Why don't Developers make the games we want to play?

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Most companies don't want to take the risk of making a game with only niche appeal when they can either copy a popular franchise or crank out sequels to their own franchises that have made them more money than the game the niche market wants to see a return of. Very sad but true.

Joey Bolzenius

Sep 9, 2011
gideonkain said:
I have been so frustrated lately looking at the upcoming release schedule.
So many copy cats, under developed ideas and retreads of tired tropes.

I was wondering why don't Developers make the games their audience is clamoring for?

You would think making the games that people want to play would be a sound business strategy.

A few LONG overdue games:

Kingdom Hearts 3
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Half Life 3
Legacy of Kain / Soul Reaver
Star Wars Battlefront 3
Beyond Good & Evil 2
Money, publishers don't see a guaranteed return from some of those titles. You might, but publishers are finicky and fund projects that are similar to what has already sold.

KRbertsproduck5

May 29, 2010
I know two of these answers! Square Enix doesn't want to remake Final Fantasy 7 until a game surpasses Final Fantasy 7, witch will take a lot of work because they consider it a "Divine Game." They see remaking it as "We will never be this good again, so lets just profit off of when we were." And to be honest I agree with that. And Star Wars Battlefront 3 was finished, but Lucas Arts held off on releasing the game. And well soon Pandemic (sorry if that is the wrong studio) just ran out of money.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Because most of these games are not what the publishers want to make and/or would be less profitable than a shooter right now. One of the main reasons companies make games is to make as much money as possible with their product, so they go with what is popular and safer than going with more interesting ideas. It is why EA is ruining Dead Space 3, in an attempt to get as many people to buy it, they are throwing in co-op, a cover system and other stuff no one wanted to try and get a bigger audience.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's always so cute when people on this site who want non-war-shooters think they're the majority audience.

Allow me to tell you something:

http://brutalgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/call-of-duty-black-ops-23-million.jpg

You are not.

Get used to it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TopazFusion said:
burningdragoon said:
*sigh* silly trolls hijacking obviousness.
Heh, yep.

To anyone reading this, I should point out that we're talking about a certain other troll. We're not calling each other trolls.

[small]So you can take your mouse off the report button, thanks![/small]
Ah, that was pretty glorious. It also hosted one of the most incredible counter-troll exchanges in existence.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
gideonkain said:
I was wondering why don't Developers make the games their audience is clamoring for?
... They do. There's a reason CoD is being made as an annual franchise. Because that's what people want. More people want Black Ops 2 and MW4 then beyond good and evil 2. Just because you want it and a core group of people do does not mean that's the majority.