Why Silent Hill 2 Is Possibly The Greatest Game Ever Made

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Every year or two a new game is inevitably dubbed "the citizen Kane of gaming." Maybe it's Bioshock Infinite, or The Last of Us, or even Mass Effect. The term gets thrown around a lot by over eager critics who are desperate to prove that video games have "made it" as an art form. And yet, most of these people don't seem to realize that Citizen Kane isn't just a good movie. It's a movie that showcased what film can actually do. It flexed the creative muscles of an entire medium. I wondered, then, what games could showcase the potential of video games, and I finally settled on two titles. One was Dark Souls. The other was Silent Hill 2.

It's only recently that I realized how far ahead Silent Hill 2 was. It's not just that it was ahead of its time. It's that it's still decades ahead. And here's why. While Mass Effect ushered in the concept of player choice in games, Silent Hill had already perfected it. Bioware, Telltale, and Quantic Dream have all focused their entire model around player choice, and yet they all fail. They advertise your decisions in the most heavy handed, obvious way possible, and yet simultaneously fail to make your decisions matter. Silent Hill 2 allowed the players behavior to dictate the ending of the game, and yet it did so subtly. Small behavioral patterns, such as gazing at a knife too often, or failing to heal your wounded character, impacted your characters mental state. Some have claimed that it is unfair that most players didn't realize that their decisions mattered, and yet that's why it was so perfect. It allowed for true, organic play through of a game. In a way, the moment a player realizes they have choice is the very moment their play through ceases to be organic. More impressively, every ending is quite different, and manages to say something about both James and the player. Silent Hill mastered player choice before most people even realized it was a thing.

Silent Hill 2 also mastered something that most modern developers are only just figuring out. How to tie together the game play and the plot, so that they are inseparable entities. You can't have one without the other. Dark Souls mastered this as well. The game mechanics reflect your characters lack of combat training. The actual physical environments comment on the mental state of the protagonist, feeding information to the player without need of dialogue or exposition. The plot is subtle, and yet the player can piece together the narrative if they pay attention. Every single action has a symbolic meaning. Something as trivial trivial as killing a monster has meaning, since it represents James's treatment of his wife, and possibly women in general.

It also dealt with themes that modern games would never touch. Sexual abuse of a child, murder, depression, self loathing, sexual depravity and torture, and the dark, secret desires of our hearts. It's a deep, introspective study of the self, unlike anything seen in gaming. For that reason I would argue that gaming has had its Citizen Kane moment for a long, long time.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Well yes, most games don't really do what Silent Hill 2 did (aside from Dark Souls) which is the whole subtle narrative and perfect atmosphere. Mostly, I think, because it's very difficult to achieve.

Fox12 said:
For thesenreasonsni wouldnargue that gaming has had its Fitizen Kane moment for a long, long time.
Um, were you lightly drunk?

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
GrumbleGrump said:
Well yes, most games don't really do what Silent Hill 2 did (aside from Dark Souls) which is the whole subtle narrative and perfect atmosphere. Mostly, I think, because it's very difficult to achieve.

Fox12 said:
For thesenreasonsni wouldnargue that gaming has had its Fitizen Kane moment for a long, long time.
Um, were you lightly drunk?
Don't mix ambien and vodka

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Fox12 said:
It also dealt with themes that modern games would never touch. Sexual abuse of a child, murder, depression, self loathing, sexual depravity and torture, and the dark, secret desires of our hearts. It's a deep, introspective study of the self, unlike anything seen in gaming. For that reason I would argue that gaming has had its Citizen Kane moment for a long, long time.
Silent Hill 2 is very avant-garde which is what makes it so intriguing and captivating. It deals with 'taboo' subject matter that isn't really explored in popular culture. What makes it avant-garde is that it doesn't fall into conventional storytelling techniques or character types/motivations or even narrative structure. Leaving everything essentially up in the air.

I think most of all SH2(atleast James' story) is one of sexual frustration. To make such a subject that would make many people uncomfortable a central theme in a popular franchise is daring and once again..avant-garde. :p In the game it's obvious that James isn't a 'bad' person but rather just a man whose desires got the best of him. He couldn't see the wife he loved sick and dying and frustrated by his grief and suppressed physical desires he talked her into euthanasia(or maybe even went one step further).

People can do really stupid things intoxicated by love and sexual needs(that doesn't make them 'depraved' just human) and the game really communicates this message very strongly. I mean, James goes to a town that is basically a physcial manifestation of his own guilt-struck ego and the need to punish himself for what he did and felt. Sex has become an association of pain and we see that in the game as faceless sexy nurses wrapped in blankets of flesh or a grotesque pyramid head raping a mannequin in front of James' eyes. Worst of all James meets a highly eroticized lookalike of his dead wife that gets murdered in front of his eyes more times than one driving further the incompetence James must have felt for not being able to protect her. Maria exists for no other purpose than further torturing James with emotional guilt.

James is basically a lonely, broken man brought down by his own feelings who has come to Silent Hill to die. Silent Hill 2 shows the despair of sex and death in its rawest and most purest form. I think this is what makes the game so memorable even 14 years on.

Not coincidentially SH2 was released around the same time as the first postmodern videogame ever created: Metal Gear Solid 2. Both titles are very experimental. Unfortunately things have changed. Today Konami makes pachinko machines out of Silent Hill 2.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
stroopwafel said:
Silent Hill 2 shows the despair of sex and death in its rawest and most purest form. I think this is what makes the game so memorable even 14 years on.
Sounds more like Nymphomaniac Volume 1 & 2 (not for those with a weak stomach), both on Netflix streaming than Citizen Kane. (Little like "Shame" which is not). I've heard great things about Silent Hill 2 but never played. Is the gameplay such that it is not only worth recalling 14 years on, but playing too?

Citizen Kane, to me, is more notable in that it is still a very watchable film, even today. As for "showing what film can do", they've been doing that since the silent film age. As an experience, you know you are in "appreciation" mode rather than just being entertained if you do try to sit through one of the silent films.

But Kane? Feels like it could have been released this year.

First time I really fell in love with Video games was Ultima 3. Turn based RPG with grinding/leveling. I would not play it today. Oldest game I could pick up and play as if it were released recently? The first Halo for Xbox.

EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-HD-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SXAIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452427184&sr=8-3&keywords=silent+hill+2 Interesting

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Gorfias said:
stroopwafel said:
Silent Hill 2 shows the despair of sex and death in its rawest and most purest form. I think this is what makes the game so memorable even 14 years on.
Sounds more like Nymphomaniac Volume 1 & 2 (not for those with a weak stomach), both on Netflix streaming than Citizen Kane. (Little like "Shame" which is not). I've heard great things about Silent Hill 2 but never played. Is the gameplay such that it is not only worth recalling 14 years on, but playing too?
The storytelling in the game itself is extremely subtle and rarely becomes explicit. So it's probably not like Nymphomaniac(which I haven't seen). Things are more implied rather than told, which I think is a distinctly Japanese fashion as the Souls games and Bloodborne maintain a similair method. Espescially subtlety in storytelling which is something I love but unfortunately not something you see often.

Anyways, I recently replayed Silent Hill 2 and I'd say it defintely holds up quite well. It's nothing special in the gameplay department but it still controls quite well. It's kind of stuck in that transition period between pre-rendered and full 3D similarly like Code Veronica was. The atmosphere and story though remain exceptional and few other games have come close since.

Also either play the original on PS2/Xbox or PC and not the HD version which is garbage. Apparently Konami lost the source code to SH2 and had some external company make the HD version. It's a buggy, broken mess that even lacks the grainy filter of the original which was a deliberate design choice to enhance the atmophere.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
As a person running around through the internet with Silent Hill avatars I have to say: Maybe SH2 is being considered the best of the best of videogame storytelling not necessarily because it deserves that spot, but because it has been called the best so many times that we have completely lost the ability to consider anything else any more.
I say this because while the method of delivering its story is fantastic and one prime example of how to use this interactive medium of ours, delivery isn't everything. Great symbolism doesn't make a great narrative on its own. In the end, what story does the game tell? What are its morals? That physical/sexual violence is repulsive? That sadness and depression make the world look scary? Not exactly world-changing views. We need to be more demanding of our games (and of ourselves).
Fox12 said:
For that reason I would argue that gaming has had its Citizen Kane moment for a long, long time.
Silent Hill 2 was released 15 years ago. The medium film is almost ten times older than that. The oldest written documents we know of are over 5000 years old. We don't know when humans have started speaking languages, but it could have happened around 100 thousand years ago. This is the amount of storytelling-experience video games are up against. Give us some time before you say "a long, long time" ;)
What's more, there have been games before Silent Hill 2 showcasing what that horror game is continuously being praised for, telling story with mechanics and graphics instead of words and voiceover. Missile Defense would be one such example. Though, this type of arcade game doesn't get the same reputation as a story-focused 3D adventure, of course. Another one would be Earthbound. Those are just off the top of my head right now, I'm sure there are many more.
Again, I don't need a reminder of Silent Hill 2's excellence. However, its achievement is not in pioneering or actual content, but in execution. And that's not enough for being the greatest ever.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Instead of denouncing other titles hailed as the "Citizen Kane of gaming" and pushing forward other "more worthy" candidates, I propose we try to not label any game with that term. No game is the greatest, except for personal reasons. Even if it does handle subject matters usually not touched by gaming, I might either not care or think it's handled well.

Back in the day I was crazy about Silent Hill 2, but now I don't care too much for it anymore, while still being fully aware it's the best in the series and one of the most finely crafted psychological horror experiences ever made. I've enjoyed my time with it, but I've moved on to other things, and other even older games have impacted me more and stayed with me longer.

So this whole 'Citizen Kane' thing seems to be more about personal experiences than anything.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
stroopwafel said:
Anyways, I recently replayed Silent Hill 2 and I'd say it defintely holds up quite well... play the original on PS2/Xbox or PC and not the HD version which is garbage.
Yikes. Can't find it at Gog, Steam, Origin or Uplay. Gamestop: nope. Amazon, direct from them, least expensive is Xbox version which I could play on a 360 for $63. PC: $119!!! Might try buying from an Amazon dealer for about $30. Let me know if you have another suggestion.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It's a fantastic game. Let me explain, in my humble opinion, why.

Very few games try to deal with inner conflict, let alone succeed so brilliantly in doing so. I could go on about symbolism and subtlety and whatever (all very well executed) but really what ties it all together is the conflict, or dramatic progress of the story.

There's a basic dramatic cycle in developing conflict. You take a theme or value and then scale up the drama by opposing it against its Contradictory, Contrary and Negatory counterparts. If the theme is Truth, then the story has to set up its protagonist against the False, the Untrue and finally Denial or Self-Deception. That's how good drama plays out: obstacles increase in quality and choices become harder until it's all about a climactic choice. Choosing between what is right and what is wrong is a boring conundrum. Everybody will always choose what they think is best for them. Real dramatic weight comes from choosing between something like the lesser of two evils, or two irreconcilable goods.

Silent Hill 2's narrative brilliance comes from following this simple yet timeless dramatic structure.

If SH2's main theme is Freedom, then its Contradictory/Contrary/Negatory counterparts are Aggression, Oppression and Repression. Monsters attack the protagonist (Aggression), contradicting his basic Freedom. But it's all the more problematic when it is made evident that the town itself is subtly manipulating James (Oppression), negating his Freedom even in victory over Aggression. But even when he has successfully navigated his way through the town's oppressive labyrinth, James has yet to face the Antichrist of Freedom, "the negation of the negation", which is his own self-denial (Repression). And here comes the dramatic choice: does he forgive himself and become Free, or does he atone for his sins and succumb to Repression?

That's why I think there's something special about Silent Hill 2. It develops its conflict thoroughly with perfect dramatic pacing, and works both on an external and internal level. That's why the story has resonated so profoundly with so many people: it's about an inner journey. Not a lot of games try that, let alone pull it off.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
Gorfias said:
stroopwafel said:
Anyways, I recently replayed Silent Hill 2 and I'd say it defintely holds up quite well... play the original on PS2/Xbox or PC and not the HD version which is garbage.
Yikes. Can't find it at Gog, Steam, Origin or Uplay. Gamestop: nope. Amazon, direct from them, least expensive is Xbox version which I could play on a 360 for $63. PC: $119!!! Might try buying from an Amazon dealer for about $30. Let me know if you have another suggestion.
Blame konami for that, I think it's going to be very hard to find a copy. I found one at GameStop, but I had to ask at the desk. Most retro game stores will have a copy. For me that would be a play n' trade, but I'm not sure if they have that where you live : /

This is why I try to lend out my copy when I can.

Edit: I don't know if I'd compare it to nymphomaniac or not. It definitely deals with the darker side of sex, and it has a similar tone, but otherwise the stories are quite different. I like Lars Von Trier, but I sometimes feel like he's baiting controversy. I didn't really get vibe from Silent Hill 2. If you liked Lars Von Trier you'll probably enjoy SH2.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Fox12 said:
Most retro game stores will have a copy. For me that would be a play n' trade, but I'm not sure if they have that where you live : /

This is why I try to lend out my copy when I can.
Nope, no play n' trade here. I'll ask my boy, he knows of a place. Might have to put me on a waiting list. FYE gives a price and then says, "out of stock"! Doh.

I have Alan Wake to tide me over for now.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Oh please no.

Silent Hill 3 was better than Silent Hill 2 on every imaginable level. Yes, even atmosphere.

Further, the fact that the early Silent Hills did a few things quite well does not mean that it should be the "Citizen Kane" of gaming. I mean, have we all not realized that Silent Hill is not especially fun? It's fun enough I guess, but as far as enjoyment goes, it's definitely not a game I want to play over again. The "Uber Game That All Should Emulate" probably should have that quality! I'd say that The Binding of Isaac is better than the Silent Hills for this very reason - it covers a similar branch of content (which is apparently what REALLY matters) but is actually fun.

It's incredibly easy to get burned out on Silent Hill on this forum, let me tell you.

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
Silent Hill 2 is NOT and was never groundbreaking. That's not me trying to discredit its accolades, just pointing out a very simple fact.
Player choice? Was done years prior by games like Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Wasteland, Deus Ex, etc. Absolutely nothing new on that front. Player choice was very much a thing before anyone even thought about making SH2.
Tying together gameplay and plot? Also done years before it by other games like Half-Life and System Shock.

If gaming's "Citizen Kane" is determined by originality, then Silent Hill 2 by definition, loses.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Silent Hill 2 is massively over-rated. Played it multiple times. Not scary, not original, no engaging or immersive. Its just some dork running around a near empty town, not knowing whats going on, while equally dorky people tell him he doesn't know whats going on, and then a bunch of dorky monsters don't bother to chase you because you don't know whats going on, and then you get a dorky ending based on actions you didn't know about, all leading up to a conclusion where you don't know whats going on.

Silent Hill 3 was better in every way, with the possible exception that the insane cultist dude(Vincent maybe?) was more annoying that the dorky stripper lady(Mary? Maria? Steve?) from Silent Hill 2.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Silentpony said:
Silent Hill 2 is massively over-rated. Played it multiple times. Not scary, not original, no engaging or immersive. Its just some dork running around a near empty town, not knowing whats going on, while equally dorky people tell him he doesn't know whats going on, and then a bunch of dorky monsters don't bother to chase you because you don't know whats going on, and then you get a dorky ending based on actions you didn't know about, all leading up to a conclusion where you don't know whats going on.

Silent Hill 3 was better in every way, with the possible exception that the insane cultist dude(Vincent maybe?) was more annoying that the dorky stripper lady(Mary? Maria? Steve?) from Silent Hill 2.
Why did you play it multiple times? did you enjoy it that much despite what you just said?

(OT) Personally I have not played the game. I never liked the original Silent Hill and well thats where the series kind of stopped for me although its one of the many games I always intended to play and one of my friends has a PS2 copy so could just borrow that.

Calling any game the greatest game ever made however even if you add a possibly in there is just going to get a lot of people disagreeing with you and ultimately there really is no such thing its just to subjective. You would have been better of saying why Silent Hill 2 is my best game of all time and then giving reasons although that doesnt really have much discussion value and so is kinda pointless.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Maximum Bert said:
I played it when I was younger, maybe 12 or 13 when it was a new game. I didn't get it then, and certainly didn't find it scary. I guessed I wasn't mature/old enough to get it or find it scary.

I tried it again when the HD remake came out maybe 2 years ago. Still didn't think it was any good. I understood it better, sure. But its still a confused mess of shifting tones, lackluster encounters and gameplay mechanics, and an overly simplistic plot that somehow is over-wrought and mawkish.

Fox12

Jun 6, 2013
lacktheknack said:
Oh please no.

Silent Hill 3 was better than Silent Hill 2 on every imaginable level. Yes, even atmosphere.

Further, the fact that the early Silent Hills did a few things quite well does not mean that it should be the "Citizen Kane" of gaming. I mean, have we all not realized that Silent Hill is not especially fun? It's fun enough I guess, but as far as enjoyment goes, it's definitely not a game I want to play over again. The "Uber Game That All Should Emulate" probably should have that quality! I'd say that The Binding of Isaac is better than the Silent Hills for this very reason - it covers a similar branch of content (which is apparently what REALLY matters) but is actually fun.

It's incredibly easy to get burned out on Silent Hill on this forum, let me tell you.
Does every game need to be fun, though? Or every film, or every book? People complain about how games are scared to tackle difficult subject matter, but then they get upset when a game tries something new. Shouldn't be taken for granted that a game about child rape and depression won't be fun? Should we just bar off anything serious in a game? I like games like Saints Row 3, where the main focus is on having a good time, but we should be willing to tackle hard things as well.
Halla Burrica said:
Silent Hill 2 is NOT and was never groundbreaking. That's not me trying to discredit its accolades, just pointing out a very simple fact.
Player choice? Was done years prior by games like Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Wasteland, Deus Ex, etc. Absolutely nothing new on that front. Player choice was very much a thing before anyone even thought about making SH2.
Tying together gameplay and plot? Also done years before it by other games like Half-Life and System Shock.

If gaming's "Citizen Kane" is determined by originality, then Silent Hill 2 by definition, loses.
It's not that silent hill created player choice, it's that it perfected it. Hell, silent hill 1 technically had player choice. But, at a time when player choice was typically just good/evil, silent hill did something more complex. Modern games, like Mass Effect, introduced more complex choices, but it still beat you over the head with them. Silent Hill 2 is innovative because I would argue that there was a meta narrative about the players actions in the game. Small things that are typically taken for granted have real consequences in the game. I have no doubt that better games will surface, but as of now no ones really accomplished what Silent Hill 2 achieved.

There is no objectively "best" game, but I would say Silent Hill 2 is certainly the most ahead of its time.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Silentpony said:
Silent Hill 2 is massively over-rated. Played it multiple times. Not scary, not original, no engaging or immersive.
This. I realize that this is the home of Yahtzee but it just isn't that great. I've tried it twice and I didn't finish both times. I tried the PS2 version the first time. I later tried the Xbox version the second time because everybody keeps talking about how great SH2 is so I figured I'd give it a second chance to see if I was missing something. Other than realizing that James kinda looks like David Bowie which added a lot of laughs to the second one: Nope, not missing a thing.

Like all of the Silent Hills (even SH1 and Downpour), the soundtrack is fantastic. Other than that, SH2 isn't really all that.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
thepyrethatburns said:
Like all of the Silent Hills (even SH1 and Downpour), the soundtrack is fantastic. Other than that, SH2 isn't really all that.
You know what? That's fair. The soundtrack is one of the two things I actually liked from SH2. Even bought it off iTunes along with Homecoming and Silent Hill 3(which I think has the better OST)
The 2nd thing would be the visual design. I love the way the monsters look. Its just such as shame they're wasted on such a murky, misty, far-away POV game.