's appeal.[/footnote] and ordinary people who're just angry.

I mean, stop to think about it. Is the person you're about to kick really a troll, or is he/she/it just having a bad day? I've said a great many things when I had a headache and some 12 year old was yelling at me that I think don't need to be repeated. And I feel like I'm someone who's relatively calm most of the time. Not to mention that you can't always kick someone. It's best to just mute someone if you feel they're being really annoying, or if it's really that bad, just find another lobby/server or notify an admin[footnote]If you're a PC player, that is. If you're a console player you probably, depending on the game, either have to tough it out, mute them, or leave.[/footnote].

Or, even better. Find a community that is filled with nice people of all skill levels[footnote]They can be found, for almost any game if you're willing to look.[/footnote] who play the game for fun and usually have their own server. Again, I'm running off the assumption that you're a PC player, sorry if you're not.

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
Motiv_ said:
You do realize I used the catch-all term "asshole" for those people that aren't being intentionally malicious, but are just, as you said having a bad day, not sociable, cocky , etc. right?

Now my point is nobody does anything about them, nobody tries kicking them , nobody leaves the games, nobody does much of anything to discourage this.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Heh, what's this WE business about? I don't keep a mic or a headset. Nobody has to deal with moron parade if they don't have to.

TehMadness

Jul 2, 2009
Most of the time, other people are either in on the joke, muting them, or simply having their own fun by retaliating. Either way, everyone has their own method of coping with the idiots in-game. I don't think anyone puts up with them any longer than they have to.

And there's no concrete way of getting rid of them. Coming from a guy with much experience adminning a server, often it can be hard to tell who is a seasoned troll, and who is having a bad day. Tools exist to help, such as the BF1942 datenbank, back in the day, but most of the time you play it by ear. They're just a problem that you'll never be able to get rid of, humans being humans.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
AtheistGuy said:
Motiv_ said:
You do realize I used the catch-all term "asshole" for those people that aren't being intentionally malicious, but are just, as you said having a bad day, not sociable, cocky , etc. right?

Now my point is nobody does anything about them, nobody tries kicking them , nobody leaves the games, nobody does much of anything to discourage this.
Well, no, I didn't realize. I don't read that much into the exact words people use, but thanks for clearing that up.

People DO usually do things, you just don't see them. Whenever some moron jumps in game and starts acting like a tit, I just mute him/her and go on my merry way. No theatrics, no drama, and no incentive for them to continue acting like a child. Either the game goes on or they leave. There's no need to try and "Call them out" on it, you can do it on every system, and it gets both the trolls and the assholes. Simple solution.

darron13

Jul 30, 2008
The mute button is a beautiful thing, I use it everytime I play competitive games online, more often than not what people say aren't really useful to what you do in-game.
I don't chat online because more often than not, you won't get any kind of intelligent or useful conversation, sometimes it seems like the most civil gamers are the ones without mics.

arnoldthebird

Sep 30, 2011
That is why I use the mute button, there is no way I could play competitive multiplayer with a mic. Because some people are just ass holes.

If I am playing co-op, and there happens to be an ass hole, I will just leave. This frequently happens in GoW 3 Horde mode. And it's a shame because I love that game mode.

In the end, I think every body tolerates because at the end of the day we just want to relax, play games and have fun

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
To those that say you mute your mics:

I don't mean to sound hostile but I'm starting to get the impression that you're the big reason this is a problem. All muting your mic does is put off having to deal with it while letting them roam free without consequence. Sure muting it is a way to cope with it but ultimately you do everyone a disservice if you don't even try to get rid of the problem (I am fully aware though that there isn't always a way to do so. In those cases mute is the only thing you can possibly do short of leaving the game).

Take a lesson from this poster (And community)

Kheapathic said:
Sadly there are a few reasons, the big one is we need somebody to play with. With the few hours I've spent on the MW3 competitive mode, I wouldn't have had a single game if I left every game with those kind of people. To make it worse they travel in packs and usually have a few friends who are just as bad as them and if they don't, the randoms in the room will probably jump on it because you've made yourself a target. You want to play a game but they cannot be talked down or reasoned with and so you do what you can to tolerate them. The mute function isn't the proper response either, it simply lets you ignore their behavior while they act like fuckwits.

I'm a firm believer in public humiliation and letting a community looks after itself for the most part. If there is a group of unsavory characters, I'm up for letting the group/room decide to ban and what-not. When I used to play MUD's a person could make a public notice about anyone acting like a complete shit; if it didn't go against the game rules then the Mod's wouldn't touch it... however it also allowed for a lot of vigilante justice. One game I played had their own forums and one of the top stickies was a KoS (Kill on Sight) list; these were the assholes, bastards and fuckwits whose life purpose was to be a shit. If their name made it on that list, they wouldn't stick around much longer because everyone was willing to hunt them down and ruin their day.

We put up with them because most online communities don't offer the proper moderation. If the playerbase/victims were to have the ability to meet out the punishment onto assholes, you better believe that people would behave.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I was under the impression that we tolerate it because there is nothing we can do to them. What's the worst you can do to a troll? Type in an angry font? Point out the flaws in their logic? All that makes them do is yell louder. And if you start yelling at them over a headset, you become just as bad. So yeah, we tolerate them because we can't do anything to them. Do anyone honestly think these people would act this way if it were possible to track them down? And if you did track them down, what would you do? Punch them? Yell in their face? Kill them? Pretty sure then you're going to jail. Just like that one guy who tracked down the kid who was calling him names. The kid had it coming, but the guy rightly went to jail.

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
I was under the impression that we tolerate it because there is nothing we can do to them. What's the worst you can do to a troll? Type in an angry font? Point out the flaws in their logic? All that makes them do is yell louder. And if you start yelling at them over a headset, you become just as bad. So yeah, we tolerate them because we can't do anything to them. Do anyone honestly think these people would act this way if it were possible to track them down? And if you did track them down, what would you do? Punch them? Yell in their face? Kill them? Pretty sure then you're going to jail. Just like that one guy who tracked down the kid who was calling him names. The kid had it coming, but the guy rightly went to jail.
You can kick then, ban them, actively impede their attempts at playing with anyone, among other things.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
As an australian gamer, I have to put up with a lot of lag, for me, finding a good connection is more important than finding good people to play with. Ive put up with some epic douchebags just for the sake of being able to kill something i shoot at!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I don't put up with them. If they're on this site, I ban them. If I see them on XBL I mute them give them bad reputation. It's the equivalent of reporting and moving on, I guess. Don't feed the trolls!

A Marcotte

Dec 31, 2011
The major unfortunate factor in all of this, and the unbannability of a troll, is that like their DnD counterpart, a troll will try to regenerate when reprimanded for harassing the peaceful, good-natured locals. (Some even ignore the usual racial weakness of fire(y speech) and acid(ic retorts)) Trolls suffer little in the ways of deterrence. They will attempt, in all ways to return, especially if banned. Why is punishment ineffective to them?

~What they did cheesed someone off really bad; they won, even if they were defeated. You will forever remember the crap-stain on your gaming experience, they tainted a good memory of a good game.

~They glorify in this sort of recognition like a badge of honor. A banned troll is a proud troll, and a proud troll is only more fueled to spread his bad attitude.

~A proud troll also faces a personal challenge: returning to troll another day. They love this challenge, and even if they fail, they know they have a massive amount of other options.

~Trolls will try to convince you that you are just like them for lashing out at their antics. Self defense is not being a troll, (in my opinion, others -will- vary on this) an equally angry-sounding victim of trolling has every right to defend themselves, though they can sometimes be indistinguishable in attitude at this point, from the knob who threw the first punch.

~They paid for the game like the rest of us (And in no way do I endorse acting like a wad online just because you paid money.) Simply put, they feel that because they put the dollars down, that their money gives them the right to enjoy their online gaming experience in their particular way.

~If they can't return to troll another day in one game, they will move on to another. And another. And another. There are simply too many games out there, and that's a potpourri of opportunity for a lot of jerks.

The only real defense against a troll is a strong community and cooperation. Be vigilant. Document offenses both verbal and textual, and be persistent with the owners of your gaming community. You may dislike some of the people you play with, but chances are they've been victims too, and sharing your experiences will only add to a longer list of the slights and misdeeds made by the troll that can be presented.

Screenshot the crap out of things if it's text based in an MMO. Audio capture is great, but sadly, not an option, for gamers who want to get raw evidence of trolls in verbally abusive action. Collect infalliable evidence.

Persistence and making the entertainment provider realize they stand to lose several wallets by keeping one around, that sometimes speaks their language*. You just have to find the right way to infer it, that the troll in question both detracts from gaming experience AND revenue, so that you don't find yourself slapped with the soul-crushing response of 'Eh, we have tons of players, leave if you want.'* (Yes, it can happen.)

*(Not every gaming company is like this. Only one or two Multiplayer game companies stand out as abyssmal for customer support in regards to personal abuse.)

Most importantly:
Disregard, but do NOT ignore the troll. Turn the other way, and sure, mute them if it comes to that. But report them in whatever way you can as well. It's like most other community crimes, neighbourhood silence is begrudging acceptance and complacency. Deny the troll the brunt of your negative attention, and try your best not to flip out. (So hard, sometimes. So, so hard.) But on the other hand, build up their demise. Do it quietly, but with conviction. (If you brag that you're going to ban them, this will be their ultimate ecstacy, the greatest recognition as an ass that they can receive. )

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
I'd marry Bob if I wasn't married.

Brilliant, thanks for sharing this vid, I hadn't seen it.

I have to warn my husband when the trolls are fishing for him when playing Reach. Simple, profound words. And it works.

Don't feed the trolls.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
AtheistGuy said:
Why is it every time someone comes in a game and acts like an asshole nobody does anything about it?
I think the main reason no one does anything about it is that no one CAN do anything about it.
The assholes you meet now and then live far away from you and you can't do anything to make them stop what ever they're doing.

I try to avoid them. I tend to just mute them if their not worth my time. But I have thought of a new way to deal with them if you are in a multiplayer game or similar:

Mute everyone else in the game.
Either place the headset microphone next to the speaker to make an echoing effect or just make a constant loud noise that annoys them.
More likely they won't mute you, but if they do at least you annoyed them for a few seconds.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
AtheistGuy said:
The only real way to deal with trolls is to just ignore them. By muting and banning them, you're only giving them the attention and recognition they want. So the only way to deal with them is to, as you said, put up with them. There will always be people who thrive on the frustration of others. The Internet especially breeds this kind of contempt and disrespect for others. They are Godwin's Law put into action, and unfortunately it's just something we're going to have to deal with.