Why does Lando Not pronounce Han as hOn like everyone else?

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Gatx said:
templar1138a said:
Accents have been brought up. Here are a few other examples with real names.

Cassandra: Ca-SAN-dra and Ca-SAHN-dra.
Deloris: DEH-lor-is and DAH-lor-is.
Gregory: GREY-GAR-y and GREH-GOR-y.

As for why Han wouldn't correct him, I think most people accept varying pronunciations of their names based on dialect so long as they're not insulting. When I was in France, people pronounced my name with emphasis on a different syllable and made the hard K at the end sound like it would have been spelled as q-u-e in English. However, I accepted it and even pronounced it that way when introducing myself.
I think its weird that no one on the set bothered to correct him. There are realistic reasons for different pronunciations, but they don't really apply here since for everything else Lando has the same "accent" as Luke and Leia. Having separate pronunciations just makes it confusing for the audience.
On the whole, Lando did have a different accent. It was a subtle difference, but it was there. In general, he spoke as if his mouth was opening slightly horizontally whereas everyone else's opened vertically. For example, he also pronounced Chewbacca "Chew-BÆ-ca" instead of "Chew-bah-ca."

Of course, there's the alternate idea that Lando used to mispronounce Han's name in order to annoy him, especially after Han won the Falcon.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
FinalDream said:
Same reasons why Americans say Laura instead of Lara I guess!
"Americans" don't say Laura;

"Idiots" and "People who can't fucking read that there is no 'U' in Lara" say Laura.
And then there are those of us who were never into the series and just don't give a shit.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
If you're going to ask about the strange things Lando does, why not ask why he's wearing Han's clothing in RotJ? That's far more bizarre than how he might pronounce Han's name.

Sep 14, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
templar1138a said:
Mr.Tea said:
FinalDream said:
Same reasons why Americans say Laura instead of Lara I guess!
"Americans" don't say Laura;

"Idiots" and "People who can't fucking read that there is no 'U' in Lara" say Laura.
And then there are those of us who were never into the series and just don't give a shit.
Wat.

So you're saying you have to be invested in a series to be able to read that there is no "u" in "Lara"?
http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Laura

i think some people pronounce "lara" the second way it is in that link, and just give "lara" the "arrr" sound to the first part, rather than a long "a" sound like it is for lara croft, and it ends up sounding similar to the pronounciation of "laura"

somewhat relevant image:

accents and whatnot play a role sometimes greater than we perceive.