Why Jim Sterling's Mario Kart 7 review is bullshit.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
the spud said:
leet_x1337 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was super serious when he called Dynasty Warriors the Citizen Kane of gaming.
He also wrote an article on Destructoid itself proclaiming Dynatsy Warriors to be the best game ever, so...if you were being sarcastic there, he probably wasn't.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I heard him say that Silent Hill 2 was his unironic favorite game ever, although I don't remember where I heard that.
You're thinking of Yahtzee, mate.

Jim's favorite game is Deadly Premonition.

Edit: He may have unironically said that Dynasty Warriors is his favorite series, however. I don't think he did, though.
No, Yahtzee's favorite game (according to that blurry list in that one episode) is Portal 1.

I really think I heard Jim say that in one of those group discussion articles they did a little while back with Yahgtzee, Jim, and Bob, but like I said, I could definitely be wrong.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Shade of Time said:
To be fair all I used to see Jim was as a massive satairistc troll if you will. The Dynasty Warriors video was still more along the same lines but in his newer, more calm format.
He was clearly MAD WITH POWER, man!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
How dare he have an opinion!

And how dare he give a game he enjoyed a better score than one that bored him!

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
How dare he have an opinion!

And how dare he give a game he enjoyed a better score than one that bored him!
Burn the witch at the stake?

Wonderful idea! You should run for President of somewhere.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Monxerot said:
Kopikatsu said:
the spud said:
leet_x1337 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was super serious when he called Dynasty Warriors the Citizen Kane of gaming.
He also wrote an article on Destructoid itself proclaiming Dynatsy Warriors to be the best game ever, so...if you were being sarcastic there, he probably wasn't.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I heard him say that Silent Hill 2 was his unironic favorite game ever, although I don't remember where I heard that.

Edit: He may have unironically said that Dynasty Warriors is his favorite series, however. I don't think he did, though.

lowcontentpostfiller.jpg

Fresh = NEW, ie DIFFERENT from the original
a reskin and some new noninnovative levels isnt exactly fresh, sure its staying true to the original which is usually a good thing
but to go all: OMG BUY THIS COMPLETELY "NEW" GAME over something like mario kart
then nigga u best be trollin or just stupid
http://www.destructoid.com/review-dynasty-warriors-7-xtreme-legends-216341.phtml

He gave Dynasty Warriors 7 a 6.0 with the descriptor 'Only fans of the series will like this more or less'. Argument is invalid.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
He's probably just not a big race game fan and it's hard for someone to enjoy or even notice the small changes in a genre that aren't familiar with.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
android88 said:
Why do you people care? A review is one persons opinion. If you like a game that much, then what someone else says should not effect you. I'm still going to get Mario Kart 7 and I'm probably going to enjoy it, it doesn't matter to me what Jim Sterling said or any reviewer for that matter. Just buy it if you want it and get on with your lives.
Is anyone else reminded by this of the sh**storm Yahtzee went through after the Brawl review? I already have the game preordered (free Mario hat that probably won't fit my head FTW) and I'm probably going to love it like I do everything with Mario. One or even a lot of "average" reviews are unlikely to cloud my opinion.

(Even though I live in Australia and so the reviews always come out before the games do...)

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
Question: Have you actually 'played' the game? You have given no indication that you have, thus any argument you have against Mr. Sterling and his god given right to be an individual with voice is invalid.

Just because he is a Critic does not mean you have to listen to him or read his work. All Critics do is give their own opinions and if you don't like it than for the love of the gods please don't ***** about something so stupid.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
http://www.destructoid.com/review-dynasty-warriors-7-xtreme-legends-216341.phtml

He gave Dynasty Warriors 7 a 6.0 with the descriptor 'Only fans of the series will like this more or less'. Argument is invalid.
Actually, he gave 7 an 8.0. He gave 7 Xtreme Legends, the game you linked to, a 6.0.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Jim Sterling has an opinion different from ours? He gave a game he didn't much like a 5 out of 10? Blasphemy! People aren't supposed to have different opinions! He is the most unprofessional reviewer out there, contaminating all his reviews with his icky bias. He must be fired and publicly shamed. Giving a game something different from the Metacritic average, the nerve...

EDIT: Okay, I have read more of this thread, and I think this video needs to be posted:

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Jennacide said:
itsmeyouidiot said:
Simply having new levels or any sort of new content more than a reskin is enough to keep any game series fresh.

>=| Nintendo is the lords of rehash, and people like you are how they get away with it.
How is that funny? If a game is fun, a different game that is essentially the same is also fun.

The leap to 3D in the N64/Playstation era seems to have bred a generation of spoiled gamers that are incapable of having fun with the same thing more than once. I genuinely pity you for being unable to enjoy a new game if it doesn't provide something new.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
CkretAznMan said:
This guy has been known to be a dull troll and such. So there's no real reason why we should pay attention to him. Maybe if we do that, the Escapist will get rid of his show.
And Yahtzee is a better one? At least Jim makes me laugh sometimes.

But yeah, this sounds dumb.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Monxerot said:
Kopikatsu said:
Monxerot said:
Kopikatsu said:
the spud said:
leet_x1337 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

lowcontentpostfiller.jpg

Fresh = NEW, ie DIFFERENT from the original
a reskin and some new noninnovative levels isnt exactly fresh, sure its staying true to the original which is usually a good thing
but to go all: OMG BUY THIS COMPLETELY "NEW" GAME over something like mario kart
then nigga u best be trollin or just stupid

And yet one will argue that it is the very problem behind some games
when the "made for fans" takes over a series, and thus, flamewar is born.

This is starting to remind me of the retarded monkeys with down syndrome over at Kotaku
because lets be honest, anyone who takes Kotaku seriously, deserves a castration
Aren't there only two ways to develop video games?

Way 1. Make each successive game more 'accessible' to a wider audience. This is the route most developers take because...why would they want to make the same or less money on a sequel? (Which is likely to have cost more and possibly taken more time).

Way 2. 'Cult Classic'. Sales take a back seat to vision and the developer continues with their series as it is, thereby securing their little niche fanclub.

The only game that I can think of that defied both of these is Dark Souls.

SirDenim

May 16, 2011
Well. Let's sit down and have story time.

-puts on reading glasses-

There once was a man who gave a video of his time to the internet. In this video he excaimed how scores like nines and tens are precious and should only be given tot those select games that amaze us. This man, was Jim Sterling. Jim's take on what scores should look like obviously didn't go over with everyone, as noone's opinion does, and people got angry at him.

-takes off reading glasses-

So you see kids? The grinch really did save Christmas.

Sep 30, 2010
Seriously what's your issue? Jim Sterling has his opinion and you have yours. If you honestly believe that Mario Kart 7 is a well crafted game why should you care? A review is just the opinion of someone who played the game. The only difference between his opinion and your is that his is on Destructiod. It's not like he is raising an army to steal all of the copies of Mario Kart so you can't have it or breaking into you house and smashing your Wii so how does this affect you?
[small]Unless deep down you think he may be right...[/small]

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
mikey7339 said:
Why are we giving some out of shape stoner (judging form his eyes) any more credence than someone on these forums? Why is this guy's opinion important?
Because he's got stuff...on the internet! And having stuff on the internet that lots of people look at makes what you say really important. (I'm super cereal about this guise) Plus he's getting paid to do this. I bet that means his opinion is super duper, ultra def-con 5 important!

OT: It's a mario kart game, it's in the same vein of infinite sequels that Nintendo likes to churn out so people have something to play when they've got four people together. I'd call a 5 out of 10 pretty fair. Though I have to say my favorite version of mario kart was this arcade version I found at a Dave & Buster's once. It's just not the same when you can't laugh maniacally and smash a big red button with your fist to obliterate someone with a blue shell.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Kopikatsu said:

Actually, he gave 7 an 8.0. He gave 7 Xtreme Legends, the game you linked to, a 6.0.
...That seems strange to me. Extreme Legends is essentially an expansion pack (That every Dynasty Warriors since like...3 has gotten).

Why would he review the game and the expansion separately? (It was my assumption that when he said 'Dynasty Warriors 7 Extreme Legends, he was reviewing the whole game plus the expansion. Guess not, though.)