Why was there no uproar about same sex relations in Skyrim, or the Fable series?

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Because the romance systems were the shallowest most inconsequential crap I've ever seen. Similarly, Dragon's Dogma allowed any relationship with any NPC you could find regularly enough to talk to, but it was not praised for its openness because its romance system was just about worse than Skyrim's and the relationships mean nothing. People even went with bloody Fournival just to get cheaper arrows for the endgame, that's how little of an impact it had. In things like Mass Effect it's slightly different because relationships are a bit more believable and people invest their feelings in the characters.

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
As already mentioned, because ME's Cortez is a character with personality and the romance is an actual plot, as opposed to Skyrim "I have an item, you must now marry me and give me a slight XP boost."

Evil Cabbage

Mar 26, 2011
I think the difference is really that, to some players of The Old Republic and Mass Effect, the inclusion of homosexuality was seen as an unnecessary change to established canon. Whilst I disagree with this view (particularly The Old Republic,)Skyrim and Fable allow you to create your own characters, so no canon/norms are being changed.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
Jachwe said:
The sum it up: The relationships in Mass Effect is as shallow as the relationship in Skyrim from the narrative's point of view and we players like these lovestories so much because it makes us feel potent within the narrative without actualy being potent.

On the topic: Well they are bioware games. Their publisher is EA thus they have a lot of visibility thus these games get discussed.
I see where you're coming from, but i'm going to have to disagree. The relationships may be ultimately quite superficial in a Bioware game, but at least it has a facade of depth. You do have to make an (however minor) effort to talk to that person and agree with their views and support them when they're not happy bunnies. That and you get a softcore sex scene to boot.

In Skyrim you: wear an amulet, get the same single line of dialogue from every NPC you talk to (regardless of gender) and then marry them practically on the spot. Once you've gone through with your 'breakneck' romance they are now a shop with 2 bland lines of dialogue and a home cooked meal. It's really on a whole new level of shallow..

Fable is even worse imo, you spam a list of emotes and marry a nameless completely standard NPC; an NPC you couldn't pick out of a crowd because they are literally the same as the whole crowd..to have a nameless and completely standard family that does nothing and is nothing.

Captcha: "labour of love"..nicely done

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Skyrim and Fable never made a big deal about same sex marriage being available, it was simply there. In Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age it's a totally different story. The developers turned it into a marketing strategy, using it for publicity, so naturally the media snapped it up.

Not to mention in ME3 and DA:O, the gay aspect of the game wasn't exactly...subtle.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Because it's almost invisible. A very common instance of (mild) homophobia comes in the form of "I don't have a problem with gays, so long as they aren't in my face about it."

Bioware games are more in your face about it. I mean, gosh, it's so terrible when games shove you unwanted sexuality down your throat, isn't it? Imagine how terrible it must be for a straight woman or gay man to be constantly shoved T&A and female sexualisation/romance down their throats! Gosh, the same-sex romance haters are so right! We have NO idea whatsoever what it's like to experience something like that!

Captcha: tastes good. Yes, Captcha. Sarcasm DOES taste good.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
chiggerwood said:
Men who love the cock and women who enjoy a nice rack is a bit of a decisive issue in gaming culture nowadays. Between the gay Shepard controversy and the spectacular debacle going on in 'The Old Republic' it seems like whenever someone says "Maybe we should allow people the choice to enjoy the genitalia of their preference." Someone else must raise a flag in opposition, because of reasons, BUT we're not here to discuss that. You see a curious realization came upon me not too long ago that despite both the 'Fable' series and 'Skyrim' offering up genitalia enjoyment of your choosing and despite both being extremely popular I can't remember any huge controversy blowing through the culture like a tornado made of homophobia. With gay Shepard there were people acting as if we were to allow homosexuality in a game then in no time our children would be running around in gimp masks and assless chaps leading one another around on leashes and spanking each other for pleasure before lunch. With 'The Old Republic' homosexuality apparently only exist on one planet in the entire galaxy (which I'll assume offers the best in game ship interiors, fashion, and haircuts) which is clearly meant to appease the homosexual fans, but only serves to foster a feeling of segregation and patronization, because they want to pussyfoot around the concept of homosexuality with flimsy, inadequate corporate bullshit excuses so they don't offend right-wing shitheads, or lose right-wing shithead investors (please note: I'm not calling every right winger a shit head, just the shit heads there's plenty of left wing shit heads out there too but they're irrelevant to the conversation at this point), So the question I'm posing is how did 'Skyrim and 'Fable' slip by with little to no controversy, or uproars? Because honestly I can't really remember any.

CAPTCHA: toe the line

NEVER! Also you spelled tow wrong

Edit: Apparently the phrase is "Toe the line" you win this time captcha, but don't get cocky.
It largely comes down to the fact that the developers/creators intended for the same sex options to be there with Skyrim and Fable, where with Mass Effect and The Old Republic the writers did not. The issue basically came down to one of entitlement, especially when it came to Bioware which provided such content when they thought it fit, and didn't
when they did not.

Regardless of which side of the coin your on when it comes to gay rights, claims of entitlement, telling someone that they HAVE to give you something, pisses people off. This is what created the issue since even people who might otherwise support gay rights came out in basically telling the parts of the LGBT community that started making demands to go pound sand. In general you have to be fairly intolerant to go out and attack something like Fable or Skyrim where it's just there, and nobody makes a big thing out of it, but you don't have to be a bigot to resent the demands by a group of people that they are entitled to creators making content just for them.

It also has generated a lot of backlash due to such things being used for trolling. To put things into perspective when it came to ToR in paticular, the developers said flat out they weren't going to put homosexuals into Star Wars. They had no plans for it, it did not fit with anything they envisioned developing. Portions of the LGBT community got all huffy and Bioware eventually relented in saying that they would throw in a bit of content those the rather small minority of people that wanted it. This was taken by those demanding the content that this was a promise Bioware was going to rush this right out (it wasn't) and pretty much every 15 minutes you had someone going "where are all of our homosexuals?", this going on even when the very survival of the game was at stake, which shows some truely screwed up priorities. To be honest during a lot of this, it became less about representation in this case in paticular, and more about trolling the other side. Gays pretty much wanting obnoxious NPCs flirting with straight people who didn't want to be exposed to it, in order to annoy them and "make a point". The idea being the belief that Bioware was going to "bash" the anti-gay movement and those who just wanted to not be exposed to it, not caring what other people choose to do with their own time. Fast forward to now, where the issue has become "big" again, and we've seen the content added tastefully to the game with the next major content update. It's there for those that want it, but not anywhere that it's going to intrude on the straight majority that might not want to have to listen to it. Because it's not omni-present and annoying people you are looking at a small jihad of homo-trolls (for lack of a better term) who have been trying to claim that there is something wrong with it. Among them the accusations that the new planet "Makeb" or whatever is basically designed as a "homosexual segregation ghetto planet", which is so stupid it's unbelievable, since that planet is the hub for all of the new content, and as new content the gay stuff was unveiled on that planet along with the rest of it.

It's important to understand that liberals, can and do troll with their beliefs, as do minority groups like gays. I think there is an increasing amount of awareness to this, and your starting to see a bit of an attitude of "I support the issue, but not the trolling" and refusal to participate on attacks, provocation, and mockery of the other side, which has been manifesting as assaults on trolls trying to do that, that are often mistaken as attacks on the issue itself.

With Shepard, it was a similar kind of issue. The basic arguement came down to whether Shepard was supposed to be a direct projection of the person playing him/her (An Avatar) or their own, fully self-contained character. The latter being more true since you generally don't have any control over Shepard's personality or how the majority of the storyline turns out, everything going more or less the same way except for a few very specific "plug and play" plot points that affect little except for some later cinematics. No matter what you choose, Shepard is pretty much himself, and probably isn't like anyone playing him. The writers basically came out and said "we created Shepard, he/she is not gay" which is a writers perogattive to decide the sexual orientation of their characters. This caused an outcry of LGBT trolls, it went to the gaming media, Bioware relented, threw in a bit of content for the minority of people who really wanted it, and then much QQing ensued because again it wasn't as obnoxious and trolling of those who aren't comfortable with gays as they wanted it to be. Same story, differant issue, and the overall back and forth was pretty much the same thing.

The irony here is that the LGBT community has arguably annoyed one of the gaming communities they were most welcome in. Bioware's writers had in the past decided that their characters being gay fit them potentially, and allowed for those options without any prompting. Something that arguably made it an entitlement, and has encouraged trolls to insist that the writers have no choice but to insert homosexuality into everything because they decided to do it a couple of times when nobody else did.

Right now your getting a lot of upset people, who aren't anti-gay, have no objection to homosexulity in video games, but don't think there is any entitlement for it to be present, or that creators should lose their rights to create and be forced to always conform to the same things. As a result you had a lot of people who would normally be on the pro-gay side, actually siding with the anti-gay side, which made the battles in communities where those expressing opinions are usually incredibly liberal much louder and less once sided than they usually have been.

That's my observations on the subject, many people won't like what I've said, or agree with it, but as I've been watching it play out that's how it breaks down.

Those who are genuinely confused by the intensity of the issue in forums and communities that are typically VERY one sided, are those who haven't yet realized that not everyone taking a specific position (pro-gay, left wing, anti-sexism, etc...) is doing it out of a genuine desire to promote that position. Increasingly your seeing people try and "draw a line" in some pretty ridiculous places just so they can watch the sparks fly. Something which incidently undermines the legitimacy of a lot of those positions when real issues come up (assuming you agree with them to begin with).

Jun 11, 2009
Probably because the "marriage" thing in Skyrim is, like most of the game, atrocious. The NPCs are cardboard in the first place, there's no special dialogue, there's no courtship, the companion doesn't do anything, the sole way of interacting with your spouse is asking them for money . . .

. . .

Look, just read Robert Rath's column on it, okay? He eloquently points out every flaw with the system in a humourous and engaging way in under two pages, and you don't even have to venture outside the warm embrace of the Escapist.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/criticalintel/10056-Desperate-Housewives-of-Skyrim

Depressingly under-appreciated, that man.

I don't know how it is with Fable, but I think it received less attention because it's always been there. I think. Never played Fable, could easily be wrong.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Muspelheim said:
Well, firstly, the marriage feature in Skyrim wasn't much more than an afterthought, and sadly ridiculously shallow. Second, they never really used same-sex relations as part of the marketing blurb, it was just there. You could marry someone of your own gender and no one seemed to mind. It's rather refreshing, really, since it isn't nearly as big of a deal as some delightful people make it out to be.
Even if one of the fictional game people DID have a problem with it, you could just swing an axe in their face.

Lady Lucky

Bullet Dodger
Sep 4, 2012
I think it just comes down too how it was advertised. Honestly when I bought Skyrim I didn't even know you could have a love interest, let alone a same sex one.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Probably because marriage means nothing in Skyrim, and the game did nothing to try to advertise you could have same sex marriage?

I mean, what people usually complain about in same-sex-marriage games is how much they over do, and make it a big selling point of the game or something.

Skyrim didn't ave that.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I can only assumed it's because it wasn't advertised. Mass Effect was all about character relationships (in general, not just romantic) and player choice, but all the press around Skyrim was "ZOMG DRAGONS!" I didn't even know they had marriage, let alone same sex marriage, until I was exploring the wiki.

I always wonder why no one ever brings up the Sims when these discussions go on though. It always involves Bioware and then someone'll bring up Skyrim.

Fell

Apr 10, 2012
Honestly, i think it was because no one made a big deal out of it.

Not even Dragon Age:Origins got as much of an uproar about it either, i think it is more the pandering "look how progressive we are!!!" thing that annoys people. No one really gave a crap about Zevran enjoyed taking it in the rear.

Ofcourse there are still shitheads who hates homosexuality but is just how the world is, and they are luckily getting fewer and fewer.

Daw

Apr 6, 2009
Here is my two cents.
If any game makes a big deal about, delays or even acknowledges said same sex relationship features people will notice and descend to complain about it until they feel they have won the internet game and annoyed enough people.

If some sneaky game maker sneaks it in, then the mindless zombie-rage prats don't notice it and there is little to no rage, Until somebody from outside that group mentions it in some way, If its good normally theres no real reason to mention it, Because they'd just go make dev art of the female lead and X character making out like they do regardless of same sex relationships in game.

But if its bad, then bam the door opens and the "Its harmful to the people i am trying to convert to my make believe religion/other lame excuse" Flys out the mouths of everyone who is too self important to help people, but thinks that belittling/ranting/bitching at people is helping instead.

I don't care either way who really gives a flying fuck what people think, I don't care if you worship santa some god with 12 limbs or your baseball bat, What i dislike is the ass monkeys who think that they need to spread their religious message, And can they really think they're helping others by speaking down to them?

There is so much bad in this world that instead of running off their mouths they could be offering their time talking to troubled teens or abuse victims or anything else trying to make somebody else's life a little better, THEN they could try to sell their religion because the Religion helping people is what you want to show to others.

But no, Most these hate groups, Racists/Sexists/Gayists? All gather around each other because they want to feel superior because they are not superior in any sense of the word they are run of the mill people who are just overly self important, Thinking the actions of others will somehow get back to them like a massive cootie outbreak.

On a side note, I didn't even know you could marry people in skyrim i was too busy killing things to notice until i saw a video about it, and hording items LOL.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
Probably because no one cares. very rarely people look for stuff like that in gaming. Plot story action gore alcohol drugs nudity and sex are what drives hardcore fenatics. Gay stuff would not sell.

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
bastardofmelbourne said:
chiggerwood said:
With 'The Old Republic' they've basically segregated gays to a single planet (which I'll assume offers the best in game ship interiors, fashion, and haircuts)
Christ, why is this so persistent? I can't even tell if it's serious anymore.

I got no issue with the rest of your post, but gay NPCs are not segregated to Makeb. That's ridiculous. They're just bundling the same-sex relationships into the Makeb content patch. That means all of the new content is on Makeb, because Makeb is where people will be playing, and it makes zero sense to put new content somewhere people won't encounter it.

I mean, if they put all the gay NPCs on Coruscant or one of the other low-level areas, you could just as easily say that they're hiding their gays on rarely-visited planets so that nobody sees them. But some idiot journalist thought "SWTOR expansion introduces gay planet!" was an attention-grabbing headline, and suddenly Bioware are fans of gay apartheid. What the hell, games journalism? What the actual hell?
That, it's not like people are going to go back to Hoth, especially not for a flirt dialogue, understand how the game works before you criticize this. The "relationships" in the game are not half as deep as people made it out in their heads to begin with and where the hell else are they gonna put new content if not in the new planet where they extended the level cap? I stopped playing TOR because pvp was a joke and there was no more story for my main characters and their free to play model is the worst I've ever seem(they want me a returning player to pay 3 dollars to hide my ugly-ass future shogun helmet set piece? no way) but this is undeniably an ignorant point of view about the game.

Darken12 said:
Because it's almost invisible. A very common instance of (mild) homophobia comes in the form of "I don't have a problem with gays, so long as they aren't in my face about it."

Bioware games are more in your face about it. I mean, gosh, it's so terrible when games shove you unwanted sexuality down your throat, isn't it? Imagine how terrible it must be for a straight woman or gay man to be constantly shoved T&A and female sexualisation/romance down their throats! Gosh, the same-sex romance haters are so right! We have NO idea whatsoever what it's like to experience something like that!

Captcha: tastes good. Yes, Captcha. Sarcasm DOES taste good.
Hm... Not too sure how "in your face" they are. The only time I actually remember an npc coming on to me was Zevran on Dragon Age, I shot it down he understood and it never happened again even though he was my Rogue of choice and more than once in my party since then. I do not remember any character doing anything similar on Mass Effect 1,2 or 3 or even DA 2.

Jachwe

Jul 29, 2010
Cavan said:
Jachwe said:
The sum it up: The relationships in Mass Effect is as shallow as the relationship in Skyrim from the narrative's point of view and we players like these lovestories so much because it makes us feel potent within the narrative without actualy being potent.

On the topic: Well they are bioware games. Their publisher is EA thus they have a lot of visibility thus these games get discussed.
I see where you're coming from, but i'm going to have to disagree. The relationships may be ultimately quite superficial in a Bioware game, but at least it has a facade of depth. You do have to make an (however minor) effort to talk to that person and agree with their views and support them when they're not happy bunnies. That and you get a softcore sex scene to boot.

In Skyrim you: wear an amulet, get the same single line of dialogue from every NPC you talk to (regardless of gender) and then marry them practically on the spot. Once you've gone through with your 'breakneck' romance they are now a shop with 2 bland lines of dialogue and a home cooked meal. It's really on a whole new level of shallow..

Fable is even worse imo, you spam a list of emotes and marry a nameless completely standard NPC; an NPC you couldn't pick out of a crowd because they are literally the same as the whole crowd..to have a nameless and completely standard family that does nothing and is nothing.

Captcha: "labour of love"..nicely done
so you realy don't argue my point that the lovestory is superficial to the narrative of the Bioware games but try to divert the attention towards the plot of the lovestory which I agreed previously is much better in the Bioware games than in Fable or Skyrim thus we are not arguing that point and because we are not arguing that point you disagree with me on that point because the lovestory in Dragon Age was nice and fleshed out compared to Skyrim nontheless not contributing anything to the grand scheme of the important story of stopping the archdemon.
What are you disagreeing with?

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Advertising I believe. Same sex relations in Fable and Skyrim weren't necessarily the main selling points of the game so less people were aware of them than usual. Then you got Bioware announcing an entire planet for same sex relations and the world goes crazy.