Why the fuck didn't anyone tell me how fantastic Elite Dangerous was?

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
Ishigami said:
Nailzzz said:
For those of you who find Elite: Dangerous to be a turn off for being a simulator or an MMO, I would suggest keeping an eye out for Everspace.

It just recently successfully completed its kickstarter and I'm personally looking forward to it.
Hhmmm missed that one.
Not so much into keyboard and mouse control though... I got a HOTAS (Warthog) but its hassle to set up. Will it be possible to the use the Xbox One controller?

Anyway nice graphics and aesthetics.
From what i understand that will depend on how much pre-release funding they get. The kickstarter is over but i believe they are still accepting contributions for copy's and pre-release access and using those towards the stretch goals towards game pad support and possibly even console versions. Though I'm not sure how they will accommodate that in a way that wont put control pad users at the usual disadvantage vs. keyboard and mouse users.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Mike Richards said:
BeerTent said:
E:D is a great game, but it does have a few big overbearing problems. I'm not a fan of the fact that if I want more content in my beta equivalent I'd have to shell out the price of the game again for Horizons.
To be honest the whole backlash over that genuinely surprised me. It's not exactly like it's unprecedented, which is how everyone seems to be reacting. Guild Wars 2 is putting out a new expansion that costs as much as the core game did, as well as including it, as well as introducing F2P on the core at the same time. Taken King is also full price if you aren't getting the special edition, and that's actually been received better then Destiny was at launch.

Hell, the latest WoW expansion is $50 for a base game that's fallen to $20, and that's with the subscription, not to mention how many other expansions before it? And microtransactions on top of it, because sure, at this point why not?

Really I'm not entirely really sure why people decided to make this one the time they weren't on board. So far I haven't heard a single person complain about any of those other examples. Is it just a holdover from the existing concerns about a lack of content? I could understand that, although I personally haven't had any problems with stuff to do. I've spent the entire 10 hours I've put into it so far according to Steam just hauling cargo from system to system and I've had an absolute blast with it, to the point where I've started to wonder if I'd actually really like Euro Truck Sim. Some people see that as a lack of content, others just see that as a style. So I dunno.

The way I see it, we have a niche MMO with no subscription fees launching at what the industry considers a budget price, maintained by an independent studio with no major publisher support and no other releases to fall back on. Yes it'd certainly be nice if it was less, it'd be nice if it was free. But I don't know that it sounds that unreasonable, especially since again, they're hardly the only MMO adopting this model and that includes some much, much bigger players in the field.
GW2 had a lot to the base game. ED still feels like it's early access with the content they have, but rather than releasing with a big patch they're selling it.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
SecondPrize said:
Mike Richards said:
GW2 had a lot to the base game. ED still feels like it's early access with the content they have, but rather than releasing with a big patch they're selling it.
Which is a fair enough standpoint sure, but at the same time in the 10 plus hours I've spent with it so far I've done nothing but haul cargo from one port to another and haven't gotten the slightest bit bored yet. So to my mind I'd say it's doing pretty well as far as content is concerned. But I guess that's what makes judging things that aim for a very particular style like this hard to pin down.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
BarryMcCociner said:
I've already found ways to break the game though. I managed to sell a ship for easily three times what I paid for it because I'd put new equipment in it.
The sale value of a ship is ten percent less than the base cost of the ship plus the cost of all the modules fitted.

So you might have sold the ship for more than you bought it, but you made a ten percent loss against what you paid for the ship and parts combined. They thought of that one.

In the mean time, start trading rare goods and get yourself a Cobra, the Cobra is basically the mid-range Ford of Elite Dangerous, you can everything with it.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
This is one of those games I'm desperate to play, but I'm stuck not being able to until it gets the apparently-upcoming release on PS4 sometime in the future.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
WolfThomas said:
And whoops I bought this game based on the thread.
How are you finding it? Personally I'm morally opposed to buying games full price, but I'm pretty sure I've only got about two more playthroughs of shovel knight before I snap.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
BarryMcCociner said:
It's fucking Euro Truck Simulator 2: Space Edition with other people.
For some reason i got that game mixed up with Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing

I read the rest of your post assuming it was pure sarcasm...which made it quite funny

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
EvilRoy said:
How are you finding it? Personally I'm morally opposed to buying games full price, but I'm pretty sure I've only got about two more playthroughs of shovel knight before I snap.
Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm in the first few days infatuation stage, but I think it's really good. So good I'm looking at buying a joystick.

It looks gorgeous and runs great on my two year old gaming laptop. Controls are complex, I play with x-box 360 controller and keyboard with flight assist enabled. I am tweaking the setup but I'm starting to get the hang of everything. I seriously want to try a HOTAS with flight assist off because some of the moves I've seen online achieved with them are awesome (treating the ship as an actual spaceship not a fighter jet, defensive spins, side ways strafing etc).

It feels like a classic pc game, lots to learn less handholding, but once you do everything opens up to you.

I think 68AUD which I paid for was step. Probably the first pc game in a while I've paid that much for. But I definitely can see myself spending lots of hours playing it. I've bought plenty of games back in the day for as much or more, that were no where this good.

Hell if I were made of money, I'd get an oculus rift and >200 AUD keyboard because the future is now.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
because it's a remake of an old classic game and everyone and their grandmother knew what it was all about. Honestly, you didn't need to have heard about it being awesome, you were simply supposed to *know* that.

That being said, I still haven't played it :]

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
WolfThomas said:
EvilRoy said:
Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm in the first few days infatuation stage, but I think it's really good. So good I'm looking at buying a joystick.

It looks gorgeous and runs great on my two year old gaming laptop. Controls are complex, I play with x-box 360 controller and keyboard with flight assist enabled. I am tweaking the setup but I'm starting to get the hang of everything. I seriously want to try a HOTAS with flight assist off because some of the moves I've seen online achieved with them are awesome (treating the ship as an actual spaceship not a fighter jet, defensive spins, side ways strafing etc).

It feels like a classic pc game, lots to learn less handholding, but once you do everything opens up to you.

I think 68AUD which I paid for was step. Probably the first pc game in a while I've paid that much for. But I definitely can see myself spending lots of hours playing it. I've bought plenty of games back in the day for as much or more, that were no where this good.

Hell if I were made of money, I'd get an oculus rift and >200 AUD keyboard because the future is now.
Yeah I ended up buying it...

It reminds me a lot of an old game that got abandoned and then revived by a small community called Allegiance. Flight was very fun in that game, but it was a team with commander based fight between factions which made it very hard to get in to. You never got a chance to practice as commander so there were only a few people who were any good.

I think I like keyboard and mouse enough to not use my controller, although that might change. I've been flying without assist on and it isn't too bad, even if I'm still getting the hang of actually selecting and travelling to systems. Also I already died once running out of fuel trying to find a gas station.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
One thing I love is that there's no real punishment for upgrading to a bigger ship or different weapons. You can sell any detachable parts for 100% of the cost. The ship gets you 90%. But likely more as you can strip out quality parts and replace them with bottom of the range beforehand.

This means you don't have to hoard money or hesitate about buying that new ship. I jumped from sidewinder to eagle as soon as I can and then to Viper. At some point I might try a Cobra or Vulture or whatever. But in the mean time I'm pumping my credits into that Viper's weapons and systems.