Why the hell are companies so blind???

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
I honestly thought the Vita would be successful, it was just handled improperly. I thought the Wii U would do better than it did, but with gimmicks come a huge risk/reward (in this case no reward). A company isn't really going to get the message as long as what they're doing still makes money, it's as simple as that.

kamay

Nov 9, 2010
I really fail to see how a crash would help the industry. You are talking about tens of thousands of people losing their jobs - and those are just the direct job losses. You are making the assumption that another Nintendo will come along and take a huge chance to reboot the industry.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
weirdo8977 said:
Dark Souls, Demons Souls
Please continue trying.
Those games are good. But not triple A
They're about as far from triple A as you can get without being an indie game.
Depending on your definitions, they might both cross that line and actually be indie games.

As for the reason triple A sucks, it's because the people running the companies and doing the marketing are not selected from the Game Developer pools.
They may have management experience but they don't make games.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
weirdo8977 said:
IceForce said:
The OP would have been better off not responding at all, than making a hilariously poor argument like that.

Opinions, how do they work?
they don't
And as soon as I make the suggestion that "the OP would have been better off not responding at all", that's exactly what happens.

Looks like we wasted our time here.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Fonejackerjon said:
delta4062 said:
Fonejackerjon said:
Look, its doesn't take a genius to work out that the AAA industry is toxic. NAME 1 AAA game released recently that is worth anything?

Take your time.
Titanfall, Metal Gear Solid V, Dark Souls 2, Infamous Second Son. That's just in the last 3 months alone.

2013 was also a great year for AAA titles, many of which are well worth playing.

Generic copy, sequel, sequel, and sequel.

Try again my friend
What's wrong with sequels? Not everyone has the same cynical bitterness you apparently do. Just because you don't enjoy AAA games means none of us can?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Fonejackerjon said:
We knew the xbox one DRM was a fail before it was released, we knew the wii u would fail before released, we knew driveclub's PS plus 'upgrade' was a fail before release, we knew the vita would fail before it was released.

Why the f/uck are companies so blind? why are they so stupid? do they want to fail? What is their mentality Please someone help me understand. why do they need a backlash to change? are they so so stupid not to realise that everytime they do this EVEN when they reverse the policies it chips away at gamers trust leading to that inevitable AAA gaming crash
that is on the horizon (AAA not indie)

WE need a crash we want a crash its going to happen the only ones exempt will be indie developers and good luck to them!
The Xbox One and WiiU are somewhat easy to understand. Prediction is hard. Sometimes tech and user acceptance is running faster than what you guess, sometimes slower. And that can cause catastrophe. These two are examples of both ends of the spectrum.

For XBox DRM, what Microsoft was seeing was a widespread acceptance of the digital download DRM among PC gamers via Steam. They noted that PC gamers had pretty much universally chosen this model over the traditional retail box one, without any force or prompting. So they assumed it would carry over to console. On paper it looked viable and seemingly had tons of benefits. Where they went wrong was forcing it, and that those benefits were exclusive to the producers not the customers. Whereas Steam offered benefits to consumers in its new model. You can't force evolution or acceptance.

WiiU did the exact opposite. They tried to mate their console with a new cutting edge gimmick. The second screen touch tablet. The big problem is during their development actual tablet adoption came faster and was more widespread then they anticipated. So by the time they hit the market their new gimmick was somewhat passé, people's actual gaming experiences on their Android and iDevices was more compelling then their wacky controller. Compound that problem with the biggest marketing missteps in industry history and you have a huge failure. (Yeah naming the new console the WiiU was a huge part of the problem. )

In both cases these issues were easy to spot a few months prior to release. But by then it is too late. Predicting these things 2-5 years out is not so easy.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
Fonejackerjon said:
delta4062 said:
Fonejackerjon said:
Look, its doesn't take a genius to work out that the AAA industry is toxic. NAME 1 AAA game released recently that is worth anything?

Take your time.
Titanfall, Metal Gear Solid V, Dark Souls 2, Infamous Second Son. That's just in the last 3 months alone.

2013 was also a great year for AAA titles, many of which are well worth playing.

Generic copy, sequel, sequel, and sequel.

Try again my friend
i like how you changed the terms after someone provided you with with examples of exactly what you asked for. also, "generic copy"? hmm. copy of what? Titanfall is pretty unique, from my experience. then again, ive actually played it.

there are plenty of AAA games that are worth buying. you might enjoy some of them if you gave them a chance, but i assume you only play indie games out of some weird hipster principle. if thats the case, then you could at least not bash games simply for being big budget, especially if you havent even played them.

now, im all for fairness. it is pretty obvious that the AAA market is over-saturated with sequels, and AAA development certainly has its problems, but that doesnt make the games bad or "not worth anything".

by the way, all those sequels exist because their predecessors are fun as hell, and most people want sequels to the awesome games they have played.

Narfo

May 26, 2009
Fonejackerjon said:
I agree that corporate executives in the gaming industry come across as blind, obstinate fucks, but wishing for a game crash is not smart.
The video game crash of the 1980s pretty much killed video games as a viable industry, and it would have stayed that way if we weren't lucky enough to have Nintendo revitalize it.
Also, while there are plenty of factors involved to cause a crash, the two that must happen are: 1) the market is over-saturated with generic, pseudo-copy-pasted, and poorly made products that don't work; and 2) the sales of said products drops to the point where, for all practical purposes, no one is buying them.
The idea of supporting a crash is not only foolish, but a crash at this point in time is not going to happen, since most games tend to be just average, but still good enough for people to justify spending money on them.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
Dude, what did the industry do to make you hate them so much? First the thread where you claim Doodle Jump was better than any Triple A you've played, now this one saying everything was "doomed to fail".

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
IceForce said:
weirdo8977 said:
IceForce said:
The OP would have been better off not responding at all, than making a hilariously poor argument like that.

Opinions, how do they work?
they don't
And as soon as I make the suggestion that "the OP would have been better off not responding at all", that's exactly what happens.

Looks like we wasted our time here.
Wait isn't this the same OP that made those last two flame war designed threads and then left them alone?, this one seems like less of one but more of the "I've made up my mind try to fail at changing it" paradox.

I know when I've at least made up my own mind I tend not to create these type of threads, they will literally go nowhere.

And now I fell into that trap as well and wasted my time for actually thinking this thread was worth something until I realised who the OP was.

Mike Lemond

Jan 20, 2014
The OP made his opinions known in an awkward way! He's having difficulty articulating his frustrations! Let's all jump on him and make him feel inferior! Oh wait, you already have.

The truth is, the view from the top is very different from the view at ground level. We may never know why large devs are so stupid about their decisions, but I think it may partially come from a point-of-view problem.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Mike Lemond said:
The OP made his opinions known in an awkward way! He's having difficulty articulating his frustrations! Let's all jump on him and make him feel inferior! Oh wait, you already have.
It's kind of like the story of the boy who cried wolf. It's the OP's third poorly argued, flame bait, alarmist thread. Each time he makes two or three posts, enough to stir the pot, and then disappears...one can only get away with that so many times...

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Wait isn't this the same OP that made those last two flame war designed threads and then left them alone?, this one seems like less of one but more of the "I've made up my mind try to fail at changing it" paradox.

I know when I've at least made up my own mind I tend not to create these type of threads, they will literally go nowhere.

And now I fell into that trap as well and wasted my time for actually thinking this thread was worth something until I realised who the OP was.
You're absolutely right. I didn't notice that at first.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.848557-Is-it-just-me-or-does-the-idea-of-games-consoles-just-seem-obsolete-in-2014
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.849109-Sorry-but-the-console-industry-is-worse-than-the-mobile
dyre said:
It's the OP's third poorly argued, flame bait, alarmist thread. Each time he makes two or three posts, enough to stir the pot, and then disappears...one can only get away with that so many times...
It seems our OP here is in the business of making flamebait threads and trying to start flamewars.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
I was originally going to make a more in-depth reply to this, but then I realized that the original poster is just starting fires for their own sake. So I'll simply say that anyone who holds the opinion that the indie gaming dev community is a bastion of morality in the sea of AAA dreck should take one good look at soda drinker pro. :p just like the AAA gaming market, the indie scene has both excellent developers who release high quality and innovative products, and either incompetent or unscrupulous swindlers just trying to make a buck by releasing never-to-be-finished, unoriginal, or utterly broken titles. Although I wish the AAA market would, in general, cut back on some of its more harmful practices and aims, the same desire really does apply to the indie scene.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Fonejackerjon said:
We knew the xbox one DRM was a fail before it was released
It will come back, succesfully. Only the way it's going to come back is by producing less and less physical copies. It was just done way to bluntly.

Fonejackerjon said:
we knew the wii u would fail before released
Nintendo knew that they could not compete with M$ and Sony, they also knew motion controls are dead as far as far reaching market goes. What they did is try to innovate. And while i do think it was a misstep in terms of design (i don't agree with majority of people on reasons), real flop came from confusing marketing and lack of third party support.

Fonejackerjon said:
we knew driveclub's PS plus 'upgrade' was a fail before release, we knew the vita would fail before it was released.
Game was not released because of undisclosed reasons (all we got is generic "we are not happy with the state of game), not PS+ policies. Given the social focus of game that staggered free to try release is actually perfect match.

They are not stupid or blind. They operate by proven tactics. Reasons are simple, they have to minimize risks. Far to many giants were crippled or fell due to risky tactics therefor they go with that route only when they see no other way out. They play with enormous budgets, have to satisfy their boards and investors and are responsible for thousands to millions of workers. It's hard to throw caution to the wind when you are in that position. Large thing are slower to react, be it animal, plant of company.

Fonejackerjon said:
WE need a crash we want a crash its going to happen the only ones exempt will be indie developers and good luck to them!
Not only that i don't agree with need for new crash, i also believe that industry is way to big to crash anyway. Which is lucky since world would be plunged into new depression by huge raise in unemployment.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Fonejackerjon said:
We knew the xbox one DRM was a fail before it was released, we knew the wii u would fail before released, we knew driveclub's PS plus 'upgrade' was a fail before release, we knew the vita would fail before it was released.

Why the f/uck are companies so blind? why are they so stupid?
I'm not going to bash you, as the previous posters have already done that. Just here to suggest some answers.

Perhaps the people who run the big game companies are as cynical as we gamers are.
What we know for sure is that many of them don't have real affinity with video games and gamers.

So cynicism. Long before the reveal, I actually believed that not only would M$ try to cram as much DRM into the Xbone as they could, but also that they would get away with it.
Coming from the PC and with all it's DRM and seeing all the DLC and activation code schemes on the console, I figured gamers would simply bend over and take it from behind again.

The backlash positively surprised me. Incline of the console gamer. I think M$ was taken by surprise from the other end.

It also didn't help that the marketing for the Xbone was atrociously bad and the first reveals by M$ were the best anti-commercials that Sony could have wished for.

And finally, the XBO is just a worse PS4, but with kinect included and sold at a higher price point.

The suits have trouble figuring out what it is that gamers want and you cannot entirely blame them for that, as gamers are a pretty diverse bunch, especially when you include the casual gamers.
Eventually M$ had to fix the only thing they could still fix and that was remove some DRM. Can't change the hardware specs at this point.
Nah.

Fonejackerjon

Aug 23, 2012
DLC, Microtransactions, overblown budgets, same game after same game, high prices, broken on release, endless system updates.

Need I go on?

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Fonejackerjon said:
No Im not I just seem to see things alot clearer than some of you blind idiots. I can clearly see where this industry is going. It really doesnt take a genius to work out the ONLY successful AAA games are sequels and proven franchsies.
Man, if I had the power I would totally put you in charge of EA and tell you to fix everything. I honestly think that putting you in charge would actually fix many of the problems with EA. How sad is it that I honestly believe that? However, the first time you tried to innovate and your idea failed I would fire your ass. My guess is, you wouldn't have that job long.

lol captcha: be serious now

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Fonejackerjon said:
DLC, Microtransactions, overblown budgets, same game after same game, high prices, broken on release, endless system updates.

Need I go on?
So your game you make would have no DLC (which I commend you for) no microtransactions (which I also like) a moderate budget (so far so good) a fresh idea (keep going) priced low (oh baby) will have no bugs (awesome) thus won't need any updates because it will be perfect.

I would say I wish I had your outlook on the industry, but I did have it once. When I was 12.