Why Indigo Prophecy 2 May Never Happen

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Why Indigo Prophecy 2 May Never Happen

Quantic Dream CEO David Cage has thought about the possibility of a sequel to Indigo Prophecy before, but after careful consideration, he decided that it's time to move on.

Indigo Prophecy, otherwise known as Fahrenheit in the non-USA parts of the world, should stand as a memorable experience for most people who got the chance to play through the entire game.

While it started as a gritty urban adventure game filled with psychological weirdness and QTEs, it eventually turned into something very, very, very different [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYT3NlpUaw4], leaving some gamers wishing to never hear of the game again and others compelled to experience more of developer Quantic Dream's idiosyncratic vision.

The people in the former category probably have gotten their wish, according to what director David Cage had to say in an interview with 1UP [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174322]. According to Cage, Indigo Prophecy 2 was a very nearly a reality. After the release of the first game, "when we started talking to publishers, many of them told us they loved Indigo and they were interested in publishing the sequel."

So Cage started dreaming up Indigo Prophecy 2. That's when he realized the game just wasn't in him any more, none of it. "So I started thinking of Indigo 2 but I quickly realized I had nothing more to say on this story and these characters," Cage recalled. "I really enjoyed the time I spent with them, but they were attached to a moment in my life, and I had moved on."

Instead, he "wanted to write something more personal, deeper, more adult, with no world to save and no supernatural powers." Those ambitions may be made manifest in Quantic Dream's next game, the still-enigmatic Heavy Rain.

So if you were hoping for another game full of over-the-top Dragonball Z-style fights with Mayan hobos [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw2pnkmYIhI], I'm sorry to say that it sounds like Quantic Dream has moved on. Never say never, though.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Well, I'm glad. It didn't need a sequel, it needed to be more fleshed out in and of itself.

Dastardos

Jan 4, 2009
I loved Indigo Prophecy. The end kinda pissed me off, but it was still a great game, especially the beginning. It doesn't need a sequel though, it resolved everything with its character. I'm happy it isn't getting one to tell you the truth.

I feel the same for the Donnie Darko sequel S. Darko. It is completely unnecessary and it a kick in the nuts to fans. That's a completely different rant though.

Hopefully Heavy Rain will be great.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
**POTENTIAL SPOILERS!**
I loved the original but the rushed developing love between Lucas and Carla and the matrix style influences further towards the end were a little disappointing in comparison to what was a lot more imaginative (interaction and story wise) in the beginning and middle.

Jul 9, 2008
Leroy Frederick said:
**POTENTIAL SPOILERS!**
I loved the original but the rushed developing love between Lucas and Carla and the matrix style influences further towards the end were a little disappointing in comparison to what was a lot more imaginative (interaction and story wise) in the beginning and middle.
I know. Whenever I tell someone why I didn't like the last 1/4 of Indigo Propecy, I always word it as "I preferred it when Lucas was a normal man in extraordinary circumstances, rather than a bandaged kung foo fighting zombie chosen-one".

Dastardos

Jan 4, 2009
Leroy Frederick said:
**POTENTIAL SPOILERS!**
When you have spoilers put them in a spoiler box.

(spoiler=what you want the box to say)Text here(/spoiler) Replace ( and ) with [ and ]

But yes the Matrix action was just...not needed.

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
I wouldn't be interested in an Indigo Prophecy sequel, but I would be interested in an Indigo Prophecy remake where everything from the museum on was chopped out and replaced by something that matched the first half of the game and was good.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I'd like to say 'congratulations, you've ruined my life', but that would be a lie.

To be honest, I'm fine with no sequel for that game. Heavy Rain's coming, and it's Quantic Dreams narrative vision that had me hooked, not necessarily the title itself.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Has anything of Heavy Rain other than a long string of QTE's been shown yet? Because I'm interested, but I kind of want more than QTE: The Game.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
re-make? a lot of console gamers seemed to have missed it the first time around
heavy rain seems similar, but it hasn't caught my interest (the story)

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
Well if they just could not feel it, then I congratulate the developers, while we the games might not get a sequel, these guys knew when NOT to make a sequel and try and pummel a franchise for all it's worth. These guys knew when to just pack it up and move on and I applaud them for this considering that many developers, "cough Nintendo cough" still need to realize this and could learn a lesson from Quantic Dream

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Leroy Frederick said:
**POTENTIAL SPOILERS!**
The necrophilia was a bit much for me.

Mar 26, 2008
scnj said:
Has anything of Heavy Rain other than a long string of QTE's been shown yet? Because I'm interested, but I kind of want more than QTE: The Game.
That's what I'd like to know, because Indigo Prophecy was very close to what you'd call "QTE: The Game." Compelling story and unique method of control though.

I'm a big fan of Quantic Dreams though. Their games do seem to polarise people though; Omnikron: The Nomad Soul anyone?

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Similar narrative structure, different story, different characters, less QTEs (or at the very least: a "movie mode", where you could see what actually happened in the cutscenes without the QTEs getting in your face and making you miss everything).

That's the sort of thing that I'd prefer, instead of a direct sequel. And yeah, no more necrophilia please.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
orannis62 said:
Leroy Frederick said:
**POTENTIAL SPOILERS!**
I know. Whenever I tell someone why I didn't like the last 1/4 of Indigo Propecy, I always word it as "I preferred it when Lucas was a normal man in extraordinary circumstances, rather than a bandaged kung foo fighting zombie chosen-one".
This.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Hmmm... I hadn't realised how ridiculous that fight had looked... I think I was concentrating too hard on the QTEs to notice.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
As much as I liked Indigo Prophecy, that "love" probably only went up until half of the game. The latter half really didn't satisfy or convince me.

Even if I don't own a PS3 I have higher hopes for "Heavy Rain", rather than an Indigo Prophecy sequel.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
@Dastardos: Thanks, I have to remember to try that next time :)

Just another thought, I found some of the 'as kids' gameplay frustrating too, it was very difficult to tell if the soldiers were gonna nab you or not, but I suppose that's nitpicking a little. It was fun trying to maintain everybody's lives and mental states and the soundtrack (Haaaaaaaang it up! Don't you know you gotta...) was great too, very memorable!

A remake might not be a bad idea especially for those who missed it as overall it's a unique gaming (or more interactive movie) experience, but considering they probably wouldn't / couldn't deal with it's original shortcomings as mentioned previously, maybe it's best to just nab the original on xbox live (as I did) or secondhand.

I'm definitely in the interested camp as far as what Quantic Dream / David Cage come up with next, there's vision in that studio.

Oh and necrophilia, yeah, I forgot, he's already dead when they (seemed out of nowhere) come together right? Whoa :S

EDIT: As far as a sequel's concerned, I don't think it's a good idea because I can only see it becoming Matrix full resolution or something along those lines, unless they make the weak parts of the story a delusion or dream (perhaps because of mental state) and work from there although I don't know how fans would buy into that 180 story switch.