Why I Won't Be Playing God of War 3

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Why I Won't Be Playing God of War 3

Some games should be seen and not played.

Read Full Article

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
You can watch me play God of War 3 any time.

...........that sounded better in my head.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Am I the only person here who got mega man 10 instead?

OT: I'm teaming up with my brother to beat all three in one sitting.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I've never, ever played a game which was better to watch than to play. I find that someone else playing gives me the urge to play myself, and I can usually (if not always) take in the scenery while I am playing. Besides, watching the entire game would be like watching a 10 hour movie, but with the DVD going back to the start of the chapter every now and again;.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Oddly enough, I'm expecting this to link me to an article that says "I don't own a PS3".
Huh? I do have a PS3. I even took it with me on vacation. Maybe I'm just confused by what you're saying.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
My girlfriend has been yelling at me for not playing FFXIII near enough for her to keep up with the story. She also thinks I suck for not playing Valkyria Chronicles enough.

I had 2 people specifically request nights watching me play Fallout 3. Read that sentence again, please. My roommate insisted I tell him when the final showdown in both BioShock and BioShock 2 was about to happen, so he could watch. His brother stopped by while I was playing Arkham Asylum one night, and he's been trying to reschedule a visit to see that again since.

They aren't asking to play. they want to watch.

You are not alone, Susan. There seems to be a growing group of happy spectators.

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
I agree. I couldn't play Uncharted 2 for more than a few minutes before getting frustrated, then I had a friend play it and it was massively enjoyable.
I wont be playing OR buying GoW 3 because I felt like there should not have been a second one. The first one made sense: Ares turned on Kratos, Kratos is pissed, Kratos kills Ares. I felt like the whole of the second one's story came out of left field.
I'll just replay 1, thank you very much.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Couldn't you do both? I do that all the time. I played all of MGS4, then watched (and helped) a friend play it. We also did this for Ninja Gaiden 2 (whihc is inherently cinematic if you have a really good player playing (which I am not); the camera is great for excellent players, sucky for everyone else).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I kinda see your piont....

When a game grips you by the balls the way GoW3 does, the fantastic visuals take a backseat since you're to involved in disemboweling centaurs. By that fact the visual experience maybe better just watching someone play.

....But it's God of War 3, for christ's sake! Do yourself a favor Miss Arendt and just play this freaking behemoth of a game!

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Susan, I would fly out there on my own dime to play God of War 3 for you.

I managed to pick up the Ultimate Edition yesterday (cause I'm a huge nerd) and have had just a blast playing it. Granted I am only an hour or so in. I am still in Hades.

The game looks great, plays like I would expect it to play and will hopefully wrap up the story in a nice pretty bloody bow.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Oddly enough, I'm expecting this to link me to an article that says "I don't own a PS3".
Huh? I do have a PS3. I even took it with me on vacation. Maybe I'm just confused by what you're saying.
It's just my strange sense of humour, don't worry.

Wait, you took your PS3 on vacation? That's serious gaming commitment, the best I manage is a DS.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Dead Space, Condemned and Silent Hill are all far scarier when you take on the role of observer with no direct control over your fate. Sometimes a game's hands-off enjoyment value has less to do with the content and more with the gameplay. Playing a good shooter is always fun, but watching my infinitely more-skilled husband pull off moves I could never dream of achieving is entertainment worthy of its own bowl of popcorn.
This is true for me, as well. I can't play horror games anymore - I just don't get scared by them. There are enemies, I have a weapon, I destroy the enemies with the weapon. The hours I spent being bored by Dead Space didn't even approach the level of fear and adrenaline that watching my clumsy friend stumble through Mirror's Edge invoked in me.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Susan Arendt said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Just because Susan has a functioning brain and expresses opinions nuanced enough to occasionally be interpreted as hostile to Sony and PS3, I can assure you of the following provable facts:

1) She owns a PS3 and plays it. I have her gamertag.
2) She likes the platform, enough so that she would like to see it improve, and the only path to that is informed criticism.
3) She's not a troll, cabbage, or any other non-human sort of thing. She's 100% homo sapien gamericus and on your side (that being the PS3's side) more than you might think.

So, please, no baiting. Wait for her to actually say something you disagree with to start stoking the furnace.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
-blah blah blah-
What? That's not baiting, nor stoking the furnace of the metaphorical anything. And who's side am I on?

What the hell are you talking about man?!

miva2

Mar 18, 2010
i happen to accidentally watch my brother play for a few hours. it's almost as entertaining as playing the game yourself. i like seeing how someone else handles a situation and compare it to what i would have done. that works better with a game than with a movie because the player is right next to you.
i have almost entirely watched mgs3 but haven't played it much.
when i'm watching i do want to pick up the controller myself some time. i'm not going to only watch if i haven't played the game yet!

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I feel this way about a lot of QTE games. Not that GOW is all QTE, but usually, when Kratos is doing his QTE thing, that's when the best scenes are. And I feel like I'm missing some of it by playing it.

But then again, if I have to watch someone else do it, and they won't let me try, my fingers start to itch... such torment I cannot stand.