Why is LOZ OOT more memorable than LOZ TP

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Golem239 said:

IMMA LET Y'ALL FINISH BUT MAJORA'S MASK WAS THE BEST ZELDA GAME OF ALL TIME
As nice as OOT and TP were, MM was the absolute best.

OT: It's mainly a nostalgia thing with a mix of it was an easier experience than MM. In my case, I like MM more than OOT since it improved on everything in OOT and it was the first Zelda game I played.

[small]...totally not biased...[/small]

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Ocarina of Time was a game changer. It was more than the 2D-to-3D leap for The Legend of Zelda, it was a significant part of gaming as a whole making that leap. It is one of the most influential games ever made. Both are great games, but Twilight Princess isn't as memorable because games like it are much more common these days. So even though Twilight Princess is arguably eben better than Ocarina, it's OoT that will be talked about in video game history books.

Midna is a huge improvement over Navi though ;)

Crapster

Aug 6, 2009
Since most of the current most desirable demographic in gaming grew up playing it.

That said, however, TP had a much better design concept than OOT, as far as appearance was concerned. However, it did not tell as strong of a story, since elements that were used absolutely perfectly in OOT (Zelda and Ganondorf) were mishandled in TP, since they more or less appear out of nowhere.

That said, TP did have a ton of nice little flourishes (like the music shifting to the Overworld Theme when a boss becomes vulnerable) but it also did not use its characters quite as well.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Twilight Princess improved on everything, but didn't really change anything.

Ocarina of Time invented 3D Zelda. From scratch. It didn't exist before.

That's the difference.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
mik1 said:
What made ocarina of time the great game it is? Twilight princess improved so much on so many aspects. Yet no one talks about it any more than a great game. No matter what kind of fanboy you are everyone agrees OOT is an amazing game. Very confusing.

I gave this some serious thought and the best reason I could think was the simple newness of it.

Any other ideas?
Well, much like Mario 64, I would say the radical shift in comparison to older 2d versions of the same thing would help it stick in a person's mind.

Whereas TP just looks like: "The same, but better." - Which might make it more polished and visibly more impressive, but doesn't do much for how memorable it is.

I do find the answers the people that made it gave very interesting though:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/1/0

Half of them seem to think part of what made it special was because they all just basically tried anything they thought of, (and had ill-defined job areas too - meaning if they came up with a cool idea, they might try and make it themselves, rather than hand it over to someone else.)

Apparently, OOT had no clear direction or game design, and was put together rather hap-hazardly...

It... Was also notoriously delayed several times.
(And the dev team response to this being "Great, now I have more time to implement this new idea I came up with.")

Essentially, then, they think what made it so great was how chaotic and unrestrained the development process was.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
It is way more repetitive than most other Zelda games. You go through a Deku Tree, Dodongo Cave, and Jabuu's Belly. Shortly after, you go through a Forest, Fire, and Water temple. While this is really the only incident, it takes up over 1/2 the game.

I prefer Majora's Mask because I like that time travel gimmick of going back and forth through a scarce three days and toying with time the entire experience.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
Well, there are two major reasons. The first is that, when OOT was first introduced, it was truly revolutionary. It innovated a number of new concepts, and there really wasn't anything else like it on the market. While TP is certainly an extremely well-made game, it can't boast the same credentials.

The second reason is nostalgia. I'm not talking about the effect OOT has upon those who grew up with it, although that does play a significant part. I'm referring about the fact that the game itself is, in large part, about nostalgia. It tackles weighty themes like the fleeting nature of childhood and does so fairly well. In my experience at least, the same cannot be said for TP.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
-Dragmire- said:
Nostalgia tells me Link to the Past and FF6 were better, I played them at a very impressionable age.
FFVI is way better then VII >_> I consider my likes for them on 2 fields for zelda tho Link to The Past and Links Awakening non DX are tied for one tho and OoT is top for the other

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
pspman45 said:
Veldie said:
Snip
Not starting a flame war but OoT was better easily. Im not stating it off nastalgia or new effect whatever hell i got TP on Gamecube since I lack a wii due to my hatred of motion controls.
I played them back to back and have compaired them

Overall in comparison they just have a clear side of better.
Equipment is easy for this comparison
Most the gear in TP was worthless or became worthless later on like that dumb rod and the Slingshot.

While the Clawshots had some coolness to it it didnt get to show it off enough to really make it awsome.

The shields didnt have much diffrence to them and it was slightly annyoing.

The games puzzles didnt really stop me or anything minus the one temple I have probs with probly EVERY SINGLE GAME the bloody water temple.

The Heart Piece change was a bit annyoying but I kinda liked its change.

Bosses while they felt larger and bigger in some cases fav being the fish they where extreamly easy to beat.

Ganondorf felt kinda tacted on in the end but his Boss fight was fun as hell

I liked Collecting stuff better in TP tho since there wasnt those god damn gold skeltula's....

Midna I will admit is fucking hot once she changes forms xD|

while the wolf concept is really cool it became repetive and tedies later on from switching.

Thats some of my stuff I have to say if you wish to talk about it not get hostile we can go into better detail.

efeat

Sep 22, 2010
Mikodite said:
From an industry perpective, OOT was the more rememberable title as it did things that games at the time weren't. It took the 3D mechanics that made Super Mario 64 the game changer that it was and translated to an adventure game: with things like auto-jumping over platforms by running into them, targeting that would have otherwise made combat cumbersome and annoying, day-night transition that wasn't intrusive and made a difference to gameplay, game rendered cutscenes, an evolution of the lightworld/darkworld mechanic where aspects about your character change like the model used and what items you can and can't use... there's more, I just can't think of it at the moment.
Really? You're going to praise it for a good day-night system? That's just common sense. Who on earth would make a game where transitioning from day to night causes an abrupt interruption to the gameplay? Seriously, doing something that idiotic would force the player to sit around and

oh.

Yeah, I guess OOT's day cycles were pretty neat.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I didn't like Twilight Princess, it didn't have the 'open' feel of Ocarina or the sort of wonder of discovery feeling. It was really linear and It didn't feel like a Zelda game. The dungeons were boring compared to OOT except maybe the water temple ones. Some of the controls where really frustrating ie. fishing I really couldn't figure out how to do it at first. Also the on horseback fighting with the pigmen.

Ocarina of Time just flowed better and felt like it was a world where you could run about and find and discover things for yourself, TP just felt like it was holding your hand and dragging you along the whole time.

I was 16 when I played Ocarina so it wasn't like I was that young and impressionable. I just think it was the superior game. I also prefer Wind Waker to TP.

A link to the past holds a special place in my heart and therefore can't be compared with anything because i will be biased. :p <3

Sep 14, 2009
i actually never beat OoT until roughly 5-6 years, i never had a copy so i had played it a few times for 20 minutes but not until then had i actually played through and beaten it, and from my stance it still isn't nostalgia, first off the major mapping of everything was much better compared to the TP version of it, and i didn't like the way they handled the grayish brown darker atmosphere of it, it just was so "bleh" to me, plus the wii controls were shit compared to using your average gamecube controller as usual so that didn't help...

so yeah, all that added up plus TP not being super memorable on any parts, made it not as good in my opinion

hell windwaker was more fun to me than it was in TP

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Ocarina of Time was a game-changer for the series (no pun intended), making the jump from 2D

to 3D

Every 3D Zelda game since has merely been a refinement gameplay-wise of the formula Ocarina of Time established.

Personally, Wind Waker is my favorite and the most memorable. It had a distinctive and eye-catching art style and one of the best (if not the best) soundtracks in the series. Moreover, I really liked how they deviated a bit from the standard "save Zelda and Hyrule" plot, culminating in what was ultimately a bittersweet ending:
Dooming Hyrule to a watery grave? Damn Nintendo, you got balls.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Golem239 said:

IMMA LET Y'ALL FINISH BUT MAJORA'S MASK WAS THE BEST ZELDA GAME OF ALL TIME
YES i was just thinking that

i love MM more then any Legend of Zelda

FC Groningen

Apr 1, 2009
Based on a personal opinion of course:
- OoT had better music
- OoT had a more epic atmosphere; Especially back then, the game was incredibly graphic. TP relied on a dark vs light atmosphere, where OoT already caught it better in the shadow temple.
- OoT was more challenging overall. I can't ever remember dying in TP or even getting close to that. Getting killed in a game isn't a bad thing for a game. It reminds the player of the challenge and all. If its too easy, the game can't feel epic anyway. The bossfights were laughable, especially since you could auto lock any boss; Especially Ganondorf in TP was a let down. the puzzles were easy or standard (pushing blocks on ice for example).
- Graphically, OoT was a much bigger graphic improvement. I found anything shadow related animated rather bland and simple. (Black pixels, or black walls with purple lines in it)
- Standard enemies were a lot harder in OoT and formed a decent challenge unlike in TP. The only guys that formed some challenge where the guys with full armor and claymores and mostly because they came in small groups or because of the lay-out of the room.
- Fighting has been way too simple in TP for my taste. OoT had a lot more standard moves and you had to rely on your shield a lot more. TP introduces optional fighting moves of which only a few are used on more than on a few occasions. Blocking attacks with your shield has been made way too easy in my opinion in TP.
- I didn't like the wolf link. Fighting with it is bland and arbitrary (depending on whether Midna feels out like helping or not) and most of the puzzles are simply based on wolf senses (either the nose or digging).
- I liked the populations in Oot better. Gorons are pretty much the same, but the interaction with the zora's, Gerudo's and sheikah was better in OoT. Now that I mention it, I can't remember any sheikah or gerudo's in TP. The Ooccoo especially seemed like they were thrown in for gameplay benefits.
- The dungeons in OoT felt more epic. I loved the shadow temple, the water temple (mostly for the challenge) and the desert temple for example. Also loved the side dungeons like the jail in Gerudo town, the ice cave before the water temple and the well where you get the magnifying glass. I must say, I really liked the idea of a city in the sky however and the temple was a challenge as well.
- The N64 controller was perfect for such games. It also made games like Goldeneye, Mario64, Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark a success. Some buttons on the Wii controler are really user unfriendly, which leads to never using those options.

Nitpicking:
- I had the feeling i had more camera control in OoT.
- Some area designs really bug me in TP. Who for example builds a temple on top of some palace? Lake Hylia with the huge stone suspension bridge with no pilars and of course the lake directly bordering a vast desert, only reachable by canon.
- I prefered the ocarina over howling to a stone.
- The thing in TP where you must jump in wolf form with the help of Midna seems very arbitrary. Why can we jump some ledges and some obvious ones not?
- Ilia in TP is really one of the worst and blandest love interests I've seen in a game.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
I never played Twilight Princess
(the net has enough creepy as hell fan art floating around)

I played and loved Ocarina of Time (had some seriously amazing music)
I played and liked Majora's Mask (was pretty cool concept..)
I played and loved Wind Waker (shock and awe right?)

Im not sure why OoT is so great....its got a lot of things that make it awesome as hell...

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
Saelune said:
While not the first Zelda, Im guessing most of us played OoT before the origional NES game. That alone makes it more memerable. Even if TP is better (havent played it though actually), it was not the first. I could make a sex comparison here, but Im sure you all could guess where Im going with that.
Well, unless you know what you're doing, I can see your first being not so memorable. Or memorable for all the wrong reasons, I guess >_>

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
PhiMed said:
Twilight Princess improved on everything, but didn't really change anything.

Ocarina of Time invented 3D Zelda. From scratch. It didn't exist before.

That's the difference.
For that matter, Twilight Princess recycles so many things from OoT that I at times felt I was simply playing an OoT remake rather than a game that can stand on its own. If I had to pick between one of the two GameCube Zelda games (yup, I got TP for the GC), I'd much rather play Wind Waker which at least had a theme and mood all of its own.