Why I hate valve games. (A rant of sorts)

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
jonathan19 said:
Now before I even say anything regarding valve's products let me say that they are in no way horrible games but games that I personally do not like and that I think give the PC community a bad rep. That being said...

A massive problem I have with PC gaming today is that we get categorized into the steam community and the games that valve spew out with the same engine they've been using since 2004.

Half Life 2
Counter Strike: Source
Left 4 Dead
Portal
Etc

The problem I have with this is for one these games aren't really tickling my gaming spot enough for me to reccomend buying them. If they all use the same engine and have nothing we havent seen before whats the point of forking out the money for them? Also that the PC gaming community is so much more then this we actually had/have some amazing games for the platform not to mention when some games get onto the PC and run dedicated servers for online play. The ultimate joy of PC gaming to begin with. Now how does this relate to valve? For one we get these (lets call them technologically ill) people who say stuff like "I forked out over $2000 for my computer and I can run Half Life on max settings"...Back when that game was released I got some dirt cheap parts and made a $400 computer to run it at maximum settings and I still have it collecting dust in my basement. but anyways my point is basically we shouldn't stand by valve and these sub par games they keep churning out if we look at crysis or even MMO's theres something much more to validate the strength of our community instead of these games that look like they still got stuck in the last generation.

I hope theres at least the small amount of you who understand where I am coming from with this. if not this thread can get lost in cyberspace I could really care less on a monday evening. Thank you.
Man, you are just the kind of gamer I despise. Picking graphics over gameplay....

Darzen

Aug 27, 2009
scnj said:
Darzen said:
can we get this locked
Why? It's only a thread detailing somebody's opinion. There's an opportunity for some interesting discussion here.
yes but a thread like this is bound to end in a flamewar

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
jonathan19 said:
Skorpyo said:
Perhaps you haven't noticed that valve has released the graphics updates from HL2:E2 to ALL of the source games?

Your argument is invalidated by this sir, though I say so respectfully.
Still looks ugly. like they say you can put a tux on a pig and it is still a pig
Here the saying is "you can paint shit silver but it's still shit". Or it would be if I had my way.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Darzen said:
scnj said:
Darzen said:
can we get this locked
Why? It's only a thread detailing somebody's opinion. There's an opportunity for some interesting discussion here.
Not necessarily. The majority of us here are mature people who are capable of an intellectual debate without resorting to petty insults.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
Oh noes, the graphics are slightly sub-par!!!!!!!!!

How could we all have not seen this. What are we doing playing Valve games?

We've all been so stupid! Of course, the graphics are the most important part of a game, if they're even slightly dated there's just no point in playing it.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I never thought of this before!!!!

Crapster

Aug 6, 2009
I actually have the opposite problem. Valve games have too good of graphics (minus Portal and HL2, I can play those) which my piece of crap PC can't handle.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I find that crappy graphics can make some games unplayable for me but the Source Engine isn't the worst of it.

Darzen

Aug 27, 2009
scnj said:
Darzen said:
scnj said:
Darzen said:
can we get this locked
Not necessarily. The majority of us here are mature people who are capable of an intellectual debate without resorting to petty insults.
good point.so whats this guy's opinion about the game "Pong"?

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
jonathan19 said:
Skorpyo said:
Perhaps you haven't noticed that valve has released the graphics updates from HL2:E2 to ALL of the source games?

Still looks ugly. like they say you can put a tux on a pig and it is still a pig
That argument fits Crysis far better than it does Valve Games. The Tux is the graphics engine and the pig is the level and gameplay design. Valve is more along the lines of putting a Tee shirt on Scarlet Johansen. Sometimes what the package is wearing isn't nearly as important as whats underneath.

zagazsano

Mar 19, 2009
My goodness...rant somewhere else?
If you hate a video game or a developer, take anger out on your pillow please, and if it makes you feel better, stick a picture of Gordon Freeman on there.
OT: Yes I agree the graphics are not top notch and the use of the same engine...not irritating as you see it, but does get repetitive. Of course, that does make their games classical, does it not?
I never focus my overall opinion on graphics. I'm not going to lie, graphics do play a role in a game. If a game doesn't look good, then my opinion usually establishes it as being a bad game. Most of the time it isn't the case. Games can be as cartoony as Castle Crashers or Team Fortress 2, yet have that classic feel that doesn't make a game repetitive.
(Probably most of this didn't make sense, or had no objective whatsoever, but I'm just speaking my mind)

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
I can't on earth figure out what your point is...you hate Valve games because you built a computer for 400 dollars to play it and it was able to? I'm sorry but your writing isn't very coherent.

The only substantive complaint I can make out is that they're still using the source engine. Well...it's a functional engine, and the games offer other stuff. Great writing, excellent game play, good level design, good humor, good stories.

I think it's a decent philosophy. Game design requires resources, resources are limited. Developing a new engine is one of the most intensive uses of resources. Reusing and slightly polishing an old engine means you have resources to spare for all the other parts of the game.

Besides, it's good for me since I have a computer, not a state-of-the-art gaming computer. I like the idea of games which I can run comfortably on it instead of high end games that will chug like mad. Especially when every other aspect of the Source game is better than the CryEngine game.

Why do I get this sense you're just attacking Valve because everyone thinks they make great games and you have dreams of mounting a prized trophy on your wall?

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
jonathan19 said:
Skorpyo said:

You can't have it both ways old boy, you can't claim you care about more then graphics and then keep using them as your only argument. With that in mind I shall now assume you really do mean only graphics and merely wished to add an air of sophistication by claiming otherwise, and will as a consequence argue against such a stance.

First, there is nothing wrong with caring primarily about graphics. Sure I think it's absurd, but who am I to decide what others should or should not enjoy? What I do take offense at is your attempt at forcing everything into the mold you like. Valve games are about immersion, solid gameplay, and strong storytelling, they are not about looking pretty. Just as you care more about graphics, I and many like myself care more about those factors and Valve does them well.

Your rant is thus an attempt at impugning everyone who doesn't care about graphics, calling them computer illiterate and not understanding the point of PC gaming. I could make the very same argument that you don't understand the point of it all but I don't, because I can respect differing views from my own. I suggest you learn to do likewise for your own betterment.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I do agree that graphics are important but I fear that gameplay and story are the most important parts of a game to me. I too am waiting for the flames to begin, however I love the pyro in TF2 and I am fighting the urge to make flaming pirouettes.

OP: What games/game companies do you like just for reference.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
WAAAAAAH They don't have awesome graphics.

Except they have the best facial animation software ever pre-Image Metrics, and an easily accessible engine that can make fantastic games.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Hmm. I don't really get your point. I really don't. Guessing from other people's understanding you apparantly don't like the graphics engine. Which is a pretty weak thing to comment on personally I kinda like low to mid power games cause heavy graphics put a strain on the computer and personally I don't want to disband playing a game because it demands to have the latest CPU and graphics card.

That said I myself have never understood the love for these games. I guess there very good and well made and pretty much jumpstart all expectations but all the praise from people or viewing and sometimes sampling the gameplay never made me interested in playing them or even visit the steam website. I'm not going to make up some sort of weak excuse as to why I don't like them because it won't sound like a good excuse because well, it's an excuse and all; but I never got what it was that makes people like it ya know no big deal.

I'm kinda getting annoyed by those guys by the fact that they haven't gotten half life 2 episode 3 out yet. They make all these full games(ish) and haven't worked on a game that was supposed to be like a monthly release. Hey there's a real complaint about valve. There focus is off.