Why, for me, gaming peaked in 1999.

heartshooter

Jan 3, 2009
Teachingaddict said:
heartshooter said:
Nageck said:
I'm sorry but as the technology improves games are only going to get better. I'm not saying those games are bad, they are really good, I'm only saying that I expect games to continue improving. 1999 may have been a good year but to say it was the peak of video gaming is nonsense. Saying that every game that comes out now is no good is ignorant generalizing. Also, the first super smash bros. wasn't nearly as good as melee or brawl.
but games aren't all about graphics, are they?
Hate to say this of course they are, no matte rhow good a game, you aint gonna go out and shell 50 big ones for a 360 games that looks like it is from the Commodore 64 days, no matter how much you believe graphics don't make games. New technology doesnt make a game, new technology makes a game look and play better. I agree with 1999 being a good year. But being a person that started in the early 90's witha Commodore 64 I could probably list the same amount of good games for every year up until now.
because im not a dipshit, i respect your opinion. but if you're having a bash at retro games, im afraid to say that i cant be held responsible for my actions. ;-)

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
As long as there are good games, I will be a gamer. Think I'm going to go play the new content for L4D, just barely released, and proof that games are still good. 1999 WAS a very good year, but 2007 gave it a run for its money. So what if money grubbers release piles of terrible, marketable games, if your informed you still get just as many great games as the old days. Especially since with today's tools, its a lot easier to find the gems. And new experiences too. I don't think that games like Half Life 2, Left 4 Dead, Braid, or a dozen other awesome gems could have been made in 99. So sit back, relax, do your gaming homework, and appreciate the ride.

Teachingaddict

Nov 8, 2008
heartshooter said:
Teachingaddict said:
heartshooter said:
Nageck said:
I'm sorry but as the technology improves games are only going to get better. I'm not saying those games are bad, they are really good, I'm only saying that I expect games to continue improving. 1999 may have been a good year but to say it was the peak of video gaming is nonsense. Saying that every game that comes out now is no good is ignorant generalizing. Also, the first super smash bros. wasn't nearly as good as melee or brawl.
Hate to say this of course they are, no matter how good a game, you aint gonna go out and shell 50 big ones for a 360 games that looks like it is from the Commodore 64 days, no matter how much you believe graphics don't make games. New technology doesnt make a game, new technology makes a game look and play better. I agree with 1999 being a good year. But being a person that started in the early 90's witha Commodore 64 I could probably list the same amount of good games for every year up until now.
because im not a dipshit, i respect your opinion. but if you're having a bash at retro games, im afraid to say that i cant be held responsible for my actions. ;-)
Not at all, without turning this into a personal conversation - retro and current is exaclty my point. I love retro games, i miss the C64, the point im making is im not going to go out, buy a top range PC, PS3, 360 or other next generation console, then just buy games that look like they where made 20 years ago. Yes gameplay means something, but so do graphics in equal measures. Retro games are fantastic, but so are current. As i've said every year for me has had great gaming moments, seriously, I think I could name 10 greatly released games for many reasons since the early 90's

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
My money's on 2004 for when gaming peaked. Seems most of the games I play these days are from 2004 or before.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
I've missed called three peaks already (1990,1996, and 2001) so I'll just keeping on saying/hoping that the peak is still far away.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Fredrick2003 said:
Its generally agreed that 1998 or 1999 are the best years in gaming.

I couldn't pick myself... 1998 gave us Starcraft... 1999 gave us Silent Hill... tough call...
2004 gave us GTA San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 3, World of Warcraft, Rome Total War and Katamari Damacy on the same day (9/22), Half-Life 2, Ninja Gaiden, City of Heroes, and the launch of the Nintendo DS. My top five gaming years go (chronologically) 1987, 1994, 1998, 2002, and 2004.

Nageck

Feb 8, 2009
heartshooter said:
Nageck said:
Of course not, but they certainly don't hurt. One of the best things a game can do is immerse the player and better graphics can only help in that aspect. I'm not saying that graphics are what make a game, though. The original super smash bros., for example, was a ridiculously fun game. Its sequels improved on it by not only improving the graphics, but also by adding content and depth to the fighting system. As gaming technology improves I'm hoping that games are able to become larger than they have been before, creating huge, explorable worlds that are also a joy to look at.

phar

Jan 29, 2009
I disagree. Ive never had so many games that I want to play as I do now. We also have a lot of good online games like WoW, L4D TF2 and CoD 4. Im not saying CS is bad but CoD4 and L4D are the number one game on my local servers, good to some other games taking the online FPS crown for a while.

But I do think early 64 days were amazing. Mario 64, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Zelda and Lylat Wars. Nintendos transition to 3D games was insane.

MartinPeiM16

Feb 21, 2009
very good year!!!! you forgot resident evil!!!!!!! when it was actually fun, with story and puzzles, misterys and save rooms. Resident evil 4 and 5 is more like walk into the area and kill everyonem and dont worry about bullets, zombies happen to have lots on them.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
The thing about PC gaming: its Golden Age was around 1999. That's when everyone could play just about any game, and they were mostly amazing and new.
Not to bash on the new games: I'm currently playing several games from 2009 (Currently totally hooked on Demigod)

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Yes, '99 was a good year.
I got my very first video game that year( that belonged to JUST ME anyway. I remember being like 2 playing N64) POKEMON GOLD!!! best pokemon game EVER

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Nageck said:
Blasphemy!

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I tend to prefer 97 or 98, but yeah, the year was great for gaming.

I thought 2007 and 2008 were overrated as far as the games go.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Graphics don't matter as long as they are good enough to avoid inhibiting the gameplay in my opinion. I'll cite racing games as my evidence. Cars get shinier and dented beautifully, and tire skids look nice, but if it all looked the same as good ol' Cruisin the World, the gameplay wouldn't be all that different.

Wyatt

Feb 14, 2008
ive often thought there would be a market for 'retro' games that were brought up to date. just a simple graphics and sound upgrade were possable and thats it. id love to see a game like dungeon keeper II updated to todays standards.

im prety sure that a games company would make a small mint if they would dedicate a team in house to go back and update their 'retro' games. and by update i dont mean change them at ALL other than making them work on todays systems, and simple graphics/sound upgrades. if a game is 2d LEAVE it that way, just make the 2d look better. dont try and change it to 3d. i dont want a remake with new content or a revision in game play at all, just a new skin and make it work on new systems and id be happy as hell.