Why do you hate Skyrim?

jhon216

Oct 25, 2011
I was at the midnight release for Skyrim when it came out and have since devoted a healthy portion of my life towards playing it. The game is beautiful, there are more than 12 voice actors, and the story is pretty good. It seems to me that the same people who hated Oblivion because it wasn't more like Morrowind, are now hating Skyrim because it isn't more like Oblivion. I bought Oblivion on its release date and have played it for 500+ hours. I love that game, and I love Skyrim. Let's please keep this civil and explain to me the reason for all the hate. Oh and as for all the glitches and whatnot, patches to fix those will come, as I recall Oblivion had a few of those as well.

shasjas

May 18, 2011
i dont know why anyone would hate it. its might not be to their personal tastes, but its a great game IMO and not worth hating.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Uh... really? I've seen almost no-one dislike the game at all. I myself preferred Morrowind to Oblivion, but I think Skyrim has surpassed both.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Every day my hope that people will stop throwing the word hate around so lightly grows less and less...

OT: I was initially unhappy with Skyrim because of Spell-blades. The Dual-wield system always shows off the ability to use a sword and spell, but that combination is a road full of tears, frustration and inadequacy, as so much is either locked out or hampered, with nothing gained in return. Then I went for a non hybrid, and enjoyed the game.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I can't see why people would hate it but I can see why some people may get frustrated like I did.

Magic user character walking through the wilds then........

Sabre cat. F***ing sabre cat.

jhon216

Oct 25, 2011
yeah the sabre cat can be a d-bag, especially when you're just exploring and haven't saved in a while a BAM!!! an hour of exploration down the drain!

Exerzet

Sep 6, 2010
I don't hate the game per se, but I DO hate the fact that I never tire when playing it. Suddenly it's tomorrow, and I have school o_o;

Odysseous2

Jul 19, 2011
Maybe you're not using the same forums I am. Skyrim threads have been proliferating the forums ever since its release. Why are there so many threads on it? Because everybody loves it! People want to talk about it.

I literally haven't seen a single piece of hate for the game. I've seen criticisms, sure, but not hate. And the fact that you just assume the majority of Escapists hate your little time-swallowing gem leads me to believe that you should get checked for some sort of paranoia.

Skyrim is probably the biggest bandwagon of acclaim this generation. Complaining about people hating Skyrim is like complaining about Hindus hating vegetables. THEY DON'T!

War-hamster

Apr 5, 2010
I don't :D In fact I love this game. But it's true that on the official forums most of the threads are bashing the game.

Supertask

Oct 23, 2011
I love Skyrim and have sunk hours and hours into it, so do most people. Though I think the OP might be right, a few people seem to get very annoyed by aspects which I consider either minor or not bad at all.

Davih

May 7, 2011
I'm getting a bit bored tbh. Played it for 100 hours already though so I'm not surprised. Only 3 achievements to go.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
I have a few complaints some I hate and others that are just annoying.

I hate the world map not the way that its a picture where you can see that 1 area is all snow and another is green but the way you are looking at it at an angle instead of top down. the major roads are not marked down on it. the zoom in and out sucks, you cant zoom out to see the whole thing and you cant zoom in enough.

The inventory controls on the PC are horrid, some of it you can use a mouse to select and others its keyboard only. they have the choices marked on the bottom tab to exit, E to equip or take, R to take all or give but clicking them does nothing. its not hard to make those a button, just lazy not to. clicking an item sometimes equips, sometimes gives or takes then some items you can only use keyboard on, consistency is something that is severly lacking. theres a whole lot more about it that annoys me, suffice it to say i dont like it.

Im not sure if i completly dislike the level up system, I do like the simplicity of it but I think its over simplified. the first things you choose to upgrade magic, health, or stamina would be better off being a stat only that upgrades the more you use it. using a lighter weapon like a dagger or one hand sword, plus magic and stamina/magic upgrades slower but more even. use magic 2 handed and magic upgrades but stamina does nothing. use meelee weapons and no magic and magic does nothing but stamina rises. having it as a choice on where to put a point doesnt make much sense when the more you do an action the more it increases would make more. i like the perk system though. the whole level up system to keep it simple but an improvement I think would be to have the major atributes upgrade automaticly and have 2 choices in the perk system. 1 you choose a perk like it is and the other choose a perk tree to "study" where the skills will level maybe 5 levels the next time you do it.

I think the amount of enchantment choices for armor and weapons was a major step backwards and way too limited. plus the armor setups suck, helmets, armor, gloves, shoes, 1 ring and a necklace. i think they should have stayed with the older more choices system of earlier titles instead of having less to choose from. thats another thing i find annoying...

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I don't hate the game at all. In fact it's a contender for game of the year for me.

What I probably don't like about it is that sometimes the follower A.I. can be really stupid. Also, the guild questlines, at least The College of Winterhold, are a lot shorter than they were in Oblivion.

Other then that though, no problems with the game so far.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
Because it will probably take a year to a year and a half for all the DLC to come out and for Bethesda to make a GOTYEdition. Bunch of jerks.[/kidding]

Otherworld_Odd

Jul 7, 2010
It just bores me. I don't know why. It just does. I get done with one quest and I'm ready to quit.

I'd just rather play Dark Souls I think.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Personally I love it, but I think the reason it attracts haters is because it's not the type of game that really has mass appeal.

For someone who appreciates what Skyrim is trying to be, a huge roleplaying sandbox, things like enemies sometimes acting buggy are easy to forgive. But for someone who would really prefer a more bioware type RPG, with an extremely polished but short linear story, Skyrim seems buggy and boring to them. Bioware games, and most games in today's market, favor quality over quantity, while Bethesda favors quantity over quality.

For me, no game with a 10-20 hour campaign is worth paying full price for. Mass Effect 2 was a great game, but I'm glad I got it on steam for only $20. I've already put twice as much time into Skyrim as ME2, and Skyrim is by far the better game to me, but if Joe "Call of Duty" Schmoe asked me which game he should play, I would say Mass Effect 2. In a way what Bethesda does is make a fairly hardcore game that appeals to a certain niche, and then tricks the masses into buying it. Some of them get hooked and become a part of the niche, others go around posting "I got bored in Oblivion and Fallout so I'm not going to buy Skyrim."

Henkie36 said:
Because of all the hype. That's enough reason for me to hate a game.
Wow, that's so hip.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
lunncal said:
Uh... really? I've seen almost no-one dislike the game at all. I myself preferred Morrowind to Oblivion, but I think Skyrim has surpassed both.
Same here. I was even incredibly skeptical going into this thing, REALLY burnt out on the hype as I went to get it (reluctantly--need to study it for my graduate thesis); then I played it, and instantly it all felt justified. Easily my favorite Elder Scrolls.