Why Tina of Bob's Burgers Can't Be Ignored

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I don't know, Bob's Burgers seems like Family guy with no jokes and the characters are better people (they at least try to do what they think is right). Louise is a slightly older and female Stewie. Gene and Chris are basically the same. Tina is Meg but without the irrational hatred. Now, Family guy is a huge rip-off of the Simpsons but it added a lot to the formula. Bob's Burgers only took away from the things I like without adding anything new.

I also find the actor who portrays Linda... the voice he does is so grating I just want to change the channel. I don't like the art style much either but that wouldn't stop me if I liked the show. To me this show has always just seemed like a cynical cash in that tries very hard to make money by aping popular shows.

The only positive thing I have to say is that Kristen Schaal's voice acting is so over the top crazy it doesn't matter how bad the dialog is anything she says is still funny.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
bunnielovekins said:
Elf Defiler Korgan said:
Crawling into vents to spy on the boy's locker room?

"Snake, what are you doing?"
Swap the genders and you've got my adolescent fantasies right there.
The way of the ninja is often the way of the pervert.

*Leaps into the night*

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Is this a thing outside of the US? Never heard of this show before.
Then again, I don't really watch TV.

Judging from the other comments I think the author of this article might be putting too much thought into the character.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Having abused Hulu. I will say there is more to Bob's Burgers. It has fun myth gags. Its also a modern sitcom not a take down OF a sitcom. Also part of it was I was shocked by the voice cast being, somewhat, incongruous with their characters.

Bob is actually a pretty stand up guy. And I know H. Benjamin Jon mostly as dubious characters (not only on Home Movies and Archer but Key&Peele as well) Bob by contrast is something of a reverse jackie from the honeymooners. He has the talent but lacks the eye and ambition and near zilch in macho aggression. The real star seems to be the community with every character being some sort of crazy or sadsack. Its also more consciously class driven.
Part of it, at least the episodes I tried lately from the third season, is they have perfected cast herding so all the plotlines don't feel like being stuck in a room with screaming premadonna brats so much as a means to observe them and find they aren't all bad.

I can also understand the appeal of Tina. She's a drole deadpan snarker who does stuff modern teen girls do but not presented in a totally mean or vapid way. Mind that's far from unusual but that she's part of an overall cast and the oldest and other things...she's likely very appealing to quote and report and examine and at the same time root for in her quest for womanhood when she can see how it can fail with examples about her. The romantic, the greedy cynic, and exuberant creative.
I also feel this is one show with an eye to the working class that keeps them working class and not just upper class who decided to slum it or how upper class thing lower class works. ITs the touches along with the racial diversity and other characteristics.

So it is a good show but at the same time not appoinment viewing. I'd call it...a very well made sitcom that's neither edgey or retrograde. Just is. And that can work for a show if you come to appreciate the characters and their workings. Admittedly I only cottoned with the season finale and its song extravaganza and Bond like teaser.