Why Jim Sterling's Mario Kart 7 review is bullshit.

Balobo

New member
Nov 30, 2009
476
0
0
Kopikatsu said:
I point you back to Call of Duty breaking every sales record known to man. And it wasn't like the content in CoD:MW3 was a surprise. Everyone who bought it knew what to expect from it.
Mario Kart 7 will be selling a shitton as well. Point?
 

Kopikatsu

New member
May 27, 2010
4,924
0
0
Balobo said:
Kopikatsu said:
I point you back to Call of Duty breaking every sales record known to man. And it wasn't like the content in CoD:MW3 was a surprise. Everyone who bought it knew what to expect from it.
Mario Kart 7 will be selling a shitton as well. Point?
Opinion. It isn't out yet. Unless you have some sort of crystal ball that you'd like to share.

Somehow I doubt it'll sell that well regardless. The 3DS isn't especially popular. I would be extremely surprised if it sold even half as well as Mario Kart 6, if only because practically every household has like 2.3 Wiis or something ridiculous like that.
 

Ariseishirou

New member
Aug 24, 2010
443
0
0
Good heavens! A reviewer giving review scores based on his impressions of the games, instead of what the average internet consensus of the games might be?!

Burn him! Burn him!
 

Balobo

New member
Nov 30, 2009
476
0
0
Kopikatsu said:
Balobo said:
Kopikatsu said:
I point you back to Call of Duty breaking every sales record known to man. And it wasn't like the content in CoD:MW3 was a surprise. Everyone who bought it knew what to expect from it.
Mario Kart 7 will be selling a shitton as well. Point?
Opinion. It isn't out yet. Unless you have some sort of crystal ball that you'd like to share.

Somehow I doubt it'll sell that well regardless. The 3DS isn't especially popular. I would be extremely surprised if it sold even half as well as Mario Kart 6, if only because practically every household has like 2.3 Wiis or something ridiculously like that.
My crystal ball is the sales pattern of other Mario Kart games. That makes it not an opinion, but a realistic prediction.
 

Kopikatsu

New member
May 27, 2010
4,924
0
0
Balobo said:
Kopikatsu said:
Balobo said:
Kopikatsu said:
I point you back to Call of Duty breaking every sales record known to man. And it wasn't like the content in CoD:MW3 was a surprise. Everyone who bought it knew what to expect from it.
Mario Kart 7 will be selling a shitton as well. Point?
Opinion. It isn't out yet. Unless you have some sort of crystal ball that you'd like to share.

Somehow I doubt it'll sell that well regardless. The 3DS isn't especially popular. I would be extremely surprised if it sold even half as well as Mario Kart 6, if only because practically every household has like 2.3 Wiis or something ridiculously like that.
My crystal ball is the sales pattern of other Mario Kart games. That makes it not an opinion, but a realistic prediction.
Like I said, you have to take in all the data. The 3DS has sold 2.37 million units so far.

Even if every single 3DS owner buys Mario Kart 7, it won't sell even a tenth as well as Mario Kart 6 (28 million units). And Modern Warfare 3 has already beat Mario Kart 6.
 

Balobo

New member
Nov 30, 2009
476
0
0
Kopikatsu said:
Balobo said:
Kopikatsu said:
Balobo said:
Kopikatsu said:
I point you back to Call of Duty breaking every sales record known to man. And it wasn't like the content in CoD:MW3 was a surprise. Everyone who bought it knew what to expect from it.
Mario Kart 7 will be selling a shitton as well. Point?
Opinion. It isn't out yet. Unless you have some sort of crystal ball that you'd like to share.

Somehow I doubt it'll sell that well regardless. The 3DS isn't especially popular. I would be extremely surprised if it sold even half as well as Mario Kart 6, if only because practically every household has like 2.3 Wiis or something ridiculously like that.
My crystal ball is the sales pattern of other Mario Kart games. That makes it not an opinion, but a realistic prediction.
Like I said, you have to take in all the data. The 3DS has sold 2.37 million units so far.

Even if every single 3DS owner buys Mario Kart 7, it won't sell even a tenth as well as Mario Kart 6. And Modern Warfare 3 has already beat Mario Kart 6.
Actually it has sold around 6 million, according to data from September. Three months ago. Not to mention we have the holiday season ahead of us. This will sell a lot and will push units as well.
 

Fishyash

New member
Dec 27, 2010
1,154
0
0
The only mario kart games I haven't played are super mario kart, mario kart wii and mario kart 7.

Out of the other mario karts I played, double dash was by far the freshest one, despite having the annoying bits it deviated enough to make it my favourite mario kart.

Sticking to conventions is fine, sticking to bad ones is not. If it's nothing new, then I can already assume the following things I probably will dislike about the game,

Rubber banding, is retarded, but kinda necessary unfortunately due to

Items that are unnecessarily frustrating. The worst ones are lightning which make you spin out of control (which can make you fall off the harder courses) and flying blue shells (just... why?, regular blue shells were fine, you weren't EXCLUSIVELY being punished for being in first)

...really slow driving. It's kinda ridiculous that the 150cc of the game is still really slow paced for a seemingly crazy kart game

The cups are ridiculously easy despite the rubber banding, unless it comes down to controls not fitting too well with the level design (MK64 bowser's castle for example)

Adding new courses and items is fine, but can't you improve on the things that make the game less enjoyable?

I thought the saying was if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
 

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
1,100
0
0
Mutilator7 said:
Do not fix what isn't broken, the Mario Kart formula has always been a great one, and there isn't much to add or change without messing up what is great about it.

I feel like a lot of people give Nintendo a hard time for 'rehashing' their games by giving them sequels that don't deviate far from the rest of the titles in the series. But if they got the formula right the first time (Mario, zelda etc), why should they have to change it (a large amount)?

I'm not saying i dislike innovation in a game series, but there's always that line where if you go too far and change the game too much people will just bash it for simply using the series name despite not being similar to the rest of the games. While if it stays similar, people bash it for being a simple redo of the last game.

I think Nintendo has done a good job so far with this, Mario Kart 7 has enough new things in it to keep it fresh and exciting, but it's still Mario Kart. Why do you expect something other than Mario Kart from a Mario Kart title? It's something that all video game sequels deal with.
I would expect Mario Kart to fuck off and stop expecting me to spend £40 on what is pretty much the same game. If it was cheaper, then fine, make minor tweaks, but if they expect to charge full price for the same game over and over for what other games over on console would give as much cheaper DLC, they can go and fuck right off and be grateful they got a 5 out of 10
 

mattttherman3

New member
Dec 16, 2008
3,105
0
0
By this time next year the threads will be about assassins creed being the same every year. Nintendo is just too afraid to try different things, because things seem to backfire when they do, like Metroid Other M, there seems to be an even amount of people that get pissed when something is changed. My friend bought MW3 and sold it within a week, his reason, they changed too much. When by most accounts, nothing was changed. Opinions are opinions, I don't let bad reviews get to me.
 

maninahat

New member
Nov 8, 2007
4,397
0
0
All I hear is someone getting upset that someone didn't like their precious game.

I also get the picture that the OP has a severe lack of reading comprehesion. That can be the only explanation for why he doesn'tnotice that Jim specifically brings up Dynasty Warriors in the review, and the limits of the "ain't broke, don't fix" philosophy.
 

Thistlehart

New member
Nov 10, 2010
330
0
0
Someone may have already said this, but it bears repeating.

What you're complaining about (yes, complaining) is that Sterling's opinion doesn't mesh with your own, and you don't like the reasoning he uses to support his opinion.

You don't have to like his opinion. Deal with it.

Let go thy precious butt-hurt and move on with thine life.
 

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
1,364
0
0
...and the thread has devolved into a CoD vs Mario Kart shouting match because apparently nobody can dare think they'll like a game that's broken every sales record in the books or the next installment in a beloved franchise that isn't even out yet (in North America or Europe ;) ). Just because you agree or disagree with Jim does not make Mario Kart 7 objectively the greatest game ever or a steaming pile of shit. You have your opinion, just like the other guy has his, and Jim has his, too.

Do you think you will enjoy Mario Kart 7? Great! Go buy it and play it, and don't give a damn what others say if you enjoy it. As in, if they criticize it, let them be. The changes you see in the game that make it fun and fresh to you may not be enough for others to want it, and they are allowed to think that way. They don't have to play the game if they don't want to.

By the same token, if you don't think you will like the game, for whatever reason, you're free to criticize it, but not everyone has to hate it either. Obviously, if the game has seven installments that all sell well enough for Nintendo to make money enough to make more, they must be doing something right for a lot of people. Don't get all up in their face and demand they change their opinion and return the game NAO. It's not a crime for others to like something you don't.

Both my points are the same for MW3, and any game in general.

I hope this makes sense. Can't we all just play games and get along?
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,759
0
0
Balobo said:
My point is that Jim Sterling seems to be one of the odd few that are disappointed with this game. Mostly everybody else seems to be loving it up.
So what does that have to do with Modern Warfare 3?
 

Balobo

New member
Nov 30, 2009
476
0
0
Zachary Amaranth said:
Balobo said:
My point is that Jim Sterling seems to be one of the odd few that are disappointed with this game. Mostly everybody else seems to be loving it up.
So what does that have to do with Modern Warfare 3?
He took off points from Mario Kart for being stagnant, yet praised MW3. It's really not hard to understand, read a few pages back.
 

J21R

New member
Sep 18, 2010
28
0
0
Brawndo said:
WHO. CARES. How does that 5/10 score impact your gaming experience at all? I've liked plenty of movies and games that critics didn't.
This. OP, get it sorted.
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,759
0
0
Balobo said:
He took off points from Mario Kart for being stagnant, yet praised MW3. It's really not hard to understand, read a few pages back.
I addressed that. It's really not that hard to understand.

Unfortunately, that wasn't what I was talking about, and you should know it. You know, that whole "context" thing.

Oh, right, you're trying to distract from your whole "but my friends liked it!" Comment.
 

MBergman

New member
Oct 21, 2009
340
0
0
Kopikatsu said:
CkretAznMan said:
This guy has been known to be a dull troll and such. So there's no real reason why we should pay attention to him. Maybe if we do that, the Escapist will get rid of his show.
You should read one of Jim's reviews sometime. They're really quite good. Also..

5 out of 10 from Jim means that the game is average. Even people who aren't fans of the series will get some enjoyment out of it, but it's nothing genre defining/busting. From practically anyone else, a 6 is 'This game is absolute shit, pretend like it never existed.'

Edit: I actually looked through his review, and he doesn't honestly think that Mario Kart 7 deserves a 5 out of 10. He thinks that many people will 'forgive' it for not changing the formula very much, so he wants Nintendo to know that he forgives noone for nothing. Or something.
This guy here's doing it right!

He actually read the review instead of just throwing a fit over the score! In a perfect world there would be no need for scores, since it's the actual review that should give you an idea how of the game is and what it's pros, cons and whatnot.
 

McMarbles

New member
May 7, 2009
1,566
0
0
Pyramid Head said:
Isn't calling him out on his bullshit for calling a sequel stagnant and then stating that only a few token differences make a sequel worthwhile when most of the time they could just be released as level packs just as stupid? Yes there isn't always a need for innovation, but when it comes to sequels you should add more than just a few token changes that could easily have been DLC. But then again, it's Mario. It's gotten away with releasing DLC as a sequel before.
Why is it that, until now, nobody has pointed out that EVERY MARIO KART HAS BEEN ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SYSTEM? How the hell can you release it as a level pack when the original simply doesn't exist for the particular system?