Why Is Destiny Suddenly Among Your Downloaded PS4 Games?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Then they can sue us for downloading their game without buying it! lolololol

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Couldn't they at least do this with a good game? Or better yet, why not auto-redeem and download Playstation Plus free games? I would totally be behind that (provided it's opt-in). It'd be cool to get home on the first Tuesday of the month and have new games waiting for me, ready to try right away.

P.S. Thanks

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Fucking ridiculous if you ask me, it seems all these big companies are forgetting that not everybody has fast or unlimited internet, I feel terrible for anybody that has a data-cap and is getting screwed over by this, even for somebody that doesn't have a datacap it's still taking up hard-drive space and still taking up bandwidth...shameful and shitty thing to do

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Keep trying, Sony. I'm sure someone somewhere will eventually want to play it.

In theory, this sounds like a nice idea, but how about you just download a demo of said game? Like a single level of a shooter, or the opening part of a RPG. Something the gamer can try for free, and then decide if they want to put up the money for the whole thing.
Oh, and announce it too. Or at least ask. Don't be like Microsoft was and just assume that everyone has internet access that puts the third world to shame.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
I'm waiting for the class action suit or the refund claims system to drop from a great height.
Class action suit is a no-go. Sony specifically built a clause into the PSN agreement making it against the rules to participate in one or they shut down your account. So if you're willing to be martyr, or file a second suit in the blind hope that the Supreme Court will reverse its own ruling that companies are allowed to take away the basic human right of suing billion-dollar corporations, be my guest.

A curious game, capitalism. The only winning move is not to play.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
It's amazing how this new generation is just full of consoles doing shitty things that you then have to go and disable in the options menu AFTER it's fucked you over.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Steve the Pocket said:
Class action suit is a no-go. Sony specifically built a clause into the PSN agreement making it against the rules to participate in one or they shut down your account. So if you're willing to be martyr, or file a second suit in the blind hope that the Supreme Court will reverse its own ruling that companies are allowed to take away the basic human right of suing billion-dollar corporations, be my guest.

Lucky for me, I live in a country where that clause is both non-existant and illegal if it were.

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
I've been considering getting Destiny for my PS4, but seeing as they've just pushed out microtransactions and Sony sticking this link to a purchase on my homescreen they can forget it. Now Bungee & Activision can enter my never buy from company list along with EA and Ubisoft. What a joke.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Steve the Pocket said:

Lucky for me, I live in a country where that clause is both non-existant and illegal if it were.
Fairly confident that's illegal even in the US... You can't have a clause in an agreement that categorically says you will not participate in a lawsuit no matter what. A fair number of EULA's have things in them that wouldn't actually hold up in court if fought by a rich/well represented person.

EDIT: What ruling were you referring to exactly? Out of curiosity? (You being the pony).

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
"The PS4 system has the ability to learn about your preferences," Sony explained on its website. "It will learn your likes and dislikes, allowing you to discover content pre-loaded and ready to go on your console in your favorite game genres or by your favorite creators.
So, it's just like the other typical suggestions in online stores. Those can be pretty hit or miss. If I put a DVD of a shonen anime in my wishlist at a store, sure enough another or three shonen anime will be in the suggestions.

Some games probably get extra attention if Sony gets some money under the table. Activision might have even payed Sony enough to do this to everyone, including users who never played an FPS or online game.

At least there is the option to disable this stupid psychological trick. The dirty thing is it's enabled by default and implies that you got something for free as a marketing stunt.
WeepingAngels said:
Anyone else missing the simplicity of the PS2 era and before?
I sure am. I can't wait for the generation where online really is necessary to play single player (streaming only or always online DRM finally winning *shudders*). At least I keep all of my old consoles, games and DVDs, so when the internet goes out, I got something. Those items also don't try any marketing mind tricks to weasel me out of more money.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
If my PS4 has the ability to learn my preferences, it needs to try a lot, lot harder.

So glad I can turn it off.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Fanghawk said:
zombiejoe said:
Wait wait wait, I understand paying the internet service provider for the download, but is the game itself downloaded for free, or are they charging you for the game too?
No, it auto-downloads the game for free, but you can't actually play it until you pay money. It just sits there taunting you.
You can actually play the game without buying it, it will only let you level up to level 7, but you can play the game nonetheless.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Fanghawk said:
The good news is you haven't actually downloaded game content, despite what "pre-loaded" implies. The function can even be switched off in your PS4 settings. Just open the "System" menu, access "Automatic Downloads", and disable "Featured Content".
"Pre-loaded" "automatic downloads" but "it didnt download anything, honest". smells fishy in here.

Steve the Pocket said:
Class action suit is a no-go. Sony specifically built a clause into the PSN agreement making it against the rules to participate in one or they shut down your account.
This is actually illegal. this clause has absolutely no legal power.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Sony, don't even bother.

With my connection it'll take the whole damn day to download.
Really scummy practise.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Fanghawk said:
The good news is you haven't actually downloaded game content, despite what "pre-loaded" implies. The function can even be switched off in your PS4 settings. Just open the "System" menu, access "Automatic Downloads", and disable "Featured Content".
A demo being promoted onto your console?

Oooooh soooooo scummy.

What's this? Why did this game I didn't purchase show up in my Steam Library? What!? Free game weekend?! Fuck that scummy bullshit!!! Try harder, Valve!!! /s

Okay, seriously....

Has there actually been a confirmed case of this happening? All I'm seeing is outrage at the presumption that this happens automatically, but other escapists saying all that pops up is an icon. No actual download taking place.

If that's the case, then just don't download it, and ignore it instead.

Unless Destiny actually does download game files automatically (screwing over people with data caps), then what is the problem?