Why I hate valve games. (A rant of sorts)

May 23, 2010
scnj said:
Wombaat said:
scnj said:
Flamma Man said:
scnj said:
Um. Okay. Someone screwed up the quote pyramid. Basically, I think that Valve games are overrated because they don't play very well. I went into some detail in another thread a couple of days ago, but an example of what I mean is in the vehicle sections. Half-Life 2 came out in 2004, but the vehicle sections had already been done better in Halo in 2001. Valve's vehicles control horribly, due to the tank controls they force on the player because they're unwilling to use the much more durable third person vehicle perspective.
Really? I thought the exact opposite.

The vehicles in Half-Life handle very well, I don't see what you're talking about with "tank controls." As for Halo, the vehicles slide waaaay too much for my tastes.
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, and I don't want you telling everyone but I'm a console gamer. I don't like a keyboard and mouse setup, and I can't afford a good computer. When I say tank controls, I mean that the vehicle does it's acceleration and turning using the one analog stick, which is a pain in the ass to use, especially when I have to navigate ramps and narrow passages. I get that Valve is primarily a PC developer, but that doesn't excuse sloppy control systems on their console ports.
All ports have shitty controls. It's like one of the fundamental laws of the universe or something. Deal with it.
But why should I have to deal with it? If a game is released on multiple platforms, I should be able to play on the platform of my choice, content in the knowledge that the developer has put maximum effort into optimising the game for that platform.
My point was that all developers do this, not only Valve. Yell at Capcom, yell at Rockstar. Yell at everyone - it'd be funny to watch. Yes, this is a travesty that should be fixed, but first lets stop developing RTS for both PC and console, resulting in zero console sales and a shitty watered down RTS for PC.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Wombaat said:
scnj said:
Wombaat said:
scnj said:
Flamma Man said:
scnj said:
Um. Okay. Someone screwed up the quote pyramid. Basically, I think that Valve games are overrated because they don't play very well. I went into some detail in another thread a couple of days ago, but an example of what I mean is in the vehicle sections. Half-Life 2 came out in 2004, but the vehicle sections had already been done better in Halo in 2001. Valve's vehicles control horribly, due to the tank controls they force on the player because they're unwilling to use the much more durable third person vehicle perspective.
Really? I thought the exact opposite.

The vehicles in Half-Life handle very well, I don't see what you're talking about with "tank controls." As for Halo, the vehicles slide waaaay too much for my tastes.
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, and I don't want you telling everyone but I'm a console gamer. I don't like a keyboard and mouse setup, and I can't afford a good computer. When I say tank controls, I mean that the vehicle does it's acceleration and turning using the one analog stick, which is a pain in the ass to use, especially when I have to navigate ramps and narrow passages. I get that Valve is primarily a PC developer, but that doesn't excuse sloppy control systems on their console ports.
All ports have shitty controls. It's like one of the fundamental laws of the universe or something. Deal with it.
But why should I have to deal with it? If a game is released on multiple platforms, I should be able to play on the platform of my choice, content in the knowledge that the developer has put maximum effort into optimising the game for that platform.
My point was that all developers do this, not only Valve. Yell at Capcom, yell at Rockstar. Yell at everyone - it'd be funny to watch. Yes, this is a travesty that should be fixed, but first lets stop developing RTS for both PC and console, resulting in zero console sales and a shitty watered down RTS for PC.
Oh, I know it's not specific to Valve. I just used Valve examples because this is a Valve thread, and while I'm not on the side of the OP's weak argument, I'm not particularly on the side of everyone else either. It's an interesting, yet lonely position.

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
Valve has these games so that those without souped up godly computers can still game too. I mean Crysis 2 looks like a neat game, but I won't be getting it because i can't afford to spend the money to soup up my computer. For the price of gaming computers out there, you can buy a car. a used car, but a car none the less.

And It still is hard to build a computer when the individual parts aren't cheap either. for the price difference you only save $500-$1000 Which still makes the game essentially cost $1060.

This is why i quit PC gaming.

May 23, 2010
[quote scnj]Oh, I know it's not specific to Valve. I just used Valve examples because this is a Valve thread, and while I'm not on the side of the OP's weak argument, I'm not particularly on the side of everyone else either. It's an interesting, yet lonely position.[/quote]
Ah, then let us be friends and drink tea.

G-X

Nov 5, 2008
I don't understand why people think Valve games have bad graphics. I mean, shit, even the original Half-Life 2 looks better than Fallout 3.

May 23, 2010
G-X said:
I don't understand why people think Valve games have bad graphics. I mean, shit, even the original Half-Life 2 looks better than Fallout 3.
Animations and textures from morrowind minus all the magic and charm of the alien environment (despite being set in a nuclear wasteland) YAAAAAY!
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree.

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
I think we scared em off people, what's say we wait for further response instead of shadowboxing?

MasterWhatever

Mar 6, 2009
This seems to me like nothing more then a rant(or bitching) about the Source Engine. If so, graphics are one of the last things that make a game good in this gen. The source engine works, so why fix it?

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
Wombaat said:
Kanodin0 said:
I think we scared em off people, what's say we wait for further response instead of shadowboxing?
Or set up an entirely different topic.
Why is your avatar John Cussack?
It's Nick from L4d2 actually, I just like him the best out of all the survivors personality-wise.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
And this is why Nintendo games bother me, they make a good game but never have options for simple things, like controls. So you're always stuck with what they force on you. A simple bit of code and you'd be able to customize your game more to your liking. Instead of using a shake or a flail to control a PLATFORMER.

Don't say it's being picky, because all that's being asked is they do what every other company on the planet does, they let the user decide on a control scheme.

But alas they don't, not a big deal but still annoying. :|

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
jonathan19 said:
Now before I even say anything regarding valve's products let me say that they are in no way horrible games but games that I personally do not like and that I think give the PC community a bad rep. That being said...

A massive problem I have with PC gaming today is that we get categorized into the steam community and the games that valve spew out with the same engine they've been using since 2004.

Half Life 2
Counter Strike: Source
Left 4 Dead
Portal
Etc

The problem I have with this is for one these games aren't really tickling my gaming spot enough for me to reccomend buying them. If they all use the same engine and have nothing we havent seen before whats the point of forking out the money for them? Also that the PC gaming community is so much more then this we actually had/have some amazing games for the platform not to mention when some games get onto the PC and run dedicated servers for online play. The ultimate joy of PC gaming to begin with. Now how does this relate to valve? For one we get these (lets call them technologically ill) people who say stuff like "I forked out over $2000 for my computer and I can run Half Life on max settings"...Back when that game was released I got some dirt cheap parts and made a $400 computer to run it at maximum settings and I still have it collecting dust in my basement. but anyways my point is basically we shouldn't stand by valve and these sub par games they keep churning out if we look at crysis or even MMO's theres something much more to validate the strength of our community instead of these games that look like they still got stuck in the last generation.

I hope theres at least the small amount of you who understand where I am coming from with this. if not this thread can get lost in cyberspace I could really care less on a monday evening. Thank you.

May 23, 2010
Kanodin0 said:
Wombaat said:
Kanodin0 said:
Or set up an entirely different topic.
Why is your avatar John Cussack?
It's Nick from L4d2 actually, I just like him the best out of all the survivors personality-wise.
Ah, which brings me to my point - doesn't Nick look like John Cussack? Especially in the loading screen for Parish?

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Snotnarok said:
And this is why Nintendo games bother me, they make a good game but never have options for simple things, like controls. So you're always stuck with what they force on you. A simple bit of code and you'd be able to customize your game more to your liking. Instead of using a shake or a flail to control a PLATFORMER.

Don't say it's being picky, because all that's being asked is they do what every other company on the planet does, they let the user decide on a control scheme.

Can't you just use the Wii classic controller instead of the Wiimote? I don't have a Wii myself, so excuse my ignorance if I'm completely wrong here.

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
HERESY!

OT: If the graphics spoil it for you, fine. Valve isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
scnj said:
Snotnarok said:

Can't you just use the Wii classic controller instead of the Wiimote? I don't have a Wii myself, so excuse my ignorance if I'm completely wrong here.
As far as I know, the only main modern titles on the Wii that allow the classic controller are Smash Brothers and Monster Hunter. All others have at least some motion controller and thus the wiimote is required (just try not to pronounce that wiiquired I dare ya).

Oh and I suppose he does look a fair bit like Cusack.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
So let me get this straight, the poster does like Valve games because they actually reuse they code to produce more than one game?
Really?
I can understand not liking Valve games because you dont like FPS's.
But isn't reusing the engine to produce more games a good thing?

Arenari

Servant of Marvin the Martian
Nov 20, 2009
Ok, I think if you really want to rant against Valve, all I ask is that you give more than one thing you don't like about it. Otherwise, as proved by everyone else above me, they will rip your argument to shreds. I'm kind of seeing that leaves your argument extremely weak, and you looking like and idiot to everyone involved for not having a complex enough argument.

CoachZ

Nov 18, 2009
Wow......just wow.
First off, Half-Life 2 was groundbreaking for many reasons. It was very good-looking when it came out, but it was the immersion, the animation, and the attention to detail that very few games have matched. The relationship between body muscles and motion have never been more thoroughly explored, and the facial animations and lipsyncing are STILL top-notch.
Second, stop getting pissy because people respond to the ONLY argument you gave them. Perhaps if you had fleshed out your argument, you may have gotten some better responses. As it was, the only argument you gave involved graphics, so expect a likewise retaliation.