Why I think GTA V will be a PS3 exclusive.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
HassEsser said:
it just doesn't make sense to me for a developer like Rockstar, to continue to develop on tech they have more than surpassed.
So they're going to make it PC only? SWEEEEEET!

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Pearwood said:
The 360 specs and PS3 specs are so similar any game that runs on one can run on the other. Look at stuff like Halo Reach, beautiful game. I've always had the impression the 360 has better graphics card and stuff and the PS3 has a better processor but the differences are so small no one really cares.

I don't see them cutting their fanbase in half like that, it doesn't really make sense. Unless Sony has bought exclusive rights which I guess is a possibility but we'll have to wait and see about that.
Yup I gotta agree though the Xbox and PS3 are different they are not that different and seriously most games really do look the same on both. The PS3 has a different setup in memory but the Xbox 360 has found limitations with its 10Mb graphic buffer to so..

By now games just look the same, par a filter effect that might be slightly different. Or an anti aliasing method that again is slightly different.

GTA V.. not this generation!

We are reaching the point that developers are pushing the hardware. See Skyrim and its odd bugs.. and its fixes. How to fix? Just lower texture quality slightly... they just pushed it to hard there.

To progress we will need new consoles. And yes I know exclusives can push the hardware better I know..

GTA V will be on the PC and future consoles. Maybe even the WiiU [would be a good start for Nintendo to fix things]

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
I'm doubtful. Rockstar would toss away a gigantic amount of profit if they did that.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
saucecode said:
I see your point, but I don't think Rockstar will make a huge game exclusive to a single platform, because that is just unesessarily narrowing the market.
In the end it's all about the money, for corporations.

Okuu_Fusion

Jul 14, 2010
Skootz said:
the reason why I know it wont be a PS3 exclusive? the trailer was all over my 360's dashboard.
Pretty much this...

I don't think Microsoft would promote a trailer for a PS3 exclusive over Xbox Live...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jove said:
Does it matter what the game is exclusive for? I'm still going to get it on the xbox 360 when it comes out, the PC version of it will be delayed for a few months and I will still laugh at the awesome rag doll physics :D.
Wait, what? It doesn't matter if it's PS3 exclusive; you'll be getting it for the 360 anyway?

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
considering the "leak" from a rockstar employee before the trailer hit the internet (which from their description was pretty spot on) its been made for the pc by a separate rockstar studio, so no its not gonna be a ps3 exclusive, and why would rockstar do that when they will sell just as much if not more on the xbox360 -_-

Okuu_Fusion said:
Skootz said:
the reason why I know it wont be a PS3 exclusive? the trailer was all over my 360's dashboard.
Pretty much this...

I don't think Microsoft would promote a trailer for a PS3 exclusive over Xbox Live...
hahaha yeah and there's that

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I don't think it will be a PS3 exclusive. Do you realize how much money they made with GTA4? If they exclude that to just one system, by the power of maths that's 1/3 of potential sales used.

If I was to speculate, I'd say that PS3 is a definite, and PC is also definite. Because judging from the trailer, the graphics and hardware changes didn't look too severe. And the gaming PC is more powerful than a PS3 anyway, so yeah.

But the 360 is really behind the times. I'm not sure if it will make the cut. Maybe it will, I dunno, with some low poly, low draw distance, low texture res, low graphic version or something.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Blimey I hope not!

Like GTA4 and L.A Noire I can see it coming out on consoles first. That said, Red Dead Redemption never came out on PC (Boooo!) so it's a tricky one and all we can do is keep our ears to the ground.

While I am sure someone already has done, it also couldn't hurt to go to the source and ask them straight out.

Wardy

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
I dunno, seems unlikely but it's Rockstar, they can do whatever they want and still be successful, look at Gta4, they made a serious crime drama instead of another San Andreas, toned down the wacky factor to put in better storytelling, a risky move when people are obsessed with fat space marines dancing in gore.

So yeah, I don't think it's gonna happen but I'd be happy if it did so that I personally would have a better experience when my Ps3 version wouldn't be "held back" by 360. While I doubt they'll do it, I don't think it's impossible, the game already have alot of attention, just imagine the attention if they actually would do such a random thing. And devs live on attention.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
grrr said:
I know that title just screams fanboy but please hear me out on this. So far a lot of rumors have pointed to a reveal through PSM, a magazine dedicated to all things Playstation, now I know that alone doesn't mean that it's an exclusive but there's more. A few years back Rockstar revealed Agent, all we know about it is that it's a PS3 exclusive developed by Rockstar North the developers of the GTA series, but that is literally all we know and North is now developing GTA V. What I think this may point to is that perhaps Rockstar decided to give up on the Agent project at least temporarily and give Sony GTA V as a bit of a holdover or perhaps to get them out of the deal altogether. Another lead is that on the VGA's site they tout a reveal for a "PS3 exclusive you won't believe" what's more unbelievable than this? And last but certainly not least the game looks a bit too good to be on 360 what I mean by that is that I don't know if technically the 360 could handle it, I know that there isn't a huge technology gap between the two but you can deny that the PS3 edges it out in graphical capability and processing power. When exclusively developed games for the PS3 can be noticeably more advanced. Now this is obviously all speculation but I do feel that there is a strong chance of this.
Yeah, no. GTA IV sold about twenty-two million copies in the five years since it was released. Assuming GTA V does as well--and it will benefit from being released on consoles with a larger install base than in 2008--this would basically mean that Rockstar would have to forego 8-9 million sales in order to make it a PS3 exclusive. The compensation required for them to do this would have to be astronomical--probably something like $400m. To put things in perspective, that's almost one-fifth of Sony's annual operating income. Microsoft can afford to do things like this--their annual operating income is $27.16b, and Rare cost $375m when they bought the studio--but Sony can't.

The problem with this, of course, is that Sony would be sticking their neck out in a big way if they made such a move--so much so that they could find themselves in a decidedly unpleasant position as a company if the game tanked (or even sold less than expected). Rockstar, predictably, are going to argue for an exclusivity contract that reflects GTA IV's sales. But I wouldn't hedge my bets that Sony would go out on a limb forecasting 22m sales when GTA IV achieved that on the heels of a slew of perfect scores. So it's highly unlikely an agreement would ever be reached that satisfied both parties.

Also, I don't even know what Agent is--an espionage title, I guess--but unless Sony paid for it like it's the second coming of Christ I'm going to assume that Rockstar wouldn't handover one half of their golden hen to make up for a belated release schedule. As for your comment about graphics--I'm a PS3 owner, and that's fanboyism, pure and simple. This generation has not shown in any substantive way that the PS3 possesses graphics superior enough to the 360's to warrant any significant alterations to cross-platform design (and from a purely operationalist standpoint, the PS3 has sometime has worse graphics).

The Chaz

Dec 1, 2011
No.
Making GTAV a PS3 exclusive is both a terrible financial decision, and a deliberate disservice to a good portion of Rockstar's fans.

And, don't take the VGA's "super-duper exciting announcement exclusives!" too seriously. It's all about publicity, buddy. Probably Pac-Man's Ultimate 3D Adventure, or something equivalent. On second thought, I'd play the nobs off my controller on something like that. Tune in.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
grrr said:
I know that title just screams fanboy but please hear me out on this. So far a lot of rumors have pointed to a reveal through PSM, a magazine dedicated to all things Playstation, now I know that alone doesn't mean that it's an exclusive but there's more. A few years back Rockstar revealed Agent, all we know about it is that it's a PS3 exclusive developed by Rockstar North the developers of the GTA series, but that is literally all we know and North is now developing GTA V. What I think this may point to is that perhaps Rockstar decided to give up on the Agent project at least temporarily and give Sony GTA V as a bit of a holdover or perhaps to get them out of the deal altogether. Another lead is that on the VGA's site they tout a reveal for a "PS3 exclusive you won't believe" what's more unbelievable than this? And last but certainly not least the game looks a bit too good to be on 360 what I mean by that is that I don't know if technically the 360 could handle it, I know that there isn't a huge technology gap between the two but you can deny that the PS3 edges it out in graphical capability and processing power. When exclusively developed games for the PS3 can be noticeably more advanced. Now this is obviously all speculation but I do feel that there is a strong chance of this.
Hang on a tick, Rockstar said the reason they PLANNED to have "Agent" be a PS3 exclusive was their logic that new franchises are easier to launch as exclusive titles, as you have the focus of one community and all that jazz.

GTAV is NOT a new Franchise, it is a continuation of a very familiar one with a very well established reputation, it makes sense to put it on as many platforms as you can to maximise sales.

"reveal for a PS3 exclusive you won't believe"

GTAV has ALREADY been revealed, you can't reveal it again. Reveal would be of something we haven't seen anything for before. Like Agent

I don't know what the situation is with Agent and GTAV but they have said over and over again that Agent is a PS3 exclusive and they have been steadfast in keeping GTAV as a multi-platform game, even the DLC got release on 360, PS3 and PC.

It may be that we get Agent in 2012, but won't actually get to play GTAV till 2013. Who knows, I was totally expecting a reveal for Agent by now.

And last but certainly not least the game looks a bit too good to be on 360 what I mean by that is that I don't know if technically the 360 could handle it
Pro Tip: PS3 is not more powerful than 360.

Ask industry legend John Carmack, he was able to get better performance out of the Xbox 360 than PS3 one the game was installed to the hard drive. GTAIV looked better on 360 than on the PS3. PS3 doesn't even have unified shader structure, that is BAD! The memory is split and the render pathway is full of bandwidth bottlenecks, not to mention how slow the blu-ray drive is.

Rage performed significantly better on 360 than PS3, the most graphically intensive games so far.

Exclusives like Killzone and so on push in certain areas but fail in others. As somone who games on both PS3 and 360 extensively the PS3 has failed to demonstrate any true graphical superiority. Across the board the PS3 version has to have things toned down compared to 360 version, like all the CoD series the Alpha resolution has to be dialed down (transparency) so things like fire and other impressive effects are much more blocky. I can see this is Killzone 2 and 3 so much.

PS3's supposed graphics-monsters games are more exercises in sleight-of-hand more than eking out the most performance. That's Sony's effort in funding massive dedicated development on PS3 compared to Microsoft who have very--little first-party investment though excel at broad third-party support, as Mr Carmack has testified it pays dividends for the likes of Red Dead Redemption, Crysis 2 and so on looking better on 360.

Just compare:

This is no special selection, these are the first two results in google image search for "Red Dead Redemption train" snarrowing to 1280x720 resolution

Uncharted 2 and so on are good games, but NOT because PS3 has any sort of advantage in graphical horse power.

As a PC gamer, I know graphical superiority when I see it and PS3 is far far too limited in terms of lack of unified sharers or memory structure and licensing limitations against large-installs.

Thing is Sony supports exclusives and nurtures them to grow.

Microsoft supports the 360 version of multi-platform games.

If a game is going to be on BOTH 360 and PS3, get the 360 version (if not the PC version). If it's going to be exclusive, you better hope it's a PS3 exclusive.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
EzraPound said:
Also, I don't even know what Agent is--an espionage title, I guess--but unless Sony paid for it like it's the second coming of Christ I'm going to assume that Rockstar wouldn't handover one half of their golden hen to make up for a belated release schedule.

As for your comment about graphics--I'm a PS3 owner, and that's fanboyism, pure and simple. This generation has not shown in any substantive way that the PS3 possesses graphics superior enough to the 360's to warrant any significant alterations to cross-platform design (and from a purely operationalist standpoint, the PS3 has sometime has worse graphics).
Agent is apparently a lot like GTA and supposedly set in the same GTA universe, but it is set in the late 1970's and you are a spy where you travel all over the world. Similar hijinks and over the top set-pieces as GTA's crime-sandbox but with a different premise.

And really, how different is James Bond from Niko Bellic? All about car chases, fine pads and awesome soundtracks only replace the Macguffin from "bag-of-drugs" to "the microchip".

Anyway, I'm looking for the quote from Rockstar North where I remember a developer said they actually CHOSE to keep Agent an exclusive and on PS3 for among other reasons it was a new franchise and few franchises are best launched as platform exclusives. Don't know how much there is to that, whether they really mean that or how true it is, but I do get the impression that Sony supports exclusives more than if they know the developer is also making a 360 version.

PS: is it just me or is it SOOO 2009 someone even mentioning graphical superiority of consoles. I just realised I haven't heard anyone even mention it in what seems like years. Everyone seems to have accepted that they're both pretty much identical with PS3 some minor strengths in some areas yet failings in others, and multi-platforms generally perform SLIGHTLY better on 360. How has the OP not figured this out already?

Sony's strength is not in PS3 hardware, but in their unfailing support of First Party developers like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, MediaMolecule, Guerilla Games, Santa Monica studios and so on. Sony computer Entertainment is just SUCH a huge publisher and their games are kind of artificially kept as PS3 exclusives, a PS3 is worth buying not for the blu-ray player or the cell processor but for the Sony branding, and how that branding lets you play all the games published by Sony.

IMO: Third party games are a waste of time on PS3 if you have 360 or PC as an option.

Maleek

Mar 6, 2008
All multiplat games have sold more on the 360 than on PS3/PC combined...

Rockstar isn't stupid...

Maleek

Mar 6, 2008
grrr said:
GT5 was outdated from the moment of release but that was due to its horrifically drawn out development time and Polyphony's obsession with unimportant details. Look at say Uncharted 3 versus Gears 3 for a more apt comparison plus that's more in GTA's vein. And yes Rockstar does love money but they're a good game studio so I like to think that their primary concern is making a good game.
Ok you're a fanboy