Why it is acceptable to criticize smokers, but not fat people?

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
I'm not exactly thin myself, but I do think being fat is your own damn fault, and you should grow a pair and start doing something about it if you don't want to be fat anymore.

The reason I don't try to be thinner is because I couldn't give two shits about how I look. I don't have any serious health problem, so I'm fine.

I have a classmate who had to become fat to survive, he had to take some kind of medicine that would make him bigger, and possibly give him diabities(which it did), but in turn would keep his lungs from bleeding. He's thin again thanks to dieting and excersise.

I guess, in short, fuck fat people who complain about being fat. If someone calls me a fat bastard I won't argue, but I won't do anything to change it either :)

guise709

Feb 2, 2010
Agree times a thousand I didn't even have to read op's post or the subsequent others. Im sure there will be the misinformed and broscience post which I won't have a part of especially since this thread is now 16 pages long. I will just say that I agree we need a hitler of fat people he shall be know as Fitler.

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
If you walk into a room with three hundred people eating cheeseburgers you get a funny smell.
If you walk into a room with three hundred people smoking you get choked and possibly cancer.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
I find both, frankly disgusting.
Every morning on the way to school, I see an obese woman who also smokes at the bus stop.
She even just puts out her cigarette on a nearby post and saves it for later.
Every morning I just want to shout out how much she is killing herself.
I can't bare to look at her, it's just repulsive in my eyes.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Judging by this thread most people think it's acceptable to criticise fat people. I would list all of the criticisms but it would be a very long post >_>

People have been making fun of fat people a lot longer than smokers. It's in mainstream media all the time.

It's socially acceptable don't kid yourselves that it isn't

TheLaofKazi said:
Sure, some anti-fat social pressure might make an overweight person feel kind of shitty and not eat fast food for a few days
Actually it would have the opposite impression and a lot of people would over eat from depression.

Maybe 'fat people' would be more inclined to go out and get exercise and eat healthy food if people accepted them as normal people and not freaks to be laughed at.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
I don't like smoking, but I don't hate smokers and neither would boycott them. It is expressely an american fault, that of fanaticizing any opposition: smoking is harmful to one's health... no, smoking is harmful to everyone... no, lynch the plague bearers!

We live amidst a storm of poisons injected in our bloodstream by any food, clothing, items, even furniture we buy and that are supposed to be "just below" the toxic threshold according to laws. It's like you're pushing up daisies already.

Going histerical over someone smoking a cigarette in a fit that death is coming at you via air, is just the scapegoat for what happens nevertheless for the aforementioned reasons in developed countries.

Olivia Faraday

Mar 30, 2011
The problem with being cruel to fat people -- whether or not they deserve it -- is that a lot of them have eating disorders. Their overeating is a defense mechanism seeking comfort in the positive chemicals our brains release when we eat so we don't all starve to death. Fat people are actually much more likely to lose weight when they don't feel shamed into it.

I used to be 230 pounds, and I'm 5'4". Definitely way, way over the obesity line. No matter how ashamed I was of my body and how badly I wanted to be thin and beautiful like my sister, all my diet and exercise attempts were doomed to failure. Everytime I gave in and pigged out, I hated myself even more, and the cycle just made all my future attempts even worse.

Then I managed to get to a state where I stopped caring what people thought of my weight. I surrounded myself with positivity, realized that there are a lot of men who like a little cushion for the pushing, that there are plenty of people who look past my weight and see that I'm intelligent and funny and generous.

You know what happened then?

When I stopped thinking about how ashamed I should be of my body, I started thinking about my health, instead. I noticed that I was always tired and sore and I haven't been able to read in bed without discomfort since sometime in the 90s. For the first time, I started to try and lose weight based on things that I wanted to change about myself. I didn't want to be thin, I wanted to be healthy.

Fast forward three years later, I'm 125 lbs post breast reduction, healthy, and happy. Every bit of weight aside from my surgery, which my doctor assured me was unloseable, I lost from healthy eating and light but regular exercise. I still get ridiculous enjoyment from junk food, but I've learned to be sure I always go for a walk a day, and I feel physically better when I save it for special ocassions instead of all the time.

I could never have made this change until I overcame the feeling of being ashamed, because my feelings of shame were what turned me to overeating. You're going to find that's true of a LOT of fat people, ESPECIALLY the super, super obese ones that so often get ridiculed the most.

You want fat people to stop being fat? Come up beside them and tell them it's okay and they're free to make whatever choice they want. Because it's only when they stop hating themselves that they'll stop sabotaging themselves.

ALSO, and let me just point this out -- the threshold for where people are considered fat is ridiculously low with a lot of people, where the theshold for where people are considered skinny is much, much too lenient. A lot of the women who get crap for being "fat" have a totally normal body weight and don't need to make any changes. That's an aside, but very true.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"And sure, eating disorders with psychological roots exist, but let's be honest: most fat people are fat because of poor food choices and because they lack the willpower and motivation to exercise regularly. They just don't like to be called out on it."

Amen!

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
JokerboyJordan said:
I find both, frankly disgusting.
Every morning on the way to school, I see an obese woman who also smokes at the bus stop.
She even just puts out her cigarette on a nearby post and saves it for later.
Every morning I just want to shout out how much she is killing herself.
I can't bare to look at her, it's just repulsive in my eyes.
This is the question that needs to be asked of a lot of this thread. Why do you have a problem with it? Surely it is the right of the individual to do as they please with their body. Maybe this woman is totally fine with the way she lives her life, she enjoys eating and smoking and sees no reason to change. Maybe she is ashamed that she smokes and is fat. Either way that doesn't give anyone the right to take the shit out of people for their choices in life.

And people are defending fat people by saying that some of it is involuantary and genetic. I say, don't defend people like that, don't avoid the issue and mumble about it not being their fault. Stand up and say that you don't give a shit that they're fat, that no-one should give a shit that they're fat and that frankly people should grow up and stop being so judgemental.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Olivia Faraday said:
The problem with being cruel to fat people -- whether or not they deserve it -- is that a lot of them have eating disorders. Their overeating is a defense mechanism seeking comfort in the positive chemicals our brains release when we eat so we don't all starve to death. Fat people are actually much more likely to lose weight when they don't feel shamed into it.

I used to be 230 pounds, and I'm 5'4". Definitely way, way over the obesity line. No matter how ashamed I was of my body and how badly I wanted to be thin and beautiful like my sister, all my diet and exercise attempts were doomed to failure. Everytime I gave in and pigged out, I hated myself even more, and the cycle just made all my future attempts even worse.

Then I managed to get to a state where I stopped caring what people thought of my weight. I surrounded myself with positivity, realized that there are a lot of men who like a little cushion for the pushing, that there are plenty of people who look past my weight and see that I'm intelligent and funny and generous.

You know what happened then?

When I stopped thinking about how ashamed I should be of my body, I started thinking about my health, instead. I noticed that I was always tired and sore and I haven't been able to read in bed without discomfort since sometime in the 90s. For the first time, I started to try and lose weight based on things that I wanted to change about myself. I didn't want to be thin, I wanted to be healthy.

Fast forward three years later, I'm 125 lbs post breast reduction, healthy, and happy. Every bit of weight aside from my surgery, which my doctor assured me was unloseable, I lost from healthy eating and light but regular exercise. I still get ridiculous enjoyment from junk food, but I've learned to be sure I always go for a walk a day, and I feel physically better when I save it for special ocassions instead of all the time.

I could never have made this change until I overcame the feeling of being ashamed, because my feelings of shame were what turned me to overeating. You're going to find that's true of a LOT of fat people, ESPECIALLY the super, super obese ones that so often get ridiculed the most.

You want fat people to stop being fat? Come up beside them and tell them it's okay and they're free to make whatever choice they want. Because it's only when they stop hating themselves that they'll stop sabotaging themselves.

ALSO, and let me just point this out -- the threshold for where people are considered fat is ridiculously low with a lot of people, where the theshold for where people are considered skinny is much, much too lenient. A lot of the women who get crap for being "fat" have a totally normal body weight and don't need to make any changes. That's an aside, but very true.
I seriously thank you for taking the words out of my mouth as I have such a throbbing headache I could not conjure this up. :p

OT: Sad thing is, it is socially acceptable to criticize fat people. I think it's generally horrible that so many people lack the decency as a human-fucking-being to not insult people for the way they look. :L
Everything else I was to say(pretty much) was said by this lovely Escapee. :p

Funny thing is, I don't criticize smokers. As long as they don't smoke in my face and/or in the event they are smoking next to me, smoke downwind instead, I have no issue.
As for another general statement on the issue of weight,

More cushion for the pushin.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
It's is acceptable to criticize anything and everything. Nothing gets immunity; not smokers, not fat people, not gays, not children, not precious ancient works of art, not religion, not science, not minorities...

...and especially not people who think criticism is an inherently immoral thing. And more so, people that find the appropriate application of a definition as offensive!

Any and every position, idea, opinion and flight of fancy *deserves* criticism. Otherwise it has no validity or value.

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
Brawndo said:
Total medical costs associated with treatment of preventable diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, stroke, and coronary heart disease are estimated to increase by $48-66 billion a year.
Are you a fucking simpleton! Diabetes is an autoimmune disease caused by genetics with a possible viral or bacterial catalyst. It is not in anyway preventable. You have the dodgy gene something causes an autoimmune response and then your immune system attacks your islets of Langerhans and you kiss your Beta Cells goodbye. How dare you accuse me of having a self inflicted disease, something I choose to have. You really need to research your facts before railing off your hate speech.

p.s. You talking about type 2? That's genetic. Obesity? That's genetic too, very much like race.

Dapz

Sep 2, 2009
Too many people seem to not be reading the first post before replying. This thread isn't saying that it should be socially acceptable to openly criticize a fat person, just that if it isn't then it shouldn't be ok to criticize a smoker either, as their problem is very similar - one that they got into due to lack of self-control, which is detrimental to their own health and to society. The way in which the latter applies to fat people is explained quite clearly in the first post yet still some people who haven't bothered reading it have gone on about how being around an overweight person while they're eating can't harm you like being around a smoker while they smoke can. While that is true, there are still some very clear ways in which it IS harmful to others.

Obviously there's a minority of fat people who's weight is involuntary, but people who simply choose taste over nutrition and lounging over exercise are entirely responsible for their predicament, and if it's ok for a smoker to be given a hard time, it should be ok for them to be given one as well.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
For all the people arguing that weight gain is only genetic and not their fault:

Why are we as a society getting heavier and heavier every decade? Why have obesity rates skyrocketed in the US and UK since the 1950s? Are you honestly arguing that we have EVOLVED (or devolved) genetically as a species in such a short time?

Orcboyphil said:
Brawndo said:
Total medical costs associated with treatment of preventable diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, stroke, and coronary heart disease are estimated to increase by $48-66 billion a year.
Are you a fucking simpleton! Diabetes is an autoimmune disease caused by genetics with a possible viral or bacterial catalyst. It is not in anyway preventable. You have the dodgy gene something causes an autoimmune response and then your immune system attacks your islets of Langerhans and you kiss your Beta Cells goodbye. How dare you accuse me of having a self inflicted disease, something I choose to have. You really need to research your facts before railing off your hate speech.

p.s. You talking about type 2? That's genetic. Obesity? That's genetic too, very much like race.
Yes, yes, my quoting medical science = "hate speech". Developing Type 2 diabetes is not only based on genetic factors, but also in large part on your diet and lifestyle.

"Excess weight and obesity lead to adverse metabolic effects on blood pressure, lipid levels and insulin resistance and thus pose a major risk for serious chronic diseases, including hypertension, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. In addition, obesity increases the risk of respiratory difficulties, chronic musculoskeletal problems, infertility, gallbladder disease, and certain forms of cancer."

Source: http://www.osip.com/products_diabetes_obesity

Brinnmilo

Mar 18, 2009
I am a fan of neither, though I would not berate either for their lifestyle choice. I would be more than happy to see them get help, in order to (potentially) increase their quality of life.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
DevilWithaHalo said:
It's is acceptable to criticize anything and everything. Nothing gets immunity; not smokers, not fat people, not gays, not children, not precious ancient works of art, not religion, not science, not minorities...

...and especially not people who think criticism is an inherently immoral thing. And more so, people that find the appropriate application of a definition as offensive!

Any and every position, idea, opinion and flight of fancy *deserves* criticism. Otherwise it has no validity or value.
I think there is a difference between criticism and discrimination. I support criticism, and so does society. That's why we warn smokers about the health risks, same for fat people. But discrimination is different, discrimination is where you actively treat someone differently because of the choices they have made. This is extends to looking down/up on/at them.

I believe the second one is the one that the OP is talking about.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
I criticize both, allot. Does this make me a bad person? Yes. Do I care? No.
As long as you're keeping your shut about stuff like this people will think it's taboo. Speak your mind, it's a free world. Freedom of speech applies to everyone, and if you're offended. Then stand up for yourself and be mature about it.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
generalvash said:
Odbarc said:
Fat people don't see their being fat as a choice because they won't do what's necessary to lose some weight. Plus fat is a subjective term.

Smokers are using poison and poison others around them without their consent. Fat people aren't stealing OUR food or anything.
Second hand smoke doesn't actually do anything cancerous like some want you to believe. All of those things stay in the smoker's lungs
Still smells horrible. Still tastes horrible.