Why Jim Sterling's Mario Kart 7 review is bullshit.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
BoredRolePlayer said:
Yep and you wonder why people get pissed about how games plots never change?
Okay, that's all I needed. You see, the stories to all of the DMC games to actually change and are different in a lot of different ways, the new one most notably is getting a lot of shit for changing too much, but when we turn every story into its most basic form it will always look nearly the god damn same as everything that came before it. It's a well know phenomenon. It's why everything relates to shakespear. It's also a god damn fallacy to say things haven't changed because the "plot points" are similar to older "plot points" when you remove all the things that make them unique.
Look I don't know what your deal is, you are defending a game I bought on launch and still play to this day (which is sad, defending a game I like). My only problem is the plot is not engaging at all for me, what is your problem with that? If I want plot in a pokemon universe I will read the Pokemon Adventures Manga, at least there people have more heavier roles.
My problem is how you communicated that. If the story isn't engaging for you, fine, say that. However, you just said that the stories are always the same, which judging from your response to me you know isn't true.
And if you have a problem with what I feel about a plot of a game I don't even hate, then get over yourself.
because how much you hate or don't hate it really changes what you've said and is something I could totally know going in. Also, one person caring about another persons opinion is how two people start a conversation, something that is a pretty big deal in a forum. Aka, I'm not full of myself for caring about your comments, so it's hard to get over myself.

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
Jim Sterling isn't worth the effort of being mad at. He's a twat who revels in the fact that he's a twat.

Best just to ignore his fat ass, and move on in your life. It's just another opinion of one loud-mouthed boulder of a man on the internet.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
marioman360 said:
Jim Sterling isn't worth the effort of being mad at. He's a twat who revels in the fact that he's a twat.

Best just to ignore his fat ass, and move on in your life. It's just another opinion of one loud-mouthed boulder of a man on the internet.
You should never speak the Lords name in vain. He's Jesus Christ, he's the Dark Knight, he is JIMQISITION; DRAGONBORN!

So speak for yourself. His content is the new best this site has to offer. Jim Sterling doesn't impregnant you. He simply looks at you and you shit out babies.

liveslowdiefast

Jan 17, 2010
well have any of you guys achully PLAYED MARIO KART 7, oh wait you haven't, cause it isn't out yet, so you can't call his review bullshit or judge it for being wrong can you!? anyway (desipite it being a fucking opinion which is uh... A PERSONAL OPINION) make your mind up when you play the gmae your self.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Balobo said:
Are we supposed to trust his reviews after he reviewed Bastion?
Or once he reviewed Deadly Premonition, basically. I still can't believe that the Escapist even keeps this guy on board, especially when he's first and foremost the posterboy of a rival site.

Kirbys

Sep 15, 2011
How can we trust him when he reviewed Kirby's Return To Dreamland and scored it a 10/10? I'm a fan and I would've rated it a 9/10.

(See how different opinions work people?)

Anyways I like the guy here and there when he makes sense and seeing on how long this has been going on his 8 out of 10 blog even makes more sense.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Toriver said:
I think you kinda missed the point of my post: obviously, if a reviewer was to give a low score to Skyrim, it would be for different reasons than Jim gave for Mario Kart 7: I said right in the post that many people would likely be in an uproar regardless of the reasoning behind it, no matter how sound it is, just because "OMG, IT'S SKYRIM!!!!", much like this guy is getting all defensive over Mario Kart. In fact, you kinda proved that point with this post by getting defensive about Skyrim without anybody having attacked it at all.
The comparison you were trying to make was somewhat flawed. Yes, people will flock to Skyrim and defend it. It has earned the right to that defence. Saying that 'People wouldn't be complaining as much if this were Skyrim' is a flawed argument as there is less to complain about in this field with Skyrim.
Skyrim is of course not exempt from any flaws, and there are a baffling number of them to be found. Bringing up the Skyrim/MK7 comparison however was rather pointless, as of course people wouldn't complain about a game that has fewer flaws in some area as much has one that has more flaws in that area.
Since this is the field of innovation that the basis of the main argument in the OP was, a more apt comparison would have been with CoD or any sports game, but we will notice that people do complain about the lack of changes.
The reason I quoted you was to point out how obvious it was that people would support Skyrim in an argument about innovation over Mario Kart, when Skyrim innovated (To an extent) and Mario cart remained basically the same.
In the end I think you were looking at it more as the low review score being prominent in the OP, whilst I was commenting on the reasons behind that low review score that the OP tried to argue against.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I think the whole scoring system is a joke, as many people have pointed out, and far to many 9's and 10's being handed out. I personally would give Mario Kart 7 a 5 out of 10. A 5 should indicate that the game is merely 'adequate', and that is my opinion of MK7, and my experience stems from playing for about 40 minutes at a 3DS display at my local shopping mall. There's just no evolution from Mario Kart DS, and I see no reason to justify buying 7.

Dumbfish1

Oct 17, 2008
itsmeyouidiot said:
Dumbfish1 said:
itsmeyouidiot said:
Jennacide said:
itsmeyouidiot said:
Simply having new levels or any sort of new content more than a reskin is enough to keep any game series fresh.
>=| Nintendo is the lords of rehash, and people like you are how they get away with it.
How is that funny? If a game is fun, a different game that is essentially the same is also fun.

The leap to 3D in the N64/Playstation era seems to have bred a generation of spoiled gamers that are incapable of having fun with the same thing more than once. I genuinely pity you for being unable to enjoy a new game if it doesn't provide something new.
If you don't mind playing the same game again and again because it's so fun, THEN PLAY THE FIRST ONE! Why would I want to fork out more money for another incredibly similar game, when I could get something different, and then have two different games, as opposed to one game but two slightly different copies of it?
The key word here is "slightly different." You don't need to radically overhaul the game with each new installment to keep the series fun, you just need minor tweaks and improvements. The NES Mega Man games are probably the best examples; while Mega Man 2 is by far the most cherished, Mega Man 5 and 6 are the best in my opinion, as they maintain the same basic formula but have also modified the gameplay enough to keep things interesting.

In fact, most of the games that people call "rehashes" are actually quite different from their predecessors, enough to keep the series interesting in my opinion. To me, people grossly exaggerate the amount of change needed with each new installment. You don't need to do a major change, just stick with several small ones.
...Or, you're just far more willing to put up with rehashes than most people.

I get that back in the 1990's the industry wasn't quite as large as it is today, but now we have so much more choice. If I already have a megaman game, and a sequel comes out that has a few minor tweaks and improvements, explain to me why would I pick that over something else, bearing in mind that I, like almost everyone else, don't have infinite money.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I would suppose that if you really loved the Megaman game that "more of the same, but even better" is exactly what you're looking for.

I don't think all those people who buy the annual FIFA/Madden/NHL/NBA updates have infinite money resources either, but they love the games so they get the sequels even though they're largely roster updates. =p

Anyway, point being, iterative design isn't a bad thing in and of itself, when you want your franchise to be recognised reinventing the wheel for the sake of reinventing the wheel can backfire horribly... well it can backfire even when making a new unrelated game, but that's another discussion.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Pedro The Hutt said:
Balobo said:
Or once he reviewed Deadly Premonition, basically. I still can't believe that the Escapist even keeps this guy on board, especially when he's first and foremost the posterboy of a rival site.
Jim Sterling....posterboy of Destructoid...I'm pretty sure the posterboy is Nero, Jim is just the head editor. Also, almost all of the major writers on Destructoid have done freelance writing work for the Escapist long before Jim's show (Jim included).

Small side note: I found Deadly Premonition to honestly be so bad it was funny. Which is honestly what Jim basically said about it. Never saw his Bastion review though.

Of course, it is not like a review can be wrong in the first place.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
internetzealot1 said:
Honestly, I think Jim is a crusader. He's going after MK7 to make a statement, I think.
He did. He said he did. He said he gave it a lower score than he otherwise would have because he knew that other reviews would just say 'Oh, it's Nintendo. That makes it okay. 10/10.'

Balobo said:
He said it was above average and recommended it. What more do you want from him?

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
He said it was above average and recommended it. What more do you want from him?
Very very very slightly above average. He gave a stagnant piece of shit (MW3) a 9.5. He's not a legitimate source for good reviews.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Balobo said:
Kopikatsu said:
Very very very slightly above average. He gave a stagnant piece of shit (MW3) a 9.5. He's not a legitimate source for good reviews.
20% above average is not 'Very very very slightly'. It's 20%.

Anyway, Modern Warfare 3 got a 9 because it defines the FPS genre. And it does. It got an additional .5 because it wasn't terrible.

The majority of MW3's score was from being genre defining.