Why do we put up with trolls and assholes? (PSN, XBL, and Online gaming in general)

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
Lilani said:
AtheistGuy said:
The only real way to deal with trolls is to just ignore them. By muting and banning them, you're only giving them the attention and recognition they want. So the only way to deal with them is to, as you said, put up with them. There will always be people who thrive on the frustration of others. The Internet especially breeds this kind of contempt and disrespect for others. They are Godwin's Law put into action, and unfortunately it's just something we're going to have to deal with.
Sure they get satisfaction when they're banned but it's like that in moderation. When an entire community is actively banning you from every single server it possibly can you find that the lulz quickly run out. You end up having either to make another account (which can involve either buying another or breaking the law) or just quit.

Vault101 said:
is it me or does no one on PSN own a mike?
\\

It's just you.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
what can we actually do about these people?

block/ignore/kick them? the chances of meeting the same person is often low and once they have been rude, cheated or stole its normally to late

Idon'tcareanymore

Dec 29, 2011
Here's how I see it. Ignore them. Doing anything else is just fanning the flame and making the problem worse. Plus, you're getting made which is probably just going to make you're game off. I know when I'm mad I make stupid mistakes like forgetting to check corners. In the end, just muting the mike is the best option. My one big problem here is the video that you used as an example. Bob's argument is that gamers do cause themselves problems by habits they form through gaming. He's trying to open up a discussion, not be a troll. Wasn't there a better clip, or other media, to use to show an example of "troll?"

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Okay, I know that this is only tangentially on-topic, but you made Bob's video the feature of your thread and I feel compelled to pick it apart.

1. I know he said not to bother pointing out that he's a fat guy giving advice about nutrition, but he is a really fat guy, so where does he get off giving advice about nutrition? Even though it's obviously not directed at me, he's talking in the imperative, and the presumptuous nature of this is annoying as hell because I'm not fat and he is. Very fat.

2. What's with fat people yelling and swearing at cameras? Yes, we get it, you feel strongly about the topic. Calm the fuck down before you give yourself a stroke.

3. How does one imagine that swearing profusely at a camera to make their point is conducive to the notion that people should conduct themselves with respect and decency?

Okay, now that that's out of the way: No, you get the fuck over it. I'm not aiming to be taken seriously and, by extention, I couldn't care less if you are taken seriously. I personally find current attitudes in gaming absolutely hilarious, so grow a sense of humour or get out of my game. I'm not there to validate the respectability of your hobby. I'm there to piss people off and kill things.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well that video and the thread don't exactly match up so I'll just roll with the prime question, why do we keep trolls around?
Because they are always there, people with bad manners are everywhere and it's not us that can change them they have to change themselves.

What we can do at best is educate and expel them from the community until they behave.
Problem with games these days is they allow no server control so you are stuck with the poo flinging monkeys, worse yet they will bait others to play into their trolling and others will start to pick up that behavior (especially people new to the community).
If not beaten down sooner or later it becomes a self perpetuating troll fest and in rare cases it gets so bad the default community behavior is trolling.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
manic_depressive13 said:
Okay, I know that this is only tangentially on-topic, but you made Bob's video the feature of your thread and I feel compelled to pick it apart.

1. I know he said not to bother pointing out that he's a fat guy giving advice about nutrition, but he is a really fat guy, so where does he get off giving advice about nutrition? Even though it's obviously not directed at me, he's talking in the imperative, and the presumptuous nature of this is annoying as hell because I'm not fat and he is. Very fat.
Id argue that Fat Guys have nutrition mastered. They most likely get all the nutrients they need from the various things they eat. Its just the energy intake part of eating they have issues with!

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Fieldy409 said:
Id argue that Fat Guys have nutrition mastered. They most likely get all the nutrients they need from the various things they eat. Its just the energy intake part of eating they have issues with!
Um, no? I think you've missed the whole point of nutrition. Your energy intake is meant to equal your energy output. You're also meant to avoid foods that are high in saturated fat, which are the foods that lead to obesity. If you're fat you don't have nutrition "mastered", you have it backwards.

Shemming

Jun 12, 2010
Enforce age restrictions. Number of screaming twelve year olds is down, percentage of normal gamers is up.

But if we got rid of trolls who would we have left to complain about?

Magnus

Dec 12, 2011
You get that sort on Amazon reviews too, usually they'll write a one star, two sentence review or if they've got a chip on their shoulder a two paragraph review just because the probably lost an argument at a party or the fans remind them of a stereotype.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
One reason is that in all my time on Xbox live I've only encountered a handful of people actually doing something wrong. You can mute them if they're annoying you, and you can report them to XBLPET if they're actually breaching CoC, but many of the people that complain are the ones that expect people to remain dead silent on the mic, and fair to you if that's how you play but you can't expect everyone to adhere to that.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
TBH, I've found the only good way to deal with trolls is to essentially troll them . . . that's not saying feed them (by reacting to their antics), nor ignore them, but instead push their buttons casually. Without resorting to screaming, yelling, threatening (even to get a mod involved), negatviely egg them on without showing that they're getting a rise out of you. If you can keep a calm, collected tone, don't be afraid to fire up the mic and offer witty, cynical and sarcastic retorts. Most trolls will become frustrated quickly (especially if others start following suit), and will leave of their own accord for more ripe harvest elsewhere.

Things that work well:

*casually pointing out that they have some real shitty skills (most trolls do), especially after you've killed them or otherwise . . . even more-so if you can start a humilitation or domination spree on them . . . don't simply put them down, but mention things like "wow - you can't blame that one on server lag," "holy shit, my grandmother could've avoided that," "man, you'll do better if you put the vibrator down," etc.

*off-handedly mention their voice reminds you of your nagging girlfriend, and that's kinda making you horny

*repeat the above after some time, but re-word it

*ask them if they've found Jesus, yet . . .

*call out the troll, then mention you were mentally molested as a youngster, and you're just wondering if he can relate

*if not, follow with stating that's a shame, as you both could've had some wonderful conversation - if so, apologize and extend your sympathies for his parents

ideally, you're wanting to incite and make the troll feel EXTREMELLY uncomfortable - which is surprisingly easy to do. Most trolls can dish it out, but not take the abuse (especially if you're a skillful troll yourself). You have to ensure, though, that you're not allowing any emotion to come across in your statements (as that indicate that the troll is actually getting to you, and only serves to feed them).

But warned, though, such behaviour can easily come across as trollish itself, and might incure moderator wrath - but if you refrain from really bad behaviour (i.e. expletives, direct verbal abuse, etc.) you can usually get out of the situation unscathed.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
manic_depressive13 said:

2. What's with fat people yelling and swearing at cameras? Yes, we get it, you feel strongly about the topic. Calm the fuck down before you give yourself a stroke.

3. How does one imagine that swearing profusely at a camera to make their point is conducive to the notion that people should conduct themselves with respect and decency?

Okay, now that that's out of the way: No, you get the fuck over it. I'm not aiming to be taken seriously and, by extention, I couldn't care less if you are taken seriously. I personally find current attitudes in gaming absolutely hilarious, so grow a sense of humour or get out of my game. I'm not there to validate the respectability of your hobby. I'm there to piss people off and kill things.
I think you win this thread.

OT: Really nothing to add i mean , really , trolls are only sucessful if you let them .

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
imperialreign said:
So basicaly you're suggesting we cannibal troll? I guess it's a good idea but a much simpler way of dealing with them is just to have them banned from as many places as possible. Like just a list of ban-on-sight does wonders to stop them.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Because that's what trolls are there for. It's just another gameplay clallenge. Plus sometimes people who troll are actually pretty funny. It's like riffing, Hilarious until it's directed at you. Have any of you seen TeamAvolition? they troll and grief and are hilarious, until they grief your server.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IUONiBd5E&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
Vault101 said:
is it me or does no one on PSN own a mike?
Actually reading threads like this are starting to make me wonder how I ever run into people with mics in online gaming at all, so you'd think this would become a statistical non-issue...Guess this is just a bad sample of the population

imperialreign said:
bravo to you...bravo..... The clan I'm in actually has a rule in our book that we do not start trash-talking/trolling, however we will not just sit idly by and let it be done to us, we WILL end it.. Of course we also follow a mildly strict code of conduct for what we can and can't say, and hearing some of the things we can come up with to destroy trolls while staying within said code is (to me anyway) all part of the fun..

my 1.5 cents:

Bullies, assholes, and griefers have existed in this world throughout history. Yes it was easier to stop them before online gaming because if they pissed you off you could sock them in the jaw (which I believe in itself to possibly be an internet tough guy-ism now, because I just don't see it happening if people are bothered this much by words), to be honest I think people's skin in this world has gotten WAY too thin about everything. It's not even as bad as it used to be in school etc, where if they were bigger than you, just consider your ass kicked and be done with it. All they can do is impotently sit there and say words to you, and if you can't deal with that (or as said before, hit the mute button) then maybe you should rethink having to deal with people at all.

AtheistGuy

Oct 10, 2011
him over there said:
Because that's what trolls are there for. It's just another gameplay clallenge. Plus sometimes people who troll are actually pretty funny. It's like riffing, Hilarious until it's directed at you. Have any of you seen TeamAvolition? they troll and grief and are hilarious, until they grief your server.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IUONiBd5E&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
How is this funny? It's a video of brats who have no consideration for other people's work.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
People like different things I suppose, If you didn't want it wrecked should have built it in single player. My point was it's funny unless it happens to you. I guess that it isn't funny here.

Nimetz

Dec 25, 2011
Eh, I just ignore it. It's a game, not a Politic debate when playing games. Some communities on games just have people who don't know how to act there age. Hence why so far(from personal experience) Dungeon Fighter Online for the most part has a nice community, but could just be my experience playing online games. Everyone finds things differently so, lol.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
You don't have the power to kick people in Console online games generally.

People are annoying in COD or GOW? Tough luck since you can't remove them. Even games which have vote to kick features generally require a large amount of votes and you generally can't kick people on the other team.

So unless you run a private lobby you have no power to "select" who you play with.