Why I hate valve games. (A rant of sorts)

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
mrpenguinismyhomeboy said:
scnj said:
[SNIP]

But why should I have to deal with it? If a game is released on multiple platforms, I should be able to play on the platform of my choice, content in the knowledge that the developer has put maximum effort into optimising the game for that platform.
Ok, you have valve there. They aren't very good at porting games, and I agree with you in that developers shouldn't bother releasing ports if they don't work as good as the original. The reason your getting so much opposition is cause everyone else here has played the PC version, and for us PC gamers, the controls worked out quite nicely. That said, most serious PC gamers do a fair bit of tinkering with the settings before actually playing the game (I don't cause I don't notice any real difference) and that allows the user to further optimize it to their own tastes, meaning the developers have to do even less work with getting the right default settings. I don't know how much freedom they give you to reassign controls on consoles, but I imagine it can't be nearly as much as there are on PC games. That's probably one of the reasons the games would frustrate you, and I can understand that.

I'm sorry if I sound a little condescending, I don't mean to.
Nah, it's okay. On consoles the most we tend to get is three or four pre-set layouts. Why they can't just let us assign buttons like in PC games I don't know.

mil3nium

Mar 20, 2010
Think they don't like the source engine and valve because they don't change the name on the engine all the time. They do work on it, fix the bugs and upgrades the graphic. But they don't boast about it like crysis do. "Crysis creator: Yeah the new game runs on cry engine 2, it looks beautiful". Do we know how much difference there are between them? And they created the crysis engine to see how much a PC could handle.. Not for the gamers. Its was supposed to used for benchmarks. Like they do. And probably bad programed. Like most game these days are.

Played allot of FPS games and still think the Source engine is one of the best. You can have a decent PC and still have 60+ fps in the worsts parts of the game. Its the most polished engine out there I would say.
Try play Lost Coast. There they show you the source engine and what they can do with it.

Have played games released after HL2 with much worse graphics and still lower FPS that i play with in HL2.
And only a few have decent gameplay. How many of you have stopped played a 3rd person game because of the dodgy camera? I have.

I agree that graphic has a small role in a game, but valve know hot to make a engine look nice even if you run a computer from 2000.

This was just on my mind and please don't flame me :D I'm a valve fan and still plays Counter strike 1.6. Its the best shooter out there. Best gameplay and recoil. =) Raven also creates good fps games =) Singularity. =) not that good graphic bot good gameplay. Must try if you like fps game ;) I'll end this now =)