Why so much hatred for Aquaman?

MisterMojo

Aug 28, 2009
I brought this up in the thread about MovieBob's "Film These Heroes" article, but nobody ever responded to me. I know that back in the 70's the SuperFriends cartoon didn't exactly go a long way towards making Aquaman an impressive character, but over the years he has definitely improved quite a bit under the various writers who have taken the helm of his book. In the past ten to twenty years he has gone through coups of his kingdom, had to face losing his son and wife to (if memory serves) his insane brother, and on multiple occasions becoming the only thing that saves the ENTIRE ocean system of the planet. Then there was that awesome harpoon-hand-thing he had for awhile that was replaced by a hand made of pure elemental magic water stuff, but I digress.

I've always found Aquaman to be an interesting character. No, he's not Batman, Supes, Wonder Woman, or part of the GLC, but he's not the pansy that he's been turned into over multiple episodes of Robot Chicken and Family Guy. So justify to me here, without using any of the over-the-top parody jokes that have been part of pop culture since the 70's, why you hate Aquaman. Hell, tell me why you hate any superhero/villain that doesn't quite get the attention that the majors do. Tell me why you hate Firestorm, Green Arrow, Swamp Thing, Toad, or any of their ilk.

Hopefully, this will lead to a fairly-decent and interesting discourse.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I just find his premise somewhat silly. He's a superhero that's more or less powerless outside of the sea. There's plenty of overlap into his limited field, but he does almost nothing outside of the water. It'd be like if Superman only had super powers between the hours of 3 a.m. and 4 p.m. While it makes for a nice themed hero, the limitations on his super powers are too great to take him seriously as a superhero. His job could easily be done by any other superhero, yet he's be powerless to stop anything on land.

MisterMojo

Aug 28, 2009
Cheveyo said:
People don't really hate Aquaman.
It's just that the 70s version of him is such an easy and irresistible target.
I disagree. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.220924.7448048]

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
Maybe it's hard to relate to an underwater world where his powers would actually be useful? I always had a soft spot for Aquaman because others saw him as a reject.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
It's hard to care about what happens in the dumb ol' ocean. And everyone hates him for being a rip off of Namor ;)

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
Most superheroes can function anywhere, anytime. Aquaman is worthless away from water. this is a problem considering msot conflict takes place away from water... see, this could be okay reversed. if he could talk to everything BUT fish it wouldnt be so.........idk linear. Picture lava man who only has powers in lava.... it's just not exciting.

MisterMojo

Aug 28, 2009
To Dags and everyone that uses the "he's useless out of the water" argument: I can't get behind that point. Yes, he may have some powers that are more useful in the sea than others, but with living on the ocean floor and the pressure that comes from it, he has a relative superstrength that, while there some heroes much more powerful, puts him on a level way above average. And when he had the elemental-hand-thing, he had a vast and nigh-infinite level of power that he could tap into at will.

Aquaman doesn't really do much on land, however, as he is the monarch responsible for everything the waters contain. So, in effect, there really aren't a whole lot of stories that feature him above-ground kicking ass and taking names.

MisterMojo

Aug 28, 2009
Hollock said:
It's hard to care about what happens in the dumb ol' ocean. And everyone hates him for being a rip off of Namor ;)
Not too many folks are fond of Namor, either.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Landlubbers are just jealous, of both Aquaman and Nimoy Namor. I don't hate them myself, I don't care much about them either way.

MisterMojo

Aug 28, 2009
@Octafish Well Aquaman was just one example, but there's tons of comic characters that are fantastically written, but because (insert pop culture "landmark" televison show here) made one joke on the character, they are automatically reviled and relegated to the realm of the same dumb jokes and arguments that everyone's heard a half-million times.

Just once, I'd like to see a reason that has actual reasoning behind it, but I haven't been able to get one.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Because ultimately he is useless when hes not in the water. I mean come on he has to take a swim every hour or else he dies. And he can talk to fish, wow that's so useful if you're on land. Aquaman is a pansy but I don't think that he deserves the flack he gets.

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
because it's considered cool to hate on him, I on the other hand, don't consider myself a fan, but will admit that he has in place in the DC canon, it just seems wrong to have a justice league without him

The Ultimate 2

Lord Of Madness
May 13, 2009
I think Jeff Dunham said it best. "He can breathe underwater and talk to fish, he's got the same powers as Spongebob."

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
MisterMojo said:
Just once, I'd like to see a reason that has actual reasoning behind it, but I haven't been able to get one.
That's kind of a ridiculous statement, you claimed that you couldn't "get behind my argument" without actually discrediting it. If he does die without regular ocean contact, I think that limits him further. I mean, what would Aquaman do proactively to stop harm to the sea that was coming from far inland. Sure he could deal with the consequences as they came, but he'd be powerless to stop them on his own.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Compared to other super heroes he seems unimpressive, so people make jokes about him.

I myself have an Aquaman shirt hanging in my closet.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
nobody really cares about underwater characters. The two exceptions are

1)the snorks, because stoners think there funny for some reason

2)the little mermaid, because Arieal has a nice rack and spends half the movie in a state of near nakedness which was a big deal for 12 year olds before the days of anime and the internet.

now it works slightly different for mindless underwater creatures because they function just like any other monster in a story they just live in the water.

the ocean makes for a mysterious place to explore but now one really wants hang out with anyone who lives there. so it really doesn't matter what you do to Aquaman or Namor, they'll never have the fan base of the land or space based super heros

MisterMojo

Aug 28, 2009
@Grim: Great vid, but you're still regurgitating the same tired things that everyone else does.

@The Ultimate: You said "Jeff Dunham," therefore making your point null and void.

@Cheveyo: I know, and I agree with everything you said. Maybe its wrong to hold out hope that people can think for themselves.

@Dags: How is that ridiculous that I want to hear something original? And also, it was never said that the Orin/Arthur Curry Aquaman would die without ocean contact, just grow weaker. In fact, as lifted directly from DC's wiki about his powers:

Powers

Atlantean Biological Adaptation: The Atlanteans are an offshoot of humanity that is biologically adapted to the deep ocean environment. For most Atlanteans, this means that can breathe underwater, endure the pressures of the deep (among other adaptations), and can only spend a very limited time out of water. He also possesses superhuman levels of strength, speed, endurance and durability, all by-products of his body being adapted to survive unprotected in the tremendous pressures of the ocean depths. Although other Atlanteans possess similar adaptations, Aquaman is super-Atlantean as well as super-human, and as such he has greater physical capabilities than does a typical Atlantean.

* Amphibious Nature: Aquaman, as an Atlantean, and the son of a wizard and Atlantean queen, can breathe both water and air, but must return to the aquatic environment at various intervals; this length can be prolonged by the humidity in the atmosphere.

* Enhanced Sight: His ability to see in the murky depths of the ocean allows him exceptional night vision while on land. He has claimed that his eyes are adapted to see at 6,000 fathoms (or 36,000 feet below the surface of the water).

* Enhanced Hearing: several times more acute than human capacity.

* Enhanced Smell: several times more acute than human capacity.

* Superhuman Strength: Aquaman possesses superhuman strength on the order of 150 times human maximum, but his strength is always underrated, considering the company that he keeps. His strength is more than a match for most barriers such as wood, metals, brick or concrete walls. Only extremely durable metal reinforced barriers, have any chance of slowing him for any length of time. Aquaman frequently displays feats of Super-Atlantian (the average Atlantian can lift/press approximately 2 tons) and Superhuman strength. While not on par with Superman, he has proven capable of performing standing high jumps of 4 stories (both on land and from water), lifting and throwing a tank (at least 25 tons), and even managed to hold out for an incredible length of time against Wonder Woman in combat. His strength would appear somewhat dependent on how hydrated he is as he was capable of lifting a considerable chunk of a city block in Sub-Diego, and has proven capable of shifting an oil rig platform which would weigh thousands of tons as well.

* Superhuman Endurance: Aquaman possesses strength and stamina that allows him to swim up to 150 mph for at least a 4 hour period without significant breaks for rest or recuperation.

* Superhuman Durability: Aquaman's enhanced physiology enables him to withstand impacts that would kill and ordinary human, and critically injure an average Atlantean. He has been seen in ocean depths as deep as 20,000 feet (3.79 miles) below the surface of the water. That amount of pressure is 800 atmospheres, which is enough to turn an ordinary human into a smear of blood and bone dust. It seems that Aquaman has been able to travel as deep as 36,000 feet (6.82 miles) considering that he claims that his eyes have been adapted to see at that depth. He is not completely durable against large fire arms, but is able to take a direct hit by small arms fire without incapacitation. Regular bullets are shown to make him bleed but otherwise glance off his thick skin.

* Energy-Heat Resistance: Aquaman is extremely resistant to energy/heat based attacks as he has with stood multiple blasts from Amazo's heat vision, Black Manta's heat beams, and energy blasts from an Omac.

* Superhuman Speed: Said to be the fastest thing underwater, he is capable of swimming at a consistent speed of 150 knots (175mph) for several hours. Aquaman can travel at much faster speeds for short "sprints." He has also been seen swimming at 10,000 feet per second. It's unknown how long he can keep up that amount of speed though. With his incredible speed in the water, Aquaman is able to create giant whirlpools.

* Superhuman Reflexes: While no speedster, Aquaman's reflexes are superior to even exceptional metahumans such as Deathstroke the Terminator, and his reflexes are on the order of 12-15 times faster than a normal human. Aquaman is probably the greatest swimmer in the world. Easily the better of any Olympic level athlete.

Marine Telepathy: Aquaman has the ability to communicate directly with sea life and has done so throughout most of his life. Lately he possesses a greater range of control that can actually force sea creatures to obey his whims. Currently, he requests their assistance and they comply. He has chosen to continue to request since, if he forces them to comply, they will ultimately lose respect for him. He now also has access to a quantum field phenomenon called "the Clear". "The Clear" quantum phenomenon has been observed with the subject called the Swamp Thing who called it the Green or the Morphogenic Field of Animal Man (also called the Red). Aquaman is also an accomplished telepath in general and can perform such telepathic feats as mind to mind communication, mind probes, mental domination of a non-aquatic mind, and mental attacks. The potency of such mental domination is unclear but he has been seen to use his powers to great effect against the White Martians and Doctor Polaris.

* Access to the Clear: Aquaman has the ability to sense the primal emotions of aquatic creatures through "The Clear". The Clear seems to function as a universal consciousness of all sea life. Via it he can communicate or command sea life on the other side of the planet. He can see what they see and much more what he is only beginning to realise. He can also push his telepathic powers to reach out to the higher land creatures to find that element of their brains that was once an aquatic dwelling creature. This may account for Aquaman's facility with language.

Sonar Location: A sonar power which allows Aquaman to detect things when blinded. A possible side effect of his gift from Posidon or from the nature of his advanced mental powers, Aquaman can use this sonar-like sense to detect objects much as a dolphin might. The range of this power is unknown.

Water Sense: He has a sixth sense of "feeling" flowing water over 47 feet away through any known surface or material and in any direction.

Superhuman Equilibrium
Sorcery (formerly) : His mutation into the dweller of the Deep through a bargin with ancient sea gods gave him untold amounts of powerful ancient magics.
Abilities

Master Swimmer: Aquaman is a master swimmer. Perhaps the greatest there is.

Expert Combatant: Aquaman excels at hand-to-hand combat and overall martial ability.

Expert Tactician: He has an advanced strategic sense, and has natural leadership qualities.
Accomplished Diplomat: His natural autocratic nature does not suit him well in environments where democracy is an issue but Orin is a natural commander and his ability has served him well in the protection of Posidonis.
Strength level
An approximation of Aquaman's strength would put his lifting/pressing capacity of at least over 60 tons while on land, depending on how long he has been out of water. While hydrated sufficiently, Aquaman has twice proven capable of lifting weights in excess of 10,000 tons.
Weaknesses

Water Deprivation: Aquaman must return to water after a period of time or he will weaken.

Waterbearer Abuse (formerly): Overuse of the Waterbearer Hand for violent means will cause the Thirst to attack the Secret Sea.