Why Ladies Ruled the 2015 Summer Movie Season

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zontar said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Maphysto said:
Clearly we need some kind of of MOVEMENT to prevent pro-female bias in movies! We can call it Moviegate! It's about ethics in movie journalism!
Oh ho ho HO you have no idea how I want that to happen and used agasint Screen Junkies, Moviebob, Cinemasins, and Red Letter Media.
I can understand Bob being targeted (half his work includes political rants that are unwarrented) but why Red Letter Media?
Its not that Red Letter Media spouts politically correct/SJW nonsense. Its just that at times I feel all these internet movie reviewers are in bed with each other and their personally nerd bias. I mean Screen Junkies, Moviebob, Red Letter Media, Chris Stuckmann I think, they all said the same damn thing in their reviews of Fantastic Four 2015. Even word for word like mentioning the Roger Corman 90s moive still sucks but it was probably the best it could ever be as a Fantastic Four movie.

I mean shit I heard that already in from moviebob, no need to hear it again from Red Letter Media.

And don't get me started with their obvious bias for Marvel Superhero movies.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Zontar said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Maphysto said:
Clearly we need some kind of of MOVEMENT to prevent pro-female bias in movies! We can call it Moviegate! It's about ethics in movie journalism!
Oh ho ho HO you have no idea how I want that to happen and used agasint Screen Junkies, Moviebob, Cinemasins, and Red Letter Media.
I can understand Bob being targeted (half his work includes political rants that are unwarrented) but why Red Letter Media?
Its not that Red Letter Media spouts politically correct/SJW nonsense. Its just that at times I feel all these internet movie reviewers are in bed with each other and their personally nerd bias. I mean Screen Junkies, Moviebob, Red Letter Media, Chris Stuckmann I think, they all said the same damn thing in their reviews of Fantastic Four 2015. Even word for word like mentioning the Roger Corman 90s moive still sucks but it was probably the best it could ever be as a Fantastic Four movie.

I mean shit I heard that already in from moviebob, no need to hear it again from Red Letter Media.

I'm going to agree with Zontar here, I think you've mis-associated RLM with groups they simply aren't a part of.

Also, people saying a similar thing after watching the same movie isn't some amazingly rare coincidence. Perhaps you could cite some evidence here rather than making allusions to it?

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Zontar said:
I think the title is a little off, since with the exception of Mad Max none of these movies really had a major splash with critics nor did they preform that well.
Well, Mission Impossible 5 has already made over $650 million, it has a 7.7 score on IMDB, a 92% critic score and a 90% audience score on Rottentomatoes so I would say that it's both a critical and a financial hit.

Also, what about Pitch Perfect 2?
The movie that made 10x it's budget, in which all the main cast were women?
If you're picking movies where women were the supporting cast, like Ant Man, I thing PP2 deserves a spot on this list as well.
It even beat Mad Max at the box office in it's opening weekend.

Vanilla_Knight

Jun 25, 2015
MC1980 said:
What the fuck even is this shit.
Social-political pandering with a side of bias. Focusing on a gender "winning a movie year" being pretty childish, especially when a lot of these sorts of articles carry the notion that women haven't had many good characters in movies and shows over the years. Generally they focus on "women who have power" rather than "women characters who are well written" and that pisses off people with a brain.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Well, I mean, if we're talking in context:
Speaking of trends, there was one in particular that stood out (other than the healthy dose of remakes and reboots out there): the female presence. I'm not talking about the Pitch Perfects, which had its very own blockbuster sequel in May thank you very much, but in films typically geared towards males and fanboys.
...it could very well be that stuff like Inside Out or Pitch Perfect 2 were simply outside the purview of the article, and that the article itself may be the opinion on a subjective matter by the author.

But yeah, probably just good ol' propaganda. Why bother trying to see the author's point of view when strawmen and broad generalizations are so much easier.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Vanilla_Knight said:
MC1980 said:
What the fuck even is this shit.
Social-political pandering with a side of bias. Focusing on a gender "winning a movie year" being pretty childish, especially when a lot of these sorts of articles carry the notion that women haven't had many good characters in movies and shows over the years. Generally they focus on "women who have power" rather than "women characters who are well written" and that pisses off people with a brain.
I thought The Escapist through out all these kinds of people after the purge of Moviebob and Jim Sterling and added people who are Pro GamerGate.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MarsAtlas said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Its not that Red Letter Media spouts politically correct/skeleton nonsense. Its just that at times I feel all these internet movie reviewers are in bed with each other and their personally nerd bias. I mean Screen Junkies, Moviebob, Red Letter Media, Chris Stuckmann I think, they all said the same damn thing in their reviews of Fantastic Four 2015. Even word for word like mentioning the Roger Corman 90s moive still sucks but it was probably the best it could ever be as a Fantastic Four movie.

Could it be that experienced film buffs who have seen more movies by the age of forty than we'll see in our lifetime can develop and share opinions and insights about films and that they could have a greater knowledge of cinema to draw from when going into detail about the films they're reviewing because of this experience as well as general interest in cinema and the production of films as an artform? Could it be that all the people you're describing have prior extensive regarding "nerd interests" like comics books that informs how they view movies specifically adapted "nerd interest" media like comics and videogames?

No, its the children who are wrong.

MovieBob gave both Man of Steel and The Dark Knight Rises positive reviews upon release, which I know clashes with at least RLM's reviews of those films. Meanwhile Green Lantern was generally universally reviled by critics and even audiences because, well, you saw it, right?
I have been around since the time of DCAU. I have bought the most well known comic books of DC in recent years from Comixology.

(I am more a DC guy than Marvel and I am one of thos DC fans that does not just care about only Batman I like all the heroes)

I recognize that the latest Fantastic Four is a rather lackluster movie even though I have not seen it myself yet, but damn I feel like I have hearing a broken record after watching many reviews of it.

As for Green Lantern well i saw the first half of it (it was on TV passing) and to me it was really not the worse thing I have ever seen.

And moviebob did bash Man of Steel he put it as the #1 worst movie of 2013.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Silentpony said:
Oh...we're not going with its popular and PC, which generates buzz and positive publicity.

Okay then.

By the way, did any of those movies actually do well? I saw 2 of them, Antman and Mad Max(both males in the titles. Yeah, I see what you mean about women ruling them!) and both of those movies did...okay at the box office at best.
Only The Man from U.N.C.L.E. did poorly, making $99 million thus far against like a $70 million budget and basically starting dead in the water. At least Terminator Genisys eventually doubled its budget in revenue.

I'm pretty sure women weren't the main focus of these films anyway (except Fury Road from what I've heard). I mean sure the women in U.N.C.L.E. and Ant-Man were cool, but they weren't the main reasons people saw them.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
No, just no. I have no issue with the article and the clickbait title, in theory, but out of those movies, the only one that truly stands out is Furiosa. She gets so massive levels of badassery that outshines even the title character, which is not so uncommon in the Mad Mad franchise, but still.

Out of the other movies the other choices are nothing more than support characters. At least movies like Spy or Pitch Perfect were more honest on their ambitions of creating decent female characters, but these just sounds like they have a strong female character because they have a strong everything character anyway, so why not throw the girl audience a bone, right?

I guess I should be grateful they didn't include the lackluster Black Widow in it, because at some points even Scarlet Witch was handled better.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Evonisia said:
I'm pretty sure women weren't the main focus of these films anyway (except Fury Road from what I've heard). I mean sure the women in U.N.C.L.E. and Ant-Man were cool, but they weren't the main reasons people saw them.
Problem with Fury Road is that Furiosa wasn't always in charge(being a slave and all...) and although she had a good plan, it would have failed were it not for Mad Max, who she never planned on helping her.

Basically there would be no plot without Furiosa, but there would be no happy ending without Mad. He literally saves her life multiple times. I would argue its less of a feminist story and more of a gender equality story. She was a better shot, he was a better driver and brawler. They worked well together.

The End as far as I can tell. Furiosa gets just as many props as Max does, which is fucking amazing because they're both badasses.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
So there's a badass soldier in a mecha, a woman that can use the full potential of her brain (don't even start), a powerful sorceress, a manipulating psychopath, a scientist/astronaut, a spy and whatever The Hunger Games chick is. Some kind of revolutionary I guess.
Eh, I'd argue against Maleficent and Lucy personally. Maleficent everyone is either Chaotic Stupid or just a bunch of morons that can't ever be right in that movie if they aren't the titular character. And Lucy...just always seemed very similar in that she was only the "hero" because everyone else was worse(though I could be wrong, I've tried watching it three times and I've either fallen asleep or gotten too bored to actually continue watching). I just don't think you can seriously take them as actually heroic when everyone else has to be braindead for it to work the way it pans out...

OT:

Honestly I've only heard of two of these movies before reading this...So I think they may not have ruled as supremely as the article's saying. Especially considering Mission Impossible's nearly ALWAYS been carried by everyone not Tom Cruise(not to knock him, he's gotten better as he's gotten older, but he's never been a reason a movie is considered good, at least not until he hit his 40's and nobody he worked with was still working or refused to work with him), and Schumer is sickeningly predictable(like seriously, Trainwreck is just one of her dreadfully awful stand-up routines in movie form).

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MarsAtlas said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I recognize that the latest Fantastic Four is a rather lackluster movie even though I have not seen it myself yet, but damn I feel like I have hearing a broken record after watching many reviews of it.
And? Would you make the same complaint for Pixels or Jack & Jill?

And moviebob did bash Man of Steel he put it as the #1 worst movie of 2013.
"There are moments when Man of Steel looks and feels damn near perfect"

"Yes, I repeat, this is not a bad movie"

"The parts that work work like gangbusters"

Thats from his review. Then in the Worst of 2013 video...

"Were there objectively worse movies than Man of Steel this year? Yes, but none of them were more infuriating, none of them were more disappointing against their own unrealized potential"

"This is Superman, dammit. Thats supposed to mean something. Thats supposed to mean you try harder."

He makes it clear that its more disappointing than intolerably bad, and that its coming from such a talented team of people. I'm of the same mindset myself even though I couldn't disagree with him more on things he disliked, such as cynical Pa Kent.
1. Yes specifically for Pixles. And holy crap Moviebob felt like his 5 year old self was violated by Adam Sandler. (Did not affect me since my first console was the N64)

2. I did not find Man of Steel dissipointing at all. There were silly moments yes, but there were also good moments also. I mean Zod was such a great villain. (So great that its a shame they used him so early) and what he said about Man of Steel already still makes it all the more confusing that he place it on #1 and even then he still bashes the movie.

Not only that he is constantly comparing the upcoming DC movies as 90s comic books the movie. I doubt the new movies are going to tackle the worst of 90s comic books. I mean we can rest assured that they will not adapt Superman At Earth's End:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WpE1MScgT8

And that comic book makes me question why The Death of Superman comic is looked down upon.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Redryhno said:
Eh, I'd argue against Maleficent and Lucy personally. Maleficent everyone is either Chaotic Stupid or just a bunch of morons that can't ever be right in that movie if they aren't the titular character. And Lucy...just always seemed very similar in that she was only the "hero" because everyone else was worse(though I could be wrong, I've tried watching it three times and I've either fallen asleep or gotten too bored to actually continue watching). I just don't think you can seriously take them as actually heroic when everyone else has to be braindead for it to work the way it pans out...
They don't need to be particularly heroic to be better examples of female characters in movies. They're both powerful leading female characters in big blockbuster movies. The characters in this abysmal list can't hold a candle to them. It's just a bunch of standard run-of-the-mill female characters that have exited in the movies for decades. This article shouldn't exist because it reveals just the opposite of what it's trying to accomplish.