Why it is acceptable to criticize smokers, but not fat people?

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Solution: Kill everyone who's overweight or a smoker! Then the world shall be perfect. Muaahahahaa!

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I'd like to know if you're mainly focusing on the "overweight" crowd or the "morbidly obese" crowd here. I have a waistline that's a bit farther out than it probably should be and that makes me, by definition, overweight. I doubt i'm in any kind of danger for dropping dead from clogged blood veins or whatever so i just think it's important to distinguish between the two and not use them around eachother like they're the same thing.

As for the "why" of it all i can't give a proper answer. I guess i'm one of those people who only criticize those who complain about their situation because if you're really that miserable about it that you feel the need to whine publically then it shouldn't be too much trouble to make up your mind to fix the problem.

Personally i don't complain to anyone, myself included, about my figure. My girlfriend or friends don't seem to mind so neither will i.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Alphonse_Lamperouge said:
the problem here, is that fat people don't hate themselves enough to change.

i propose a name-and-shame solution.

imagine at your local McDonald's, a wall with pictures of all the people that order ridiculous amounts of food. that is, more than any land dwelling mammal, let alone a human, should consume in a sitting. Im talking about a pounder (a quarter pounder is a large meal for a fully grown man) or double or even triple servings of a normal human meal.

that is the kind of world i want to live in. and don't give me that ''oh its a health/genetic thing'', its not, its gluttony. that, and a lack of willpower.

less than 1% percent of obese people can claim it stems from a medical condition. the rest of you, well it was probably all those cakes that you ate, now wasn't it?
Haha, best policy. Even better that shame, depression and such things 'cause people to become less active, suicidal or try to use addictions like alcholism or EATING to deal with the pain they feel.

It's people like you that should be shamed. You're nothing but a blemish on society, attacking others for not being how you want them to be. People like you are one of the reasons we have people comitting suicide or resorting to bad habbits to help them.

No ones gone to want to ditch a bad habbit when you make fun of them, or insult them. No, they're gone to go back to that habbit even harder.

Rasmus Emilsson

Jun 22, 2010
I think, do nothing. As the good MovieBob said, self-destructive people will kill themselves, therefore, do humanity a favor. Though, make smokers smoke in a box and fat people have their own planes, because seriously, sitting beside a smelly fat dude who takes up his AND my seat is NOT fun!

Alphonse_Lamperouge

Oct 19, 2011
Asuka Soryu said:
Alphonse_Lamperouge said:
the problem here, is that fat people don't hate themselves enough to change.

i propose a name-and-shame solution.

imagine at your local McDonald's, a wall with pictures of all the people that order ridiculous amounts of food. that is, more than any land dwelling mammal, let alone a human, should consume in a sitting. Im talking about a pounder (a quarter pounder is a large meal for a fully grown man) or double or even triple servings of a normal human meal.

that is the kind of world i want to live in. and don't give me that ''oh its a health/genetic thing'', its not, its gluttony. that, and a lack of willpower.

less than 1% percent of obese people can claim it stems from a medical condition. the rest of you, well it was probably all those cakes that you ate, now wasn't it?
Haha, best policy. Even better that shame, depression and such things 'cause people to become less active, suicidal or try to use addictions like alcholism or EATING to deal with the pain they feel.

It's people like you that should be shamed. You're nothing but a blemish on society, attacking others for not being how you want them to be. People like you are one of the reasons we have people comitting suicide or resorting to bad habbits to help them.

No ones gone to want to ditch a bad habbit when you make fun of them, or insult them. No, they're gone to go back to that habbit even harder.
you misunderstand, friend. your exactly how i want you to be. angry, fired up...admittedly still obese but at least its a start.

now just think, if you spent the same amount of time exercising each day as you spent writing your comment (which was scathing by the way, i had to rethink all of the morals that i live by) maybe you wouldn't be so overweight?

i imagine that is still probably too much effort for you, though. its way easier to complain about your life than to actually do something about it

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
When I was born, my mother told me I was already a bit chubby and as I grew, my belly kept growing even though I ate the same things and same amounts as the rest of my family and they're not like me at all. My grandparents are morbidly obese so I'm assuming that passed on in our genes to me, their medical problems, I do not enjoy it and I can't change it, so I have to live with it. I'm overweight, not obese, I'm perfectly fine and don't require anything to walk or carry my weight like what I see most obese people in public use. I haven't changed at all since I hit puberty, my gut has been the same way since, though of course I got bigger, I can hardly notice when I change or gain weight anymore.

I'm well aware of my weight, I didn't need it rubbed in my face all through my school life like what happened and being an overly sensitive child, that destroyed my self esteem. Now, me being 19, I clearly don't care about what anyone but myself thinks and I feel just fine in my skin. I have awesome friends, a wonderful boyfriend and a loving family and they don't judge me. Though there are things I wish I would've changed earlier, so I gotta deal with it now.

My parents smoke, they don't smoke in the house like they once did when I was 3 years old and it resulted in me getting bronchitis and ruining my way of breathing. I tried to make them change but they don't want to fix their addictions, I don't judge them on their choices either. There are things you'll try so hard to fix and it doesn't happen, so what are you left with but doing it more? Not everyone has the strength or resources to overcome what "plagues" them and those around them as you put it.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
With eighteen pages at the time of posting, I'm just going to respond with my opinion to the OP.

It is hypocritical to hate on smokers more than obese people. The difference is that it's far quicker and easier to pin all kinds of problems on smokers as a side effect of their habit.

Second hand smoke smells bad, can trigger asthma attacks in people with sensitive lungs, and most importantly it can cause health problems with children some day. SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! Or it may just be as simple as "You have to eat to survive, but smoking is optional and so much grosser."

But why? You can spot a fat person even when they're not eating, while you have to be close enough to a smoker to catch the smell or catch them in the act. Fat people require bigger and stronger things for them to put their weight on, which gets to be really expensive. On top of that, who's to say that their own special aroma isn't any better than 'fresh smoker' smell? Or that having a fat person strolling down the sidewalk in clothes too small for them is any easier on the eyes than someone with a white stick between their lips standing at a corner.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
sharpsheppard said:
DracoSuave said:
sharpsheppard said:
DracoSuave said:
The difference is very simple.

A fat person doesn't force bacon down my throat in order for them to eat. A smoker does force others to breath in his drug.

One is immediately self-contained, and the other inconveniences those around you.
the air is already shit from cars and factories smokes are not so bad in the big picture
If air pollution is bad, then adding another pollutant, and one containing a drug, is not a valid answer.

Nonsmokers don't want your drug. You don't get to choose if they take it in or not. Your decisions should only impact your lungs and no one else's.
I don't smoke never said i did so they are not my drug as you stated. I also never said that smoking is okay in public places i do belive that having seprate rooms is okay as long as the staff are okay with working in it only thing i said was the air is shit and is causing health problems on its own with and without smokes.

mabey read people posts before telling them that them off about things they have never said
"you" is often used as an impersonal pronoun in english. Often times when someone uses 'you' in a sentance, and they're clearly not refering to the reader, they mean the impersonal you.

Some languages have an elegant way of communicating this idea... 'on' is the correct pronoun in french. In english tho... you have you. And 'one should blah' is really awkward.

Doc Funky

May 22, 2010
bahumat42 said:
yeah because its absolutely unfounded for an obese person to have confidence issues stemming from bad self image.
Yeah, not sure where in my post I stated that "obese people don't have confidence issues stemming from bad self image".

Thank you for ignoring the numerous points I made and offering a reply that adds nothing to the discussion.

Now, so I don't pull the same thing, let's discuss why "lack of confidence" is another poor excuse. Well, heck, it's really quite simple: Confidence is something you make for yourself. I can pat Fats Poppa on the back and cheer him on all I want, but if all he chooses to do is fold his arms, sulk, and eat a cheesecake because he doesn't believe he can do it, then his failure is his own fault.

It's not some external force bearing down on him that dooms him to fail. It's Fats Poppa himself.

He chooses to undermine his own efforts. He chooses to fail. He chooses to remain obese.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
...Right. Perhaps anyone who can be a liability to society and cost it money should simply be asked to commit ritualistic suicide?

Those who are not beautiful enough to walk amongst us, those who are not sane enough to walk amongst us... If they cannot be like we want them to be, then to the Otherworld with them!

...Seriously. That is the level of calousness that reaks from parts of this thread.