Why Ladies Ruled the 2015 Summer Movie Season

shanto1138

Jun 11, 2015
Why Ladies Ruled the 2015 Summer Movie Season

Five movies that showcased the power of women in film this summer.

Read Full Article

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I think the title is a little off, since with the exception of Mad Max none of these movies really had a major splash with critics nor did they preform that well. That's not to say they where flops, but they where not smash hits either. Plus, didn't three of these have the named badass women be one or two members of a larger casts of typical action movie heroes? Given how this is an archetype which has been around since the 1970s in big budget cinema which is seeing about as much popularity now as it was 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 years ago, I don't really see what the fuss on social media about "more of the same" which has been around longer then most of those praising it have been alive stems from, and I honestly don't see the point in this article's title being so misleading. I mean I was expecting Mad Max and Trainwreak, but I would have thought the other three constitute making the cut given what was being talked about. There where probably more deserving movies.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
All i saw was "Why Furiosa Ruled the 2015 Summer Movie Season". Anything else was meh compared to it.
Except Antman, but Antman is more about Antman anyway, both Antmans i mean... Antman.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
I didn't see any of these movies.

My favorite movie of the year was either Jurassic World or Kingsmen, for entirely different reasons. I saw, but did not like very much, Age of Ultron (I thought it was hammy, overdone and with a meandering final fight plot - seriously disappointing).

Pretty much everything on that list I wasn't interested in seeing. Being a huge comic book fan you'd assume I'd be interested in Ant-Man, but once I got the thumbnail of the plot I gave it a miss.

Btw, out of that list, here are their relative rankings by US domestic gross.

Mission Impossible - #7
Ant Man - #9
Mad Max: Fury Road - #15
Trainwreck - #18
Man from U.N.C.L.E. - #35

Jurassic World, of course, was #1 followed by Age of Ultron (but not very closely, it made 200 million less).

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
shanto1138 said:
The Roadhouse remake should be interesting then, since a female is taking the lead male action role.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh...we're not going with its popular and PC, which generates buzz and positive publicity.

Okay then.

By the way, did any of those movies actually do well? I saw 2 of them, Antman and Mad Max(both males in the titles. Yeah, I see what you mean about women ruling them!) and both of those movies did...okay at the box office at best.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I never saw Mad Max, but from what I heard, that woman just owns the entire movie. And seeing as it's her face I see on most of the advertisements, I believe it. Even Honest Trailers pointed it out.

I am looking forward to seeing to seeing Hope as Wasp in the next movie, because Ant-Man did a really good job of showing why it should have been her in the suit.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I'm gonna be that Grammar Nazi, but the first line of this is "With 2014's anemic slate and underwhelming box-office, 2015 had its work cut out for it."

Doesn't having your work cut out for you mean something that is difficult to achieve? If 2014 was anemic and underwhelming, wouldn't 2015 have things easy and be the opposite of having its work cut out for it?

Ok, grammar dork mode complete.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Guys women can't rule the box office if there was only 1 movie. So we have to make up other examples. THATS HOW THIS WORKS

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Women ruled movies?
I thought it was just a few sexists who only care about the character's sex. You know, the people who say we MUST have more men/women in movies or we MUST like men/women-led movies for no other reason than the lead's sex. Kinda like this article, actually...

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
Clearly we need some kind of of MOVEMENT to prevent pro-female bias in movies! We can call it Moviegate! It's about ethics in movie journalism!

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Quantum Glass said:
What about Ex Machina?
I'll second that! Alicia Vikander was more of a positive female role model. Albeit, she was an android. I do not want to spoil the movie if you haven't seen it. Let me just say, Ava (Alicia Vikander's character) demonstrated how you overcome the "Patriarchy".

I thought Trainwreck was overrated. All they did was gender-flip a typical Judd Apatow romantic-comedy. I thought Rikki & The Flash mined the same emotional material, that Trainwreck glibly tried to do, with a lot more heart and better acting.

How about Spy? Melissa McCarthy hilarious comedy/action movie. Her character overcame self-doubt and low expectations from co-workers and superiors to become a better person at the end of the movie.

Forget the haters, I liked how Black Widow was fleshed out in Age of Ultron. I thought it was beautifully done and humane. Except...
She made Bruce Banner turned into The Hulk against his will. No doubt, if the genders were reversed, people would have been complaining that was a rape analogy.

Even though, Kingsmen and Jupiter Ascending may be considered Spring releases. Those were also movies that featured strong, positive female characters.

Even though they were animated, do you have no love for Inside Out? Joy and Sadness inside her head, or even for Riley herself?

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
008Zulu said:
shanto1138 said:
The Roadhouse remake should be interesting then, since a female is taking the lead male action role.
Seriously?

Not only did Roadhouse not require a remake, but to change the role from male to female in hopes of snagging those liberal dollars is sorta nauseating.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Maphysto said:
Clearly we need some kind of of MOVEMENT to prevent pro-female bias in movies! We can call it Moviegate! It's about ethics in movie journalism!
Oh ho ho HO you have no idea how I want that to happen and used agasint Screen Junkies, Moviebob, Cinemasins, and Red Letter Media.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Maphysto said:
Oh ho ho HO you have no idea how I want that to happen and used agasint Screen Junkies, Moviebob, Cinemasins, and Red Letter Media.
I can understand Bob being targeted (half his work includes political rants that are unwarrented) but why Red Letter Media?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, Mad Max is the only one that makes sense in that context. And The Avengers because of Black Widow of course. The rest was just grasping for straws. Overall I wouldn't say that this year was particularly good for female characters. Especially compared to 2014. There's nothing about those other movies that makes female characters stand out any more than in any other movie. They're just standard female characters.

Last year was actually better. Think about it: Lucy, Edge of Tomorrow, The Hunger Games (for those who actually care about that crappy franchise), Maleficent, Gone Girl (yeah, I know. But she was still a strong female character), Interstellar and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Probably more but these are the ones that immediately come to mind.

So there's a badass soldier in a mecha, a woman that can use the full potential of her brain (don't even start), a powerful sorceress, a manipulating psychopath, a scientist/astronaut, a spy and whatever The Hunger Games chick is. Some kind of revolutionary I guess.

cooldaddy3

Dec 3, 2009
Good to see that despite the amount of hidden and blatant gender politics in the articles on this site, the community and forums have kept their integrity. It has become quite laughable at how bad most of the gender politics articles are. Blatant propaganda and bias up the bum. Its a complete waste of time reading what these cretins write.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
This may be a case of confirmation bias. Reviewers are looking for something special in these and so find them and as such think that five examples somehow means "domination" when the numbers simply don't add up to that. A handful of examples does not a domination make.

We are at least getting better written female characters for once. So we are at least seeing an improvement in this area. But you definitely jumped the gun here. Might as well have made a picture of you on a carrier ship with a "Mission Accomplished" banner.

In a few years we'll be closer to that mark if these end up becoming more profitable than they were this year. They seem to do a lot better in movies that are still led by males or in comedies. For example, I'm surprised Spy wasn't referenced here since it was female led and clearly performed far better with movie goers than most of the other references made here.