Why modern fps aren't fun, or rather why some people feel they aren't.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
The last FPS I enjoyed was Metro 2033. Can't wait for Deus Ex...more for the RPG elements really.

If it has this "modern warfare" setting/ atmosphere....or if the story is flimsy and the characters cardboard...I won't play it.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I think that having a variety of enemies would be nice, or at least multiple ways to tackle a situation. Halo does this well, with each enemy having their own AI directives. Grunts will run if their leaders are killed. Taunting a Brute causes them to charge at you. Jackals will soak up damage as the enemies in the back shoot you. Skirmishers can jump around the map and snipe you from afar. And so on.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
Manji187 said:
The last FPS I enjoyed was Metro 2033. Can't wait for Deus Ex...more for the RPG elements really.

If it has this "modern warfare" setting/ atmosphere....or if the story is flimsy and the characters cardboard...I won't play it.
This is what im saying...games from the 1st person perspective can be awesome because there is more chances to do unique things. Metro rocked cause of the whole, gass mask, watch thing. all the little added bits made it magical

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
ultrachicken said:
I think that having a variety of enemies would be nice, or at least multiple ways to tackle a situation. Halo does this well, with each enemy having their own AI directives. Grunts will run if their leaders are killed. Taunting a Brute causes them to charge at you. Jackals will soak up damage as the enemies in the back shoot you. Skirmishers can jump around the map and snipe you from afar. And so on.
What do you mean by taunting a brute?
Shooting them lots?

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
For me it's about outwitting and beating human opponents. I can see why many people think that most FPS SP sucks but I tend to never play them anyway. I've spent an ungodly ammount fo time playing MW2 but only sat and played the campaign recently when my internet was down.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
ultrachicken said:
What do you mean by taunting a brute?
Shooting them lots?
Or put down a bubble shield, kill their friend, run away. These things can incite rage in them.

Karratti

Apr 27, 2010
The debate, at least as I've read it, isn't necessarily about the "fun-ness" of the FPS genre, but more about how quickly a game gets stale, or whether it simply turns into a long and drawn-out grinding mess as you strive to just unlock little decorations for your tags.

The Call of Duty series is simply built around selfish play. It encourages you to look out for just you and only you, and the reward system (both in-match and out-of-match) is designed to give you props for doing well individually. There is little to no incentive to help your teammates, and frankly, you're competing against them almost as much as you're competing against your opponents, because at the end of the match, whomever got the most kills tops the leaderboards.

The unfortunate trend that has been occurring since the massive release of the original Modern Warfare is the the genre has yet to truly break itself out of this paradigm. Most every FPS since 2007 has focused on this aspect of rewards, providing incentives almost solely to benefit the individual player.

There are some notable exceptions, however. The Battlefield series, especially in Bad Company, has focused more on team-based operations. Medicine, ammo, and vehicles help to encourage aspects of teamwork, especially when your team is trying to push towards objectives.

Killzone 2 and now 3 have some minor teamwork elements, but getting together to work as a team is not as easy as some other games. The series still suffers from self-enrichment quite a bit, and as a consequence of games like Call of Duty and Halo, players will not wait to be revived when fallen, but will instead respawn because there is no real consequence to it. (Especially when you know that another spawn point has just been captured nearby.)

MAG. This is a game that, while not necessarily the most-praised game ever, has truly created something remarkable in the FPS genre. MAG is a team-centered, focused game that encourages players to focus, not necessarily on their own stats, but on helping the team to win. This is one of the few games, especially on consoles, that promotes teamwork in an environment that was designed to do so. Large-scale, objective-focused infantry battles that almost REQUIRE teamwork to succeed.

If developers would stop simply cloning "what has been successful" and take some risks, perhaps we would start getting games that aren't "like Modern Warfare but..."

Grunge4Ever

Jan 24, 2010
Looking at all the varieties of comments I'd say most people play bad shooters because according to them they are good. Also have you ever noticed that most people who play shooters only play the campain once and replay it only for achievments? If a game, movie or book is good it should have a lot of replay value. If you claim that you like the game but don't ever play it after one completion then you just proved that you do not want to play it again. Does that justify a good game? I think not. Also I'm not talking about playing it all the time everyday, just on occasions.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
It all comes down to originality. The popularity of FPSs has waxed and waned somewhat as with all genres, but with this type of game it's so analogous to hip hop it's sickening. Every once in a while a new mechanic or visual style is introduced (cover system, pervasive grimy earth tones), and just about everyone in the genre jumps aboard the new bandwagon and generally throw away all that's been learned over the course of FPS history. Some of the copycats occasionally do it better than the original but a matter of months down the line everything congeals into blase boring crap with what seems to be little to no enthusiasm for creating something fun. Then it's back to Wacka Flacka Flame and Souljah Boy and all the other creatively devoid garbage out there.

In other words, all that really remains is the unadventurous, safe crap in between the moments of glory. Couple that with (EA's) dedication to dicking over the customer every time they have an excuse linked to sales, and you have a recipe for BORING. Some examples:

Split screen. Where'd it go? Your system has 4 controllers for a reason, yes? You would prefer multiplayer to be an actually social experience with real people in your real life, yes? Friends you can punch in the arm when they snipe at you while camping? I called EA about this after buying a game that had the 4-controller logo on it(a typo). Apparently they don't think people will buy the game themselves if they can play it at their friend's house. Morons.

10-second health regeneration. Though I'm sure it's every geek's fantasy to be Wolverine, it really just smacks of the growing trend of dumbing down games by making them easier.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
ShatterPalm said:
REALISM. DOES NOT. BELONG. IN. VIDEO GAMES.
Realism is a lie, there is only logic.
Through logic I gain understanding.
Through understanding I gain tactics.
Through tactics I gain skill.
Through skill, I will pwn the noobs.
The logic shall free me.

(I can haz cookie nao?)

Really what the OP is pointing out the lack of logic in controls. Players can sprint as fast as possible and instantly stop, then quickscope, then jump 4 feet in the air while being weighed down with about a hundred pounds of gear and without any form of effort (since when was jumping an instant thing? Try jumping without bending anything...go on, try it), AND not to mention flying around a corner and landing sideways, or worse, bellyflopping on concrete.
Remember those sports games like skating and snowboarding where if you landed wrong you crashed? That's what needs to happen. Bunnyhopping couldn't ever happen if they had to actually land and not just stop floating. Logic, not realism, needs to be the defining point of a game.

Example: Arma 2: Logically, if it's realistic then it's supposed to be realistic, because it wants to be.

UT3: It's not real, therefore what happens with all the famous frantic button mashing makes perfect logical sense.

What shatters the logic is games in the middle like the CoD series. Games where it looks realistic and in the single player it's supposed to feel realistic, but makes no sense when someone gets on multiplayer because there's UT tactics.

bobtheorc

Jun 12, 2009
cowsvils said:
I'm curious: do you think there's a way to fix the standard control scheme or do you just thing that the genre is doomed to repetitive mediocrity for all time?

I think that the control scheme continues being repeated because it works. Perhaps we just need to totally rethink questions of setting, pacing, and even your role, in order to make the genre work in the future.
I don't think there's anything intrinsicly wrong with the controls, developers spent enough time figuring out which system works best, maybe there will always be an element of similarity in the genre, maybe it would just be better if developers made fewer of them, gave us a chance to distinguish between what they are producing.

Owyn_Merrilin said:
I don't think the control scheme is the problem at all. Looking back at the time period where platformers flooded the market, the controls to those all followed a pretty standard scheme, as do most games within a given genre. I think the real problem is that modern shooters are all too samey, following in the footsteps first of Halo and now of Call of Duty 4, which was itself following in Halo's footsteps. Modern shooters all have tons of guns with very minor variations, mostly in terms of rate of fire and damage per bullet. Contrast that to the older shooters, in which you never knew what that crazy gun you just found was going to do. Sure they all had pistols, a shotgun, a melee weapon, and a rocket launcher, but that's four buttons out of the ten that were used for weapons at the time. The rest of the weapons were usually unique to the individual game, and there was an element of discovery there absent in today's "level up to get the best gun" system.

Beyond that, the games were very different; there was a much higher level of mobility, the levels were much more complex, the plots were different from today's games, if not necessarily more varied -- and for that matter, the plot was rarely more than an excuse, in the manual no less, to go out and get killing stuff. Modern shooters have become samey compared to other modern shooters, but the older shooters were in a completely different subgenre. Saying they're the same would be like saying people who like thrash metal but not death metal are just getting tired of how metal has been the same since the days of Metallica, but it seemed newer back in the 80's than it does now. The reality of that statement is that you're looking at two very different styles of music, which are completely understandable for an individual to like one and not the other. The same applies to 90's shooters and modern shooters.
The difference with the platformer genre is that it didn't really survive as a major genre for as long, shooters have been a major player in the market for much longer, other long standing genre's like rpg's have had to vary their gameplay much more in the interim.

You're right that personal preferance regarding pacing and the variety of weapons is important to ones enjoyment of a game. Obviously personal preferance is what it is, nobody can be right or wrong about it but i wonder if someone did make a true spiritual sequel, taking the old principals and updating them successfully, to the older games you're talking about would everybody really be happy with it. There'd be a contingent who would enjoy it for what it was, I'd hope I'd be amoung them but I can't help but feel some people would look at it and feel it was altogether too familiar territory for them to get into in quite the same way they did with the classic games that drew them into the genre.

head desk tricycle

Aug 14, 2010
I agree with whoever said that they're just different. Look at horror movies of the 30s, 50s, 70s, 90s, and horror movies now. They aren't the same at all. Likewise, look at Wolfenstein, Quake, Goldeneye, Halo, and FP Shooters now.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Irridium said:

May also be another factor in why most seem rather... boring.

Think I'm going to go play DOOM now.
You know the funny part about that? The one on the right is half-life 2, which is considered by many to be considered one of the best if not the best FPSs of all time.

Kecunk

Feb 8, 2011
I think the main problem people have is that until recently all the big name fps/3rdps games have just been sequles and most have them could have easily just been expansion packs instead of sequles.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
pyrosaw said:
FPS's aren't going to be that bland for that long. Brink's coming out, Bodycount, don't know about Bulletstorm, Tribes Ascend, Serious Sam 3. There will always be games like Crysis 2 and Homefront, that's just the genre. But I think developers are starting to realize that you don't need stark realism in today's market.
Crysis 2 is realism embodied?!?! Have you even seen it?

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Irridium said:

May also be another factor in why most seem rather... boring.

Think I'm going to go play DOOM now.
You know the funny part about that? The one on the right is half-life 2, which is considered by many to be considered one of the best if not the best FPSs of all time.
Because HL2 came out seven years ago, and games now are following the same formula?

psivamp

Jan 7, 2010
pyrosaw said:
FPS's aren't going to be that bland for that long. Brink's coming out, Bodycount, don't know about Bulletstorm, Tribes Ascend, Serious Sam 3. There will always be games like Crysis 2 and Homefront, that's just the genre. But I think developers are starting to realize that you don't need stark realism in today's market.
The few moments I saw of Brink at PAX were not encouraging -- but they were in some random dark spot and those look the same in every FPS...

OT: One of my gripes with modern FPS's is that they don't use much of the palette. Honestly, MoH is all tan, and they ripped half of their models straight from BF:BC2, but at least some of those maps overlooked water. Graphically, I think we need to back away from realism. Give me some more contrast, more color. Bulletstorm had some color, I'll give it that (it was also better than I thought and less gratingly juvenile than the demo made it seem).

Anyway, that's my take. I want to stop squinting at my screen from way too close trying to distinguish between two shades of tan to see where the enemy is.

Trivia: Burned out on CoD games. Got sick of MoH in less than a week. BF:BC2 I would probably get back into if I had a large enough community to always have a squad to join and work with.