Why is Pokemon frowned apon?

Omletrice

Sep 15, 2009
I saw Pokemon as a pretty different RPG at the time, and the semi-doujin mangas were great.
The anime is horrid. :x

Whats the point of remaking the games again? I think I missed something there.

The_Chief

Jun 3, 2008
Sydi said:
Kukul said:
Becuase it's a childish, old game boy/cartoon fad that tends to draw in the most pathetic people that walk this planet?
Just because some of the people who like it are sad doesn't necessarily mean that it sucks.

And, yeah, it's partly because of the anime, partly because people don't think anything that was good when they were young can still be good, and partly because today's youth are too damn hip to think that anything popular can actually be good. Quit trying to be so indie and give something new a try.
[sup]in america[/sup]

OT: i like pok-e-man! lol jk but i dont get why everyone things is weird either. its a decent game, albeit the anime is terrible. and its fun!

raxer92

Aug 3, 2009
Double A said:
Every time I see Pokemon brought up in a discussion, people always say that it sucks. I've been gaming for 10 years now and I have to disagree. Sure there's a lot of rabid 8 year old fanboys, but when you break it down it's actually a very fun game series.
1: I hate the Anime series
2: I love the games but id rather not play them since i'd probably give up what little social life i have left in order to "catch them all o_o"
3: THE POKEMON ANIME SERIES DOES NOT REPRESENT JAPAN"S ANIME MARKET AS A WHOLE, (JUST A QUICK TIP OF ADVICE TO THE FOLKS OUT THEIR WHO DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT ANIME)

TrailerDrake

Aug 26, 2009
Right on man! I have been with Pokemon since its Gameboy Color days in America, and the series still has a place in my heart. Yeah, the anime sucks ass, but it was also a huge part of my childhood because I couldn't tell at the time. I think that the little kids need to shut up about pokemon because most of them have not even played the original, you know BEFORE the Running Shoes (believe it or not, there was a time before them kids). But over all, Pokemon is a great series and is highly underrated in the recent years.

shadow_pirate22

Aug 25, 2008
I still like pokemon because, unlike lots of other people, i dont see it as the fad, i dont see it alongside all the crappy spin-offs and sell-outs its done, i see it as what it is: a decent RPG with crazy-huge replay value.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Too many sequels.And the anime was garbage after the first season.

Other than that, I'm still a Pokemon fan at heart.

DaMan1500

Jul 10, 2009
I've never actually heard anyone say it sucks. In fact, it's probably one of the most popular video game series ever created. Maybe it's because each new game is basically the same as the last, or they're not "hardcore" enough.

theonlywildman

Mar 29, 2009
Thats weird, at my school for a while thats all everyone did was play pokemon.
And i am a senior in high school by the way

Omletrice

Sep 15, 2009
lordlee said:
Omletrice said:
and the semi-doujin mangas were great.
Which ones? If it was that old one you'd see in single issues, then it was Electric Tale of Pikachu.

There's also Pokemon Special, which is more famous but not as nostalgic. Badass though.

Or did you mean actual doujins? Because Pokemon ones terrify me.
Er? doujins doesn't necessarily composed of naughty stuff, even if they do sell very well.
I can't really remember, though. It was many years back. Some mangas are drawn locally in Taiwan, so they don't really appear anywhere elese, and those were for rent near 師大(NTNU).

Tanfastic

Aug 5, 2009
Pokemon is looked down upon because of what every nation except Japan has done to it: Made it a "kids" series. Also from what I understand the American anime and the Japanese one are entirely different and had some kind of translation error making it horribly kid like. Just what i've heard though.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
It suffers from the re-release syndrome. At first the franchise was still original, but now the series is in it's 12th season, 12th movie, and 10th game (more if you count all the different colour groups). People are just becoming disillusioned with the franchise

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
People think it's childish. Also, some people think that the gameplay never changes. But it has. And it's never going to change by a huge amount. Turn based combat doesn't leave a lot of options for change.