Why is it only Nintendo's new IPs that "don't count"?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I've never understood why people have to be so petty as to have a "war" about consoles or pcs at all. Seriously who gives a shit? If you don't like a particular platform, just don't buy it or it's products. What does it matter if other people enjoy stuff you don't? It's frankly completely stupid and juvenile.
Decades of consumer conditioning...

...and the results speak for themselves.

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
See Nintendo fans have to keep moving the goal post.

Ok you want a fighting game comparison? Does 1.8 million digital copies of Mortal Kombat 11 at LAUNCH count? No of course not because it's not a "new" IP right?
Of course that's impressive. But ARMS was also able to sell a million in just a month, and was able to get to 2 million by mid 2018. Sure, the sales legs of the game may have slowed down, but being able to sell that much in a short amount of time is impressive, especially for a New IP.

How about an arena shooter? Overwatch was a new IP, oh welp that's 50 million copies so i guess we can't use that because it's from Blizzard and we all know blizzard is much more popular than Nintendo somehow.
Overwatch is a shooter, thus has far more mainstream appeal than Fighting games do.

Tekken 7 maybe? Let's try that.Oooh nope 7 million and it's part of a franchise so can't do that I guess.
Yeah, that's part of a long running franchise that's had time to grow.

Look, all those games you listed had great sales, nobody is saying otherwise. What we're saying is that they don't somehow make ARMS a "failure", when its sales were impressive in its own right as well.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Decades of consumer conditioning...
]
...and the results speak for themselves.
Ok so let me clarify, when I say things like "I've never understood" it's not that I don't actually understand. I'm very familiar with human behavior, and consumer conditioning and the like. What I mean when I say "i've never understood" is that I find it fairly dumb, and irrational, and something that shouldn't be fostered in our society. That people should just take a second and sit back, and realize that them liking something someone else doesn't, and vice versa, when it's just entertainment products, is just fine. Nothing is gained by setting up divisions between the two groups and fighting over it. You don't "win", there is nothing to "win". You just waste time and energy and sanity ofthe people around you, on a subject that is ultimately fruitless, and ends with everyone still liking what they like, regardless of what you said to them.

Nobody in this thread is going to actually convince anyone else that X console is shit/the best. It's NEVER worked, for the years this site has existed, and people have been arguing this. Everyone just tosses numbers at each other, and then the other party just ignores it, or tosses their own numbers right back. And this is just one site, in the grand scheme of social media. I mean, seriously, just sit and think for a second, about how much data usage, electricity, human time and thought, is being wasted (and yes that does include my content in threads like this too), on arguing which plastic box has the better pixelated people to control with sticks and buttons.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Yoshi

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
As someone who has more or less sidelined this entire discussion, I wanna jump in riiight about here...

See Nintendo fans have to keep moving the goal post.
Not really, because...

I don't know what else to say, nothing directly compares if you keep shifting the goalpost to whatever fits your narative. You don't wanna see facts fine, then there is no conversation to be had.
I think it'd be good to remember that demographics are a thing. If I had the power and money to make a game, there's simply no way my brand new RTS or Puzzle game IP is gonna suddenly transcend the sales of a new FPS or Open World IP. It's simply a matter of the market and demographics. It's easy to pretend there's goalpost movement and "fitting the narrative" when one of the biggest factors to a game getting sales and becoming popular is completely ignored.

A lot of the examples you've provided before were new releases in existing and already popular IP. And the ones that were from a new IP were of a more popular genre, and thus a more popular demographic. If you want a truly fair and level comparison, then a new 3D arena fighter IP should be compared to a new 3D arena fighter IP. Otherwise you're mixing genres and demographics, and I'd say that is more "fitting the narrative."

Here's the bottom line. Nintendo's IPs tend to exist in a vacuum of Nintendo world. Meanwhile Microsoft and Sony's IP's transend there sphere of influence. Every Sony fan is aware when new Halo and Gears of War shits comes out. Just like Microsoft fans know when new Uncharted, Killzone, and Final Fantasy games come out.

When Nintendo makes a new IP, only Nintendo fans care. When Microsoft and Sony makes a new IP EVERYBODY cares.
I had to edit this one in cause I wanna make sure it's laid out right. It starts with talking about new IPs from all 3 companies, then talks about releases for existing IPs for Microsoft and Sony (But not Nintendo), and then compares Nintendo's new IPs to that, but also Microsoft and Sony's new IPs afterwards again? This post is confusing.

Either way, I'm pretty sure the entire industry is still well aware of when Nintendo releases a new Smash Bros, Mario, or Legend of Zelda, just to balance out your comments towards Microsoft and Sony's reach when releasing games in an existing IP. New IP can be debated differently, however

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan