Why Do We Shut Out The Different? An Article/Rant

CapnRaccoon

Jun 16, 2010
I read through your post and all I could think about what was how you were over thinking the situation? Perhaps it's merely a genre that people aren't a fan of?
I've never played Flower, but I do own Sleep Is Death; I tried it - And whilst it can be fun, I merely prefer big tits and rocket launchers, it's merely a genre that I prefer, the same way that I prefer Western RPGs over racing or puzzle games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new things that make us go "Oooh, that's nice" - But at the end of the day, maybe it's not for everyone.

Mar 18, 2010
CapnRaccoon said:
I read through your post and all I could think about what was how you were over thinking the situation? Perhaps it's merely a genre that people aren't a fan of?
I've never played Flower, but I do own Sleep Is Death; I tried it - And whilst it can be fun, I merely prefer big tits and rocket launchers, it's merely a genre that I prefer, the same way that I prefer Western RPGs over racing or puzzle games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new things that make us go "Oooh, that's nice" - But at the end of the day, maybe it's not for everyone.
Oh, I can understand that. I was more referring to the rabid, rabid refusal to even try games that are art, unless they're, say, SoTC.

CapnRaccoon

Jun 16, 2010
SnowDensOfYesteryear said:
CapnRaccoon said:

Oh, I can understand that. I was more referring to the rabid, rabid refusal to even try games that are art, unless they're, say, SoTC.
Oh right, well then yea, no one likes those types 8D
Gaming is a massive media and it seems wasted when people aren't willing to try genres.

Mar 18, 2010
Yennick said:
Oh dear lord. I'm going to go curl up in a corner because you reminded me of that game.
Uncomfortable memory? Figured if you were a proponent of "art games" and all you might find that one interesting though. Something about it rub you the wrong way? I suppose it does have plenty of disturbing points and moments to it. Still, I loved it when I played it.
Oh, I loved it. I'm just a pansy and it scared the SHIT out of me.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
...Oohboy.

RowdyRodimus said:
And right here we have an example of an art snob. If someone doesn't care for your pretentious little game that seemingly simulates a scene from another pretentious form of media (in this case American Beauty with the trash and leaves) then automatically the person has ADD and is only interested in killing.
The guy I called ADD-ish said he only got about 20 minutes into the game. If you got twenty minutes into a book and put it down because it didn't immediately have the entertainment that was put on the back of the book, that would be really fucking stupid.

And hey, at least I'm not one of those asshats calling people philistines. ;)

RowdyRodimus said:
Maybe it's because most arty games are all style and no substance. Maybe it's just that they aren't really games and interactive paintings. Maybe it's because people want video games to be, you know, games and not lessons on the creators views on life.
Now tell me, Mister Rowdy, what was the last art game you actually played to any extent? Any? Ever? You seem to be making assumptions that all art games, all of them, are just some devvie's stupid moaning, becoming emo bitches and typing their whiny shit up. Frankly, that's not it at all. I'd like to point out Erik Svëdang's game Blueberry Garden. It's a game mostly just about curiosity and exploration, and it really doesn't force views on you. And it also, happens to be fun. Maybe you have tried indie games, and hated them, but that's like playing a first-person shooter someone made on an engine that was really shitty, and then giving up on first-person shooters entirely because one sucked.
Yes, you can see where I said ALL art games, wait, no you can't because I specifically said MOST. Yes, that does imply the majority but does not mean ALL. Once again you are reading into our words and making it mean whatever helps your point. But I won't worry about that, I'll answer your question.

It really depends on what you consider an art game, now chances are your qualifications for one aren't the same as mine so in your view, I probably haven't played any. But the ones that I think are art games (off the top of my head) that I didn't like were Braid, Ico, the games by The Behemoth (I consider them because at startup the top selling point is the artwork by Dan Paladin), Lights End and a few others. I don't play games on the computer (not that I think consoles are better, but I can't really use my right hand very well, so console controls work better for me), so my familiarity with them isn't as much as yours.

But from the ones I know and have heard about, I stand by my statement that most of them (remember, not all of them) are more style over substance that really play on the disenfranchisment of today's 20-35 year olds or the elitism of certain segments of the gaming population.

I apologize if it seems like I'm railing on you, I'm really not. I was answering the title question and also sticking up for the guy that you claimed had gaming ADD. SO once again, I apologize if it seemed like that. (offers handshake)

(Oh and after 20 minutes I'm usually well into 100+ pages of a book, so I can tell if I'll enjoy it or not lol)