Why is LOZ OOT more memorable than LOZ TP

mik1

Dec 7, 2009
What made ocarina of time the great game it is? Twilight princess improved so much on so many aspects. Yet no one talks about it any more than a great game. No matter what kind of fanboy you are everyone agrees OOT is an amazing game. Very confusing.

I gave this some serious thought and the best reason I could think was the simple newness of it.

Any other ideas?

pixiejedi

Jan 8, 2009
For me it was the simple fact of being the right game at the right time. I was in middle school and had nothing to do but binge on OoT. Twilight Princess had the disappointment of the Wii and motion controls to contend with along with more competition. Thats just me though.

Mikodite

Dec 8, 2010
OOT was a game changer. TP not so much, not that it wasn't a good game or anything. Its really that simple.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Actually, TBH, TP was more memorable to me than OOT. TP ('cube version anyway, the only version I have played) had much more interesting environments and characters than OOT. OOT was just basic LoZ, nothing more, nothing less. In all honestly, it was kind of bland. Good, but bland Not much "spice", so to speak, especially compared to later offerings like MM and WW.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
I thought TP was pretty memorable, honestly. But they're basically the same game, so it mostly matters which one you played first :)

Plus, everyone knows the best Zelda game ever made is Link's Awakening. And my opinion on the subject has nothing to do with the fact it was the first one I played when I was a kid, honest! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuspiciouslySpecificDenial]

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
If I had to guess? Memories, nostalgia, many of the people here played OoT as a little kid, and so they feel all nostalgic about it.
Thinking of it brings memories of an easier, more carefree time for many.

I myself don't have such memories of it since if I do remember I was only about 5 or 6 when my older brothers got the game and it was far too hard and confusing for me at the time, I instead just ended up running around the forest village at the start.
...Come to think of it, pretty much the same thing happened with Donkey Kong 64, and Banjo Kazooie... For Majora's mask I got too scared and stopped playing.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Mainly because it was the first 3D Zelda, and the most vanilla of them so far. Its unlikely that any following Zelda game will match it as a classic.

But I've been thinking lately about how TP felt like it was missing something. And I've come to the conclusion that its because TP had more space but fewer, and shallower, towns and points of interest.

I also think that the overworld structure was less satifying. OoT had one large expanse (Hyrule Field) from which everything else branched out. In TP, Hyrule Field is just one big circuit divided into comparatively more linear and less interesting spaces.

Also, no zombies.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
Both TP and OoT are in my top 10 favorite games, along with MM. But what makes OoT one, if not the greatest, of the best reviewed and favorited game of all time was because of the time it came out. It was because they created an amazing 3D game, which was pretty new to people who played consoles, out of a popular 2D franchise. All TP did was improve upon a few things, but it didn't really change anything for the franchise.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
It was one of the games that helped bring gaming (not to mention an already beloved franchise) into the 3rd dimension.
Twilight Princess was essentially another game, if it had managed to use the motion controls better (like Red Steel did and Skyward Sword hopefully will) then it may have gotten a bit more credit, but nothing thusfar has compared to the jump between 2D and 3D gaming.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Feralcentaur said:
Donkey Kong 64
The first time I played DK 64 was at my cousins house. He told me that going through the tunnel marked "exit" would exit me out of the game, so I just ran around the starting area the whole time.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Plus, everyone knows the best Zelda game ever made is Link's Awakening. And my opinion on the subject has nothing to do with the fact it was the first one I played when I was a kid, honest! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuspiciouslySpecificDenial]
Agreed ... and for the same reason. But I'll be honest, when I was young, I always got stuck ... I think it was after the swamp-dungeon. It wasn't until years later when I replayed it that I went "Ooooh, this is what I do *do it*. And there's the rest of my game!"

EDIT: Okay, to be fair, I've only ever played Link's Awakening and Twilight Princess, mainly because I didn't have a gamecube, and when I had a gba I never had any money.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Thoughts from someone who was too lazy to get through either:

You say Twilight Princess improved on aspects of the previous.

Ocarina of time MADE those aspects. It's the foundation of every 3D Legend of Zelda game that came after.

This, plus that fact that it's still pretty damn good on it's own most likely increase its stock. Twilight Princess doesn't have the same impact.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
While not the first Zelda, Im guessing most of us played OoT before the origional NES game. That alone makes it more memerable. Even if TP is better (havent played it though actually), it was not the first. I could make a sex comparison here, but Im sure you all could guess where Im going with that.

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
I haven't played TP.

That's why it's more memorable for me.

I prefer MM far more than OoT, anyway. OoT is alright, I just much prefer MM's story and setting.

I want a Master Quest of MM. Now that would be a beastly game.

Mikodite

Dec 8, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
Actually, TBH, TP was more memorable to me than OOT. TP ('cube version anyway, the only version I have played) had much more interesting environments and characters than OOT. OOT was just basic LoZ, nothing more, nothing less. In all honestly, it was kind of bland. Good, but bland Not much "spice", so to speak, especially compared to later offerings like MM and WW.
It may very well depend on your age whether or not OOT or TP is the more remembered experience. After all, OOT is a relic of sorts while TP is the more relevant game.

From an industry perpective, OOT was the more rememberable title as it did things that games at the time weren't. It took the 3D mechanics that made Super Mario 64 the game changer that it was and translated to an adventure game: with things like auto-jumping over platforms by running into them, targeting that would have otherwise made combat cumbersome and annoying, day-night transition that wasn't intrusive and made a difference to gameplay, game rendered cutscenes, an evolution of the lightworld/darkworld mechanic where aspects about your character change like the model used and what items you can and can't use... there's more, I just can't think of it at the moment.

TP on the other hand... OOT updated with the stuff that made WW cool. It was still a good game, but it wasn't a game changer. Everything in TP, for the most part, were seen before in past Zelda games or were done elsewhere in gaming.

Course, TP is the newer game and two console generations ahead, catering to another generation of gamer who has a different philosophy onn gaming than the generation before them, so it makes sense that they would look at OOT and think "ancient relic of yesteryear" and see TP as the better game.

Its a matter of perspective. Just saying.

VincentR

Apr 17, 2011
Yep yep, as several people have said or hinted at: nostalgia, etc. etc.

For me, it was the first Zelda game I ever played ( I was about six.. or something.. all I know is that I couldn't read the game, and had my family reading EVERYTHING for me. :D), and I also played it through with a friend from school. Oh my god, we spent so long on such simple things.. but it was so much fun.

Also, I still think it was just an incredibly fun, and yes - NEW, game; at least for me.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I guess it's mostly nostalgia that drives these opinions across. People often look back at the games of their childhood with fond memories.

As for me, I do believe OOT was a great game, but I hold a bit more nostalgic attachment to Majora's Mask to be honest. As for TP, I've never beaten the game, but from what I have played of it, it does seem very good. Maybe someday I should get that game again and actually try to play all the way to the end.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
A really obvious three-word answer: First 3D Zelda (does "3D" count as one word or two? ...It's a three or four word answer). It introduced a lot of wonderful gameplay elements. And man that world was massive at the time (it still feels big and awesome to me now).

That's why Twilight Princess isn't as memorable, though it is my favorite Zelda game (and second favorite game of all-time next to Mass Effect 2).

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
I think it's more of the tone of the games. OOT switched between kid Link and adult Link but the tone stayed the same. To me this was one part that kept the game from feeling too serious.

While TP switched between grownup Link and wolf Link which made the game go from sorta-carefree (similar to OOT) to brooding and dark, which is the first LOZ game I ever played to give that vibe - and I've played pretty much all of them.