Why Little Pony?

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
I'm relatively new to the whole internet scene, and something's been bothering me: A lot of people seem to like My Little Pony. I've only seen a few of the early 80s episodes when I was younger, when everything was covered in syrup and song-and-dance numbers. I'm going to assume that the MLP stuff I've seen online is from some sort of new series, but I still have to wonder: Why is My little Pony so popular. I might check it out myself if only someone could tell me where I can find an episode and whether or not there are horrible corny musical bits. Can someone fill me in?

Top35

Apr 14, 2010
1. Go to youtube
2.type in my little pony: friendship is magic
3. ???
4. Profit!!!

But seriously the show is pretty awesome.

uc.asc

Jun 27, 2009
Jailbird408 said:
I'm relatively new to the whole internet scene, and something's been bothering me: A lot of people seem to like My Little Pony. I've only seen a few of the early 80s episodes when I was younger, when everything was covered in syrup and song-and-dance numbers. I'm going to assume that the MLP stuff I've seen online is from some sort of new series, but I still have to wonder: Why is My little Pony so popular. I might check it out myself if only someone could tell me where I can find an episode and whether or not there are horrible corny musical bits. Can someone fill me in?
episode links here http://www.urealms.com/showthread.php?505-Television-My-Little-Pony-Friendship-is-Magic
And yes, horribly corny musical bits.

As for why it's so popular, apparently there are reasons but I don't think they're actually needed any more. Give in to the uh, non-dark side.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Here's an image I made in MS Paint on the subject:

See that odd thing hanging in the top right corner of the site? That's a search bar. You'll be waist-deep in My Little Pony threads if you search for it. Read the answers there.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
godfist88 said:
perhaps this will answer your question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeJ6-gN0eB4
NO! The first two episodes sell the series short as captain planet meets the carebears! D:

This one is better starting point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDznA93l4wg&feature=related

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Here's an image I made in MS Paint on the subject:

See that odd thing hanging in the top left corner of the site? That's a search bar. You'll be waist-deep in My Little Pony threads if you search for it. Read the answers there.
Yes. Please, no more. Didn't they have to severely limit the number of pony threads on certain boards just because it gets this bad?

Flippincrazy

Jul 4, 2010
It is a show that epitomises controversy. There are those who argue that their possession of male anatomy compels them to hate it (here you will see the "it's made for eight year old girls argument), those who have watched and simply dismissed it as another children's cartoon (reasonable) and those who say that it is indeed a highly watchable and entertaing cartoon. I tend to fall on the latter part, I find it very entertaining - and yes, I am in possession of male anatomy. Watch it (first two episodes are rather dull, however) to find out how you find it.

And yes, there are a few corny musical bits. But they are somewhat limited and are mostly bearable. The characters and the likes are worth enduring such things, however (in my opinion).

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
For the most part, the community is actually pretty awesome, atleast from what I've seen.

There's also this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVCFV7jT9ho

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Despite what other people might try to tell you, liking My Little Pony does not make you less of a dude. It has great writing, great animation, and excellent character. And it makes me happy. Do you need another reason than that?

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
Sorry guys, but uc.asc turned me off of the show by warning me of the horrible corny musical bits. Sorry!

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Another pony thread, another excuse to link to the usergroup:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/MLP-Friendship-is-Magic

OT: Many threads have been made about this already. For my own part all I can say is that I like the show and the innocence of the whole thing is very refreshing to my jaded and cynical psyche. I suggest watching it yourself, though the first two episodes (a two-part pilot) are generally considered to not match the quality of the rest of the season.

Jailbird408 said:
Sorry guys, but uc.asc turned me off of the show by warning me of the horrible corny musical bits. Sorry!
There's at most one song per episode, and most don't even have that. And I, for one, actually rather like the music. Worst case, you can mute them. The music is never really integral to the plot.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
As I said in the last thread asking about it, it's nothing but the internet's latest fling. Get involved if you want, but you'll probably look back a couple years from now and feel silly for watching a show about magical ponies.

And before I get another three billion messages from people trying to convince me that it's more than just another internet fad. Just let me point out, that MLP fans seem crazy insecure in their fandom... So much so that a multitude of them decided to bombard me with attempts to justify their guilty pleasure last time I made a statement along these lines.

So let me say this. You want to have a guilty pleasure, that's fine. I have a few myself. I am not ashamed to admit I like Owl City and Clannad. But for the love of the God I don't believe in, please just hesitate if you're thinking you need to justify it to me. It's a guilty pleasure and a fad, and if you think you're going to convince me that it's something more, you're gravely mistaken. Be happy with your (currently incredibly popular) guilty pleasure, but don't say that's not what it is.

Aug 1, 2010
MLP is a slightly above average kids show, made out to be a highly above average kids show by the average people here at the Escapist.

I watched quite a few episodes and it just got more and more trite and kiddy as it went on.

Check it out, and if you enjoy it, watch it! But please, for the love of all things sacred, don't get completely sucked in. You know this has happened when:

A: You have an animated Pony avatar.

B: You start using words like "Brony" and "Anypony" in regular posts.

C: You viciously defend the show with massive amount of cutesy pictures.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Speaking of mancards, now why would I care if someone else thinks I'm not "manly"?

Course it's girly, doesn't make you not a man for watching it. It's cute and colorful, and as others have mentioned, it's rather nice to have when compared with all of the other serious business things floating around.

Top35

Apr 14, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
Speaking of mancards, now why would I care if someone else thinks I'm not "manly"?
Agreed, as long as you don't feel like any less of a man than who cares?

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
Kipohippo said:
As soon as you press play, you lose your mancard.
Would rather lose my mancard and meet lots of new people, be in an awesome community than being an arrogant arse who trolls and makes fun of what people like.