Why the "big boobs" "absurd female design" still exists?

Travdelosmuertos

Apr 16, 2009
A character needs to be immediately recognizable from a distance. The more exaggerated the features, the more it stands out - the more dynamic it looks. This is one of the first things I learned as an artist. Silhouettes. Noses, ears, and eyes tend to be larger than normal on memorable character designs.

A great (and current) example is Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. Her eyes are about 2x the size of a normal person's. It's also why her boobs were larger initially, then scaled down by Ken Levine when people made jokes about it. It wasn't to sexualize her at all. The artist was creating an easily identifiable silhouette. The player's brain immediately recognizes her as friendly and not a target. Valve used this principle masterfully in TF2. The heavy is designed with an exaggerated torso to draw attention and aggro from other players while the smaller and harder to see spy sneaks past enemy lines.

There's a video of the Bioware artists talking about why they don't have female turians in the games, and it was a matter of not being able to make Turian females identifiable. They don't have breasts, or feminine curves. They couldn't settle on a design that looked feminine, and that is because of the silhouette.

Also, dudes like boobs.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
Have you ever even seen boobs. they are like magic. I certainly cannot resist a good boob.
and by that logic, bigger is better apparently.

BUT.

I'll never grow up, and stuff like this will always be worth a giggle, but I'm not dumb enough to actually go and buy something just because it has big boobs. Because even though they are magic, I'm not interested in just boobs

I do think this applies to a whole range of boys/men.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
Yuuki said:
Ratties said:
It's because sex sells. Even if the person drawing the big breasted knight knows it's stupid, it will get their game some media attention. Look how much we are all talking about Dragon's Crown. That's the point. Even negative attention is still attention.

Just by posting a pic of a hot looking girl, will now get people to read what I wrote. they may not respond to it, it gets their attention. Whether it is negative or not, who cares.
Goddammit dude, at least have the courtesy to that in a NSFW spoiler tag or something, really don't need my others spotting that on my screen.

She's not sexy to me since I find facial/tongue piercings and slutty expressions disgusting (except in extremely rare cases), plus this isn't a site I fap to.

Please? Thanks. I'm trying to read what people are saying and it's rather distracting :p
You just proved my point. Thank you. Its a girl sticking her tongue out, get over it.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
What's with all this shaming of people who happen to like big breasts. Everyone has their own preference.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Ratties said:
You just proved my point. Thank you. Its a girl sticking her tongue out, get over it.
There was nothing to prove since we all know Escapist is like 75-80% straight-male viewers, being a gaming-oriented site -_-

Ratties

May 8, 2013
Yuuki said:
Ratties said:
There was nothing to prove since we all know Escapist is like 75-80% straight-male viewers, being a gaming-oriented site -_-
Now I feel like I am talking to my friends girlfriend. Whatever. You win. Next topic, lol.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Ratties said:
Now I feel like I am talking to my friends girlfriend. Whatever. You win. Next topic, lol.
Actually I was a bit off, it's more like 80-85% [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.405809-Poll-Escapist-Gender-Identity-Survey-2013] :p

Master of the Skies said:
Someone noticed when you posted a gif on a site that's mostly text posts? Yeah I'm sure that proves it's about the girl.
Good point, usually when I glimpse a gif I pause to watch it..just in case it turns out to be awesome/hilarious :p
It's like my brain automatically goes "ooh moving pictures, weeeee".

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Dragons Crown is OK with me, because it's ridiculously stylized. The designs fit the art style and over-the-top aesthetic that the game is going for. I can understand being pissed off at oversexualisation in a 'realistic' game, but here I'm just not seeing it.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
RatherDull said:
Because there's still a place for it. It's as simple as that.

Really, do we want to take it away? That would be unfortunate.
Take it away?

I guess most people complaining know would be perfectly happy if the landscape of gaming looked more like the one of cinema. There are plenty of movies that cater to certain audiences.* But in the big blockbuster movies, the equivalent the expensive AAA games, the ones intended for a broader audiences, there's only that much you can get away with. Sure, Hollywood is not exactly abundant with strong, complex female characters either, let alone leads, but outfits and, by necessity, bodily proportions, are a fair deal more reasonable. And they even show much more nudity too - but where it belongs. Girls don't fight nude, they have sex. Isn't that kind of, you know, hotter?
___

Edit: * And if people stopped pretending that certain games are so much more than that, there'd be there'd be less fuzz around those games too.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
It's the shamelessness of it for me, the poor taste and the lazy execution. I personally love large breasts, and I'm not going to pretend otherwise, but I still find stuff like Dragon's Crown wholly unappealing because of the way it's done: horrendously. In general, video games handle sex appeal clumsily and brainlessly, as they do most things.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
Its wrong of you to hate big boobs. So. You are the one at fault OP not games industry. Chesty women can't help how they are born after all.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
CloudAtlas said:
RatherDull said:
Gamers prefer women who kick ass.
So do I. But why do they insist on them being scantily clad while doing so?
Because it can be fun.

And it's harmless. Lots of people claim its damaging etc. But those people seem to think people look to video games for examples of what real life should be like, or something.

I mean, I don't go to the movies and see a guy jump off a bridge and dodge and explosion and go "That's so awesome. I'm gonna do that next weekend".

If women think its unfair they should make some games for women with half naked dudes. Why not? I'm sure a lot of women would enjoy that. At least that would be productive.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
nightmare_gorilla said:
So, I have a question for everyone rattling their swords about dragon's crown and doa and whatever latest offender of feminine ideals is. Why does this design still persist?

apparently the overwhelming public opinion is that having attractive women just for the sake of having attractive women is crap, lazy, sexist, dumb, and probably gives you cancer. so if everyone hates it so much then why do they continue doing it? businesses aren't stupid MS took a look at the responces to xbox1 and did a 180. not because it was the right thing to do but because they wanted to move more xbox1's. so i'm asking you honestly, if it's so offensive and terrible, why buy the games. if dragon's crown is such a horrendous offender shouldn't it's sales be tanked? I'm not afraid to say I like my games containing absurdly large breasts and I don't mind my games containing small ones either but when given the choice between two totally identical female characters i'll pick the one who's more attractive to me and that means bigger T&A and more revealing clothing. i don't apologize for that and my buying trends reflect it. i'm a big fan of DOA not just for the skimpy clothes but the solid combat systems. Rumble Roses was one of the best pure wrestling systems I've ever laid hands on and yes having a buncha half naked women grabbing each other made the game more FUN, it doesn't add to the social value of the game sure but i play games to be entertained not to make a political statement. i think discussion is an important part of any issue but we've been talking about this since Mai shiranui was invented and subsequently patched into a nude version. since the days of super Nintendo 2d brawlers we've had endless discussions about it. and you know what, everything that can be said has been said. it's time to put up or shut up. if you find a games female design offensive DON'T BUY IT!!!! let the dollars and cents create the games of the future don't bemoan the plight of women in gaming for hours then rush out to buy the latest boob simulator only to post forum rage about it. just don't buy it. once they have your money you have approved of their game as much as they need you to. personally i'm more interested in using this on more offensive practices like online passes and restrictive drm but the principle is the same. we are the consumers we hold all power because we have the money we must make a conscious choice to give it to them.

i just read an article on kotaku about how horribly offensive the "red light district" is in the new Valhalla knights 3, the writer says and I quote "I found it repulsive Still, that didn't keep me from clocking in well over 120 hours of gameplay time." 120 hours into something he found repulsive....

we have to start doing better people, forum rage and flame wars are all fun for a laugh but in the end we are just fighting with each other. so i'm saying if you find the "sexism" in games repulsive but still buy the offensive ones. it's your fault. i'm no apologist I buy what I like and I like full bodied women. I like them more when they come partially unwrapped. saves my mind some time. so I buy things that appeal to me. and don't say there are no good choices in games for women. gameing is such a broad spectrum of styles and genre's there are games that appeal to ALL sensibilities. Last of us had a strong female character, anything with a character customization system usually lets you play a female. buy mass effect, buy things that you think have strong female role models.

who's dollars are worth more? the perverts like me or the straight laced do gooders. OPEN WALLETS AT TEN PACES! FIGHT!
Well, the people who find it sexist or immature don't buy it. It's financial success is completely removed from whether or not the game is on the wrong side of the sexism debate. The thing is, Dragons Crown isn't doing anything new. If the game was released twenty years ago, nobody would bat an eye. There would be no sexism debate, because sexism was, quite frankly, an accepted part of the video game industry. The industry isn't necessarily dominated by men anymore though, and the industry is the fastest growing in entertainment. As a result the industry is growing up, and becoming more inclusive. Yes, there are people who are offended by the game. They don't buy it. They criticize as a work of art. They have that right. There are enough people who will buy it for it to remain profitable. There's nothing wrong with games becoming more inclusive, it should be welcomed. If the game really is a piece of art, then people have a right to praise or criticize it.

Just because a games profitable doesn't mean it's not sexist.

Keep in mind the game isn't sexist because it has attractive women in it. It's sexist because the women have no positive traits outside of sexual appeal.