Why doesn't Nintendo make more New IP's

Justanothergamer300

Jul 5, 2009
We really know the answer to that but I want to here personal opinions.
We see them making new IP's for casual players (Wii sports, Wii Music, blah blah blah) but why haven't they gone out and tried to make something new for the hardcore players. (I'll make exception for Pikmin)
Open to each and every person fan-boys and all

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
They make enough money with what they have they got lazy and just don't, whats the point when people will line up for damn near every one of their old IPs

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Maybe they ran out of ideas. Even if they haven't, they're making enough money with the existing ones as is.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Answer: They make money on those old IPs. Much Meatbag money.
Exactly. As long as people keep buying the old IPs, why bother taking the risk with new ones?

xmetatr0nx said:
Thats the reason any company does anything. Also could we drop the "casual" gamer thing already.
I wish. This whole "casual vs. hardcore" thing just makes gamers look stupid.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Justanothergamer300 said:
We really know the answer to that but I want to here personal opinions.
We see them making new IP's for casual players (Wii sports, Wii Music, blah blah blah) but why haven't they gone out and tried to make something new for the hardcore players. (I'll make exception for Pikmin)
Open to each and every person fan-boys and all
... Um.

Because, unlike third-party developers, Nintendo has to also put money into hardware development? Microsoft doesn't have to worry about that, since they make shits of cash and are backed by the Gates fortune, Sony doesn't even make games...

Nintendo HAS to make money off of their franchises to even stay in business. They're not backed by a media giant like Microsoft or Sony. Also, when they release IPs, they often don't SELL well.

How come no one rides Microsoft or Sony's ass for not putting out new IP's? When the other two start putting out games AS WELL as consoles, THEN we can ride Nintendo's ass about new IPs.

Until then, let this argument die.

Cody211282 said:
quack35 said:
They're probably planning a few.
I would have said this back in the 64 era but these days they are just pumping out the same stuff
Pikmin. New IP.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
There is a definite demand for old IPs in the market, but not a definite demand for new ones.
Even if there is a demand for new IPs (judging by how much money Nintendo make from old ones), it doesn't outweigh the demand for new ones.

Plus people will buy Mario/Zelda/Metroid games regardless of how bad they are. With a new IP chances are people are going to be so picky and find so many stupid faults that don't matter.
Special thanks goes out to game critics and Nintendo fanboys who will buy anything Nintendo shovels in their faces

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Answer: They make money on those old IPs. Much Meatbag money.
Remark: This, precisely. Meatbags can still make Mario, Link, and other Meatbag 1st party characters profitable.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Well, basically everyone's answered it. Their old franchises make them a waterfall of money, so why risk losing profit making a new IP that won't do so well?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
As stated above, money. Thats the reason any company does anything. Also could we drop the "casual" gamer thing already.
It's a very easy way to distinguish two parts of the same market, have you got a better suggestion?

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
A new IP is riskier than an old one, especially in this economy.

Also, new games based on the old IPs are still good games. They are generally different from each other to not just be considered rehashes. Sure, Mario and Link are still saving the princess's, but the games are still different. Additionally, the games aren't released that often. A new Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Pokemon game comes out about ever five years, so it's not like their just spitting out games, aside from the Mario spin-offs. Lastly, almost every one of these games has a self-contained story, so you don't have to wait for sequels. When you beat Bowser, you know he's going to come back some day, but the story doesn't end with some cliffhanger.

At the end of the day, you have an IP that people are very passionate about and will put in the work to make a quality game, has the influence to allow deadlines to be pushed back as far as necessary, and comes from one of the most respected development stuios ever. People know what kind of work goes into one of Nintendo's old IPs, and know that they will be getting a good game. Being able to invoke these thoughts through name only is why they continue to publis these old IPs.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
The Rockerfly said:
xmetatr0nx said:
As stated above, money. Thats the reason any company does anything. Also could we drop the "casual" gamer thing already.
It's a very easy way to distinguish two parts of the same market, have you got a better suggestion?
Yea lets just call them video games/games/IPs/ you know the way we used to a year ago.
We used to call "Casual" gamers video games? In all seriousness the Wii has very different games to the 360 and it's an easy way to distinguish the two seperate parts of the same market.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
The Rockerfly said:
We used to call "Casual" gamers video games? In all seriousness the Wii has very different games to the 360 and it's an easy way to distinguish the two seperate parts of the same market.
You know what i mean! Smartass. Yea i guess, i just hate that it adds to this whole casual/hardcore gamer retardedness that has come about lately.
I know what you mean, the term is annoying and an alternative would be nice. I would say childish and adult games but because the Wii is owned by alot of mothers I can't do this. So in short, rawrgh *shakes fists at mothers*