Why oh why haven't game-creators done this yet?

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
Glongpre said:
You remind me of why they haven't made a Pokemon MMO. Holy crap, the money they could be making right now, it just bottles my mind. My head just exploded from trying to comprehend their thought processes.
DaWaffledude said:
Six words: Pokémon MMO.
There actually exists a fan-made [a href="http://pokemmo.eu/"]Pokemon MMO[/a] out there. It's not finished yet (some NPC scripts and minor items are missing) but it's pretty functional. Or it was, last time I played a few months ago.
I don't know if it's what you're looking for though; it's essentially just Pokemon Fire Red Multiplayer version. It'd be nice if Game Freak (or someone at Nintendo) actually developed a commercial Pokemon MMO that was tailor made for online play.

Lewg999

Jan 30, 2011
I'd like to see a stealth game done in the vein of Dishonored but with a co-operative part to it. Two players are allies , but they're playing through two separate missions simultaneously , the side objectives of one player helping the other towards their main objective and the same for player two. For example , one player may be robbing a bank whilst another infiltrates a mansion to assassinate somebody. Player one's side objective other than stealing the money could be to look in a safety deposit box to more quickly reveal the identity of the target to player two. Meanwhile Player two's side objective could be to find a blueprint hidden in the mansion to help player 2.

It'd have to be online only co-op and probably impossible to pull off but its a concept that I like

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Why hasn't someone made a 4X game using Homeworld's combat system? I mean, sure you'd have to reverse engineer it but for all intents and purposes it was PERFECT. Nothing has come close so far.

Why has the combat engine/mechanics of Fallout Tactics not been incorporated into any other game? It simply blows X-Com's out of the water.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
lacktheknack said:
TheRaider said:
A really fresh take on chess. It is such a popular turn based game there must be some ways to improve it while keeping to a turn based system.
http://www.chessvariants.org/

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/313/e/3/circle_chess_by_solidium-d32g3mn.png

OT: To this day, I cannot find a game where you play a ghost haunting a house.

I had actually started experimenting with a game that would let you do that, but then Neil Gaiman decided he'd make one. So now it's a race between me and him to claim the "I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST" crown (he'll win, I think).
There is Geist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geist_(video_game)
You get to possess people and objects and such. Mess with electronics and scaring guards. I remember getting stuck early on because I sucked at it so I can't tell you how good it is but you could look into it, not really haunting a house per se but you still get to act like a ghost, if that counts.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
daveman247 said:
I'm still waiting for my sci-fi sandbox game :(

We have had ones in nearly every time period now. Red faction was half way there but I want my flying cars damn it!
With any luck CDPRED's Cyberpunk will be the one to finally be a real sci-fi sandbox RPG.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Angelous Wang said:
daveman247 said:

We have had ones in nearly every time period now. Red faction was half way there but I want my flying cars damn it!
With any luck CDPRED's Cyberpunk will be the one to finally be a real sci-fi sandbox RPG.
I sure hope so :D

I wonder if its just technical limitations that stopped people this gen. A good sci fi sandbox should have as much going on in the sky/ vertically as on the ground.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
cloroxbb said:
Bad Jim said:
"Story" in racing games. UNNEEDED. I started playing Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) and as much as I love Criterion, I hate the fact that there is so much CRAP I have to watch before I can start playing. Even when it is skippable, I have to wait.
Why cant they make another decent need for speed? Underground was absolutely superb it was all about the racing and customisation and there was nothing that was unnecessary. It was genuinely one of the best games ever and all the sequels have been well....meh

This is why i like gran turismo. You simply pick a car and a track and race you can then tune up the cars and tinker with all the setting until it drives to your liking

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
shootthebandit said:
cloroxbb said:
Bad Jim said:
"Story" in racing games. UNNEEDED. I started playing Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010) and as much as I love Criterion, I hate the fact that there is so much CRAP I have to watch before I can start playing. Even when it is skippable, I have to wait.
Why cant they make another decent need for speed? Underground was absolutely superb it was all about the racing and customisation and there was nothing that was unnecessary. It was genuinely one of the best games ever and all the sequels have been well....meh

This is why i like gran turismo. You simply pick a car and a track and race you can then tune up the cars and tinker with all the setting until it drives to your liking
I found midnight club LA to be almost the new "underground" Lots of street racing and a crazy amount of car customization (although not down to the numbers like in GT or forza. Made you work for the car parts too.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
cloroxbb said:
I really wish Criterion were again FREE to make Burnout games. I enjoyed those much more than Need For Speed HP and Most Wanted. Too much fluff in those two.

I want a crash cam, and to be able to easily force others to crash. I still love playing Paradise. I just want MORE burnout.
More burnout and more destruction derby games :) Dirt showdown had a go and it was... ok. Flatout UC beats it by a mile though.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't seen an RPG with a setting analogous to the Bronze Age. Hell, even a game that's set in the real world at that time, just using Greek/Egyptian/Persian/Mesopotamian mythology to create a hyperbolic setting for a great RPG (BTW, I am aware of God of War, its just not what I'm looking for).

Damn, with the rich history and mythology of Bronze age Greece, Egypt, Mesopotamia, the Levant etc the world design would be a piece of cake, The Bronze Age Collapse would be a perfect framing event to the story, and, come on, who wouldn't want to see Spartans and Minotaurs fighting Egyptians and Anubites?

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Bad Jim said:
Cutscenes should be skippable, pauseable and rewindable. Just like movies. I always seem to get interruptted when in the middle of a cutscene and have to miss half of it.
Yes, this. No one ever wants to talk to me or call or anything until I am in the middle of a cutscene

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Proper customizable soundtracks in fighting games.

Let's be real, being able to rip music directly to the Xbox hard drive was ingenious for a game console, and it was only made better with the Xbox 360 and I would assume the PS3 (manual tweaking notwithstanding for either). Why is it that it took an extra 10 fucking years for anyone to think about what Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has done?!

For those unfamiliar, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 allows to take music that directly on your hard drive - whether it be the latest track by, say, Skrillex or even something totally off the wall like Sonic Boom [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLBLB4zL8XM] - and apply it to each stage accordingly. Wu-Tang Clan for dusk-painted streets of China? Go for it. Nero for the rain-slicked refinery in Norway? Hey, knock yourself out. Wanna have the the online menu theme from Dead or Alive 5 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9rVyKE9GiU] as the music for the main menu? Strange, but fuck it. Why not?

Seriously... it took 10 years to think of this?!

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
A western style rpg akin to skyrim but with a combat system more similar to dark souls. Various weapon types (swords, claymores, polearms, daggers, whathaveyou) can be matched with different fighting stances so that even using the exact same weapon, characters would still attack, move and behave differently. If anyone is familiar with how the swing system in dark souls works, in how different weapons have different strong, weak, dodge and roll sort of attacks, think that as its own option separate from what weapon you use (though still restricted to certain weapon classes). Basically, you can find and decide on a combat style to determine move set, and then decide a weapon that fits it best, or best for the way you play. Even better if some styles can work for multiple weapon types, though not any one for all.

Next, do something similar to the magic system, where as casting can be done different ways for different benefits or at different costs. A standard cast like a lighting throw compared to an evocation that marks a spot on the ground a second before it bursts forth. A kamehamaha sort of charged spell that can be released at the right moment used at the expense of mobility when casting compared to a blood right hand-slash that costs some health for an added punch of damage.

Now add that back into enemies you encounter, so that every time you see a bandit with a sword, you have to actually take a moment to assess the style of fighting they use a little when fighting. Not only would this remove a little predictability during the million cannonfodder march to the final boss, but it could add so much depth and character to those otherwise unexciting foes. And if you add in even a bare bones personality option to each of them (maybe with behavior tied to randomly generated options in things from hostility to obedience/group loyalty to intelligence/courage). Then add a few levels of leadership to some groups, so that bosses have commanders and all have minions. That way, with the small addition of options, every bandit encounter could be different. In one, the boss might have a trope of loyal minions who eagerly rush at his command at the drop of a hat, in another, the leader may not want to fight and will just let you go unless you attack first, though his commander may not be loyal enough to obey that order and may attack you on their own. In the final, the leader may give up when injured a little but his own men turn on him in a coup before they try to finish you off. And all while feeling unique characters in their own right. Add in a random name generator so that they are not always seen as "bandit", and suddenly you have a deep and engaging game that keeps you on your toes, keeps the combat fresh and with just enough unpredictability and still has the large, open world enjoyment and exploration.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
daveman247 said:
MrHide-Patten said:
davemanit247 said:

Well not to toot my own horn but... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=156122770
Sorry that we don't have a million dollars to spend on character animation though.

Can't think of any myself, because the annoying little bug of 'do we have the resources, time, and talent to pull this risky idea off?' Most answers point to 'no', but hey, we were told that we should just "make a simple iPhone game" instead on an open world game.
I was literally typing "I want the car chases from fifth element" to another user and then read this. Spooky o_O

Also the kickstarter for this game ended an hour before I saw it, double spooky and damn it o_O

So you're one of the eight people working on this? Looks like it could be really good! More than other dev's have tried. I'll keep an eye on it to see how it turns out.
Well Fifth Element was one of the big inspirations for this, along with a lot of the other classics like Blade Runner and such.

I'm one of the artists, textures and stuff for the cab mostly.

KR4U55

Mar 12, 2012
bak00777 said:
tippy2k2 said:
I am still baffled why sport games don't let you switch your jersey/uniform color in the middle of the match...

This would especially be useful in a game like FIFA, where the Season system matches you up against an opponent but you don't see your opponent or their club until AFTER the game begins. The game does very well with not fudging it up but sometimes when you get the white shirt with black stripes against the black shirt with white stripes, it would be incredibly handy if I could change the colors of my kit so I can tell who the hell is on my team.
I cannot even begin to tell you how many times i have been matched up with someone and my colors are too similar to theirs, such as mine is dark blue and theirs is black.

OT I would like a WRPG like Skyrim, but instead of Nordic or European Mythology it would be based off of Eastern Asian Mythology
Yes please! Bioware's Jade Empire is a fantastic game, with a pretty simple and kinda rough combat system, that was based on chinese mithology. I really want to see a WRPG based on eastern asian or maybe north african and middle east mythology.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
runic knight said:
There is a game that at least roughly matches what you asked for: Die By the Sword. It's ancient of course but the premise is that you have full control over your character's sword arm (the mouse controlled it, actually). When you engaged in combat, you had to physically direct the sword at the enemy with damage being a function of speed of the blade, distance, and location you hit. Defending yourself was challenging as you had to actually intercept a weapon with your own blade.

In the long run it didn't really work as well as they might have liked since the game featured the ability to program an attack and there were several cuts that more or less covered all the bases making it little more than a timing game.

VodkaKnight said:
I'd just like to be able to have more ways to do things, because in some games, you HAVE to pick locks, or HAVE to do this that and the other, regardless of playstyle.
There are a lot of reasons. The most important is simply that giving a player limitless options poses an interesting set of problems. First is simply allowing the player all the reasonable means of solving a problem is an enormous technical challenge that would cost untold man hours to implement. Second is simply that once you allow a wide range of solutions to a problem, it starts to be hard to figure out how to direct players to one end or another. The more control you give a player, the harder it is to give them a game to play in other words.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
EvilRoy said:
TheRaider said:
A really fresh take on chess. It is such a popular turn based game there must be some ways to improve it while keeping to a turn based system.
Shogi is a lot like chess, but with different move sets and the ability to place pieces that you previously took from your opponent back on the board in strategic positions (they act under your control of course) in lieu of moving a piece that turn. It adds another layer of complexity to an already intense game, and the different movement helps freshen the game up.

OT:
I would really like to play a game that takes a really schizophrenic approach to setting. Like I want to be traversing a Skyrim-esq wilderness and visiting my homie jarlin up a place like Whiterun and then walk for ten minutes into a Deus Ex like cyberpunk city, and head on over to a place out of Arcanum steampunking it all over the place. Sandbox environments that mix elements from all three giving us cyborg minotars and the like to fight against, and quests and classes/characters/species from each.
This sounds a like lot like the premise of Kino's journey, an anime where the protagonist goes from 'country' to 'country' each episode and they are all radically different settings.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
lacktheknack said:
TheRaider said:
http://www.chessvariants.org/

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/313/e/3/circle_chess_by_solidium-d32g3mn.png

OT: To this day, I cannot find a game where you play a ghost haunting a house.

I had actually started experimenting with a game that would let you do that, but then Neil Gaiman decided he'd make one. So now it's a race between me and him to claim the "I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST" crown (he'll win, I think).
The Novelist is such a game. It isn't out yet but it looks good.