Why I'm Not Playing Mass Effect 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Why I'm Not Playing Mass Effect 2

It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it. Or not do it.

Read Full Article

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Too long?

I've always thought, ignoring side quests, the main quests in both Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are ridiculously short. That's most likely so you'll replay it though, which is the awesomeness of ME. Want to replay as a woman instead of a bloke? Sure! Want to play as an Adapt instead of a Soldier? Go for it. Want to be Renegade instead of Paragon? Why not.

And of course, there's always them big choices. Seeing the different outcomes is always fun.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
I haven't played ACTUAL games, for what, 8 months now, they LOOK overwhelming, I think it's gonna be great I'm just a tiny bit in all that's happening to the world but a lot of games that I played that made me think like that, actually were pretty disappointing... :( So now I decided not to play them at all.

Mushroomfreak111

Oct 24, 2009
I also haven't played, and will most likely not, play Mass Effect 2. Main reason being that I didn't think the first one was all that (never even finished it), so I don't feel the need to. Everyone has a game like this now and then, you don't dislike it, you just don't really care for or about it at all.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Great article and it hit the nail on the head.

I'm a student and I've just finished some seasonal work. I've been playing Mass Effect for a several days now. I've put in 30+ hours so far and I've just had my first meeting with Saren and have returned to the Citadel; so I have a ways to go yet. If I were working full time there is no way I would be able to play this game. I'd be able to play 3 hours a night, at most, and even that would be difficult. If it's a 50 hour game it would take me about a month to play through that's not realistic. When I was a kid and had all the free time in the world long games were awesome, but now...

Aug 25, 2009
Definitely understand the sentiment. I put aside a whole weekend for Mass Effect 2, and knew I had to finish it within that time or else I'd get behind on university work. I did it, and can now go back through at a more leisurely pace without wanting to finish the story, but if I hadn't been able to take the weekend I might have avoided it too.

I take the same attitude towards games that I do towards books. ME, FF, other acronymed games, are the big novels you've been waiting for for months, and when they finally arrive you se yourself up for a good few hours of reading. Left 4 Dead, Halo, other full name games, are the comic books you pick up that get you through an hour or so before you go to a seminar.

For me at the moment in my life there's room for both, and I hope that stays the same as long as possible, because I hate having to start a story and not finish it as quickly as possible. (This is what stopped me playing Lost Odyssey for such a long time). I suppose it also does come down to what you want out of gaming. I love my stories, and so ME2, great game for me.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
I'm a bit confused, you don't want to play the game because it's "huge, it's epic, it's deep"? I always thought a long game is a good thing, you know, like reading a very deep book. Just proves to show that one man's waste of time is another man's epic gaming time. :D

Sparrow said:
I've always thought, ignoring side quests, the main quests in both Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are ridiculously short.
Ditto. I breezed through ME1 in just a few hours (I was too lazy to do any sidequests back then).

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
I haven't played it (well I have, but I got bored quite quickly. Sorta, it's difficult to explain), but the time was one of the reasons.
Sparrow said:
Too long?

I've always thought, ignoring side quests, the main quests in both Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are ridiculously short. That's most likely so you'll replay it though, which is the awesomeness of ME. Want to replay as a woman instead of a bloke? Sure! Want to play as an Adapt instead of a Soldier? Go for it. Want to be Renegade instead of Paragon? Why not.

And of course, there's always them big choices. Seeing the different outcomes is always fun.
And this was another, and the reason I never finished KOTOR (sorta as well, don't ask), I feel that only allowing people to get bonuses for being either complete duoche or Jesus is not good storytelling.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Mass Effect 1 is like 10 hours for main plot, 30 hours total for all sidequests.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Jannycats said:
I'm a bit confused, you don't want to play the game because it's "huge, it's epic, it's deep"?
No, it's because it's very story-driven, as well as being ridiculously deep, so if a different game he wanted to play came out, he would never finish the story (at least I think that's what it said).

CommyGingerbreadMan

Dec 22, 2009
ADD is hard.

It's not like there isn't a save function. I guess classic literature is also out the window for you too.

I love games that last long, they are able to keep my entertainment up for as long as possible. I can leave and go back to whenever time permits.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Games arent LONG ENOUGH nowadays! Multiplayer games get repetitive to me real fast...wow fill up the generator for the 20th time...not fun.

Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games ive ever played because each quest is different than the last one. Not all of us has the money to afford a game a week let alone a game a month! (as for me I buy 3-4 games a YEAR so I want them to last long!). You're not only doing Bioware a disservice for not playing their amazing games...you're doing YOURSELF a disservice for not experiencing these epic games that a FAR better than any L4D's or WOW's or MW2's.

In summary, I disagree with you in every way.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Well. To be honest. I play ME2 for that exact purpose. The instant joy, and not the overall experience. I sure as hell wouldn't start playing ME1 (combat is less... Awesome), but I just love to kick sum' mother f**king ass in ME2. It just looks awesome as you use your biotic powers.

Feb 13, 2008
I'll heartily agree with this.

Many nights I've looked at my Steam list and decided, "I can't play this tonight, I just don't have enough time."

Evil Genius, Puzzle Quest, Mass Effect, Jagged Alliance, Majesty, and Team Fortress 2.

I pick TF2 because I know I can be over and done with within a half hour, even if I do take 2 hours on it.

I also know that I won't have wasted 2 hours because one stupid knight going one way doesn't make that entire 2 hours irrelevant.

That's the thing with Retro Games, every second is IMPORTANT. Modern games expect you to wait for the Vespene Gas, Cloak bar, Warp Generator. When time was measured in quarters (10p's), you KNEW that you were in for a world of hurt from the start. Now you have to spend half an hour going through a stupid tutorial.

Like Lost and Neighbours, today's entertainment requires you give up something. I just quite like letting a Sim drown sometimes. Something immediate.

BTW, I have over 1000 hours logged on CoX, so don't call me casual. :)

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
If you're playing to see the ending, you're playing for the wrong reason. These games can't be long enough for me since I'm only playing through once, as going through the same missions again is boring, but the game itself is amazing when new scenarios keep popping up.

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
Nice argument for DAO but ME1 can be finished in a day if you ignore the pointless side questing. ME2's main plotline is probably less than 10 hours.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
I haven't played ME1 because I can't play ME1... I was gifted it in the Steam sales and it just fails to run.
Yes, I've done everything on the forums, yes I've sent Steam Support a message, yes I did what they said, no it still doesn't work... sadface.

Drundy

Dec 9, 2009
The only thing I hate about very long games is that if you dont play it for a couple of days you will not get in the mood for it.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
I totally empathise, I love DA:O but can only play for 2-3 hours a week. There's just too much else that I want to do and I can easily see me never completing DA:O and I'm a little sad about it, it does seem like a waste to just stop and walk away.

CommyGingerbreadMan said:
ADD is hard.

It's not like there isn't a save function. I guess classic literature is also out the window for you too.

I love games that last long, they are able to keep my entertainment up for as long as possible. I can leave and go back to whenever time permits.
I remember when I had all that free time...

Then Mortgages, bills, relationships and responsibilities kicked in...