Why Plants Vs. Zombies 2 Got Two Stars in China

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Why Plants Vs. Zombies 2 Got Two Stars in China

PopCap?s Plants Vs. Zombies brand is huge in China, but its rating in the App Store was really low when it launched.

Read Full Article

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
A very interesting article, indeed. Thanks for it, Mr. Tito.

I'm not too surprise that this is happening in China, but it is rather sad. However, the hope I get from this is that at least it would seem that many gamers in China can look past the bad ratings.

Makes me wonder how many stars WoW has, or had...

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
So.... what?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the meat of the argument. Is it that companies use Chinese people to manipulate the internet?

http://www.p4rgaming.com/ea-hires-100s-of-chinese-spammers-to-post-positively-about-simcitys-always-online-requirement/

Yeah, we already know companies do that. So does the Chinese government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFdr4gWsGog

And you end it by saying "So, you might be worried about ratings, but ultimately, it doesn't matter".

So why write an article about it?

I was hoping for something a little more meaty, some analysis or profound interesting point, not just a quick sound bite.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
It's both that Chinese massively manipulate ratings by using the equivalent of clickfarms, and that piracy is so wide-spread there that the legit products get downrated because the thieves either fear the competition, or miss "features" from the pirated copies like the cheat tables.

China = Weird.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
This happens everywhere. Just some companies haven't been caught yet. Any online rating system can be manipulated. It isn't necessarily individuals but can be bots.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Greg Tito said:
"In China, it is possible to buy ratings,"
That's a little more accurate. As if buying ratings and spamming fake reviews is something that only happens in China.