Why Jim Sterling's Mario Kart 7 review is bullshit.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
http://www.destructoid.com/review-mario-kart-7-216484.phtml

Jim Sterling, once again showing what a hypocrite he is, gives Mario Kart 7 a 5 out of 10 for being a "stagnant, crawling, and indolent effort" despite being more lenient towards the Dynasty Warriors series, which is just as stagnant as this game, if not more.

But I kind of have a problem in general that the idea that being similar to previous games makes a game bad.

Let me ask you something, Jim. Does Mario Kart 7 have new tracks? Does it have new characters? Does it have various minor tweaks to the formula, such as gliding, underwater racing, and kart customization?

If you answered "yes" to any of these, you've invalidated your own argument. Simply having new levels or any sort of new content more than a reskin is enough to keep any game series fresh. If a sequel has the exact same gameplay and graphics engine as the previous game, but has new levels, then it is still just as fun as the previous entry but is new enough to warrant a purchase.

I'm not saying innovation is bad, I'm just saying that you shouldn't automatically assume that the absence of it is bad. You can have a sequel change the formula to keep things new and exciting, as long as it's true to the spirit of the original and still fun, but after a certain point, there's nowhere left to go. Mario Kart has reached the point where there really isn't much to improve, but that's not a bad thing at all. Don't act like you NEED to make a radical change with each new game to keep the series fun, that's just bullshit. You just need new levels, new characters, a graphics update, and a few other minor tweaks.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
*cough CoD haters cough*

Anyway, the Mario Kart series has always been simple fun, and this one looks and sounds just as good. I'd rather them not change it up too much, actually.

*cough again CoD haters cough again*

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
If there's nothing new except for a few tweaks then there's no point in buying the game. That would make the game useless.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was super serious when he called Dynasty Warriors the Citizen Kane of gaming.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was super serious when he called Dynasty Warriors the Citizen Kane of gaming.
He also wrote an article on Destructoid itself proclaiming Dynatsy Warriors to be the best game ever, so...if you were being sarcastic there, he probably wasn't.

The Shade of Time

Nov 22, 2008
To be fair all I used to see Jim was as a massive satairistc troll if you will. The Dynasty Warriors video was still more along the same lines but in his newer, more calm format.

We've both been here long enough to see changes happen. The dudes just a bit clumsy with his writing at points.

Alex Tom

Sep 25, 2011
*cough MORE COD HATERS cough*

no but really he gave the game a 5 out of 10, average not bad just like u described it. I think it even says on the site a 5 out of 10 is a 7 out of 10 on most other review sites.

*cough again MORE COD HATERS cough again*

Edit: After seeing the pic about the scores in MW3 and Mario Cart i withdraw my comment

the spud

May 2, 2011
Eh, I haven't played the game yet, and I like Jim, but he always did have very different tastes than me (at least in some areas, not all). Also, if there is truly nowhere left to innovate or improve, then why continue to make games at all (not that I am saying this is the case with mario kart)?

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011

EDIT: This comment was uncalled for, my bad.

Why are we giving some out of shape stoner (judging form his eyes) any more credence than someone on these forums? Why is this guy's opinion important?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I love it how people get so ballistic over the reviewer's game score.

If I enjoy it, I don't care if it got a minus seventeen out of ten, really.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
itsmeyouidiot said:
Simply having new levels or any sort of new content more than a reskin is enough to keep any game series fresh.

>=| Nintendo is the lords of rehash, and people like you are how they get away with it.

the spud

May 2, 2011
leet_x1337 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
He also wrote an article on Destructoid itself proclaiming Dynatsy Warriors to be the best game ever, so...if you were being sarcastic there, he probably wasn't.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I heard him say that Silent Hill 2 was his unironic favorite game ever, although I don't remember where I heard that.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
The last Mario Kart I truly enjoyed was on the N64. It had it's many faults but was fun.

However, Double Dash on the Gamecube was just awful and on the Wii incarnation was not much better (bikes, reeeeally?). If I remember, there was a DS version between the two, which was enjoyable.

For me, the series has gotten quite stale but I shall try out Mario Kart 7 before passing full judgement on it; but from a couple of reviews I have read it seems to be quite average.

I do agree with on the speed issue; damn too slow. Painful on Wii just plodding along and Double Dash had no dash to it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
the spud said:
leet_x1337 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I heard him say that Silent Hill 2 was his unironic favorite game ever, although I don't remember where I heard that.
You're thinking of Yahtzee, mate.

Jim's favorite game is Deadly Premonition.

Edit: He may have unironically said that Dynasty Warriors is his favorite series, however. I don't think he did, though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
leet_x1337 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yeah, I bet he was totally serious there, too.

But then, I have no sense of context, so....

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
This guy has been known to be a dull troll and such. So there's no real reason why we should pay attention to him. Maybe if we do that, the Escapist will get rid of his show.

android88

Jul 21, 2011
Why do you people care? A review is one persons opinion. If you like a game that much, then what someone else says should not effect you. I'm still going to get Mario Kart 7 and I'm probably going to enjoy it, it doesn't matter to me what Jim Sterling said or any reviewer for that matter. Just buy it if you want it and get on with your lives.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
CkretAznMan said:
This guy has been known to be a dull troll and such. So there's no real reason why we should pay attention to him. Maybe if we do that, the Escapist will get rid of his show.
You should read one of Jim's reviews sometime. They're really quite good. Also..

5 out of 10 from Jim means that the game is average. Even people who aren't fans of the series will get some enjoyment out of it, but it's nothing genre defining/busting. From practically anyone else, a 6 is 'This game is absolute shit, pretend like it never existed.'

Edit: I actually looked through his review, and he doesn't honestly think that Mario Kart 7 deserves a 5 out of 10. He thinks that many people will 'forgive' it for not changing the formula very much, so he wants Nintendo to know that he forgives noone for nothing. Or something.