Why it is acceptable to criticize smokers, but not fat people?

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
Brawndo said:
I don't know how it is the UK and Australia, but in the United States, smokers have developed a pariah-like status over the years. There are all kinds of anti-smoking campaigns, city ordinances not allowing smoking within X number of feet from a building, etc. But at the same time in the US, it is politically incorrect to criticize those who are overweight and obese. Some might argue: "Second hand smoke harms other people, but it's my choice to eat what I want and this doesn't harm other people."

However, it DOES harm other people, just not in the same way as second-hand smoke. According to a recent study, annual spending on obesity-related diseases is expected to rise by 13-16% in the US by 2030, leading to 2.6% increase in national health spending. Total medical costs associated with treatment of preventable diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, stroke, and coronary heart disease are estimated to increase by $48-66 billion a year.

That means as a fit person, my taxes will be higher and my insurance premiums will go up to fund increased health care costs associated with an increase in obesity. Also, children with fat parents are less likely to have access to healthy foods and are more likely to be overweight themselves. Other people ARE harmed by you being overweight.

But instead of a nationwide effort to promote healthy eating, there is a culture in the United States of being fat and proud of it. Facebook groups promoting concepts like "big women are beautiful" have millions of followers, and criticism of fat people is called "hate speech". Clearly some overweight people don't want to feel guilty about their behavior choices, so they try to make others feel guilty or embarrassed for criticizing them.

Let make this perfectly clear: being fat should not be a protected class like race, gender, sexual orientation, or ethnicity. Unlike those categories, being fat is almost always a choice. Only a small percentage of people are overweight because of a legitimate medical condition like hyperthyroidism. And sure, eating disorders with psychological roots exist, but let's be honest: most fat people are fat because of poor food choices and because they lack the willpower and motivation to exercise regularly. They just don't like to be called out on it.
First, let's us be clear: this is a troll post, intended specifically to rile up the fatties and the white knights. That is why this post exists.

Second, hello smoker. You're going to die. You're going to die and it's going to hurt. Your lungs will lose their strength and everything you love will go.

Food will become tasteless. You won't be able to run or dance or fuck because the more you smoke, the less breath you will have. And then, if you don't quit this stupid thing you have addicted yourself to, you will die. In agony. It's going to be the worst and most painful thing you will ever experience and it will be the last thing you experience: wasting agony.

And you did it to yourself. Some fatties can blame glandular conditions or genetics, you're going to die in agony and it's because of stupid choices you made.

Let's be honest: all smokers are still smokers because they lack the willpower and motivation to stop killing themselves and making the world around them smell like burning assmeat.

Oh, and for the record, fatties get the same status as smokers. Fat people are mocked on every sitcom, they receive the same issues and exclusions as smokers do on their insurance. (speaking of, you had best get some health insurance if you can, because let me tell you cancer treatments are crazy crazy expensive, son)
People come up to fatties on the street and tell them, to their faces, you are disgusting.
Fatties get called gross messes on every channel of every television.
Fatties get called subhuman by every page of every internet.
You think smokers have it worse than fat people?
Seriously, dude, lol.
People like you still think smoking makes you look cool.

Instead of a walking corpse.

That already smells like one.

rupyTN

MorObliviOut3Skyrim
Jul 20, 2010
Deviate said:
To me, fat people are actually a health risk and a major added stress in my day to day life. I'm a paramedic and my job is basically to help those who need help. Now, while I will give -anyone- the finest treatment and security while under my care, be they murderers, child molestors, fat people or smokers... there is a certain amount of mental strain whenever I deal with a patient.

Self-inflicted injuries, diseases or illnesses are... vexing. They're very annoying. Every time I have to go out and give medical care to someone who did these things to themselves, I might be too busy with that person to respond to a call where someone needs help -without- having caused the issue themselves.

Smokers are almost -never- an issue in that regard. When a smoker gets cancer or other lung-related troubles, they are almost never in need of an ambulance to transport them anywhere, or emergency medical aid. Fat people, though? I have long since lost track of how many times I've responded to calls where self-inflicted obesity is the primary cause of an illness, injury or whatever I'm responding to.

These are people I have to give aid to, then -very- often strain my back and risk my own health and safety to carry on a gurney or carry-chair into an ambulance (where they barely fit) down stairs and so on. It's painful, it's very hard and every single time it's a gamble with my own health.

Do these people deserve medical aid? Absofuckinglutely, just like everyone else out there. No one should ever be deprived of medical aid when needed. Do these people deserve to be 'protected' from the same treatment smokers and so on get? No. Not even remotely. Yes, there are some glandular and genetic causes for obesity, but those are extremely rare compared to the amount of horribly obese people there are out there. And even those cases -can be rectified through diet, activity and in some cases, medical treatment!-

Being overly obese IS a choice. Even in the cases of the people who have legitimate medical conditions that makes obesity much more likely. Do they deserve hatespeech or harassment? Absolutely not. Do they deserve to be PROTECTED from pressure and social endeavors to reduce obesity internationally? Hell no.

If you're fat... I'm going to come give you the best damn medical treatment I can give you when you inevitably have serious and acute medical issues as a result of it. You should, however, know that YOU are putting my health at risk with your choice, and you are also costing society massive amounts of money because you have -chosen- to be fat.

It's damn near impossible for us not to resent that fact, no matter how good we are at hiding that we do.

Excellent post, and good shot hitting the nail on the head.

Maybe just ignore the little muck raking trolls mate.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Where have you been the last decade? Have you ever seen shows like The Biggest Loser, Fat Camp, Super size vs Super skinny and a million other shows with the same message? The message media is sending out is "Fat people, you are disgusting and you need to lose weight". Back in the old days it was accepted to treat Jews or black people like they're less, now we treat fat people and smokers like they're less without seeing the connection.

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
You realize that some people are overweight because of a medical condition, not because they eat at McDonald's?

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
So I take it you were the person responsible for this billboard?

OT: Smoking is more of a choice than being obese. There's always that pesky thing called genetics.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Brawndo said:
huser said:
Compelling data, here's more.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/

The long and short of it, tobacco products as of 2000-2004 cost $193 Billion, with $96 billion in health care costs.

Second hand smoke costs 10 BILLION.

So while smoking might cost less than preventable diseases related to obesity, 10 BILLION dollars lost because complete bystanders had health issues sorta makes smokers villains even if we are simply using cold equations to quantify even a SINGLE person dying because some a-hole decides to go through a pack a day.

And of course the fallacy that every health related issue of diseases associated with obesity would disappear if everyone was super fit. Heart attacks, strokes, and diabetes would obviously still occur even among that hypothetical cohort. Much less prevalent? Sure.

And I normally go on the side of addressing increasing obesity, but smokers DO as a group suck for their poor health choices.
I absolutely agree smoking affects our health costs, but there is already a strong anti-smoking campaign underway in the United States. I don't see an equally big one telling Americans to stop drinking soda (which is the biggest source of sugar and empty calories) or something similar.
It's probably because Coca-Cola and similar companies are fucking huge. They have the lobbying power to stop anti-soda campaigns. So does McDonalds.

It may be up to people themselves rather than government action to stop obesity.

And by the way, tons of people make fun of fat people. I don't know how you got the idea of them being "aloof" or anything, but where I live I haven't met a single one with the pretense to being "protected" as a minority. Hell, most people who want free healthcare are the exercise nuts where I live.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
How many people are fat because of a medical condition? Because just from reading this thread it can be anywhere from 1%-50%. It'd be good to see some actual numbers rather than "Some/most people are fat because of a medical condition."

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Yopaz said:
Where have you been the last decade? Have you ever seen shows like The Biggest Loser, Fat Camp, Super size vs Super skinny and a million other shows with the same message? The message media is sending out is "Fat people, you are disgusting and you need to lose weight". Back in the old days it was accepted to treat Jews or black people like they're less, now we treat fat people and smokers like they're less without seeing the connection.
Being Jewish or Black isn't a choice though is it? Stop being sensationalist, you sound like fox news.

Obese people and smokers cost money and cause strain on the health system (well at least in countries with a COMMUNIST HEALTH SYSTEM!!!1!11! anyway). Being black or jewish isn't one day going to cause you to be in hospital taking up time and resources for someone who needs it.

Just for the record I smoke, so it doesn't sound like I'm having a go at smokers for taking up hospital space, I'm just pointing it out. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, besides I'm not sure I want to live past 70 anyway -_- Saying that, I pay my taxes, which WILL have gone to some obese person or smoker, so when it's my turn I'm having that damn bed.

shadyh8er said:
So I take it you were the person responsible for this billboard?

OT: Smoking is more of a choice than being obese. There's always that pesky thing called genetics.
As cruel as that poster is, I suppose you could look at it from the angle of talking to parents to say feed your child healthy foods, as being fat is a huge cause of bullying, which can lead to depression and comfort eating, which leads to being fatter, which leads to more bullying etc etc.

And again, the genetic thing is a huge bandwagon, undermining the small amount of the population that actually do have that problem. I live with a guy I've known for 8 years who was 19 stone at his peak, and in the last few months I've watched him go on a diet, where he still occasionally had unhealthy food or binge drinking nights, and he's now 14 stone, it's all about self control and not having that second deep fried buttered mcdonalds extra double chocolate cake.

It wasn't some magic diet course, all he did was eat the normal amount of food and variance most people eat as a 20 year old man, and bazinga, weight loss.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Yopaz said:
Are you seriously trying to draw parallels between The Biggest Loser and anti-smoking campaigns to Jim Crow laws and antisemitism?

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
GamerKT said:
It usually takes longer for someone to stop being fat than to stop smoking. Also, smoke stinks. The most a fat person could inconvenience another is by taking up extra space or food.
Fat people stink too flatulence perhaps :p? (sorry to be childish and I realise that i'm probably the 3rd or 4th person who's done this :p)

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Having to smell cigarette smoke is a greater offense than having to gaze upon obesity. That's why. An argument can also be made that second-hand smoke medically harmful, whereas there is no medical issues that results from another person's overweight stature.

Damien Granz

Apr 8, 2011
Second hand smokers directly ruins people's health around them, but I've never gotten fat from breathing air next to a fat person.

To clarify, in neither case do I give a shit you ruin your own health. If they invented a pill that messed up your lungs smoke free, I could care less.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
Food's necessary for survival. Some people just like to indulge a bit more.

There's really no reason to start smoking in the first place except for peer pressure/thinking it makes you look cool.

That's the way I look at it, and I'll even occasionally indulge in a cigar every once in a while.
Basically this.

Also like to add that I'm somewhat over weight due to a slow metabolism. I haven't gained/lost weight in years, despite my efforts, and I used to swim train. Not only that, my diet consists of rice mostly, being Chinese and all.

I've also heard some people's excuse that "Smoking calms them down" because of the nicotine, but that's bullshit. The addiction from smoking is what makes you irritable.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
I don't hear a lot of criticism for either smokers or fat people... of course I don't get out much.

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
I'm 6'0 so my weight should be about 200 pounds, I weigh 260. I work out at the gym 6 days a week, Hired an expensive personal trainer that I meet with once a week, go to a nutritionist bi- monthly, only drink water, eat three normal sized meals a day, and got a part-time job as a cart attendant (I'm in college), So I walk around and push things for 8 hours a day, four days a week... And I'm fat, If anyone gives me shit about I will seriously beat them to death because I work to damn hard to take shit from people.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Not one to read the mountains of text above, forgive me if I rehash any points.

My bottom line is smoking is totally optional to start, but being fat is not, whether that is because of time constraints for exercising, losing the genetic lottery or being too poor to afford healthy food.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol was someone watching Supersize Me?

can't say I'd be one to go around criticizing people publicly, tho I agree that being fat shouldn't be a protected class