Why make a montage?

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
I was recently on youtube and was thinking : Why make a montage? I see no reason to make a montage.Pparticularly montages of a certain mainstream fps. There are literally thousands of videos EXACTLY like the one your making down to the title and I see no reason to add another. So please help me to understand why you would possibly want to make a montage.

And WTF captcha!?

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
to show your friends how super leet you are at CoD

whether that means the fish or the FPS I'll never know

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
WTF MAN U DISISN MAI QWIKSCOPIN AND EDITIN SKEELZ?
I GONNA FIRE INNACURATELY AT U BRO
MAI L33T PWNZING NOOBZ IS SO ORSUM MAYN

WAT U MEEN U NO LAIK MY MUZAK TASTES?

... Yeah, to summarise. I dunno.

I just felt like being obnoxious.

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
You only need to type one word of the captcha (the easier one to read) you can write anything for the other one.

OT: yeah i agree, but some people got a lot of time on their hands.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Because with every shot you show a little improvement, to show it all would take too long *Cough* Sorry.

They do seem to be all the same, but in a montage of "Best shots" everything's going to start running together at some point. The only differences are usually the game and the music.

Even then it always seems to be Let the bodies hit the floor (Which gets old fast).

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Because if done well, with good editing, they can be very entertaining:

One of the best edited frag video I've ever seen. (If you're wondering, the part with the floating planet and maps are not included in the game; he made those)

InfiniteJacuzzi

Mar 13, 2011
I nominate this. It's got some sick streaks, editing, and tracks. Yes, the flame shield has been raised. "OMG, Call of Duty. So mainstream. I'm gonna go listen to Wintersleep, you probably haven't heard of them."

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Don't you know a montage is the best way to get somthing extremely difficult done in a small amount of time :p eighties movie style!

SenorNemo

Mar 14, 2011
As above pointed out, montages work great for capturing a certain mood or idea and presenting it in an accessible, visually appealing way. You only have to watch something like The Battleship Potemkin for proof of that. Montage theory man! Eisenstein FTW.

Gameplay montages are different because the end goal is usually only to illustrate the 1337ness of the director. However, even game montages can be visually appealing, as some of the examples that've been posted here show.

Of course, as the OP seems to suggest, most montages exist only because the director wants to fap to his (or her) own perceived awesomeness. Most lack a sense of understanding of what makes a montage effective in the first place to the point where I am hesitant to even call some of them montages, after all.

But yes, there are good reasons to create montages, even the sort of gameplay montage that is so pervasive on youtube.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
InfiniteJacuzzi said:
I nominate this. It's got some sick streaks, editing, and tracks. Yes, the flame shield has been raised. "OMG, Call of Duty. So mainstream. I'm gonna go listen to Wintersleep, you probably haven't heard of them."

That was pretty damn good.

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
Because it was once a revolutionary film theory created in 1920s Soviet Russia and has become a staple part of cinema across the globe?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Couch Radish said:
Because everybody needs a montage.

Oh good. I was rolling down this thread and got worried when I didnt see that till your post.

Anyway, yeah, pretty much that^