Why the fuck didn't anyone tell me how fantastic Elite Dangerous was?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Grouchy Imp said:
RedRockRun said:
For someone who has never played a spaceflight sim, do you think it would be too difficult for me to learn?
I wouldn't think so. One of the cool little touches I like about this game is that in order to undock from a spaceport you must perform a series of pre-flight checks - essentially the game gets you to go through each control function before letting you out into the Black. This has the dual effect of immersing you in the role of a pilot systematically checking your ship over before launch and reminding you the player of the control system each time you load up your game.
It only does this on your first launch. Doing it on every one, making sure you know every control function on every launch, would get tedious very fast.

I agree on using a HOTAS for this game. I had an old Saitek stick and there simply were not enough buttons. Relegating some controls to keyboard just felt unnatural and my Thrustmaster Hotas X is far more immersive (plus being a great bargain).

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
BeerTent said:
E:D is a great game, but it does have a few big overbearing problems. I'm not a fan of the fact that if I want more content in my beta equivalent I'd have to shell out the price of the game again for Horizons.
To be honest the whole backlash over that genuinely surprised me. It's not exactly like it's unprecedented, which is how everyone seems to be reacting. Guild Wars 2 is putting out a new expansion that costs as much as the core game did, as well as including it, as well as introducing F2P on the core at the same time. Taken King is also full price if you aren't getting the special edition, and that's actually been received better then Destiny was at launch.

Hell, the latest WoW expansion is $50 for a base game that's fallen to $20, and that's with the subscription, not to mention how many other expansions before it? And microtransactions on top of it, because sure, at this point why not?

Really I'm not entirely really sure why people decided to make this one the time they weren't on board. So far I haven't heard a single person complain about any of those other examples. Is it just a holdover from the existing concerns about a lack of content? I could understand that, although I personally haven't had any problems with stuff to do. I've spent the entire 10 hours I've put into it so far according to Steam just hauling cargo from system to system and I've had an absolute blast with it, to the point where I've started to wonder if I'd actually really like Euro Truck Sim. Some people see that as a lack of content, others just see that as a style. So I dunno.

The way I see it, we have a niche MMO with no subscription fees launching at what the industry considers a budget price, maintained by an independent studio with no major publisher support and no other releases to fall back on. Yes it'd certainly be nice if it was less, it'd be nice if it was free. But I don't know that it sounds that unreasonable, especially since again, they're hardly the only MMO adopting this model and that includes some much, much bigger players in the field.

Mar 30, 2010
Remus said:
Grouchy Imp said:
RedRockRun said:
For someone who has never played a spaceflight sim, do you think it would be too difficult for me to learn?
I wouldn't think so. One of the cool little touches I like about this game is that in order to undock from a spaceport you must perform a series of pre-flight checks - essentially the game gets you to go through each control function before letting you out into the Black. This has the dual effect of immersing you in the role of a pilot systematically checking your ship over before launch and reminding you the player of the control system each time you load up your game.
It only does this on your first launch. Doing it on every one, making sure you know every control function on every launch, would get tedious very fast.

I agree on using a HOTAS for this game. I had an old Saitek stick and there simply were not enough buttons. Relegating some controls to keyboard just felt unnatural and my Thrustmaster Hotas X is far more immersive (plus being a great bargain).
There's an option in the menus to switch preflight checks off (apart from first launch) or on (for every launch). It's a useful feature if you're new to space sims and need a little extra help or if you like the added immersion of giving your ship the once-over before leaving spacedock.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Lightspeaker said:
BeerTent said:
The fact that you have to deal with other players is a big part of a game like this, and feels like a massive chunk is taken out.
I take it you've never heard of or played the X series of games based on that statement. Or played Freelancer or Wing Commander.

Personally the idea of dealing with every moron who wants to take a shot at me whilst I'm trying to relax and explore and take in the universe doesn't appeal overly much. To quote myself: "I don't WANT other random assholes in my space sims".
I've never played Wing Commander, I've played a little bit of X3, and I absolutely LOVED Freelancer. That was the big problem with FL though... Without the Boston mod, I found the game to be dull. The AI weren't challenging, and there were a set of ships you went through to get to the top. With the mod, the AI posed a challenge, and there were some unwinnable fights. I actually felt that FL should have been an MMO, and FL was the 1st game I played where everyone wasn't trying to kill everyone. I've logged a large number of hours flying with traders, and just exploring on servers. A lot of PVP too, but the cases of "Oh fuck, I'll hold these pirates off while you run" were far the exception from the norm.

Honestly, in Space sims, people killing each-other is far more rare than you think. I've only been attacked unprovoked 3 times in E:D. Once was a random newbie, who was killed quickly. And the other two were because I chose to be involved with PowerPlay. If I didn't pop up as a big red enemy in hostile space, I wouldn't have been shot at.

I've been through far more interactions where me and another player simply talked, or just decided to form a wing for protection and missions. And there are of course those situations of "Oh, shit, I see a human. What's he gonna do? Oh. Nothing... He's already gone."

E:D's universe is so massive, that other than the Sagittarius Incident, I've never heard of an explorer being attacked, or even much interaction between explorers. ("Holy shit a human! Hello!! He said hello back!! EEEEE we're best friends now! :D") You can still do Solo. I'm not knocking your preferences... I'm just saying that it's nowhere near as bad as you think. Cargo hold empty? Just comply with the pirates. They'll leave you alone. (Minus the few jabs at your shield to prevent combat logging.)

Mike Richards said:
BeerTent said:
E:D is a great game, but it does have a few big overbearing problems. I'm not a fan of the fact that if I want more content in my beta equivalent I'd have to shell out the price of the game again for Horizons.
To be honest the whole backlash over that genuinely surprised me. It's not exactly like it's unprecedented, which is how everyone seems to be reacting.[...]
I never went through any of the kickstarter stuff. When I looked at the Steam Page, I was expecting that they were still working on it, and that the updates would continue to pour in. We've seen the free updates in the form of 1.1, 1.2, Power Play and soon to arrive: CQC. To me, it still feels like a beta, and there's a large amount of concerns about a lot of issues and bugs brought up, but have never been resolved.

That doesn't mean that, in it's current state, it cannot be a great game. I just feel like, I've been mislead a bit. I get that a massive expansion is coming out, but what I don't get is that the developers seem to be working to segregate the community. (Open/Private/Solo) and they're going to do it even more with Horiz/Non-Horiz. If the price point wasn't what it was, I'd get it, but right now I feel like it's so much to ask. They've already got micro-transactions, they've put out a season's pass... I've seen this behavior before. It's not the behavior of a trustworthy developer.

Also: They've... Got... Quite a few games to fall back on. But I will agree that this is the largest self-published project they've ever undertaken.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Lightspeaker said:
BarryMcCociner said:
It's fucking Euro Truck Simulator 2: Space Edition with other people.
See, I've considered buying it several times over...but that last bit is what puts me off.

Its also what's annoying me a bit about Star Citizen. I don't WANT other random assholes in my space sims, I just want a nice, peaceful time to explore and stuff.
You can play solo, which means that you are inhabiting the same universe as other players (so the economy fluctuates, system control changes, etc depending on overall user interaction) but you never encounter them and they never encounter you. You can still encounter and interact with NPCs though.

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
For those of you who find Elite: Dangerous to be a turn off for being a simulator or an MMO, I would suggest keeping an eye out for Everspace.

It just recently successfully completed its kickstarter and I'm personally looking forward to it.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
BarryMcCociner said:
I've pretty much mad the decision to get an occulus rift just because of this game.
You will not regret it. Elite in the Rift is by far the most immersive thing I've ever played. I've spent roughly 30 hours with it in Elite and for space junkies like me, it's the greatest thing ever. Jumping out of Frame Shift and seeing that massive star appear in front you will never get old.
I'd recommend using Voice Attack with it though.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
BeerTent said:
Honestly, in Space sims, people killing each-other is far more rare than you think...
Let me introduce you to a little known space sim called Eve Online [http://www.eveonline.com]...

Also known as the persistent-world sociopath simulator.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
kris40k said:
BeerTent said:
Honestly, in Space sims, people killing each-other is far more rare than you think...
Let me introduce you to a little known space sim called Eve Online [http://www.eveonline.com]...

Also known as the persistent-world sociopath simulator.
I'll admit to not playing Eve. A lot of the killings I've heard about however, are there for political reasons, or "I'm powerful enough to do something balls-off-the-walls-crazy. I'mma do it." I'm not really sure comparing EVE to FL or E:D is that really a great comparison. EVE is more along the vein of WoW, click buttons and let RNGesus [sub]Praise be on to him.[/sub] take over. When you gotta dogfight, you gotta work for the kills.

But, my experiences with E:D and FL? Players have been super-duper friendly.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I bought Elite: Dangerous last December. Almost immediately after, I got a HOTAS flight stick. Then a DK2. Then a Titan X.

Anything to make my virtual spaceship prettier.

I'm proud to be an intergalactic garbage man.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
This thread is making me yearn.

Do you ever yearn? I Yearn. Often I sit, and Yearn.

So many games to play all at once, and ones coming out that I want to play. If I play a game, I need to be immersed in it for all it's worth, and with something like Elite Dangerous, that could be a while. It'd be like a jacuzzi -- once I get in, I'm going to want to sit there enjoying it until I'm thoroughly boiled.

I don't know if I can do that.

Besides, the thing costs too much. It's not worth a AAA price in my opinion with how many features it's lacking in early access. I'd have to wait for a deep discount.

Skip Bittman

Oct 2, 2015
My gawd, wait till you try E:D in the consumer Rift or HTC Vive. As a VR experience, for a certain audience its as good as it gets, without a doubt the most immersive thing since immersive things were possible... I still find myself saying "Jesus!" or "Holy shit!" a year later.

I cannot WAIT for Horizons in VR... gah! Multicrew with a mic on the HMD? Moon buggies with air support? Pure chaotic fun and enjoyment.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I'm struggling to convince myself to buy it. On one hand, I enjoyed Frontier and X-Wing vs Tie Fighter back in the glorious days of the 90s, but on the other I tried a couple of the X games and utterly hated the space trucker second-job gameplay. Is Elite: Dangerous much like the X games or does it offer something better for less patient people such as myself?

Nezakhan

Oct 2, 2015
BarryMcCociner said:
Why didn't anyone tell me how fucking amazing this game is?
Meh, I'm not a fan. I've watched enough streams of ED on twitch to know it has that console-limited feel to it, and definitely not good enough for me.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
BarryMcCociner said:
I've pretty much mad the decision to get an occulus rift just because of this game.
Yea, wait until you actually get the OR. There is nothing like it.

I've got mine on maxed graphics, Oculus Rift, and a Thrustmast Warthog. "Awesome" is the only word that can properly describe this.

Skip Bittman

Oct 2, 2015
Console-limited feel? Says a man who hasn't played it with a DK2 and HOTAS. Or in 4k. Try doing that on yer consoles.

Speaking of, will Horizons even be coming out for Xbox One? Haven't seen any dates about it.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Nailzzz said:
For those of you who find Elite: Dangerous to be a turn off for being a simulator or an MMO, I would suggest keeping an eye out for Everspace.

It just recently successfully completed its kickstarter and I'm personally looking forward to it.
Hhmmm missed that one.
Not so much into keyboard and mouse control though... I got a HOTAS (Warthog) but its hassle to set up. Will it be possible to the use the Xbox One controller?

Anyway nice graphics and aesthetics.