Why haven't they made many Giant Monster Fight In a City games??

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So, due to the current chatter about Godzilla vs Kong, it reminded me of a game that I played on....the GameCube I think? It was a Nintendo console many moons ago, and it was at a friend's house, so I could be misremembering the equipment. But it was a 3D, arena fighting game, set up sort of like Tekken, or Virtua Fighter, where you have the ability to rotate the fight around. But you know, the fight was Giant Fucking Monsters, and the "arena" was a metropolitan city.

And it was fucking fun as hell! And I say this as someone who is not a fan of the kaiju genre, and not a fan of nintendo systems in general. But, damn if it wasn't fun to play as one of the godzilla franchise, do a charging double kick, and send my opponent sailing away, smashing into some buildings. It had a great feel to it.

So, why haven't they made many of those? Or have they and I just don't know about it?

Because seriously, the premise is just fantastic for a video game. And I would love to play some of them.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Probably because the game mechanics of two huge ass creatures fighting in a detailed city would be difficult to get right. Also the fact that you’d be destroying cities for fun as a gameplay feature, might not sit well with some folks these days.

Having said that, Blast Corps for N64 was a blast, and Rampage: World Tour worked, so who knows?

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Do I get extra escapist good boi points for linking to an escapist article?

A list of godzilla battle games?

And a Matt 'Wha Happun' video?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The physics would probably be a PITA to pull off in an appreciable way. At the scale I'm assuming you're talking about, the level of detail of comparably small-sized buildings would almost not be worth the effort, i.e.: what do "people" look like at that scale? Do you render detailed buildings just to have them smashed to bits as the framerate stutters trying to keep up, or do you just have generic, cubes that break apart if very predictable ways with maybe some explosive properties for the spectacle?

I remember when Crackdown 3 was announced back in 20*mumblessomething*, it was supposed to have a destructible city as a big draw; alas, we didn't get that; I imagine it was a bit much to bite off.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The physics would probably be a PITA to pull off in an appreciable way. At the scale I'm assuming you're talking about, the level of detail of comparably small-sized buildings would almost not be worth the effort, i.e.: what do "people" look like at that scale? Do you render detailed buildings just to have them smashed to bits as the framerate stutters trying to keep up, or do you just have generic, cubes that break apart if very predictable ways with maybe some explosive properties for the spectacle?

I remember when Crackdown 3 was announced back in 20*mumblessomething*, it was supposed to have a destructible city as a big draw; alas, we didn't get that; I imagine it was a bit much to bite off.

This is one of those instances where the movies have enviable technical detail, and anything short of that would be a disappointment. Sure, you could do a cartoony version for a game that’s far less demanding, but in the back of our minds it would feel merely settled upon.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I didn't even know Dave & Busters was still a thing. But that's not the point man.....I just need a good Rampage game. That would be SOOOOO sick!
I never played it, but what I heard was that it was decent iteration. As far as Monster fighting games the only reason one I can think of is the EDF games. Though you're shooting giant bugs mostly in those games. I know in EDF 4.1, you control a giant mechs and you fight Godzilla knock offs, so that's something. I played those sections and they were surprisingly fun. I think there was a licensed Pacific Rim game, but that's going all the way back to 2013. The monster fighting game genre has seem to die out around the late PS2 and early to mid Wii era.

I nearly forgot, there is a crab fighting game. You are a giant crab biting other giant crabs. It came out in 2018, if I remember correctly. It's on Steam.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Play the EDF games. You can destroy as many buildings as you want with no consequences.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I never played it, but what I heard was that it was decent iteration. As far as Monster fighting games the only reason one I can think of is the EDF games. Though you're shooting giant bugs mostly in those games. I know in EDF 4.1, you control a giant mechs and you fight Godzilla knock offs, so that's something. I played those sections and they were surprisingly fun. I think there was a licensed specific rim game, but that's going all the way back to 2013. yeah the monster fighting game John has seem to die out around the late PS2 and early to mid Wii era.

I nearly forgot, there is a crab fighting game. You are a giant crab biting other giant crabs. It came out in 2018, if I remember correctly. It's on Steam.
EDF games are criminally under rated. They are cheesey fun that too many people overlook.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Play the EDF games. You can destroy it as many buildings as you want with no consequences.
I get what you're saying, but the action in EDF games is from the human perspective, where the spectacle of massive buildings crumbling around you [I'd imagine] is a bit easier to script in an appreciable fashion. When you're playing creatures the same size of those buildings, it's essentially watching things your size crumble to pieces around you; not as impressive without some significant and dynamic details to create an appreciation of the scale, and I think that'd be difficult to capture.

Notice how in the "big monster" films, their movement always appears so slow and deliberate? It gives the sense of incredibly massive creatures compared to our size. But a game where you're playing as those creatures, it'd be hard to replicate that feeling of sheer mass unless you could find enjoyment in a game wherein what effectively amounts to a "throwing a jab" is animated over the course of 3-5 seconds. It could actually be a pretty interesting undertaking; when I think of Dark Souls (not saying it's the first, only or best) which kinda took a lot of action RPG fans off guard with its much slower and deliberate combat, maybe there IS some way a studio that could make slow combat on the massive scale enjoyable?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I get what you're saying, but the action in EDF games is from the human perspective, where the spectacle of massive buildings crumbling around you [I'd imagine] is a bit easier to script in an appreciable fashion. When you're playing creatures the same size of those buildings, it's essentially watching things your size crumble to pieces around you; not as impressive without some significant and dynamic details to create an appreciation of the scale, and I think that'd be difficult to capture.

Notice how in the "big monster" films, their movement always appears so slow and deliberate? It gives the sense of incredibly massive creatures compared to our size. But a game where you're playing as those creatures, it'd be hard to replicate that feeling of sheer mass unless you could find enjoyment in a game wherein what effectively amounts to a "throwing a jab" is animated over the course of 3-5 seconds. It could actually be a pretty interesting undertaking; when I think of Dark Souls (not saying it's the first, only or best) which kinda took a lot of action RPG fans off guard with its much slower and deliberate combat, maybe there IS some way a studio that could make slow combat on the massive scale enjoyable?
I think the idea can work but it would have to be mid-budget game that's not too rough on the graphics raw power. Use something with a unique art style. Either that, be a 2d game like king of the monsters. I know Hideki Kamya is possibly working on something where you turn into a giant superhero. So we'll see how that goes.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The simple answer is because they'd have to make something better than War of the Monsters which even now is pretty much one of the best giant monster fighting games out there

Never seen or heard of that, but it does look like fun.

But see what I'm talking about, @BrawlMan? The characters move at "normal" speed and all sense of scale is pretty much lost; you just become normal-sized creatures in what effectively feels like a miniature city. And the buildings, yes, they're "destroying" them, but in no way any more appreciable than we've been experiencing "blowing shit up" in almost every game for the past couple of decades.

The closest I've seen to a game capturing somewhat the sense of scale that makes giant monsters fun to play as was 2014's "Godzilla" on PS4, and that game sucked. While they did replicate the slow, plodding steps which gave you the feeling of immense weight, the cities were largely empty and flat (y'know, for the gameplay arena,) and the buildings just crumbled or exploded. I'd like to see buildings topple over and remain apart of the navigable landscape instead of just imploding like Lego sets under controlled demolition. Don't how to make this work either, but make the camera angle very low; maybe not street-level, but definitely give the sense of looking up at your character.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

I'm not asking for a photo-realistic, 100% to scale rendering of a city like in Spider-man PS 4 or something. I just think that it could be a really fun style to do given today's tech. You could do a lot of fun with the physics, like having the buildings be climbable until they are damaged to a certain degree, so you could have them as "the ropes" to climb up and do dive attacks from. Have some debris act as weapons that could be picked up and used. All kinds of fun stuff.

But I mean we know the physics of it can work, as there are games like Earth Defense Force, that is able to have big scale creatures, and a city size map to run around in. So the basic concept is apparently doable.

Reactions: BrawlMan