Why I hate valve games. (A rant of sorts)

stiborge

Sep 23, 2009
jonathan19 said:
Darzen said:
i smell a shit storm...also good job most of us hate you now
Oh deary me a bunch of people on the internet hate me.

scnj said:
I sort of agree, but not for the reasons you gave. I find Valve games to be solid, but overrated.
A response I was hoping for.
I looked through the entire thread (I didn't read it all but I looked through it for your comments) to see if you gave any response to any of the allegations that you were only talking about graphics. You didn't. The only response you gave was saying "games don't need good graphics to be good." Yet you still made no effort to point out any flaws in Valve games besides graphics.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Yeah, Portal especially felt like a HL2 mod to me, but it was still an amazing game. I could care less if all their games look similar, they are still fun. And I could care less about graphics as long as they don't hurt the eyes...

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
I'm not the hugest fan of Valve. I find most of their stuff dull, graphics aren't the issue. I just can't lose the feeling I've played the damn games four hundred times made by other developers with no originality either. For me one FPS bleeds into another until it's all one big brown melange of mediocrity. I like Portal though, that was fresh and fun and L4D has zombies, flaming molotovs and bullets, it's great for a tool around making mayhem.

Your argument smells distinctly of troll, but despite that I'm still going to say it was shallow and ill thought out. Rag on Valve for any reason you like, but to focus solely on it's graphics limitations isn't a good way to do so.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
scnj said:
Snotnarok said:
And this is why Nintendo games bother me, they make a good game but never have options for simple things, like controls. So you're always stuck with what they force on you. A simple bit of code and you'd be able to customize your game more to your liking. Instead of using a shake or a flail to control a PLATFORMER.

Don't say it's being picky, because all that's being asked is they do what every other company on the planet does, they let the user decide on a control scheme.

But alas they don't, not a big deal but still annoying. :|
Can't you just use the Wii classic controller instead of the Wiimote? I don't have a Wii myself, so excuse my ignorance if I'm completely wrong here.
Very few games let you. Which is what annoys me, but bah oh well.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Snotnarok said:
scnj said:
Snotnarok said:
And this is why Nintendo games bother me, they make a good game but never have options for simple things, like controls. So you're always stuck with what they force on you. A simple bit of code and you'd be able to customize your game more to your liking. Instead of using a shake or a flail to control a PLATFORMER.

Don't say it's being picky, because all that's being asked is they do what every other company on the planet does, they let the user decide on a control scheme.

But alas they don't, not a big deal but still annoying. :|
Can't you just use the Wii classic controller instead of the Wiimote? I don't have a Wii myself, so excuse my ignorance if I'm completely wrong here.
Very few games let you. Which is what annoys me, but bah oh well.
Seems like a waste to actually manufacture it then.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Oh boy, this isn't going well...

I kind of agree with the OT, at least with the newer games. Sure, I don't care about shitty graphics but Left 4 Dead should look a LOT nicer than it does. But the reason I don't care much for valve games is just the feel of the games. I'm sure that they're great games, I just don't like them.

Well, actually, the Left 4 Dead games suck. They don't have any new gameplay, graphics, or physics, and the story is basically "Here's the zombies, here's your guns, go blow shit up." It's great if you compare it to other mods like Killing Floor, but not compared to "actual" games that you have to spend $60 for.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
.....could you rephrase that? Seriously, I don't even know what point you're trying to get across. You seemed to talk a little bit about graphics but I didn't find that too strong of an argument....

Also, you asked:

"If they all use the same engine and have nothing we havent seen before whats the point of forking out the money for them?"

Nothing we haven't seen before...?

Counter-Strike: Source- CS:S focuses a lot on user created content, allowing for numerous creative maps and game types. The malleability of the game is something to be admired and is probably the main reason it's still popular today.
[small][sub]An interesting side note, the game is seven years old and right now there are 16,597 people playing. Its peak was 78,045. Today's peak for Modern Warfare 2 was 77,219. It rivals MW2. [/sub][/small]

Team Fortress 2- TF2 is pretty much the king of class-based shooters. Each class is carefully tweaked by Valve so players can have a fair gaming experience. A heavy and medic duo are gunning down Blu team? A well placed sniper shot should even things out a bit. What's that? The sniper is destroying the whole team? Get a Spy in there; he won't know what hit em'.

Left 4 Dead Series- With a group of friends this game, quite simply, is a hilarious blast. It doesn't get much funner mowing down hordes of infected with three of your close pals.

Portal- Admittedly, I haven't played Portal very far in. But, judging by the comments here at The Escapist, it's sort of a big deal.

I respect your opinion, but I just don't see how this is nothing we've seen before.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Contun said:
Marik2 said:
jonathan19 said:
If I'm not mistaken, a fellow member here was put on probation for posting just that. I'm sure it wasn't the picture itself, but the low-content post. You may want to edit that.
But it sums up my thoughts really nice. But thanks for the warning.

G-X

Nov 5, 2008
Reverend Del said:
I'm not the hugest fan of Valve. I find most of their stuff dull, graphics aren't the issue. I just can't lose the feeling I've played the damn games four hundred times made by other developers with no originality either. For me one FPS bleeds into another until it's all one big brown melange of mediocrity.
I really don't mean to sound like an arrogant fanboy here, but if you can't appreciate how good Half-Life 2 is, then it's not for you.

I really did sound like an arrogant fanboy. Well, what I meant was this: There's an FPS based on dismemberment physics. There's an FPS based on free-running. There's an FPS based on terrain destruction. Half-Life 2 isn't like this; it has nothing that sets it apart, other than being really really good. And if innovation is more important to you, the Half-Life series is not for you.

mendokusai

Jun 17, 2009
So you're saying that you hate Valve games because some people automatically associate the PC gaming community with Steam?

Wow, that makes perfect sense. And heaven forbid that other people enjoy Valve games just because you don't have Crysis graphics.

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
So... their games aren't good because they don't have Crysis-like graphics?

Good to know you're the type of gamer who will buy something for it's "awesome graphics" shunning other innovative games in the process. Go you.

TheMightyImp

Mar 15, 2010
Graphics don't determine how good a game is. On that basis, you could say that any game before 2004 is garbage, when clearly plot, characters, immersion and gameplay are more important. For some graphics helps but it's unfair to hate one of the most accomplished game developers, for having outdated graphics.

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
G-X said:
I really don't mean to sound like an arrogant fanboy here, but if you can't appreciate how good Half-Life 2 is, then it's not for you.

I really did sound like an arrogant fanboy. Well, what I meant was this: There's an FPS based on dismemberment physics. There's an FPS based on free-running. There's an FPS based on terrain destruction. Half-Life 2 isn't like this; it has nothing that sets it apart, other than being really really good. And if innovation is more important to you, the Half-Life series is not for you.
You're quite right, HL2 isn't for me, which is why I didn't shell out money for it. I borrowed a copy, played it, went meh and gave it back. I see that it is a good game for them as liek that sort of thing. It;s solid, decent graphics, and the storyline was fairly good. It's a solid title...in a genre of gaming I have very little time for and frankly my limited FPS time is reserved for games I consider better. Like Portal. Which is also a Valve game. So yeah, I have nothing against Valve, they make good FPS games. I just have something against FPS games.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I'm sorry but they are good games, imo.

The only thing I find a bit whacky is they seem to be reusing the exact same sound effects every game.(Half Life to Portal).
I actually like that they don't change the control scheme. I absolutely love that. I also like that the way they have the character sit around dead for a few moments before you push w to reload.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I don't like the source engine because it's hard on my processor when it should be sucking juice from my graphics card-which is the whole reason I bought a freaking graphics card!