Why Homosexuality Should be Banned

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
Baradiel said:
Its a vicious circle. Society will only change if it's forced to. Some people will have to suffer the prejudice if society is going to accept them. Its a terrible thing, but change requires suffering. Otherwise nothing changes.
It might. But it's nothing something I'd be willing to do or endorse. I was pretty badly bullied during my school life and perhaps due to that ended up in hospital after a suicide attempt. Knowing what the child would more than likely go through is just not something I could get behind. No matter how I personally feel on the issue.

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
Snowy Rainbow said:
Baradiel said:
Its a vicious circle. Society will only change if it's forced to. Some people will have to suffer the prejudice if society is going to accept them. Its a terrible thing, but change requires suffering. Otherwise nothing changes.
It might. But it's nothing something I'd be willing to do or endorse. I was pretty badly bullied during my school life and perhaps due to that ended up in hospital after a suicide attempt. Knowing what the child would more than likely go through is just not something I could get behind. No matter how I personally feel on the issue.
It is a sad and vicious circle, change will always require suffering, but those that have to endure the suffering will never want others to have to go through it.I know I certainly wouldn't want to put people through the crap I had to deal with.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Snowy Rainbow said:
DracoSuave said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
I've never liked gender roles. They helped us (humans) evolve and fight our way to the top of the food-chain, but in today's modern society they are completely outdated and need to be exiled from public consciousness.
cause androgyny is so sexy unless, of course, you are not attracted to androgynous people in which case femininity/masculinity aka gender characteristics are hot.

Your fallacy is assuming that we've stopped evolving as a species. This is not true. One cannot intellegently decide gender roles are irrelevant. Only natural selection can. If it still exists, there's generally a reason.
I was stating that I personally dislike them and find them useless in my life. I don't know where Man's evolution will take us so I wouldn't comment on that.
You stated that they're outdated and need to be exiled from public consciousness in the same sentence as stating they have been useful in previous evolution. That's not a statement about personal preference... that's a statement claiming they are irrelevant and need to be abolished due to evolutionary irrelevance.

Unless you meant something completely different, in which case, that's probably what you should have typed instead. I rebutted to what you actually wrote.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Snowy Rainbow said:
Baradiel said:
Oh I'm not endorsing it!!! I wouldn't wish that level of persecution on anybody!

Thats the problem, though. Someone would have to make that choice; 'correct' the abnormality, or leave it, letting the child suffer prejudice for the betterment of the human race and society.

I know I couldn't make that choice.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
AnkaraTheFallen said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
Baradiel said:
It is a sad and vicious circle, change will always require suffering, but those that have to endure the suffering will never want others to have to go through it.I know I certainly wouldn't want to put people through the crap I had to deal with.
The fact that it's a child who cannot make that choice themselves pushes it over the line for me. I just couldn't do it. No matter how much could be gained, knowing what society could do to them... No way. Not me.

Could I ask what it is you went through?

DracoSuave said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
DracoSuave said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
I've never liked gender roles. They helped us (humans) evolve and fight our way to the top of the food-chain, but in today's modern society they are completely outdated and need to be exiled from public consciousness.
cause androgyny is so sexy unless, of course, you are not attracted to androgynous people in which case femininity/masculinity aka gender characteristics are hot.

Your fallacy is assuming that we've stopped evolving as a species. This is not true. One cannot intellegently decide gender roles are irrelevant. Only natural selection can. If it still exists, there's generally a reason.
I was stating that I personally dislike them and find them useless in my life. I don't know where Man's evolution will take us so I wouldn't comment on that.
You stated that they're outdated and need to be exiled from public consciousness in the same sentence as stating they have been useful in previous evolution. That's not a statement about personal preference... that's a statement claiming they are irrelevant and need to be abolished due to evolutionary irrelevance.

Unless you meant something completely different, in which case, that's probably what you should have typed instead. I rebutted to what you actually wrote.
Exactly. In my opinion they are worthless and need to go. I could be objectively wrong, but personally I feel that way.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Snowy Rainbow said:
Broken Boy said:
Well what I said was ( I was married ). But not anymore just throwing that out there...
You don't say... *engage flirting mode*

[sup]I'm such a nerd...[/sup]

Baradiel said:
^ Something might happen here :p
You jealous? :p
[sub]Oh, god yes[/sub] I mean, No! Ofcourse not! :D

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
Angry Camel said:
Raised as a Christian, I believe in love the sinner, hate the sin. Hope that clarifies, I'm kinda used to people seeing me as a bit strange.
Is that supposed to make you seem like less of a jackass?
"hello, I think you're an abomination but at least I don't hate you, yayz."
It's a start I guess but you might want to ditch the backwards christian moral system and work on one of your own, because i sense you're smarter then this.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
Baradiel said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
Baradiel said:
Oh I'm not endorsing it!!! I wouldn't wish that level of persecution on anybody!

Thats the problem, though. Someone would have to make that choice; 'correct' the abnormality, or leave it, letting the child suffer prejudice for the betterment of the human race and society.

I know I couldn't make that choice.
Oh, I see where you're coming from.

I don't think someone needs to be the martyr, though. I hope (maybe foolishly) that people could be talked into seeing some sort of logic and thus would choose not to attack others based on their gender or sexual preference.

God I hope.

Aug 25, 2009
I'm going to be honest, anyone who can't tell the real meaning of that video is an idiot. I acknowledge that text can be misleading, and some people have trouble reading tone, but if you are unable to see the point behind saying 'gay marriage will encourage other people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people makes you tall,' is just stupid.

And if you can't be bothered to watch the video, even if it might be an honest one, then why exactly are you debating on the subject anyway? A debate requires two sides, and if you aren't going to listen to the other side then you aren't debating, you're just shouting loudly.

I did like the video, I thought it was a nice parody of people who actually mean it when they say this. And although it started slow by the end it had me laughing.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
MelasZepheos said:
I'm going to be honest, anyone who can't tell the real meaning of that video is an idiot. I acknowledge that text can be misleading, and some people have trouble reading tone, but if you are unable to see the point behind saying 'gay marriage will encourage other people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people makes you tall,' is just stupid.

And if you can't be bothered to watch the video, even if it might be an honest one, then why exactly are you debating on the subject anyway? A debate requires two sides, and if you aren't going to listen to the other side then you aren't debating, you're just shouting loudly.

I did like the video, I thought it was a nice parody of people who actually mean it when they say this. And although it started slow by the end it had me laughing.
Glad you liked it and got a laugh :)

I got a chuckle out of your post too. Guess we're even.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
"Instant oatmeal is weird... we should ban that too."

And I said, 'oatmeal? Are you crazy?!?'

[sup]I'm amazed I'm the first one to make that joke, as far as I can tell...[/sup]

On topic, I don't really know what else there is to say. Homosexuality is fine, as demonstrated in this rather humorous video. Fight the good fight, and so on.

Snowy Rainbow said:
Baradiel said:
I know I am... ¬_¬

Broken Boy

Apr 10, 2010
Snowy Rainbow said:
Broken Boy said:
Well what I said was ( I was married ). But not anymore just throwing that out there...
You don't say... *engage flirting mode*

[sup]I'm such a nerd...[/sup]
Crushing Initiated!

[sup]* Has a thing for nerds being that shi is one *[/sup]

Snowy Rainbow said:
Baradiel said:
I think so... ; P

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
Snowy Rainbow said:
The fact that it's a child who cannot make that choice themselves pushes it over the line for me. I just couldn't do it. No matter how much could be gained, knowing what society could do to them... No way. Not me.

Could I ask what it is you went through?
I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, my whole family are strong believers, to the point of always commenting on how wrong homosexuality is when they see any signs of it. And I had that drilled into me for my whole life to the point that I actually thought they were right. Then about two years ago, I found out I was gay and fell into a spiral of self hating about it because I still thought they were right. I even went to see a counsiler to 'fix' myself.

Thankfully the person convinced me otherwise, though I still haven't told any of my family or friends since they are all the same as my parents. And I still regularly hear about how being gay is a sin. My GF and her family are the only people who know me that I'm gay in RL.

So... yeah, my life wasn't great, and I would give anything so people don't have to endure what I did.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I can't stand the "homosexuality is unnatural" argument, because there's nothing "unnatural" about it.

Although, this video made me smile - smile because how generally ignorant and idiotic the video is.

I'll ask my friends about it - they all support gay-rights, and it'll probally just excell into a ramdom argument that's fun as hell to watch.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
I saw the title of the thread, and I believe my thought process was something like "Wha...buh...I don't even...oh hell no" and I was going to bash you (intelligently) from here to Kingdom Come...then I watched the video and realized that you're okay.

My parents are pretty anti-homosexuality (my mother will watch shows with gay couples in them and say "Ew" if they so much as kiss). I've told them that it bothers me and I've given them all sorts of logical reasons for why there's no reason homosexuality should be seen as wrong ("Well, I don't think they should be able to marry." "Really, Mom? Why did you get married?" "Because I love your dad." "So you got married for love." "Yes." "SO WHY CAN'T THEY DO THE SAME THING?"), but it's to no avail. There's also the small issue of me being bi, which my parents don't know and will never know unless I end up in a committed relationship with a girl. I'm not ashamed of it or anything; I just don't want to be excommunicated from my family for something I can't help.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Snowy Rainbow said:
]Exactly. In my opinion they are worthless and need to go. I could be objectively wrong, but personally I feel that way.
That's not what you said. You said they are outdated and need to be abolished. That's not a 'personal feeling.' That's a very broad opinion and goes a little beyond personal feeling and instead dewcribes a wish to apply your own modality of gender roles to the greater society.

Which... if I am not mistaken... is as morally wrong as society imposing gender roles upon you.

You stated that gender roles should be removed from the public consciousness, which is the imposition of a sexuality upon everyone. That's a personal bigotry, and does need to be defended with something stronger than a 'well it's just my opinion.' If someone came in here and said 'homosexuality needs to be abolished' and when you rightfully defended yourself against that, they said 'well it's just a personal feeling.'... would you just let that go? Of course not. Because it is bigotry.

Gender roles do not need to be abolished. Gender roles need to be self-actualized. Conscious decisions upon each individual to be celebrated without scorn. If a woman wants to play sally homemaker, she should have every right to celebrate that choice, just the same as if she instead wants to be 'aggressive businesswoman.' She should choose her gender role, and that should be respected.

The world is a more exciting place when people celebrate who they are and not what makes others 'comfortable.' Imposing androgyny on society is boring, and it's horrifying to those of us who believe in masculinity and femininity and celebrate everyone's right to BE masculine or feminine. Or not, as androgyny should also be celebrated by people who want to be that.

That's the only way to have freedom.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Ha ha wow, a ban on instant oatmeal huh? Does oatmeal not deserve the same freedoms as other breakfast time foods? =O