Why I say "Not all cops": Systematic Racism by towards Minority Officers.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I'm not even going to dignify the complete and total ignorance of that metric fuck-ton of stupidity and insensitivity with a response. We're done here.
If someone (not you, because you said you're done) could explain how my post was stupid and insensitive, I'd appreciate it.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Look. I don't drink. So I don't know how much of an excuse that actually can be.
I have never screamed the N-word or threatened to kill people while blacked out. Generally the issue one would more typically have while drunk is falling asleep or throwing up at inopportune times, maybe behaving “unprofessionally.” If you got drunk and threatened someone with racist violence, it’s because you wanted to do racist violence.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It's possibly for that reason that nobody acknowledging the existence of systemic racism pretends it's that.
To further: It's also possible that most systematic racism is unintentional. Society gave police powers beyond a normal citizens and structures to keep them in line. These structures aren't strong enough to counter racism in some departments. They abuse the laws to their own benefit. And Society hasn't caught up and plugged the holes. Systemic Racism generally isnt whites conspiring together. Its racist abusing the system

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Hey, mine too! In Texas now, but O-H...! (I will await your obligatory response.)

You... can't be serious.

Need I remind you that the Civil Rights movement was a mere 60 years ago? That people who immediately "benefited" from (as well as those perturbed by) it are still alive today? That that was a time when being black was so criminal, police organized with weapons, dogs, fire hoses and the rule of LAW to rail against it? And you think at some point in such recent time the switch of racism was flipped to the "off" position, and any systemic prejudice just went away? That in no way, the institution of law enforcement has felt hobbled and their authority encroached upon and has since found ways to exercise that old authority disguised within the guidelines of the now? That the literal institutions of "white power" willing ceded their seat once we as a nation agreed on equality?

Save you accusations of "conspiracy" to flat earth and fake moon landings; trivializing the real life experiences of millions of people is exactly the face of the problem you so readily dismiss.
Fine. -H-I

Seriously I remember someone literally dying because of protesting for George Floyd who was a student from OSU/ The Ohio State University, which is the college I go to.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I have never screamed the N-word or threatened to kill people while blacked out. Generally the issue one would more typically have while drunk is falling asleep or throwing up at inopportune times, maybe behaving “unprofessionally.” If you got drunk and threatened someone with racist violence, it’s because you wanted to do racist violence.
Part of the art and fun of drinking is that it loosens inhibition; the shy might dance or sing karaoke; one might muster up the nerve to talk to that hot girl/guy over there, etc. Drinking can help one be who one wants to be, and drinking to excess can make things go too far. If someone gets drunk and "becomes racist," guess what? They were already racist; the booze just unleashed the truth. Blaming booze for your actions is the same as blaming the gun you used to shoot someone that, when sober, you'd only think about beating up.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Fine. -H-I
... Unacceptable.

Seriously I remember someone literally dying because of protesting for George Floyd who was a student from OSU/ The Ohio State University, which is the college I go to.
I went to OSU too! Well, for 2.5 years anyway, then they wouldn't let me take anymore art classes until I took more prereqs, and I refused to pay for classes that I was completely uninterested in. Dropped out, got a job, now I'm a disaffected corporate shill. Just saying: stay in school.

(I did bang a hot goth chick in Hayes Hall and witnessed a burning couch on my would-be roommates' lawn after a Michigan vs. OSU game, though, so I've got SOME college tales...)

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I have never screamed the N-word or threatened to kill people while blacked out.
Would you know if you did? That is, after all the nature of being blacked out drunk.

If so, do you keep a recording of the events whenever you plan on getting that drunk so you can verify that, or do you have minders to ensure you don't misbehave?

I did bang a hot goth chick in Hayes Hall
Ah, but did either or both of you have any number of drinks?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Would you know if you did? That is, after all the nature of being blacked out drunk.

If so, do you keep a recording of the events whenever you plan on getting that drunk so you can verify that, or do you have minders to ensure you don't misbehave?
In my personal experience, "out of character" activity whilst black out drunk is normally the first thing you hear about when you wake up, i.e.: "Oh my god, you spent 5 minutes screaming at the Taco Bell drive-thru speaker because they didn't have Chicken McNuggets." I'd imagine if someone not known for racist tendencies went on a racial tirade during a black out, any witnesses would be pretty quick to let them know (if the bruises from getting their ass whooped didn't jog the memory...)

Ah, but did either or both of you have any number of drinks?
Nope, t'was spontaneous, consensual, freaky and sober sex followed by drinks. It did almost turn into a threesome after the drinks (goth girl's idea, not mine; I'd never have the moxie to suggest something like that,) but her roommate out-paced us on the booze side and was sloppy drunk by the time they headed to their dorm room. Even slightly inebriated, I knew better than to even THINK about touching that situation; drunk black man and two drunk white women checks too many boxes for a headline.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I'm the opposite. I'm surprised it comes to light at all most of the times. People try their damnedest to excuse and/or bury when police officers commit malfeasance.

There are people here crying Conspiracy theory... When the officer in question admitted that he did it, and excused it on being 'angry and drunk'.

Look. I don't drink. So I don't know how much of an excuse that actually can be. But I've been angry before. At many different people. And I never looked at a woman while I was angry and went "BY THE WAY, THIS CURRENT RAGE HAS COMPELLED ME TO TELL YOU THAT YOU'RE LESSER THAN ME BECAUSE OF HOW YOUR BODY IS COMPRISED JUXTAPOSED MY OWN!!!!".

I never went to anyone's race, creed, gender, sexuality, religion or lack their of when I was angry at them. So it's beyond me when people state they only did it because they were mad.

Any growth is growth. It's welcomed and appreciated.
Yeah, it does fit rather neatly into their usual tendancies of "pride before protection" image and information management. Sort of like how all those sexual harassment (and worse) reports in various corporations become mysteriously ghosted after reaching the HR department, but with far more concerning levels of authority involved. I'd hoped there would be more holes in their net for these issues to have escaped sooner by now, but having read experiences lately from cops who do try to follow regulations, protocol and report bad behavior from colleagues, they're treated so bad as to make sure they either leave, fired or are killed on the job from not being provided with backup when ordered to go to unsafe areas, besides their character getting demonized and delegitimised too.

Ah, drinkies, finally a subject I can confidently offer assistance in! For others merely adopted the drink, I was born in it, moulded by it! 😉 Adding to Xprimentyl's pretty accurate summary, drunks are very much lacking efficiency in the "repercussions" side of concern, so where they would usually hold back due to visible consequences, the drink just opens the floodgates for their repressed opinions and behaviors. Perverts become outward perverts, racists become outward racists, wannabe/failed comedians won't shut up *awkward collar tug* However, it shouldn't be confused with 100% honesty truth serum, for males in particular I've experienced time and time again have no problem making any old shit up if they believe it will lead to sex or to impress their peers, which sometimes also leads to sex. Yet again, just down to the missing "repercussions" angle, it's all entirely self-serving. So yes, when inebriators say something shitty, they just failed to have the cognition to care for the consequences of voicing their repressed opinions.

Last edited:

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Hey, mine too! In Texas now, but O-H...! (I will await your obligatory response.)

You... can't be serious.

Need I remind you that the Civil Rights movement was a mere 60 years ago? That people who immediately "benefited" from (as well as those perturbed by) it are still alive today? That that was a time when being black was so criminal, police organized with weapons, dogs, fire hoses and the rule of LAW to rail against it? And you think at some point in such recent time the switch of racism was flipped to the "off" position, and any systemic prejudice just went away? That in no way, the institution of law enforcement has felt hobbled and their authority encroached upon and has since found ways to exercise that old authority disguised within the guidelines of the now? That the literal institutions of "white power" willing ceded their seat once we as a nation agreed on equality?

Save you accusations of "conspiracy" to flat earth and fake moon landings; trivializing the real life experiences of millions of people is exactly the face of the problem you so readily dismiss.
You can remind me, and I will read it. I am not a scholar of American history, and I'm fine with learning more about it. Despite what you may have understood from me, I wouldn't deny any of those happenings. I only denied the way in which they were framed - i.e. it is a conspiracy by white people to oppress other races. The FACT that the US legal-code was designed to target certain groups is not disputed by me. I am opposing the collective guilt that is laid at the feet of an entire group of people. I don't agree with this kind of framework of mind. The same thing goes for theories of Patriarchy. I, as a man, am not responsible for the actions of other men, and should not be vilified for them. I am not my labels. I am my own person.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You can remind me, and I will read it. I am not a scholar of American history, and I'm fine with learning more about it. Despite what you may have understood from me, I wouldn't deny any of those happenings. I only denied the way in which they were framed - i.e. it is a conspiracy by white people to oppress other races. The FACT that the US legal-code was designed to target certain groups is not disputed by me. I am opposing the collective guilt that is laid at the feet of an entire group of people. I don't agree with this kind of framework of mind. The same thing goes for theories of Patriarchy. I, as a man, am not responsible for the actions of other men, and should not be vilified for them. I am not my labels. I am my own person.
Read the thread title.

I'm going to assume you're white when I ask why is it presumably non-racist white people project themselves on to "all white people" when a person of color reminds them that "racism of old" isn't that old and certainly hasn't gone away? No one is laying guilt at a collective anyone's feet; no one is blaming "all white people" for racial injustice; what people are doing is asking "all white people" to acknowledge that SOME within their number abuse their significant power and privilege. If you feel "because I'm not that way, there can't be a problem," then thanks for perpetuating the problem.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Read the thread title.

I'm going to assume you're white when I ask why is it presumably non-racist white people project themselves on to "all white people" when a person of color reminds them that "racism of old" isn't that old and certainly hasn't gone away? No one is laying guilt at a collective anyone's feet; no one is blaming "all white people" for racial injustice; what people are doing is asking "all white people" to acknowledge that SOME within their number abuse their significant power and privilege. If you feel "because I'm not that way, there can't be a problem," then thanks for perpetuating the problem.
I'm not white.
It shouldn't be a crime to be a racist. It should be a crime to act on it. The act of discrimination is a crime, the thought of racism is not. In this case, "racism of old" isn't necessarily "old". The change in recent times is the ability to put this into the consensus - we should not discriminate based on race, and if someone does, we will punish those responsible. Racism itself cannot be legislated away. I live in a very racist society and I don't hold people's racism against them. People just don't know. Their racism is an emotional reaction born out of past experiences and the lack of them. This is why I am not comfortable and I do not agree with things like "patriarchy" and "white privilege" and whatnot. I don't need to be bullied into accepting your worldview. You don't need my approval to act on laws that were already legislated - equal pay act in 1963 and civil rights act of 1964. They did not end racism or sexism but they gave legal tools to fight it and stop it. Use them and stop being a victim.

Reactions: Houseman

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
People asking other people to acknowledge a problem that other people have/are causing doesn't require something to be a crime.
Recognizing racism is not the same as recognizing "systemic racism". Systemic racism is a conspiracy theory where everyone in the system is complicit in the act of racism. I don't think there is a conspiracy between different people in the "system" to be racist, which is why I don't agree with this.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Recognizing racism is not the same as recognizing "systemic racism". Systemic racism is a conspiracy theory where everyone in the system is complicit in the act of racism.
No.

Stop with the radical individualist nonsense.

Reactions: Iron

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
No.

Stop with the radical individualist nonsense.
It's funny because I'm probably the only radical-individualist in this part of the forums. People actually make fun of the phrase "personal responsibility" over here. It's like peering into a bizzaro-world for me. Hell, I'd probably start quoting Bakunin soon if I get the time to reread him.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Systemic racism is a conspiracy theory where everyone in the system is complicit in the act of racism.
Well, except according to almost everyone saying systemic racism exists. That there are problems with a system does not mean everyone in the system is working to ensure the problems are there. I'm part of my countries political and economic system (to an extent), just as you are in yours. I daresay you can see problems in your (or my) systems, doesn't mean you or I, personally, are working to put those problems there.

Likewise, social systems, with problems including racism.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
It shouldn't be a crime to be a racist. It should be a crime to act on it. The act of discrimination is a crime, the thought of racism is not.
Here's one of those "In a Beautiful, Perfect World" scenarios that colors (puns, I got them) the way someone thinks in a way that might prevent them to see the truth.

And, ironically enough, helps perpetuate Systematic racism.

First and foremost, we have to define what a racist action is. Because it's not always a cross burning. It's not always an "American History X" beat down. Nor is it the liberal use of slurs. A racist action is an action committed with bias towards a race with the usual outcome being not favorable for that race.

From here, I think it would be beneficial to talk about Implicit Bias.

Take-home Messages
  • Implicit biases are unconscious attitudes and stereotypes that can manifest in the criminal justice system, workplace, school setting, and in the healthcare system.
  • Implicit bias is also known as unconscious bias or implicit social cognition.
  • There are many different examples of implicit biases, ranging from categories of race, gender, and sexuality.
  • These biases often arise as a result of trying to find patterns and navigate the overwhelming stimuli in this very complicated world. Culture, media, and upbringing can also contribute to the development of such biases
  • Removing these biases is a challenge, especially because we often don’t even know they exist, but research reveals potential interventions and provides hope that levels of implicit biases in the United States are decreasing.
And how do these interact. Well, it's probably easier to think of Implicit Bias as the fuel put into the engine of a Racist Action that leads to the Smoke of Systematic Racism.

Let's go to Implicit Bias in Medical Care and the detrimental effect it could have on Minority Pregnant Women.

That happens to women, especially women of color, every day. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists acknowledges that racial bias within the health care system is contributing to the disproportionate number of pregnancy-related deaths among women of color. Providers spend less time with black patients, ignore their symptoms, dismiss their complaints, and undertreat their pain.

This is especially dangerous because quick assumptions about an individual can make all the difference between empathy and apathy, which can then translate into life and death decisions. Pregnancy-related deaths occur 3.3 times more often among black women, and 2.5 times more often among Native Americans and Alaska Native women, than they do among white women.
Now, due to Implicit Bias (not Racial hate), Minority women are overwhelmingly harmed by a racist action. Not a hate crime. But a racist action. These medical professionals allowed their biases to color how they treated their patients. They didn't give them the proper amount of care for one reason or the other. Again, the narrow view of just angry, hate filled racist actions allows for canyon sized gaps in the system that can shrug away this harm and death as "Well, he didn't do it out of anger so it's just another in a long list of horrible tragedies that just seems to always happen to these people. Oh Well. Next?"

How about the Implicit Bias of Police Stats? How many conversations have we had over these two forums about this topic? One side says Blacks commit disproportionate amount of crimes and are victims of that fall out. First of all... way to always want to look for the individual aspect of us as humans. Doing us proud. But then we go to the other side of the argument where we mention quotas, inaccurate self reporting, and just flat out falsifying evidence and/or false arrest.

The implicit bias remains when presented with the facts that... we're just not getting the whole story from police departments. Only the parts that make them look good. If I was told that I was getting half the story from a person, a company, or a family member, I would question everything I was ever told by them. The implicit bias for those people who still cling on the disproportionate crime speaking point is that they never do. No matter how many articles that are shown that the police are like any other organization: self serving.

So, without hate in their heart, they hear crime is out of control and they don't question it. They vote for law and order candidates. These law and order candidates need to show effort to justify their appointment and, oh look, the minority we already painted to be perpetual bad guys who no one believes. Easy target.

Again, not saying black people don't commit crimes, but I question any information from an organization that has been shown to be lying in multiple areas.

For the majority of my time on earth, I do not have the luxury to be judged by my own merits the second my skin is visible. I'm either "another one of those hoodrats/thugs/gangstas" or "One of the good ones". So one can imagine how galling it is when I hear from the majority that they should be looked as individuals when I lack the same capability and are usually told the reasons why they won't afford me the same opportunity (i.e. "Look at the FBI stats on disproportionate Black Crime")... and not even realizing they are engaging in Implicit Bias to justify the reason I can't be an individual.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
It's funny because I'm probably the only radical-individualist in this part of the forums. People actually make fun of the phrase "personal responsibility" over here. It's like peering into a bizzaro-world for me. Hell, I'd probably start quoting Bakunin soon if I get the time to reread him.
If there is a problem, there must be personal culpability; if there is a problem with the whole system, there must be moral blame to place on everyone involved- or from the other direction, if there isn't particular blame to place, then there cannot be a problem that can justifiably be solved as the solution would presumably require someone somewhere to change their behavior-- behavior which is not necessarily morally blameworthy in itself. The foregoing is what happens to anyone's brain on radical individualism. It's not good.