Why is the news so negative and grim?

TheMan2203

Sep 14, 2010
Hi, I'm currently writing my dissertation on the subject of the editorial choices made in modern day media.

Basically the gist of the paper will be investigating the reasons or causes for why when you look on the news on the Tv or listen to it on the radio or whatever you do to get your news, if you get any at all, its always such depressing fair.

There are all kinds of books and research material but I thought I'd see if anyone else found this interesting at all and I would quite like to know what a community like this, one which spends a fair amount of time on the internet, would have to say on the subject.

I don't really want to turn this into an argument about choices of broadcaster or anything divisive that will distract from the discussion but the conversation will go where it will.

So have at it Escapists, why is grim news the news of the day?

Capture: Sky's the limit >_> <_< :)

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
TopazFusion said:
Because if the news on TV was just stories like "Today a kitten was rescued from up a tree", the news would get very boring very quickly.
Pffft says you, now THAT is the stuff I worry about, sometimes kitties just can't make it down on their own.

OT: If you live in southern ontario, broadcasted from Toronto is Breakfast television. They show local news early in the day, and a lot of their stuff is about local food charities, events happening around toronto, weather, showing off different places like bakeries. That is the kind of news I enjoy, it is fun most of the time and serious when it has to be.

For all the important worldy news I just get that from the internet. I can't stand News Anchors.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
We like bad news. I guess it's just a human thing.

Also: obligatory Carlin.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Because the status quo is "nothing bad is happening". That's what we expect. Thus, it is only "news" if something deviates from that. Bad stuff deviates, whereas good stuff is more what we expect to happen.

Judgment90

Sep 4, 2012
There is a saying that goes, "If it bleeds, it leads." Pretty much if it isn't about violence, it's not gonna be interesting in most newscasters' eyes.