Why do you still come to the Escapist forums?

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Slice said:
Pro tip, pissing off the new community manager is probably not a good way to get the site to change for the better. I also do not approve of my comment being used in such an aggressive attack on someone who from my initial impressions, seems like a pretty good bloke.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Drummodino said:
Pro tip, pissing off the new community manager is probably not a good way to get the site to change for the better. I also do not approve of my comment being used in such an aggressive attack on someone who from my initial impressions, seems like a pretty good bloke.
Don't let [user]n0e[/user] fool you. He's an exceptionally good bloke. I've worked with him for over a decade (we worked together at GameFront), and he's good people. He's got a love for the community and he's lots of fun, too.

I'm looking forward to seeing his work as the new CM. I'll just be watching from right over....here.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
ffronw said:
Don't let [user]n0e[/user] fool you. He's an exceptionally good bloke. I've worked with him for over a decade (we worked together at GameFront), and he's good people. He's got a love for the community and he's lots of fun, too.

I'm looking forward to seeing his work as the new CM. I'll just be watching from right over....here.
I haven't been there in years, I think. Are GameFront and FileFront the same site, or did they shut down FileFront entirely and migrate stuff over to GameFront?

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Barbas said:
I haven't been there in years, I think. Are GameFront and FileFront the same site, or did they shut down FileFront entirely and migrate stuff over to GameFront?
Really, they just changed the name from FileFront to GameFront. The network sites were always separate (and kinda outdated), but the site itself didn't change much, besides moving the editorial content to the front page.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
ffronw said:
Really, they just changed the name from FileFront to GameFront. The network sites were always separate (and kinda outdated), but the site itself didn't change much, besides moving the editorial content to the front page.
Oh, that sounds pretty groovy then. Hopefully a lot of folk weren't displaced.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Barbas said:
Oh, that sounds pretty groovy then. Hopefully a lot of folk weren't displaced.
Well, when the name change happened, the site actually grew in staff. Unfortunately, last year they cut staff down to just [user]n0e[/user]. That's when I came over here. Now He's joined us here as well.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
SeanSeanston said:
I come to The Escapist purely to watch Zero Punctuation every Wednesday, then I get sucked into the forums by clickbait topic titles ;p
*thinks*

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Which is kinda sad, considering that there is other stuff here. (Not to mention, the clickbait stuff is getting repetitive - and certainly doesn't show the site or its members in the best light.) :/

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
No idea. Half the time it feels like the only reason I come on this forum still is out of some subconscious form of masochism where I want to get stressed out enough to land me in the damn hospital.

Realistically I guess its because sometimes good things come up and I find out information here that I wouldn't elsewhere (since I don't really look at any other game forums at all). But on the whole there's an awful lot of unpleasantness around and people either trying to antagonise on a specific basis or just generally incite a flaming row. Feels like there's a lot more hate around than when I used to lurk years ago. Personally I find hate just exhausting but a lot of people around here seem to revel in it.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
ffronw said:
Drummodino said:

Awesome! I can't wait to see him in action :)

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Drummodino said:
ffronw said:

Awesome! I can't wait to see him in action :)
Well, to be fair, you don't really "see" the Community Manager in action. Almost all of what they do is behind-the-scenes stuff.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
ffronw said:
Well, when the name change happened, the site actually grew in staff. Unfortunately, last year they cut staff down to just [user]n0e[/user]. That's when I came over here. Now He's joined us here as well.
Wut. They cut the staff down to just one person, and now they have none?

A sound business strategy. I can only wish the site itself the best of luck on the bumpy road to sentient self-sufficiency.

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
Well, I'm still there to ensure things don't break while the lights stay on, but technically, I'm now a part of the Escapist team.

Most of the work I do there now is hang around its community and keep active and handle DMCA tickets that we get. As a file hosting site, GameFront tends to get a few a day.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
n0e said:
Well, I'm still there to ensure things don't break while the lights stay on, but technically, I'm now a part of the Escapist team.

Most of the work I do there now is hang around its community and keep active and handle DMCA tickets that we get. As a file hosting site, GameFront tends to get a few a day.
My memory is fuzzy, was GameFront the site that hosted that really large pre-Nexus Morrowind modding community or was that someone else? PlanetElderscrolls or something similar? There are too many old 2000's game sites fading into obscurity these days, so it's hard to keep track of them >.>

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Mostly only pop in to keep up the good standing badges since they need 1 post or so a month. contentwise i just look at few bits of news, but obviously i don't follow clickbait like winning something...that requires you to like it on 6 different platforms then share it with someone and get them to like it to give you a extra chance. no idea if critical miss is good anymore, kind of dropped out at the climax of that whole "Erin is suicidal, and sees videogame characters" thing.

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
Fappy said:
n0e said:

My memory is fuzzy, was GameFront the site that hosted that really large pre-Nexus Morrowind modding community or was that someone else? PlanetElderscrolls or something similar? There are too many old 2000's game sites fading into obscurity these days, so it's hard to keep track of them >.>
Our sites were more popular in the sci-fi genre than fantasy. Our Star Wars Jedi Knight and Star Trek Bridge Commander sites were the most popular places to be for those games for quite a long time, even when they were technically closed.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
n0e said:
Fappy said:
n0e said:

Our sites were more popular in the sci-fi genre than fantasy. Our Star Wars Jedi Knight and Star Trek Bridge Commander sites were the most popular places to be for those games for quite a long time, even when they were technically closed.
Nonsense, BreedFiles was by far the most active. ;)

I've known n0e many years as well over at GameFront and I can echo everything Ron has said. n0e is good people....

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Drathnoxis said:
What about you remaining Escapists, why are you here? Are you satisfied with the state of the forums? Are you getting something out of your time spent here? Or are you just here out of some attachment to the past or a lack of alternatives?
Honestly I come back here less and less as the Game industry evolves. I have no interest in getting one of the next-gen consoles because I don't care to up my internet bandwidth to be able to download the games to play - I used to buy Consoles so I didn't HAVE to do that. I didn't want to install something, I wanted to put a disc in and hit the Start button. So most of the games that are being discussed and reviewed are games I'm unlikely to play for another 5 years (until I can afford a new computer to put in my living room to play games on the TV). Add to that there aren't many decent video's on this site anymore (while I vehemently disagree with Chipman and Sterling's politics, their videos were awesome to watch), and the inconsistent moderating that infected the forums after GamerGate started, and there really isn't much for me here anymore.

I do come back from time to time and get sucked into a thread or two, but it's not nearly as consuming as it was even a year ago.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I still come here because I enjoy you folks, the ones I agree with and the ones I disagree with intensely. I know I'm probably in the minority for saying this, but I love the R&P stuff. I don't think people talk enough about controversial issues and I often learn new things about important topics. The forums don't need to fly to be good, where each new topic is picked up everyone tosses out a couple of opinions and everyone jumps onto the next new thing.

I like The Escapist for its diversity of thought, for its rules about civility in discussion, for its diversity of created content and because you guys are great to be around, even when we all piss each other off. Most of the articles I find worth reading, most of the content I enjoy watching and most of you here on the forums are worth talking to. I think all of those things make The Escapist a great place to be!

I love you folks, sincerely.

m00se

Sep 26, 2014
The past 6 pages have been a wild ride. Welcome n0e! I like what you have to say and look forward to what you can do here. I've been mostly a lurker, and would like to get more involved here.

The level of civility and thoughtful posts in just this thread is admirable. You are a great bunch of people.