Why don't you like Matt Smith as the Doctor?

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
A couple of weeks ago I decided to watch some of the David Tennant era and found it really difficult. I'm not sure whether it was how the Doctor was acted, or just the writing, but I found David was a lot less entertaining and interesting then Matt Smith has been.

ScumbagEddie said:
David Tennant was more energetic, I suppose. I haven't seen enough of Smith to care one way or the other. Although, he is pale enough to glow. Isn't it international law that all actors own tanning beds?
No tanning bed can stand up to the greyness of an English summer!!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I guess it depends on peoples interpretation of the Doctor, I've always seen the character as badass yet barking mad and a bit silly.

Now I started watching with Christopher Eccleston, he can do badass superbly but when that grim man tries to do silly it just doesn't work, only gets creepy.

Matt Smith seems to be the counter part to that, he is the king of silly but he can't do badass, he just seems too vanilla pudding to have any sort of dark side.

David Tennant however fits the bill perfectly in my book, hes got a chisel jawed dark looking face and a really quirky personality that let's him cover the full spectrum of mad very naturally.

Jason Fayers

Jul 8, 2011
I think people don't like the amount of change that's happend and he's the centre of it. My biggest problem is with Amy, she just seems like an 'after school special' copy of Dona.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I don't hate him, I just don't think he's quite as good as David Tennant, tho IMO it is mostly because of the writing of the last season becoming all fan-wank spattered.

silver chocobo

Jun 24, 2011
l33tness08 said:
Simply put he's not David Tennant and his companion isn't Billie Piper. Not a good reason, but there it is.
On the note of comapions, Rose isn't the best out there. The Doctor and Donna (Kathern Tate) felt two best friend enjoying themselves, Unlike Martha and Rose who were more like who he carry around like two love lost puppies. Amy is very much like Rose (Even has a Rorry for her Micky and a Riversong for a Captain Jack), But in my opinion she's better then rose, beacuse she feels like more complex charactor than rose did

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Matt Smith is by far my favourite Doctor. He plays the zany 12-year old with 200-year-old wisdom and hidden age-old pains absolutely perfectly. Tennant was close, but didn't quite manage the balance in my mind. He had the brooding down, but never quite managed the simple joy that's suppposed to sustain the Doctor despite his past.

I think most people get really into Tennant simply because he was the first Doctor they really liked. It's hard to beat a first love.

Edit: I also love Amy. It's nice to have a companion who is very clearly not romantically involved with the Doctor, yet still displays some (very reasonable) yearnings early on. Her character has developed a lot more than most companions in my mind. Also, it's nice to see a particularly strong companion that isn't just a woman needing to be rescued by the Doctor in every episode. She seems a lot more like how I imagine a real companion to the Doctor would act.

cystemic

Jan 14, 2009
Matt Smith is quite possibly the most unattractive guy i've ever seen, yes its vain and whatever but the Doctor has to have this look about him that he's different and somehow better than a human being in my mind. Smith just looks like a dork that parts his hair retarded. Maybe it's the major difference between him and Tenant or maybe the writers haven't really done enough to get me to warm up to him but the previous two doctors were amazing and Smith is well, not as amazing. to me...

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
Exactly as you say OP, WE LOVE YOU MATT SMITH! Plus, if you don't like the humor, it's the writers not the actor, who is pretty darn wonderful.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I like matt smith, he's just not quite as good as ecclestone or tennant, but that's a very high standard to meet. Some brilliant moments of comedy and tragedy with this one, though.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Funny this, I was just looking up the dr who seasons to find out where I should start.

Where SHOULD I start, actually? Also, any place I can watch this online, because damned if I'm buying all 10 seasons, or however many there actually are.

Mark Davison

Feb 14, 2010
drummodino said:
creationis apostate said:
The Human Torch said:
I don't get why one show needs to change it's main actor every season. It feels like a very hard series to get into.
it isn't every season. Matt smith is on his third and david tennant was on for about 4 or 5. Get your facts straight before assuming mate.
Tennant had three, Smith is on his second. Oh the irony
Technically Tennant had 4 series. (seasons 2-4 and the specials which are basically a half/short season - 4 "double episodes" as it were)
Matt smith is half with through 2, but has signed for a third. And as he was talking about how often the role changes actors, i think we count the third season...

and OT - I dont see a lot of hate for Smith as the Doctor - occasional degrees of "prefered Tennant" but these tend to be Who-nebies anyway. there was a similar issue back in teh day when the Dr first regnerated, and for generations since actually. Everyone gets into the show, and the current Doctor becomes "their doctor", any subsequent ones are just compared to and found wanting. while New who started with Eccleston, he disappeared so quickly that for a lot of people Tennant was their Doctor. And it doesnt matter what Smith does - for a bunch of people "Hes not Tennant".

Personally I love him, unlike Tennant he never seems to be trying to be odd or alien, and thankfully doesnt pout like a lost puppy (also thought Tennant was excellent, aside from those two traits).

Personally still wish McGann had been given a better shake of the stick. He was fantastic as the Doctor (thought the Fox movie was terrible, as was Roberts...).

idiotsavant

Aug 25, 2009
It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool.

'Nuff said. I like Matt Smith for the doctor at least as much as I liked Tennant. Both are phenominal at the role.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Jaime_Wolf said:
Edit: I also love Amy. It's nice to have a companion who is very clearly not romantically involved with the Doctor, yet still displays some (very reasonable) yearnings early on. Her character has developed a lot more than most companions in my mind. Also, it's nice to see a particularly strong companion that isn't just a woman needing to be rescued by the Doctor in every episode. She seems a lot more like how I imagine a real companion to the Doctor would act.
While I agree with every point, I like Amy mainly because through her we got Rory who is, by far, the best companion since the revival.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It's not Matt Smith I don't like it's Amy Pond and Roy.

The 11th Doctor - even the storyline itself - is fine...

It's Amy Pond & Roy...uck.

Yukichin

Mar 26, 2009
I began with the Ninth Doctor, and I've not seen old!Who yet, though I'll watch it eventually. I like every Doctor I've seen, though, and Eleven's no exception. I love his whimsical attitude, compared to how heavy lots of Tennant's stuff--the finales especially--were.

I also have liked each companion, though Martha's definitely my least-favourite.

Mark Davison

Feb 14, 2010
there are a bunch of sites, but personally i would start with the new series day one (though Rose is terrible.... )

as far as where, google "project free tv".

Averant said:
Funny this, I was just looking up the dr who seasons to find out where I should start.

Where SHOULD I start, actually? Also, any place I can watch this online, because damned if I'm buying all 10 seasons, or however many there actually are.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
I find "funny looking" offensive. My face is a smooshy corss between Tennant and Smith's as it is.

Smith is an amazing Doctor. This last series has really shown that.
These past two series have really matured Doctor Who as a show as well.

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
I'm a big supporter of Matt Smith as the Doctor. It felt like it took the whole fifth season to find himself, but now that season six is out, he seems to have found himself.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
To be honest I was upset that DT left, and stopped watching because of it, but I've nothing against Matt Smith.

Really should start watching again...